Helpful ReplyManeros?

Author
Medrare
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2007/04/15 12:34:13 (permalink)

Maneros?

I need help winning a debate, when I was a child in Westchester county New York we ate at a Maneros Steak House that was in or near the Scarsdale, White Plains area, I’m talking mid to late 1960s. I don’t know if they were associated with the Connecticut Maneros, but I defiantly remember going there, my older brother and sister verified it, I seem to remember it being by or off Central Ave, in Yonkers, At least to get there we took central ave. Again this would be early to late 1960s. Can any New Yorkers help me out on this?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18447
RE: Maneros? 2007/04/15 12:44:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Medrare

I need help winning a debate, when I was a child in Westchester county New York we ate at a Maneros Steak House that was in or near the Scarsdale, White Plains area, I’m talking mid to late 1960s. I don’t know if they were associated with the Connecticut Maneros, but I defiantly remember going there, my older brother and sister verified it, I seem to remember it being by or off Central Ave, in Yonkers, At least to get there we took central ave. Again this would be early to late 1960s. Can any New Yorkers help me out on this?

The following is from a Manero's site:

"The success caused the Manero family, and some friends, to open other Manero’s Restaurants in the surrounding area. Other locations included Westport, Paramus, Syosett, Manhattan and then Hallandale, West Palm Beach, Margate and Palm City.

"All were very successful with most lasting for 20 years or more! Today only two remain, Palm City and Syosett, along with the sister J. Arthur’s in Maggie Valley, NC."
Medrare
Junior Burger
RE: Maneros? 2007/04/15 12:56:41 (permalink)
Thanks

Must have been unaffiliated.

I lived next to the now defunct Hallandale location, that was sold several times before succumbing to road construction. Back in the day they were hard to beat.
caratzas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: Maneros? 2007/04/15 19:33:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Medrare

Must have been unaffiliated.

Maybe not. There used to be a Manero's in Poughkeepsie on Rte. 9 about a mile/two North of the IBM complex. This would have been 30+ years ago. Pretty sure they were affiliated 'cause they had the same chef's hat logo, but no mention of that one on the site either.
Medrare
Junior Burger
RE: Maneros? 2007/04/22 19:28:56 (permalink)
By the way, the debate got to the point were all involved (it was at a small party) called the owner of Maneros in Connecticut, he verified that there was a place just outside of Yonkers right were I remembered it as a kid.

For once I was right
GCD1962
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Maneros? 2007/04/25 22:59:22 (permalink)
Same name, but some were owned & operated by relatives. The one's Nick Sr owned & ran were the one in Greenwich and the one in FL. Nick Jr sold it a few years ago and buildings are now vacant (land is worth much more than anyone could make running a restaurant for a hundred years)
AngelaNJ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Maneros? 2007/04/27 04:05:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Twinwillow 2014/07/06 19:08:52
Ah, Maneros. That brought back memories I haven't thought about in years. My parents frequented the one in Manhasset for many years in the mid 60's just before I was born. Their three favorite waiters--Chickie, Andy, and Milton sent the most gorgeous bouquet of flowers when my Mom had me (OK--both parents worked and they had no kids yet, so I guess they went there often to be such regulars :-)

As a yound girl, we ate at Maneros many Saturday nights. Those three waiters treated me like a little princess. I especially remember being there on a Christmas Eve when I was real little and was excited for Santa to arrive later that night. Like I said, some great memories about that place.

Oh--and yes, the food! I can still remember the taste of their awesome garlic bread and that gorgonzola vinaigrette on the salad was just so good. And their steaks were fabulous, considering they ran a butcher shop right next to (actually part of) the restaurant where you could watch them through the window cutting the steaks. Yeah, I guess as a kid my parents exposed me to some sophisticated dining at a young age. While my friends were eating at McDonald's, I was going out to Manero's and Peter Luger's every weekend with my folks.

On my next trip home to long Island, I may have to convince my hubby to go to the one left in Syosset so the kids can experience it. I am sure it won't be the same as I remember, bu it may be fun for the kids to go to one of mom's favorite places as a kid.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 828
RE: Maneros? 2007/05/11 13:45:08 (permalink)
Last night I took the wife to the Manero's in Syosset. There is a Manero's store there, but the restaurant is now called Fulton and Prime. I was looking for that nostalgic experience, salad, steak and dividend cocktails. It didn't quite fulfill my hopes but it was a good meal. My favorite part was the Gorgonzola heart of lettuce salad, so I assume it is connected to Manero's.

