Mario Batali's Eataly

Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
2010/09/06 07:32:24 (permalink)

Mario Batali's Eataly

A new must go to in NY City.  Just looking at the pictures of this Italian Zabars
in the Flatiron Section of NYCity will make you want to hop on a plane or bus and come visit.  A combination deli, meat market, restaurant, wine cellar and beer garden----this place has gotta be gotten to.  Bring your wallet---don't leave home without it.
Billy will have a ball.  Google it but not on an empty stomach-----

12 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10257
    Re:Mario Batali's Eataly 2010/09/08 01:00:50 (permalink)
    Looks interesting, but I'd never eat anywhere that Batali's been involved with. The guy just looks "Unclean". Greasy hair, scraggy beard, wears the same clothes all the time. Does he ever shower or wash his clothes? Doesn't look like it! JMPO
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Mario Batali's Eataly 2010/09/08 04:39:58 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Looks interesting, but I'd never eat anywhere that Batali's been involved with. The guy just looks "Unclean". Greasy hair, scraggy beard, wears the same clothes all the time. Does he ever shower or wash his clothes? Doesn't look like it! JMPO

Out of your many thousands of messages, that one takes the cake.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10257
    Re:Mario Batali's Eataly 2010/09/08 05:03:38 (permalink)
    bill voss

Foodbme

Out of your many thousands of messages, that one takes the cake.

Thank You. I just hope it wasn't baked by Mario Batali!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    Re:Mario Batali's Eataly 2010/09/08 05:08:14 (permalink)
    the ancient mariner

A new must go to in NY City.  Just looking at the pictures of this Italian Zabars
    in the Flatiron Section of NYCity will make you want to hop on a plane or bus and come visit.  A combination deli, meat market, restaurant, wine cellar and beer garden----this place has gotta be gotten to.  Bring your wallet---don't leave home without it.
    Billy will have a ball.  Google it but not on an empty stomach-----

Oh come on....Don't judge a book by its cover...Ronald McDonald always "looks" clean...let's eat there!!!!!!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Mario Batali's Eataly 2010/09/08 09:23:12 (permalink)
    I have eaten in two of Mario's joints and they are splendid-----a little expensive but excellent----the one in Portchester is almost impossible to get into---call for reservations a week or so in advance.  Probably the best restaurant in the area---Westchester NY and Greenwich, CT.

They sure aren't Roadfood per se.  Or, per anything else.
    I know not the man, just telling it like it is.

AmericaWestCMH
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Mario Batali's Eataly 2010/09/12 19:47:43 (permalink)
    Looks interesting, but I'd never eat anywhere that Batali's been involved with.

You can always buy his $8 jar of pasta sauce at your local grocery.  " />
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Mario Batali's Eataly 2010/09/13 13:26:20 (permalink)
    I'm not sure of the extent of Mario Batali's involvment in this venture is. It is a joint venture of several organizations, including the Italian creator of the concept:
    http://www.eataly.it
    Sure, Mario appeared for the grand opening press coverage. But this New York-based Italian blogger shot a rather long video inside the food hall:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqgeL--M3YI
    No sign of Mario. The rest of the help looks like what you would find at Zabar's or Dean and DeLuca's SoHo store. Mario Batali's name will bring in more customers than Oscar Farinetti, Eataly's founder.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2126
    Re:Mario Batali's Eataly 2010/09/13 19:35:04 (permalink)
    David_NYC, Mario has restaurants all over the world, so I think you have a better chance seeing a white elephant than spotting him at one of his places.
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 648
    Re:Mario Batali's Eataly 2010/09/13 22:27:44 (permalink)
    Batali may look frumpy, but his food is no slouch. I recently ate at Casa Mono in NYC, and loved it. The food was hearty, flavorful, and a good value for that level of restaurant: No scoops of foam for $100 and such. Pumpkin and Goat Cheese Croquettes, Sweetbreads with Fennel, and Grilled Baby Octopus were delicious. I look forward to my next trip to America's Culinary Capital to check out Eataly.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Mario Batali's Eataly 2010/09/14 08:14:42 (permalink)
    His name on an eatery is solid gold.  The food is always great. 
    What more can one want -----well let's see, there are a few things.  Where is my list?

tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 277
    Re:Mario Batali's Eataly 2010/09/14 09:23:16 (permalink)
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.

David_NYC, Mario has restaurants all over the world, so I think you have a better chance seeing a white elephant than spotting him at one of his places.

You'd be surprised Stephen.  He's routinely at Otto.  For a while he'd be there just about every morning, where he'd kick off his day.  
    Since he's based in NYC it's less likely you'd see him at his place outside of the city.  But he's certainly around some of his restaurants in NYC. 
    bigd
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re:Mario Batali's Eataly 2010/09/14 11:50:12 (permalink)
    Mario has really lost it. He has become nothing more than a money machine with little involvement in any of his projects. It is a shame because he rally is a good cook and brought regional Italian fare to America in his Molto Mario show. He needs to close all his over priced restaurants and get back to basics. I know his sister buy haven't spoken to her in a long time. She said that he always insisted that he wouldn't become the typical celebrity chef who gets away from their roots and becomes a PR machine. Well Mario what happened?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1