Author
shivasgirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
Flagged as Spam (1)
2011/05/27 06:30:50 (permalink)

Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx

the best burger by far in Dallas.
I usually get the bacon cheeseburger, they will either cook it pink or not, choice of cheeses are cheddar, pepperjack and something else, lol, comes with mustard, pickle relish, red onion, tomato, and lettuce, you can get other toppings and leave off what you like, I get mine loaded add mayo, then add ketchup at the table. This is a 16 napkin burger..it is so juicy and flavorful...they also offer homemade potato chips, hot out of the fryer, fries and tator tots are always flavorful and crunchie, and awesome onion rings. They also offer other sandwiches, a brisket  one I heard is off the chain and a fried bologna.. I tried the chicken sandwich and it was ok, just made me go home craving a burger and I was too full to eat! They use all meat, not filler like Twisted Root does. Drinks include Rc sodas, Dublin Dr Pepper and this addictive Jolly Rancher Iced Tea.. My kids cannot get enough of the grilled cheese, it is actually cooked, and they love how the melted cheese strings when they bite it. This place is so good that when I asked my twins where they wanted to go for their 5th birthday, they picked Maple and Motor. I offered standard kid places, Chuckee Cheese...so on, but they wanted M&M....I think if you live in dallas or go thru here without stopping for the BEST burger in Big D, you are doing yourdself a diservice! 

20 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4058
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/27 08:15:56 (permalink)
    Thank you, Shivasgirl, for your lovely review of Maple and Motor.

My only question is:

Do you, perchance, have an undisclosed pecuniary interest in this enterprise?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/27 09:13:45 (permalink)
    I would ask the same question as well, Jim. Although the burgers are very good and the place is usually packed, the owner of Maple & Motor, Jack Perkins is a notorious self promoter. 

I also find it somewhat odd that the OP also asked at the "where should I eat" forum at about the same time she started the above thread, she asked for places to eat on I-20 in Mississippi on the way to Anniston, Alabama. Specifically asking for places serving vegetarian meals for her children. I assume, the same children she mentioned as wanting to go to a hamburger restaurant for their birthday.
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2011/05/27 11:58:15
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/27 09:58:27 (permalink)
    In all fairness, Shivasgirl's children are mentioned only as eating grilled cheese sandwiches.  Evidently they are non-vegan vegetarians.  Clearly, their momma is a carnivore!
    ChicagoIrish
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/27 09:59:11 (permalink)
    I'll only say that the children she mentions love the grilled cheese there ("vegetarian") so not really that strange on the recommendation front.  I was more concerned about her calling out another restaurant for supposedly using filler, which seems pretty wrong. 
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/27 10:32:37 (permalink)
    Fair enough about the grilled cheese sandwiches for the kids. I agree.
    Regarding the "knocking" of Twisted Root having fillers in their burgers, yes they do. Twisted Root is a very big competitor to Maple & Motor in the Dallas Area. And although personally, I much prefer Maple & Motor's burgers to TR, as I said above, The owner is a notorious self promoter. And, one with very "soft skin". He doesn't like competition or, people who blog negatively about him or his burgers. 
    shivasgirl
    Junior Burger
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/27 21:47:35 (permalink)
    First off, the only interest I have in Maple and Motor is in the burger...I am a little insulted that my first post here was flagged as spam and met with negativity. I just found this website because I purchased a Roadfood book on clearance from Half Price Books. My family, which included 3 vegetarian children are going to my dad's in Anniston for Father's day and I wanted to try some "Roadfood" instead of our usual picnic on the banks of the Mississippi. Yes, my kids are vegetarian, we maintain a vegetarian house, but my husband and I still will eat meat at restaurants only, and with places like M&M, it makes it hard to not go back. I mentioned Twisted Root as using fillers because they do, I saw them do it on Diners Drive Ins and Dives. My family travels a lot and I was hoping that I would find some like minded people here to make friends with and share great places to eat, but the welcome here has left a little to be desired. My twins consider themselves grilled cheese connoisseurs, and since that is usually the only veg option for them at most places, they have been served some pretty crappy, barely cooked sandwiches. The ones at M&M are cooked, melty and crisp. Exactly how should I have posted my review without coming across that I had a hand in the restaurant itself?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/28 14:06:50 (permalink)
    shivasgirl

First off, the only interest I have in Maple and Motor is in the burger...I am a little insulted that my first post here was flagged as spam and met with negativity. I just found this website because I purchased a Roadfood book on clearance from Half Price Books. My family, which included 3 vegetarian children are going to my dad's in Anniston for Father's day and I wanted to try some "Roadfood" instead of our usual picnic on the banks of the Mississippi. Yes, my kids are vegetarian, we maintain a vegetarian house, but my husband and I still will eat meat at restaurants only, and with places like M&M, it makes it hard to not go back. I mentioned Twisted Root as using fillers because they do, I saw them do it on Diners Drive Ins and Dives. My family travels a lot and I was hoping that I would find some like minded people here to make friends with and share great places to eat, but the welcome here has left a little to be desired. My twins consider themselves grilled cheese connoisseurs, and since that is usually the only veg option for them at most places, they have been served some pretty crappy, barely cooked sandwiches. The ones at M&M are cooked, melty and crisp. Exactly how should I have posted my review without coming across that I had a hand in the restaurant itself?

