Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Foodosaurus
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 622
2009/10/14 12:20:59 (permalink)

Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut

This is a message that was sent to people on the "Specials" email list at Doogie's in Newington. Roadfood review.

Hiya Hiya,
This is a clarion call for all of you to help your favorite restaurant guy---me.
This Friday October 16th, from 5:00 until close, Man Vs. Food ( the travel channel food show ) is filming and doing a story on the world's longest hot dog, as well as the other things we do. As you all know, it's been a generally soft year, and winters are always tough. It would be a huge help if lots and lots of you came for dinner, so when the show airs, the T.V. audience will see the crowds and that will help attract lots of new people and help sustain us through the winter. If we do well enough, I have a monster surprise thank you coming up shortly. The only thing we won't be serving Friday evening is the Murder Burger ( AKA The Zaino Burger )

Simple request---hope you can make it.
Doogie

33 Replies Related Threads

Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/16 08:38:46 (permalink)

Today is the day!  I'll be there in my Yankees jersey!  Will any of my fellow Roadfooders be joining me?
    EatingTheRoad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/16 10:12:46 (permalink)
    I wish...sounds like a lot of fun. Report back for us....and "Go Yankees!"
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/16 12:47:59 (permalink)
    The best of luck from Dallas, Texas. I'll be there vicariously.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/16 21:43:26 (permalink)
    if I was still living in Newington, I'd be there.
    good luck
    when will it air?
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/17 20:20:23 (permalink)

Hello there ,

Wish I would have had some advance notice on this we could have made it a Hot Dog Meet and Greet . Hope it worked ourt for  you

Benzee
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/18 01:15:19 (permalink)

I was interviewed on the 6 o'clock NBC news, and the Hartford Courant posted this picture of me.

EatingTheRoad
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/18 09:37:39 (permalink)
    Awesome. How was the taping? Tell us a little about it? Did you really take down the dog? I've heard that people occasionally come in and chow down a couple for lunch...as a normal meal.
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/18 09:50:24 (permalink)
    Excellent - saw the interview on the news!
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/18 12:15:47 (permalink)
    I didn't eat a 2 footer the other day, but I have in the past.  The sign was based on a bumper sticker that Doogies used to have.

TnTinCT
    - How'd I do?  I think that's my first food related interview.  I haven't seen it yet, but my parents have it on a VHS for me, haha.

The taping didn't go the way I expected.  I arrived about twenty after four.  The place was packed to the gills.  And they kept yelling for people to leave because they were over fire code, yet they kept allowing more people in to order food.  I guess its all about the $$$. But it really should have been organized better. 

Then at about 6 o'clock, Adams van pulled in, someone got out, and the van left.  They told us that everyone had to get out or Adam wouldn't come in.  They said that they would select people to come back in for the taping, but that didn't happen.  Everyone pilled out into the parking lot.  About fifteen minutes later the van came back and everyone bum rushed it.  I stayed back a little bit and held my sign up.  I couldn't hear but I guess Adam acknowledged my sign.  He thanked everyone for coming, and then went in through the kitchen to start filming.

I stayed around for another fifteen minutes or so.  We came to find out that he wasn't doing an eating challege here, it was just a stop for the show.  I heard that he ate a two foot dog, which they did have on the menu that day.  They don't offer them regularly now, they have a 10" and a 16" on the menu these days.
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/18 16:57:35 (permalink)
    Interesting recap. I've heard he's become somewhat of a prima donna. So you left by 6:30ish? I wonder how long they actually tape/stay for.
    chacolla
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/23 16:58:46 (permalink)
    I was there too. It was pretty hectic...everything that foodosaurus said was true. They kicked EVERYONE out. I was there a little after three with a friend. We bought food and just let it sit on our plate so they couldn't kick us out, but it got so bad that they threatened to have the fire marshall come with the police and stuff. So everyone got kicked out, or else adam wasn't going to come in. I was able to get back in line and got food again, and the owner picked my friend and me to sit down for the taping. Everyone was saying that he was going to do a challenge, but he never did. He taped in the grill area for over an hour. Then, he stopped and the camera crew came out and got a couple quick shots of people eating food. They brought out for my friend, me, and one other guy I was with a 2 foot hot dog and asked us to tear it apart and eat it for the show. I snapped a quick picture with Adam outside and then he said he was done taping for the whole season and took a cab home. I left there right after he did, which was almost 8:30 PM. I was there for over 5 hours.

Monday morning at work, I got an email from a friend saying that Adam was doing a challenge in Manchester, CT. I flipped out and did some research and he was scheduled to do the challenger pizza there with one other guy for the show. It turns out they are doing a whole CT episode which is supposedly scheduled to air December 16th. He went to Woody's in Hartford, Doogie's in Newington, and the challenge was Randy's Wooster St. Pizza in Manchester.

Randy's set it up a LOT differently than Doogie's. They didn't allow anyone to come in unless they got a ticket. My buddy called me up and got 2 tickets from his friends so I got to go there and check it out. Randy's shut the door to the public at 6:00PM Monday night and only let in ticket holders. So, there was room to walk around and it wasn't packed in...it was full, but not packed.

