Author
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1070
2013/03/21 12:38:23 (permalink)

Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list

Let the brickbats fly:

http://www.marketwatch.co...s-for-pizza-2013-03-13

I have to say that there is no way I would consider the pizza in Minneapolis to be the 6th best in the country.  But if they like the pizza in Savannah . . .

33 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4276
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/21 14:39:42 (permalink)
    Two comments:
    1. I love Kansas City, and not just for Barbecue and Stroud's Fried Chicken.  They have a growing number of top notch ethnic choices.  Excellent Soul Food,  Mexican, Thai and Chinese, even a growing number of Middle Eastern offerings.  But how they could be named as a great Pizza city, even at number 10, is beyond me.  The first example cited in the article, Minsky's, is not a great Pizza place, and in fact, IMHO, has done much to set back the legitimacy of Pan Pizza.

2. A quick correction to the listing for Chicago: The article lists several places, including Burt's, as claiming "to be the original or most authentic purveyor of what's known as Chicago-style pizza".  Burt makes no such claim.  In fact, he takes great pride in countering peoples' notion of what Chicago-style Pizza can be.

Unlike the dense, heavy crust served at most places, his is light and airy.  It has been compared favorably to a focaccia bread, as opposed to the leaden crusts served at other establishments.  His distribution of ingredients relies more on balanced flavors and appearance than on trying to impress the customer with overwhelming quantities.

It's nice to be honored as one of the best, but they should still get their facts straight.

Buddy
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/21 15:03:56 (permalink)
    Buddy, sadly nobody outside of the Chicago area will ever "get" Chicago pizza. They lock their minds on the likes of Lou's or Uno's and there is so much more. I never had a deep dish pizza until my mid 20's in the 1960's, I grew up on cracker crust, square cut bar, bowling alley, mom and pop pizza in the far west suburbs. I have never had the pleasure of a Burt's Pizza but I have had pizza from Gullivers and it was top notch in it's niche. Chicago pizza is all over the place!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5093
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/21 19:34:51 (permalink)
    I'm amazed that these bozo's left out Austin and Dallas from their tepid mix of their "best pizza" list.

The state of Texas has 4 VPN certified Neapolitan style pizzerias. One in San Antonio, (Dough). One in Mckinney, (Cavalli). And two in Dallas. Dough and Il Cane Rosso.

Plus, in Austin there's, Home Slice (NY style) and the recently opened
    360 Pizza. 360 makes amazingly authentic, NY style pizza. It's my favorite pizza when in Austin, Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/wa...ed&v=ocWeMyoS7L4#!

post edited by Twinwillow - 2013/05/28 20:00:44
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10329
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/21 22:45:06 (permalink)
    The day that people stop discussing the "Best Pizza' issue will be the day after the Earth stops spinning!" /> 
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/22 07:01:37 (permalink)
    Marketwatch ???
    Perhaps the Sterns should start offering investment advice.
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/22 16:36:19 (permalink)
    How could they leave off New Haven, CT
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/22 17:29:24 (permalink)
    waltpiii

collinf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/26 17:14:57 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

Two comments:
    1. I love Kansas City, and not just for Barbecue and Stroud's Fried Chicken.  They have a growing number of top notch ethnic choices.  Excellent Soul Food,  Mexican, Thai and Chinese, even a growing number of Middle Eastern offerings.  But how they could be named as a great Pizza city, even at number 10, is beyond me.  The first example cited in the article, Minsky's, is not a great Pizza place, and in fact, IMHO, has done much to set back the legitimacy of Pan Pizza.

2. A quick correction to the listing for Chicago: The article lists several places, including Burt's, as claiming "to be the original or most authentic purveyor of what's known as Chicago-style pizza".  Burt makes no such claim.  In fact, he takes great pride in countering peoples' notion of what Chicago-style Pizza can be.

Unlike the dense, heavy crust served at most places, his is light and airy.  It has been compared favorably to a focaccia bread, as opposed to the leaden crusts served at other establishments.  His distribution of ingredients relies more on balanced flavors and appearance than on trying to impress the customer with overwhelming quantities.