Sorry you had a "gruff beginning" to your participating in the fora of Roadfood.  However, were we not to have the (written or unwritten) "rule" that it is bad form to advertise, a lot of what we would end up here would be self-serving "advice".  For example - presently, I have three resuaurants as tenants in one of my properties:  a Chinese take-out, a "le Madeline", and a very well reviewed independent steak and seafood house whose well-earned success now has it considering expansion into the vacant store next to it.  Further, "Jimmy John's" is presently negotiating to occupy the space recently vacated by a frozen yoghurt franchise.  Were I to "glowingly review" any of these on these pages without revealing my peculiary interest any credibility I may have earned from other posts would be greatly diminished.  Your review of M&M was so "glowing" that it raised a bit of suspicion in that regard.

As an example of how Roadfood "works", check out this thread:  http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=446540&high=breezy+heights .  My discovery of and participation in this thread led to a VERY enjoyable family meal over 1,000 miles from my home here in McKinney, TX.

Believe me, I got "yelled at" a few times when I began posting for or so years ago. 

So, WELCOME TO ROADFOOD!

BTW: My conflict disclosed above - for a fine meal in Ft. Worth, try Ray's Prime Steaks & Seafood - Camp Bowie & Winthrop!  http://www.dfw.com/2010/08/26/324258/rays-puts-real-effort-into-its.html 
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/28 14:36:48 (permalink)
    And I would like to add, especially on your first posting! That's usually the give away that the OP is spamming us advertising their's or, a friends restaurant.
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2011/05/28 14:39:15
    shivasgirl
    Junior Burger
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/28 17:16:51 (permalink)
    sooooooo, for my first post I probably should have given my opinion on a crap restaurant so I could build up my credibility? I find this place and I see that people are posting reviews of places they love, and giving glowing descriptions of the food, but because I am new, I need to hold back lest someone assume I am self promoting/ Makes no sense to me. I posted my 2 favorite Mexican places too but no one has given me flack about them. Why not?
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/28 18:42:45 (permalink)
    Shivasgirl,
    Don't let them get to you, I once posted that at Babe's chicken house, the waitresses did the hokey pokey with the kid patrons and I got all kinds of negative comments. just shrug it off and keep on posting.

shivasgirl
    Junior Burger
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/28 19:08:04 (permalink)
    i read that babes post, I live near the garland one, we love it there and my kids dance the hokey pokey every time!! thanks for your kindness!

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18362
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/28 19:22:31 (permalink)
    Shivasgirl, I found your original post interesting and informative, and it didn't occur to me that you were pushing the place for any "pecuniary interest."

Welcome to Roadfood, and keep up the good information.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/29 09:16:47 (permalink)
    shivasgirl

i read that babes post, I live near the garland one, we love it there and my kids dance the hokey pokey every time!! thanks for your kindness!

--  Mrs. Metro and I are HUGE fans of Babe's and my favorite location is the one you patronize in Garland as it is the only one to offer ribs on the menu.  They serve a "falling off the plate" portion of the best ribs I have had so far in Texas.  Try 'em next time you are there.

--  As you like Mexican, I suggest Casa Milagro in Richardson, only a short distance from you.  It beats the pants off both the chains and tourist traps like Joe T. Garcia's.

Again, welcome.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/29 09:51:21 (permalink)
    Its funny you mention grilled cheese sandwiches-we have a local place-Kopps-that has awesome burgers( and of course, frozen custard) but Bob always gets the grilled cheese, or seven!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/29 10:59:08 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

--  As you like Mexican, I suggest Casa Milagro in Richardson, only a short distance from you.  It beats the pants off both the chains and tourist traps like Joe T. Garcia's.

IMHO, Casa Milagro is the best Tex-Mex in the Dallas Metroplex! Glad you mentioned it, Jim.
    shivasgirl
    Junior Burger
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/29 14:56:40 (permalink)
    where is Casa Milagro? I like Dos Banderos in Downtown Garland and El Taquito Cafe in East Dallas.....thanks for the kindness, ya'll!!!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/29 17:07:39 (permalink)
    shivasgirl

where is Casa Milagro? I like Dos Banderos in Downtown Garland and El Taquito Cafe in East Dallas.....thanks for the kindness, ya'll!!!

In Richardson on the north side of Campbell Road just west of the corner of Plano Rd.
    http://www.casa-milagro.net
    Hope you like great Margerhitas.
    shivasgirl
    Junior Burger
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/30 11:32:26 (permalink)
    I work at the corner of Plano and Campbell and I cant place this...is it in the center with Subway?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/30 12:12:20 (permalink)
    Casa Milagro is in an "L-shaped" shopping center on the NE corner of Campbell and N. Plano Rd.  They are on the top level right at the "corner" of the "L".   They also have a very nice walled patio for dining "al fresco". 

(I just checked Google's satellite photos and, sure enough, there is a Subway on the center's north side and a free-standing Guaranty Bank in front of the center).  

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2011/05/30 12:35:48
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Maple and Motor, Dallas Tx 2011/05/30 21:30:47 (permalink)
    shivasgirl

I work at the corner of Plano and Campbell and I cant place this...is it in the center with Subway?

Then you should also try Taqueria El Fuego for lunch sometime. They're in the strip next to the gas station on the west side of Plano road just south of Campbell Road. One of  the best taquerias in the Dallas metroplex.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1