The Challenge he did was called "The Challenger Pizza". It's a 22" stuffed pizza- stuffed with meats, cheeses, and vegetables. It weighs 10 pounds. It's a 2-man job, and it has to be eaten within 1 hour. It's only been completed ONCE, and the guy who joined adam was some mid-20s kid who was part of the team that beat it.

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, and according to the producers of the show, I'm not legally allowed to, so I won't.

At Doogie's, Adam did not want to talk to ANYONE. He wanted to get in, film, and get out. At Randy's Pizza, he was the most outgoing and laid back guy I have ever seen. He was really pumped up and you could tell he actually wanted to be there. I had a blast and it was so much more fun than sitting on my ass all day at Doogie's waiting for him to show up. It was also a lot of fun seeing how the show is filmed. Whenever Adam interviews someone (like when they are sitting down and eating), the producers make him do 2 or 3 takes each time! They want to make sure they get the best shot, so he asks the person the same questions 3 times in a row! I had awesome seats and got to see the challenge unfold, and the crowd was absolutely insane...I've never heard a group of people cheer that loud for anything before. Chanting Man Vs Food is a lot of fun

I know for a fact that the cameraman got a TON of shots with me and my friend, and we were both wearing our jackets at Doogie's and at Randy's. I can't wait for the editors to start looking at the film and see us at both locations...I also can't wait to see myself in HD on the Travel Channel!
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/23 17:09:57 (permalink)

Chacolla - First off, Welcome to Roadfood.  Glad to hear you made it to Randy's to see the challenge.  I had a good time at Doogies, but they weren't prepared at all.  Glad to hear that Randy's did a better job.  That challege sounds crazy. 

What jackets were you wearing? So that way, we'll be able to find you when the episode airs.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/23 17:42:46 (permalink)
    Foodosaurus, thanks for the update.  I ate lunch at Doogie's on Tuesday and got an earful about the taping from the cashier.  Sad, really.

The hot dog, however, was great!    Chris
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/23 18:51:34 (permalink)
    Chacolla nice recap on both tapings...we'll be watching you in a bit Did you have to sign waivers? He looks like he's put quite a bit of weight on since his first few shows I don't blame him for taking some time off and getting back down a little. He's been on quite a tear...it's got to take a toll on his body. I bet he'll enjoy not having to do a challenge for a little.     

ayersian what did the cashier say that was so poor about the taping? Did she concur with what these two said? I'm just curious to an employees perspective.
    chacolla
    Junior Burger
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/24 15:46:33 (permalink)
    I was wearing a black zipper fleece, my friend was wearing a bright red hoodie with a black and white under armour hat and he's got a beard. They got close ups of us eating philly cheesesteaks and the 2 foot hot-dog at doogies.

At Randy's, they got us in the background behind the challenge a bit, and then at the end I volunteered to be be part of the 'crowd' that asks questions. I didn't ask a question, but you'll definitely be able to see me waving my hand, screaming "adam! adam! adam!" and three people directly in front of me asked a question and I was sitting there looking directly in the camera.

Oh and I highly recommend Randy's Wooster St. Pizza. They have FANTASTIC wings, and the pizza is very good. Because it was a Monday night, their regular specials applied- $9.00 per person all you can eat wings and pizza, and 3 dollar pitchers. Smoking good deal, you figure for 15 bucks a person after a good tip and you're stuffed and blasted by the end of the night. I'm thinking this is a fantastic deal for Monday Night Football
    post edited by chacolla - 2009/10/24 15:48:14
    waydeg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/24 20:00:38 (permalink)
    EatingTheRoad

Interesting recap. I've heard he's become somewhat of a prima donna. So you left by 6:30ish? I wonder how long they actually tape/stay for.

That's a d#$@ shame because he comes across like one of the guys on camera... someone you'd sit down with, drink a beer and pig out on wings and dogs.
    Hope he comes down to earth and remembers what it was like to work in the biz.
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/24 20:17:33 (permalink)
    I had only heard that...not sure if it's factual. He does seem very cool and down to earth. From the sounds of what chacolla said he can be both apparently. Seems like he was a bit moody the first night but really into the challenge and friendly the next.
    chacolla
    Junior Burger
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/25 11:59:19 (permalink)
    EatingTheRoad

I had only heard that...not sure if it's factual. He does seem very cool and down to earth. From the sounds of what chacolla said he can be both apparently. Seems like he was a bit moody the first night but really into the challenge and friendly the next.

Well, you guys gotta remember- this is his job. How many days have you gone into work and had a great day, where you were in a great mood? And how many days have you gone in and it was just a really crappy day and you just wanted to go in, do your job, and leave? You have your good days, and you have your bad...

I'm willing to bet that the reason he was so adamant on leaving quickly was because Doogie's organized the event so poorly. They were supposed to arrive at 4:30PM but he didn't show until almost 6:00PM. Apparently, they were circling the Berlin Turnpike and saw how many people were there, and the producer wouldn't allow Adam to enter until everyone left...and those who were at Doogie's know how that went. No one wanted to leave. So, he was already running late and he had a job to do...I can't blame the guy for being upset and irritable.