It's nice to be honored as one of the best, but they should still get their facts straight.

Buddy

Buddy, I agree with you on all counts.  I live in the Kansas City area, and although the pizza scene here is making some baby steps towards a better pie, it still has quite a ways to go, in my opinion.  Minsky's used to be a fairly good and innovative product ... back in the 1970's and early 80's.  But over the years, the ownership has changed and the product is not even close to what it started out to be.  I am not a fan of St. Louis style pizza, but there definitely some people around here who love that provel cheese.  Honestly, the best St. Louis style pizza I have had around here is Imo's, a chain from St. Louis.  So, although the cuisine here is making its way into the 21st century, with pizza, it still has much further to go.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/26 18:11:37 (permalink)
    Yeah, that Imo's is some weird stuff.  Had it once in Columbia as we were crossing the state (I forget which direction).  It was edible; even unique.  But I had a tough time distinguishing it from a frozen pizza you make at home.

I haven't had a Minsky's pizza in close to 35 years.  My first and only experience was during Christmas break, 1978.  I was in KC visiting my girlfriend (later to become my wife), and we wanted to get food after seeing a movie.  She suggested Minsky's.  By then I'd been working for Burt (at his previous establishment, not Burt's Place) for more than five years, so I knew good pan pizza.  The dried out husk that Minsky's served was an abomination to pizza lovers everywhere.  If they've gone downhill since then, I cringe at the implications.

BTW, the girlfriend's suggestion of Minsky's could have been a deal breaker.  Instead, I saw it as an opportunity to whisk her away to Chicago and educate her on the principals of good pizza.  Fortunately, she was a quick learner, and things worked out in my favor.

FWIW, she educated me on the principals of good Barbecue, so I reckon it was a pretty even exchange.

Buddy
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/26 19:06:50 (permalink)

After reading the above comments, I've come to the conclusion that this
    so called "best" list is not only just a joke but, a travesty as well! Obviously, The author is totally clueless as to what very good pizza really tastes like. And, where to find it.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5165
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/27 08:53:00 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

The dried out husk that Minsky's served was an abomination to pizza lovers everywhere.  If they've gone downhill since then, I cringe at the implications.
    Sounds like the Pizza Police need to raid Minsky's some night.
    collinf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/27 09:24:29 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    BTW, the girlfriend's suggestion of Minsky's could have been a deal breaker.  Instead, I saw it as an opportunity to whisk her away to Chicago and educate her on the principals of good pizza.  Fortunately, she was a quick learner, and things worked out in my favor.

FWIW, she educated me on the principals of good Barbecue, so I reckon it was a pretty even exchange.

Buddy

A cultural food exchange - I love it!

I didn't know you worked for Burt's in Chi-town.  I am impressed!   I love that city.  We go back about every 2 years.  My family lived in the suburbs for a short time in the early 70's, just as deep dish was starting to make it out from Uno's downtown, but it had not caught on as much out where we were (Elk Grove Village).  Our hangout is a place that just recently closed a couple years ago - Pope's Pizza in Elk Grove.  Typical Midwestern thin crispy crust, cut in squares.   I went back there about 4 years ago, and it had gone downhill, too, so I see why it could not keep going.

-Collin
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/27 12:44:11 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    BuddyRoadhouse The dried out husk that Minsky's served was an abomination to pizza lovers everywhere.  If they've gone downhill since then, I cringe at the implications.
    Sounds like the Pizza Police need to raid Minsky's some night.

"...Take ten terrific girls, but only nine costumes, and you're cooking up something grand..."  Unfortunately, at Minsky's, it wasn't Pizza.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/03/27 12:46:27 (permalink)
    collinfI didn't know you worked for Burt's in Chi-town. -Collin
    Since 1973.  I'll be there tonight and tomorrow if you want to fly in for a Pizza.

