Maple Country Sausage

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2358
Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/05/15 17:14:05 (permalink)
euclid

I am down south as of this writing. I travel north in two weeks where I have all of my sausage making notes as well as several books on the subject. I'll be in touch at that time and give you any info you might be interested in.
  In reference to your last post. I agree to putting in anything that tastes good to you in your sausage. That's the joy, well part of the joy, of making your own. On liquid in breakfast sausage. I do not recall putting liquid in my sausage grind and it comes out textured as other sausage products. With bologna, I use some very cold water when emulsifying the meat (I have no clue whether this is spelled correctly). This gives the bologna the bologna texture we are used to. Probably the same as dogs but not sure.
  I'll be in touch after I review my notes

Thx, have fun down South, drive safe going home...........pnwc
euclid
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 191
Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/06/04 21:15:42 (permalink)
    PNWC - Sorry so tardy for the response. We had a bitch of a drive from Key Largo to Old Forge. The construction around DC is an acid trip and further more, I was unable to stop in Scranton PA for my cheese steak. I hope Joe sees this thread..
   To the meat. No idea how far you wish to get into the sausage thing. I do it for a hobby. The suggested reading attached I believe to be adequate for the enthusiast as well as the guy/gal trying to make a buck. Referencing your comment regarding "putting in what your taste buds like" is where I go.
   My bible for sausage is :

Great Sausage Recipes And Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas
and then:

"Home Sausage Making" by Susan Mahnke Peery & Charles G. Reavis
   If you want to "bump it up", consider:
"Salumi" by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn
"Charcuterie" by the same guys listed above.
   I enjoy this hobby and take tremendous pleasure when my buddies at hunting camp get into the chow. Happy to fill in the gaps for you.
Euclid

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10107
Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/06/04 21:48:17 (permalink)
I know a lot of people like it, but to me putting Maple Syrup in your sausage is like putting cheap ketchup on a Prime Steak!
pnwchef
Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/06/04 22:35:47 (permalink)
euclid

PNWC - Sorry so tardy for the response. We had a bitch of a drive from Key Largo to Old Forge. The construction around DC is an acid trip and further more, I was unable to stop in Scranton PA for my cheese steak. I hope Joe sees this thread..
  To the meat. No idea how far you wish to get into the sausage thing. I do it for a hobby. The suggested reading attached I believe to be adequate for the enthusiast as well as the guy/gal trying to make a buck. Referencing your comment regarding "putting in what your taste buds like" is where I go.
  My bible for sausage is :

Great Sausage Recipes And Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas
and then:

"Home Sausage Making" by Susan Mahnke Peery & Charles G. Reavis
  If you want to "bump it up", consider:
"Salumi" by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn
"Charcuterie" by the same guys listed above.
  I enjoy this hobby and take tremendous pleasure when my buddies at hunting camp get into the chow. Happy to fill in the gaps for you.
Euclid

Euclid, As far as I know every post has to get a stamp of approval from Joe Rogo. I wish we were crossing paths, I will be in Philly in a week. I will make sure to have a Philly for you, maybe even a Roast Pork.............Anyway, The thing I really like about making sausage is, every batch is your original. I liked this sausage I show here, I used Beef short ribs, spices and the liquid made it like an emulsion ( Hot dog mix ). Once I get the consistency down, I can always alter the spices and heat. I like the amount of Fat that the Beef short ribs gave me, I know it was more than a 80/20 mix............Thx for the info ................take care..........Bill

pnwchef
Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/06/04 22:38:23 (permalink)
Foodbme

I know a lot of people like it, but to me putting Maple Syrup in your sausage is like putting cheap ketchup on a Prime Steak!

check the price of Pure Maple syrup and get back to me..................
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10107
Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/06/05 23:58:55 (permalink)
pnwchef
Foodbme

check the price of Pure Maple syrup and get back to me..................

Doesn't matter if it's cheap or expensive-- The taste just doesn't hit me as a good blend of flavors. To each it's own.
euclid
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 191
Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/06/08 14:56:10 (permalink)
  Bill, I notice you continue to mention liquid and fat in your product. I never use liquid in my sausage, only in bologna. As far as fat, I never use that as well. I will use 30% pork shoulder grind mixed with the meat. I find the 30% pork shoulder has enough fat content to do the job.  You appear to be using 70% pork and 30% pork fat. I would suggest bringing the fat content down so that you achieve your desired sausage texture. I strongly suggest you use little or no liquid with your grind. If it is wet coming out of the grinder into the casing, I'm guessing it will have the texture of bologna. It took some experimenting on my part, but hey, that's part of the pleasure. Good luck and enjoy your Philly Cheese Steak!
   Foodbme. Think pancakes, sausage and maple syrup. I still eat the sausage when it gets syrup on it but I do not put syrup on my sausage. The plate does. When making maple syrup sausage, I use a dry mixture that I blend into the grind that tastes like maple syrup. It tastes darn good and has only a hint of maple syrup flavor that compliments the dominant sausage flavor. That being said, if you do not care for maple syrup, skip it.
   To the both of you. I enjoy your posts. Please continue to educate and entertain us. Thanks. Steve
pnwchef
Re:Maple Country Sausage 2013/06/12 07:31:37 (permalink)
euclid

Bill, I notice you continue to mention liquid and fat in your product. I never use liquid in my sausage, only in bologna. As far as fat, I never use that as well. I will use 30% pork shoulder grind mixed with the meat. I find the 30% pork shoulder has enough fat content to do the job.  You appear to be using 70% pork and 30% pork fat. I would suggest bringing the fat content down so that you achieve your desired sausage texture. I strongly suggest you use little or no liquid with your grind. If it is wet coming out of the grinder into the casing, I'm guessing it will have the texture of bologna. It took some experimenting on my part, but hey, that's part of the pleasure. Good luck and enjoy your Philly Cheese Steak!
  Foodbme. Think pancakes, sausage and maple syrup. I still eat the sausage when it gets syrup on it but I do not put syrup on my sausage. The plate does. When making maple syrup sausage, I use a dry mixture that I blend into the grind that tastes like maple syrup. It tastes darn good and has only a hint of maple syrup flavor that compliments the dominant sausage flavor. That being said, if you do not care for maple syrup, skip it.
  To the both of you. I enjoy your posts. Please continue to educate and entertain us. Thanks. Steve

Hi Steve,
I agree, the pork butt would give enough fat for any sausage. The meat I used in those sausage links were Beef short ribs from my steer. The amount of fat I had in those was good, when grilling the fats blended with the spices and meat for a great flavor. The reason why I used a liquid in those was, I wanted a hot dog blend, smooth not sausage like. If I make a sausage mix, I want to blend the meat with at least 20% fat and push it into the casing, not working it very much......................................take care................Bill
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1