Manny's in Chicago

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2004/05/14 10:26:47 (permalink)

Manny's in Chicago

I ate at Manny's for lunch yesterday and am glad to report it's still top-notch. I haven't had a NY corned beef sandwich in a few years, but I'd be surprised if they were any better than the ones at Manny's. There's way too much to pick up in a sandwich - you end up eating it with your fork and fingers. The guys behind the counter always tease customers. Hint - if you joke back, they'll slice more corned beef for your sandwich.

The potato pancake that comes with the sandwich is still excellent, as is the cherry pie for dessert. Prices are stiff - however. The sandwich, a drink and a piece of pie cost me $15. I saved some money by walking back to work downtown - about a 15-minute trek. How come so many great Roadfood places are off the beaten path?

15 Replies Related Threads

tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/05/14 11:39:07 (permalink)
    danimal: I agree that Manny's is still excellent. The corned beef is delish and the pastrami is just as good. I recommend a corned beef/pastrami combo.

But I never get either when I am there because the roast beef sandwich is one of a kind. Where else can you get a hand sliced roast beef sandwich?

I also pass on the potato pancake and opt for an apple slice for dessert.
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/05/14 13:03:37 (permalink)
    My favorite meal there is the "Mac and Perch" on Fridays. It was orginally fried lake perch with macaroni and cheese. When the lake perch supplies became limited they switched to walleye fillets and they couldn't be better. They put about a pound and half of fish on the plate and then pile as much macaroni and cheese on as they can fit (sometimes a little more even). It's heaven.
    jlobough
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/05/14 15:14:21 (permalink)
    danimal: I couldn't agree more about Manny's. The corned beef sandwich at Manny's is one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. I'm also a fan of the potato pancake. I'm almost embarassed to say I've never had any other sandwich than the corned beef.

It used to be easier to get there when I worked at UIC (University of Illinois Chicago for all the non-Chicago readers), but now it seems like a further trek from my office in the Loop. As locations go in Chicago, it's out of the way, but well worth the trip.
    danimal15
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/05/14 17:00:47 (permalink)
    tsores:

I've never tried the roast beef there, but next time I will, if I can resist the corned beef. The turkey special there on Tuesdays is also sublime. Kind of like leftovers the day after Thanksgiving. Thanks for the tip.
    Vital Information
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/05/24 17:18:06 (permalink)
    A great pic of the Manny's roast beef sammy can be found here:

http://www.chowhound.com/midwest/boards/chicago/messages/49065.html

daveritzdog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/05/29 21:24:28 (permalink)
    My favorite anecdote about Manny's, and you may have already heard this, is that a local rival politician once tried to spread a rumor that the current mayor was spotted at Manny's chowing down on a corned beef sandwich on WHITE BREAD WITH MAYO!!!!!!! This was of course, not true, as the mayor's people stated that he likes his corned beef on RYE BREAD WITH MUSTARD, the normal way, as it was meant to be. Imagine the horror of people believing an ethnic culinary mistake, and an ugly rumor! Only in Chicago, folks, only in Chicago!
    FOODismyLIFE
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/10/13 01:12:10 (permalink)
    Manny's Corned Beef Sandwich is one of the great ones. Jake's in Milwaukee, Katz' Deli(NYC), Second Avenue Deli (NYC), Carnegie (NYC), and the Stage Deli (NYC) are certainly in the "team picture". But as far as the Pastrami... NOTHING BEATS THE DELI IN NYC! As a Chicagoan, it pains me to say this...
    mek
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/10/13 08:11:09 (permalink)
    You forgot Attmann's in Baltimore (est.1915). More food for the money and superb quality.
    Ask the Yankee fans who come to town.
    Warped-5
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/11/04 15:08:40 (permalink)
    Deli in downtown Chicago?

Don't overlook Perry's!

A little less pricey, too....
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/11/04 15:49:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Vital Information

A great pic of the Manny's roast beef sammy can be found here:

http://www.chowhound.com/midwest/boards/chicago/messages/49065.html

Now you talkin', baby.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/11/05 06:59:22 (permalink)
    Vital Information; killer pic!!! Thanks!
    danimal15
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/11/05 10:02:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Warped-5

Deli in downtown Chicago?

Don't overlook Perry's!

A little less pricey, too....

I have to respectfully disagree. I've been to Perry's a number of times and never found it anything but mediocre (I order the corned beef). It particularly disgusted me that when I ordered corned beef, they asked me if I wanted cheese on it. No traditional deli worth its salt would even think about putting cheese on a corned beef. As for the one served at Perry's, maybe they were on to something, because cheese might have actually improved this sandwich.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. But I work two blocks away from Perry's and never feel the urge to try it again.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3304
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/11/05 13:10:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by FOODismyLIFE

Manny's Corned Beef Sandwich is one of the great ones. Jake's in Milwaukee, Katz' Deli(NYC), Second Avenue Deli (NYC), Carnegie (NYC), and the Stage Deli (NYC) are certainly in the "team picture". But as far as the Pastrami... NOTHING BEATS THE DELI IN NYC! As a Chicagoan, it pains me to say this...

Yesterday, I had my first corned beef sandwich at Jake's Deli in Milwaukee. I was raised on the west side eating corned beef at Manny's and the original Sam & Hy's on Roosevelt and Keeler(one block from my childhood home). Jake's makes the best corned beef sandwich I've ever eaten.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13510
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/11/05 14:13:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:
    Originally posted by FOODismyLIFE

Yesterday, I had my first corned beef sandwich at Jake's Deli in Milwaukee. I was raised on the west side eating corned beef at Manny's and the original Sam & Hy's on Roosevelt and Keeler(one block from my childhood home). Jake's makes the best corned beef sandwich I've ever eaten.

The Sundancer has been to Jakes many times. If you want a corned beef or pastrami, IMO, this is one of the best. It is hot, tender, thick and fresh. Place ain't much to look at and the sides are not such a huge selection but the sandwich is wonderful. Rumor has it that it is partially owned by the commissioner of baseball. Best I remember the selection of soft drinks were different? The neighborhood is not the best.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3304
    RE: Manny's in Chicago 2004/11/05 14:48:18 (permalink)
    Paul,
    I had a Dr.Brown's Black Cherry soda. Jake's has variety of the Dr. Brown's sodas, juices, and some soft drinks of unknown origin. It's located west of the interstate on North Avenue in an urban area that might take some out of their comfort zone, similar to the Manny's Deli neighborhood. I parked in front and had a great time conversing with the customers while waiting for my number to be called.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1