Buddy
    lurubu
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/07 11:57:01 (permalink)
    I can't believe Cottage Inn pizza isn't on here.  Not only was it the first pizza place to open in Ann Arbor Michigan in 1948, they've now got gluten free options and probably the best gourmet pizza I have ever had.  If you haven't tried it, get to Michigan or Ohio and do so immediately!! 
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/07 11:57:58 (permalink)
    There is nothing finer than a real great cheese pizza - it does not need anything more.
    post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2013/10/07 12:00:08
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/07 12:02:06 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

After reading the above comments, I've come to the conclusion that this
    so called "best" list is not only just a joke but, a travesty as well! Obviously, The author is totally clueless as to what very good pizza really tastes like. And, where to find it.
    Most folks are that way.

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4233
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/07 13:15:46 (permalink)
    waltpiii

Easy. 
    One of their random darts didn't hit it.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/08 04:38:41 (permalink)
    another list i can ignore

mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/12 08:03:34 (permalink)
    And to put this list into prospective, they highlight pizza strips in Providence which are made by bakeries baking dough in a flat pan, coated it with a (likely stock, canned) tomato sauce and sold as room-temperature slices.  Without a doubt, the worst pizza ever.  

Now there is excellent pizza to be found in Providence, but pizza strips are the opposite side of the spectrum.  They make day-old frozen pizza almost seem eatable.  To summarize in two words - absolutely terrible.

post edited by mjambro - 2013/10/12 08:38:58
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2445
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/12 08:29:17 (permalink)
    mjambro, are all of the slices "cold" or are they served at "room temp"?  The reason I ask is that the Utica, NY area has a similar style called "tomato pie" that is sometimes served cold (if the slices have been wrapped in cling wrap and kept in a refrigerated case) but mostly is served at room temp.  It is possible to get it warm if you can snag a slice or a whole pie fresh out of the oven.  Most of these are at bakery/Italian provision shops.  Wanderingjew led a group in RI a year ago or so and they tried a few pizza strip bakeries.  I'm very eager to try pizza strips as they do seem a "kissing cousin" to this:

mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/12 08:42:19 (permalink)
    I corrected my posting - they are typically sold / served at room temperature (not "cold").  The few I've tried were not much different from dipping a piece of poor-grade bread into a jar of poor-grade tomato sauce.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/12 16:23:26 (permalink)
    Marketwatch???? That's like me going to my favorite local pizza joint (Nunzio's) and asking Ciro, the owner, for Stock recommendations.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/12 18:22:55 (permalink)
    Chicago wins....and didn't they top the hot voting also....so much for all the rest.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/13 12:16:03 (permalink)
    For the most part this list is a joke.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/13 14:36:01 (permalink)
    billyboy

mjambro, are all of the slices "cold" or are they served at "room temp"?  The reason I ask is that the Utica, NY area has a similar style called "tomato pie" that is sometimes served cold (if the slices have been wrapped in cling wrap and kept in a refrigerated case) but mostly is served at room temp.  It is possible to get it warm if you can snag a slice or a whole pie fresh out of the oven.  Most of these are at bakery/Italian provision shops.  Wanderingjew led a group in RI a year ago or so and they tried a few pizza strip bakeries.  I'm very eager to try pizza strips as they do seem a "kissing cousin" to this:

Cold pizza right out of the fridge should only be eaten at breakfast. 
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2445
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/13 19:45:54 (permalink)
    I'll tell ya though TW,  a tomato pie just slightly warm or at room temp is a thing of beauty!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8512
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/15 07:54:56 (permalink)
    I agree, billyboy. Milwaukee has some great independent Italian bakeries, and they serve the tomato pies. Just love them!
    Yankeedoodle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Marketwatch's Best Pizza in the USA list 2013/10/16 03:37:06 (permalink)
    billyboy

That would be Romas in Utica? Binghamton has Dirienzo Bros. They call it old fashion Pie. It was started
     back in the day when some folks couldn't afford to pay for the cheese.

post edited by Yankeedoodle - 2013/10/16 03:38:27
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1