Now, Randy KNEW what he was getting in to. He properly set it up and only allowed a certain number of people to enter. He gave Adam and the producers plenty of room to breathe and do their job. He made their lives and jobs easier, and for that, I understand why Adam was in such a good mood and ready to please a crowd. It was a great night! I can't wait for it to air!
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/25 12:46:11 (permalink)
    Yeah...I'm not blaming him for being that way just curious...it's always interesting to find out whether or not a TV personality is the same on and off the camera. I wonder how some of the other food show people are (Guy Fieri, Bobby Flay, Rachel Ray, etc.) when they're off camera.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/25 12:51:24 (permalink)
    Looks like this TV production crew pissed off a columnist for the Hartford Courant:
    http://www.courant.com/entertainment/celebrity/java/hc-nujavatop1017.artoct17,0,2036470.column
    David_NYC
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/25 12:59:47 (permalink)
    chacolla
    I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, and according to the producers of the show, I'm not legally allowed to, so I won't.

The producers who work for low-end NYC-based television and cable TV shows have a pretty poor reputation for honesty.  They know they probably will never see the people they lie to again, so they don't worry about having to eat a knuckle sandwich.
    About the "illegal" claim, did you receive any "consideration"? Free food, cash, etc? A ticket to gain admission is not consideration - its just like a reservation at a restaurant. If you paid for your food, teach that producer a lesson and spam every messge board on the Internet with what you saw.
    David_NYC
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/25 13:26:47 (permalink)
    I found that story that Foodosaurus wrote about on WVIT-TV's website:
    http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/station/as-seen-on/Man_Versus_Huge_Hotdogs_All__National_.html 

Listen closely to the reporter's comments about the media and customers being asked to leave, and the restaurant's account of what they were told by TTC's producer.
    post edited by David_NYC - 2009/10/25 18:26:37
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/25 13:38:19 (permalink)
    EatingTheRoad ayersian what did the cashier say that was so poor about the taping? Did she concur with what these two said? I'm just curious to an employees perspective.

Not much, except that it was crazy crowded and latecomers couldn't get in, implying that she felt bad for those who couldn't get a bite to eat.  I came away from that conversation thinking that it was a case of poor planning -- or just space issues in general, because the place is small and the parking lot is the same.  That Doogie's is on a one-way section of the turnpike only aggravates the matter. 

I learned all the details here in this thread, though.  I treat all these trendy food shows the same: the day one of them gives credit to Roadfood and the Sterns will be a better day.    Chris

EatingTheRoad
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/10/25 13:40:17 (permalink)
    ayersian
    I treat all these trendy food shows the same: the day one of them gives credit to Roadfood and the Sterns will be a better day.    Chris

Here, here!
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/12/15 08:32:27 (permalink)
    The show airs tomorrow (12/16) on Travel Channel (10pm EST)
    chacolla
    Junior Burger
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/12/18 10:16:21 (permalink)
    They cut so much stuff out of the episode! All my close up shots at Doogie's were cut haha, but I did see myself cheering MULTIPLE times throughout the Pizza challenge. It sucks that this show is only a half-hour. There were so many other great parts during that challenge that should have been shown. And also, "Moomsie" took slices of pizza out of Adam's hands TWICE, not just once. And they made it seem like Moomsie had finished his half of the pizza with only 5 minutes to go...no, that didn't happen. He finished it with more than 20 minutes to go, and Adam was stopped and hit a wall. Moomsie kept taking pieces from Adam. In the end, he ate about 65% of the pizza while Adam ate about 35%. It DID come down to the wire exactly the way it was shown, and the suspense was awesome haha.

I've been to all 4 restaurants multiple times except for Woody's. I try to stay away from downtown Hartford as much as possible, but that pulled pork Hot Dog looked amazing so I will be there soon. It was fun to watch an episode that I could relate to...and see myself in!!
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/12/18 10:43:36 (permalink)
    Cool!

If I'm not mistaken this is you buddy:

Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/12/18 10:52:52 (permalink)

EatingTheRoad - Thank you for posting the link to the video.  My parents' VHS tape was all screwy.  I'm thankful for this digital version.... My parents really need to get DVR already.

I was surprised how quickly they glazed  over the visit to Doogie's on the show Wednesday.  They usually don't visit 4 places on one episode. 

I'm going to have to make a trip downtown to try Woody's now.  That pulled pork dog looked fantastic.  I

had never even heard of Woody's till the day of the taping when someone mentioned Adam had been there earlier in the day.  I looked up the location, and it is practically across the street from where  Rosco's used to be.  Has anyone been there?  Why is there not much about it on Roadfood?

ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Man Vs Food to make Roadfood appearance in Connecticut 2009/12/18 12:08:53 (permalink)
    Foodsaurus, I wrote a RFDigest article on Woody's, and the owner had mixed feelings about it in the comments section -- which, I imagine, led to a few more dogs being sold that week.  I didn't review it because Rosco's was already reviewed, but since they've closed, maybe I need to revisit Woody's.   Chris
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1