As I recall, wasn't Al Dowd's restaurant (Not Beefalo) connected to Manero's too? They also did that butcher shop thing.

While I have this nostalgia thing going, is there still a Patricia Murphy's around?

the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: Maneros? 2007/05/11 14:55:37 (permalink)
Al Dowd was a son-in-law if I am not mistaken. His place in Centerport had the same menu as manero's. We ate there often when I lived in Huntington, we loved the place. But then Al Dowd's closed it's doors and silently slipped away. Years later when living in Greenwich Ct I frequented Manero's and unfortunately saw it's doors closed also.

I think I was a jinx.

GCD1962
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Maneros? 2007/05/12 22:09:16 (permalink)
Couldn't have been a son-in-law. Nick Manero had two children, Nick, Jr (who later owned and ran the Greenwich restaurant) and a daughter Lita (we were good friends in high school). As far as I know she did not marry anyone named Dowd.
Medrare
Junior Burger
RE: Maneros? 2007/05/15 21:48:52 (permalink)
There was a Maneros like Steak House in South Florida for years called Dan Dowd, gorganzola dressing, butcher shop next door.
Deb Rock
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Maneros? 2008/04/25 23:59:45 (permalink)
When I was a teenager in 1968, I was a mother's helper for a family in Ardsley, New York. The father of the family was Theodore Newman who managed and/or owned Manero's restaurant in Scardsale, NY. I still have a copy of the menu which was in the shape of a chef's hat. The address was 313 Central Avenue, Scarsdale; telephone 761-4900.

If anyone has any information on the Newman family (Theodore and Joyce and their children, Ricky, Glenn, Beth, and Jeffrey), please let me know. I am now retired and am just curious about them.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Maneros? 2008/04/26 07:16:34 (permalink)
Yes, there was a Manero's off of Central Avenue in the 1960's. I ate there. It was on the west side of Central Avenue, somewhere between Harsdale and Yonkers.
RDRHODA
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Maneros? 2008/04/26 12:06:41 (permalink)
Hello!

Does anyone know what happened to Maner's recipes for salad dressing or steaksauce??? Thank you.

rdrhoda
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Maneros? 2008/04/27 06:05:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RDRHODA

Hello!

Does anyone know what happened to Maner's recipes for salad dressing or steaksauce??? Thank you.

rdrhoda

Evidently one can order "Manero's Salad Dressing" here:

http://www.manerosgorgonzola.com/
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 828
RE: Maneros? 2014/07/06 18:14:09 (permalink)
Time to revive this thread.  I'm doing some research for a forthcoming trip to judge BBQ in Maggie Valley NC and I find a menu for J. Arthur's that features Manero's garlic bread and Gorgonzola salad.  Does this place have a connection to the Manero's of old or just to whomever bought the assets of the remaining Florida outpost?

http://jarthurs.com/menu.html

Another odd tidbit is this news piece about a Florida David Manero (related to Nick?) is having some difficulty relating to a deal with Danny DeVito.

http://miami.eater.com/ar...stealing-1-million.php
RDRHODA
Junior Burger
RE: Maneros? 2014/07/07 00:56:23 (permalink)
I remember Manero's (Greenwich, late eighties) salad dressing consisting of:
Crumbled gorgonzola (probably Stella or local food service, inexpensive,
domestic) ) ex virgin olive oil, white vinegar, salt, pepper. I bought
gallons of the stuff, 1/2 pint at a time. The garlic bread was not rocket
science either....The secret was having a "relationship" w one of the
butchers so to speak. A special friend....
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1311
RE: Maneros? 2014/07/07 18:04:16 (permalink)
The site of the Manero's in Paramus has since hosted one Yuppie restaurant after another. Unless it's some sort of scam a la the old Steak & Brew, etc. in New York City, I am trying to figure out what goes through the heads of the new owners. "Hmmmm.... Well, every two years or so, a new Yuppie restaurant comes in here, and goes out of business. I wonder what WOULD succeed here. Hmmmmm... I know! A new Yuppie restaurant!!!!!"

Bart
mattmarsch
Junior Burger
RE: Maneros? 2014/08/29 16:27:02 (permalink)
Gorgonzola salad dressing brought back big memories. Never heard of it until I went there with my girlfriend. Young, inexperienced buy I was/am. 

I believe Al Dowd's was well known for his "beefalo", and had biker type stop on top of the hill on 25A from Cold Spring Harbor Labs. Another place in Northport for sure. 
Not to downplay Manero's but, I have to say the best steak I ever had on LI was at Mckloskies (pardon the spelling) on the south shore of LI. I believe around Bellmore area. 

Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1