Mapping Roadfood Restaurants

Author
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2125
2003/07/29 21:57:19 (permalink)

Mapping Roadfood Restaurants

Many people have been asking for mapping and route information integrated with Roadfood.com restaurants. This has been something we have been monitoring and exploring for quite some time and I have a solution that I would like to propose to the community.

Rather then having an online based solution, how about integrating a solution into an existing product? The one I was thinking about was Microsoft Streets & Trips. I have been using this on a drive across the country (my honeymoon!) and have found the mapping technology incredible. You can select a location and have it tell you all the Chinese (or any other restaurant type) restaurants within a particular radius. The Holy Grail is its ability to tell you where you can find certain restaurants within x number of miles within a certain route. So you can say, ‘show me all the café’s 3 miles within the optimal driving route between Boston, MA and Buffalo, NY.’ What comes up is a highlighted map with your route and visual thumb-tacks of the restaurants along the route. It even tells you how far the place is from your desired track and with two clicks it can provide directions. Another useful feature is the restaurants phone number so you can call to check to see if there open.

Here is my proposal. What do people think about having all the Roadfood.com restaurants integrated in this program? It would require people to buy the program ($25-40), and then we would sell a template (~$20/year) that can be imported into the mapping system. You would then have a full feature mapping and trip planning system with all the Roadfood restaurants listed. When a search is made for nearby restaurants along a route or location, the Roadfood ones would appear with our logo. You could then click on it to get an overview of the place, and then a link to the online review.

I am looking forward to your feedback.

25 Replies Related Threads

CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/29 22:20:10 (permalink)
    Stephen, I'd be interested in your idea. I'd purchase the program and the yearly Roadfood.com additions.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/29 22:23:10 (permalink)
    Stephen: Good idea, but not more than $19.95 / year.
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/29 23:48:25 (permalink)
    Great idea.. I've used Streets & Trips for several years and just got the newest version at COSTCO. I don't remember the exact price, but there was a $20 rebate on it that make the final cost less than $10.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/30 07:38:25 (permalink)
    As I'm about to start spending as much as 25 weeks a year on the road, I LOVE the idea! Knowing that there really is a meal worth eating at the end of a travel leg is worth the investment and it will take alot less time then i now spend doing the same thing every time I travel.Sign me up for yearly updates!!
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/30 08:33:59 (permalink)
    Streets & Trips is not available for my operating system, as far as I know. This might be the best alternative for most Roadfooders, but it would leave me out in the cold (without a map!).
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/30 09:27:10 (permalink)
    Where do I sign up?

I sure wish that I could load it into the (Alpine) navigation system in my Honda Pilot. My wife and I are on the road 52 weeks a year (usually about 2 months at each stop) and DEPEND on Roadfood for guidance.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/30 10:05:23 (permalink)
    Is Streets and Trips downloadable to a Palm or Blackberry or other portable device?
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/30 11:09:53 (permalink)
    Is that Microsoft Maps thing compatiable with my iMac? If it is, sign me up!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/30 11:34:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

Is Streets and Trips downloadable to a Palm or Blackberry or other portable device?
    Ahhh Yes. I forget to mention this. Streets and Maps has support for handhelds, so after you plan your trip you can bring your itenerary with you on the road. If you don't have a handheld, the print features are far superior to anything online.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/30 12:03:37 (permalink)
    Seafarer, I had the same question you did, and from what I can determine from a quick search, Microsoft Streets and Trips-2003 is NOT Mac compatible. That leaves me out, too. Assume this is also likely JuliaI's problem.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/30 21:10:52 (permalink)
    Stephen, I do have questions. I currently use Delorme mapping and one of their features is a listing of restaurants. I am not sure how many but they claim many. Many of the restaurants featured here are on Delorme.

For instance: Stern told me about Becky's in Portland and it was on Delorme. I have noticed many others that are there. They show the location, address and phone number and if they have a e-mail address, they indicate it.

I wish you well on your suggestions and I for one will subscribe for no other reason but to be a loyal roadfooder, but I think you have some minor competition.

I will be in Portland, ME this next week and I will visit with Delorme and investigate how you can add or improve their program.

Respectfully submitted,
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/30 21:49:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Stephen, I do have questions. I currently use Delorme mapping and one of their features is a listing of restaurants. I am not sure how many but they claim many. Many of the restaurants featured here are on Delorme.

For instance: Stern told me about Becky's in Portland and it was on Delorme. I have noticed many others that are there. They show the location, address and phone number and if they have a e-mail address, they indicate it.

I wish you well on your suggestions and I for one will subscribe for no other reason but to be a loyal roadfooder, but I think you have some minor competition.

I will be in Portland, ME this next week and I will visit with Delorme and investigate how you can add or improve their program.

Respectfully submitted,
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Ohh, you have a connection with Delorme? I would love to hear your findings.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/30 22:03:59 (permalink)
    Stephen, my only connection with Delorme is one with a long time usage. I visited there the week after 9/11 on a bird watching trip. They gave me a great tour. I have used their mapping program for several years.

