Manhattan Diner Obituary

Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18493
2008/04/04 19:36:28 (permalink)

Manhattan Diner Obituary

NEW YORK (AP) -- The overheated New York real estate market has claimed another classic diner.

The Cheyenne Diner, a railway car-inspired eatery down the street from Penn Station, will serve its last meal Sunday.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DINER_DEMISE?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

7 Replies Related Threads

billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2410
    RE: Manhattan Diner Obituary 2008/04/04 22:05:16 (permalink)
    That's too bad. I can't believe I've never seen this diner before. I've spent many a night walking down that street.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Manhattan Diner Obituary 2008/04/05 08:12:00 (permalink)
    While doing a job in the big apple I would come out of Penn St and
    walk to the Cheyenne to buy 3 coffees for the 2 installers and me.
    Walk another 2 blocks to the job.

The Cheyenne was in exactly the right location, but it won't be
    anymore and I won't be there either. 9th Ave isn't Park Ave
    by a long shot, but I guess someone wants to build and a diner
    gets in the way. New York, New York it's a helluva town.
    Slim Strummer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Manhattan Diner Obituary 2008/04/07 10:33:13 (permalink)
    Not surprising, but still a melancholy passing.

That was the first place I ate a club sandwich. It was an epiphany (even though I am not sure they made the best in town or not).

R.I.P.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 828
    RE: Manhattan Diner Obituary 2008/04/07 20:44:21 (permalink)
    A nice send off on forgotten-ny.com........

http://forgotten-ny.com/STREET%20SCENES/cheyenne/cheyenne.html

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 828
    RE: Manhattan Diner Obituary 2008/04/10 10:25:49 (permalink)
    The diner may not be dead yet; there's a possibility it may be moved to Coney Island.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/04/10/2008-04-10_cheyenne_diner_may_rise_from_the_dead-1.html
    jettababs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Manhattan Diner Obituary 2008/04/10 11:27:33 (permalink)
    That's too bad, hopefully it will be reborn in Coney Island. I ate there several years ago with a friend, had one of the best grilled cheese/tomato sandwiches ever, and my dad ate there back when it was still the Market Diner.
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Manhattan Diner Obituary 2008/04/23 14:02:55 (permalink)
    The Cheyenne Diner is moving to Brooklyn, but not to Coney Island:

http://weblogs.amny.com/entertainment/urbanite/blog/2008/04/breaking_cheyenne_saved_and_mo.html

Cheyenne saved and moving to Red Hook

One of New York’s last railcar-style diners will live on, but hash will now be slung on the Red Hook waterfront, miles from its 68-year midtown home.

A construction manager bought the Cheyenne Diner, which served comfort food at 33rd Street and Ninth Avenue until closing April 6, and plans to relocate it to the Brooklyn neighborhood in the next month, a preservationist said yesterday.

Mike O’Connell, of O’C Construction and the son of a noted Red Hook developer, signed a contract to purchase the chrome-covered structure for $5,000 and will now work on securing permits to transport it to its new home.

Preservationist Michael Perlman, who formed the Committee To Save The Cheyenne Diner, was elated.

“It will gain a new lease on life in Red Hook, Brooklyn, and contribute to the appeal of an up and coming neighborhood," he said in an email.

The Cheyenne closed to make way for a nine-story residential and commercial development. Perlman began working with the owner of the building and the land beneath it, George Papas, in hopes of finding a buyer who would pay to relocate the diner within the five boroughs.

O’Connell, who was out of the country and unavailable for comment yesterday, was one of the first prospective buyers to come forward. He enlisted a man who restores diners for a living to move and refurbish the neon-lit icon to its 1940s splendor, Papas said.

It is unclear when the diner will be able to open, but it can’t happen soon enough for prospective patrons.

“I can’t begin to tell you how many people are excited about it in Red Hook,” said Greg O’Connell, who is the new owner's father and a force in Red Hook's redevelopment. “It’s a great thing, and my son is so excited over this.”
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1