2009/09/21 09:46:37 (permalink)

Man Stealing Lemonade ???

Senior Takes On Restaurant That Charged Him For 'Lemonade'

http://www2.tbo.com/conte...emonade/news-breaking/

21 Replies Related Threads

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/21 10:27:53 (permalink)
    What do you get when two cheapskates meet?
    Bad publicity.
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/21 10:31:43 (permalink)

That is completely absurd.  He should not have been charged.  However, I do feel the owner has the right to charge him, provided it is stated on a sign or on the menu.

It is similar to charging for mustard and ketchup.... you can do it if you want, but the customer has to be aware of the charges in advance.

I guess this restaurateur has never heard the saying, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade."
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/21 10:52:43 (permalink)
    The guy has too much time on his hands. Drink water, or order lemonade.

IMO the manager was correct when she said that asking for the second lemon wedge put it over the line; could he ask for 9 lemon wedges?

HOWEVER. The customer also has a point when he says the issue isn't the money, it is the inappropriate way that the charge was presented. I agree with his decision to never go back. But the rest of the matter, all the hoopla and hubbub? The guy has too much time on his hands.
    Eatallday
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/21 12:30:47 (permalink)
    lol i thought this was about the curb your enthusiasm episode last night.
    analei
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/21 13:08:45 (permalink)
    Seriously?
    I get water with lemon all the time, never been charged for it. So the man added sugar, so the resturant feels entitled to charge him for it. Why not charge him for the two packets of sweet and low if they have to be soo damn stingy?

Water with a slice of lemon and two packets of sweet and low does make lemonade.
    PopsDogHouse
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 779
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/21 13:36:59 (permalink)
    Any restaurant owner or manager that would charge a paying customer for an extra lemon wedge and two packets of Sweet and Low should have his/her head examined.  The consumer has so many choices when it comes to dining out.  The free market will take care of this restaurant.

Now, as far as the guy putting on his cape and being the Super Hero advocate for the poor downtrodden Seniors, well, that's just a load of crap.
    post edited by PopsDogHouse - 2009/09/21 13:40:21
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/21 14:02:47 (permalink)
    In my opinion, this guy is cheap!  If they have lemonade on the menu , he could have ordered it.  The fact that he did not order it and chose to make his own tells me that he tries to get away with things like that thinking it is the clever thing to do!

I see people do this all the time................I guess they think no one knows what they are doing or just do not care. 
    badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/21 17:36:06 (permalink)
    My wife and I do this about every time we go out to eat.I see nothing wrong with it,while I do feel charging $2.00 for a glass of tea or soda is a ripoff.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/21 17:51:23 (permalink)
    I guess Kwok doesn't give a senior citizen discount either.
    Roy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/21 18:25:57 (permalink)
    Never mind about the principle of the thing.  This guy is just a cheap old man with little to do.  The restaurant owner is trying to make a living off his business and you don't do that by giving things away and dealing with customers who are nothing more than nuisances.
    I wonder if he was there for "early birds" also.
    PopsDogHouse
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 779
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/21 20:50:13 (permalink)
    Roy

Never mind about the principle of the thing.  This guy is just a cheap old man with little to do.  The restaurant owner is trying to make a living off his business and you don't do that by giving things away and dealing with customers who are nothing more than nuisances.
    I wonder if he was there for "early birds" also.

As soon as a business owner starts to think of his customers as nuisances instead of the lifeblood of his business, he's in trouble.  And yes, this includes the difficult ones as well, as they are "opportunities".  Sweet and Low and sugar are staples on just about every restaurant table in America.  They are there for the use of the restaurant's patrons.  They are a cost of doing business, just as the lemon wedge is on a glass of water.  So basically, this guy got away with ONE extra lemon wedge.  Now considering that he purchased a meal at a profit margin of AT LEAST 60%, the owner of this establishment should be embarrassed at the very least.  He made an emotional decision because his perception was that somebody was taking advantage of him.  My guess is that he will pay for that decision.

myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/21 21:06:18 (permalink)
    I wouldn't want to be that restaurant owner..way too much bad publicity.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/21 21:24:43 (permalink)
    Some folks are like MacGyver with the food and beverages. No charge if they rearrange the items that would not include a charge otherwise. If he asked for enough lemons to make a pitcher...sorry no. If he had a flask of vodka there is a problem.

If tea was included for free and he rigged a cup of iced tea with tea ice sugar lemon...no charge. If there is not a posted sign or mention on the menu that prohibits turning lemons into lemonade...no charge. If there was a sign...oh boy. Not something you love but certainly something you live with. At the very least he should have been made aware that he was going to be charged for the lemonade project when the decision was made to include it on the bill.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/09/21 21:32:00
    boyardee65
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/22 04:18:33 (permalink)
     Some people who come into the restaurant where I work will order a cup of hot water and add their own tea bag. Usually, they will order food and then this is no problem. The problem arises when they do not order anything else. Heating water costs money, dish washers cost money, waiters cost money, chemicals cost money, an occupied table with no revenue cost a lot of money especially if it is a busy night. I can see the side of both parties but I am inclined to side with the owner of the restaurant in question. The patron should have been told that the NEXT time and thereafter if he continues the practice of making lemonade at his table, he will be charged.