I have requested another tour on this birding trip and with your permission, I will discuss your venture.

I have their GPS connected with my laptop and it is a neat program as it talks to you. If you goof up, it will kidnly suggest you make a safe U turn and then give you directions.

I use their restaurant and hotel directions very frequently and they are very accurate.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jackier
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/30 23:35:27 (permalink)
    Sounds like a GREAT idea, but there are probably many Mac users out there (me included). Is there some way to include us in this general plan?
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/31 01:14:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jackier

Sounds like a GREAT idea, but there are probably many Mac users out there (me included). Is there some way to include us in this general plan?
    There must be a way you can be included. Is there a mapping program in particular that Mac users use?
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/31 08:55:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jackier

I think that Delorme has a Mac version of it's "Street Atlas 2003" program. The total Delorme system, including the GPS receiver, costs less than $200. I don't know the cost of the "Street Atlas" by itself.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/07/31 11:35:52 (permalink)
    Hillbilly, years ago I had some Delorme programs for an old Mac, so I just assumed Delorme offered a current Mac version of "Street Atlas 2003". When checked its website earlier, tho, if I was reading correctly, it stated "Street Atlas 2003" supports only the Windows platform. At another spot I found wording to effect that not all Delorme programs support the Mac platform; to check specifically for those which do; yet I could never find any info as to which of its programs are Mac compatible. So I just don't know which of its programs fit that category, but don't believe "Street Atlas 2003" does. Know I'm surely far from the world's best (more like the world's worst) when it comes to anything computer and internet related, but also don't believe Delorme has the world's best (or most user friendly) website.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/08/01 09:02:29 (permalink)
    Liketoeat:
    Delorme's web site lists a Mac mapping program but doesn't show it as the 2003 version. It also shows this version as currently "SOLD OUT".
    Their "Street Atlas 2003 PLUS" seems to have the flexibility to easily add in your favorite locations (like Roadfood stops). I'm going to have to check it out.
    The regular "SA 2003" shows a $45 price, the "SA2003PLUS" shows $95.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/08/03 14:17:25 (permalink)
    Hillbilly, how about posting for us Mac users any further info you come up with re Deloreme mapping programs for the Mac. I went back to the Delorme website but was unable to navigate to any additional information beyond that which got at my first visit. Thanks.
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/08/04 02:43:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Liketoeat

Seafarer, I had the same question you did, and from what I can determine from a quick search, Microsoft Streets and Trips-2003 is NOT Mac compatible. That leaves me out, too. Assume this is also likely JuliaI's problem.

Yup, I'm a Mac person, too. I don't know about mapping software, I have always just used the available web-based programs, like MapQuest. Streets and Trips sounds like it would be better, but unfortunately not for all of us.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/08/12 09:00:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Liketoeat

Hillbilly, how about posting for us Mac users any further info you come up with re Deloreme mapping programs for the Mac. I went back to the Delorme website but was unable to navigate to any additional information beyond that which got at my first visit. Thanks.

Delorme responded:
    "We did have a program for MAC users, but we weren't able to sell enough to pay for it. We continue to monitor MAC sales volume to determine whether it would be cost effective to develop our new programs for MAC compatibility. There are currently no plans to do so."

Sorry 'bout that. And that is probably the same reason other developers don't have MAC versions. I, too, prefer the MAC OS but have caved in to PC for software availability and to be compatible with my clients' systems.
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/08/12 11:26:10 (permalink)
    Stephen, if I remember correctly DeLorme has an office/outlet in Freeport,ME on the right just after you exit the highway.
    I believe near/across from the tourist bureau.
    Big Globe inside building.
    I would be interested as well.
    Sounds like an excellent revenue generating source.
    Imagine a corporation, like a Krispy Kreme, or a Dunkin Donuts being part of the update. It would save me time and effort to know locations of certain chain establishments, not the McDonald's of the world, but ones such as Peet's,or Dairy Queen, that are commonly referred to in the forums.
    Congratulations on your wedding.
    Mine is April 2004 in Kennebunkport,ME
    DaveM
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/09/23 11:14:33 (permalink)
    I noticed that the Roadfood homepage now has Microsoft's Streets and Trips 2004. Is this related to the software in the works that we talked about earlier? Does Roadfood get a percentage of this? (I would hope you would)
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/09/23 11:34:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

I noticed that the Roadfood homepage now has Microsoft's Streets and Trips 2004. Is this related to the software in the works that we talked about earlier? Does Roadfood get a percentage of this? (I would hope you would)
    This is the program that is required for a future Roadfood.com add-in. Roadfood.com gets 5% on all purchases made with the links provided on the site
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Mapping Roadfood Restaurants 2003/09/23 13:47:39 (permalink)
    Cool! I'll place an order when I get home (at work right now)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1