JMHO

David O.
    beijinger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/22 06:10:20 (permalink)
          Easy solution do nothing don't dare charge him. Here in china we have fresh garlic for our customers some go crazy we just politely take the garlic to another customers table. one lemon wedge 2 sweet & lows should never be even an issue.
            We had a to go order  a guy took 72 chopsticks he looked at me when i grabbed the bag i smiled and counted handed him back the bag. 72 right have nice day. Next day he didn't take any lol.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/22 15:12:19 (permalink)
    One of the things that drives me nuts when we have a family get together at a restaurant and my ex shows up. She constantly rants about how expensive everything is and will make her own salad from tidbits off other plates at the table...but the worst part is the rant about her 'drink'. She does the lemon into water then sweeten routine...If she would shut up and do it without calling the attention of the whole family to her 'saving money to leave to them', I might just sit there quietly...but now I tend to order a beer, even if I don't really want one, and point out to my kids that I am spending their inheritence on Alcohol. 

That does seem to piss her off enough to shut her up til it is time for her to reach out to sample everyones dinner (she will choose soup and salad only often). Whoa be to the son who wants dessert... A whole new rant, and the fastest spoon at the table to get her 'sample'!!!

Even sitting at the opposite ends of long tables don't stop the rants from annoying me.  BTW this only happens once or twice a year...graduation dinner at Outback was the last time...and she 'sampled' one Lamb Rib from five (5) participants to have with her soup and salad, instead of ordering the Rack of Lamb for $18.00. It really is pathetic to watch, and worse to have to listen to the self-righteous B S.

If you want a drink, buy one, or drink water...don't make your own at the table !! And if you 'have to do it', be discrete and don't voice your economic philosophy during you poor-mannered actions.
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2464
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/22 15:53:45 (permalink)
    I think both sides made mistakes here.  The restaurant owner could have reacted by first speaking to Kinney and lettingn him know that he could do it that time and posted a sign that for future reference that there would be a nominal charge for it.  I know I don't like being blindsided by anything, so I think Kinney was mostly upset that this showed up on his bill with no warning or prior explanation.  Given that he had gone there many times for meals before and spent money presumably (according to his account) on food, the owner could have approached the situation with honey rather than vinegar.

Kinny could have let it go at that.  I don't think the owner was trying to take advantage of seniors, but just trying to keep his expenses down and nip a potential problem in the bud before it became bigger.  Word to the wise now, don't assume that it is okay to do that in any restaurant across the board.  I never would have thought of making my own lemonade at a restaurant before!

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/22 15:55:01 (permalink)
    mayor al 

If you want a drink, buy one, or drink water...don't make your own at the table !!

I agree 100 percent!  If I had to endure someone doing that while I was at the same table, I would have three beers!
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/22 16:09:45 (permalink)
    billyboy

I think both sides made mistakes here.  The restaurant owner could have reacted by first speaking to Kinney and lettingn him know that he could do it that time and posted a sign that for future reference that there would be a nominal charge for it.  I know I don't like being blindsided by anything, so I think Kinney was mostly upset that this showed up on his bill with no warning or prior explanation.  Given that he had gone there many times for meals before and spent money presumably (according to his account) on food, the owner could have approached the situation with honey rather than vinegar.

Kinny could have let it go at that.  I don't think the owner was trying to take advantage of seniors, but just trying to keep his expenses down and nip a potential problem in the bud before it became bigger.  Word to the wise now, don't assume that it is okay to do that in any restaurant across the board.  I never would have thought of making my own lemonade at a restaurant before!

I can't believe it really even  tastes like lemonade.

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/22 22:53:35 (permalink)
    My uneducated guess is that they were tired of the ten cent tip he would leave after running the waitress ragged, and they are glad to be rid of him.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Man Stealing Lemonade ??? 2009/09/23 01:39:19 (permalink)
    If a restaurant has a policy then it should be in writing prior to the incident.

That opens up the "right" to decide as you go...and that is not fair.

Say a patron orders an entree and desset is included. The patron does not want dessert but decides to give it to someone who ordered an entree that does not include dessert. The restaurant feels that the patron with the dessert opted out and a dessert charge is added to the bill.

No plate sharing charges are listed on the menu. A few partons exchange this and that from their orders. The restaurant feels that this is a substitution that would otherwise afford them extra orders of sides or an extra entree. A plate sharing fee is added to the bill.

If there is no written policy there should not be a charge. Especially without notification of the charge and the option (at that point) to have a real lemonade as the rigged lemonade is "confiscated".
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/09/23 10:51:31
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1