Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7749
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/28 08:56:58 (permalink)
Davydd

It just goes to show you Miami Don knows his stuff. Did you get his hamburger recommendations?

He certainly does...
Stay tuned....
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4561
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/28 11:11:31 (permalink)
fritas?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/28 16:09:32 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

fritas?

yes
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2393
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/29 07:19:40 (permalink)
Excellent stuff, WJ.  Man, I really could go for a Cubano right now!  Thanks!  Looking forward to the rest...
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/29 10:31:51 (permalink)
WJ, I always enjoy your travelogues.  Keep it up!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/30 19:52:01 (permalink)
Thanks Billyboy and catosaurus

Hope to complete the final chapter this evening...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/30 20:50:40 (permalink)
Monday June  3

My last day in Miami as I fly home that evening...

It was a brief walk from my hotel- just around the corner, to the coffee house I enjoyed so much the day before- Pasion del Cielo - and another cuban coffee..

On the way I took snapped some photos of some of the classic architecture.

Since it would be a while before having breakfast - thought some of these would hold me over

Ok, it may not be the real deal- but it was certainly different...

I didn't have a conventional breakfast since I couldn't fit it in...
I did stop at a place recommended by by both Miami Don and buffetbuster

El Mago de la Fritas
on the outskirts of Little Havana
I parked on a residential street behind the strip of shots. I couldn't help but notice a couple of roosters on the side of a house strutting their stuff and crowing (perhaps they had some cafe con leche?)
Since I can never be too full of coffee, I ordered a cafe con leche to start..

It was ok (not as good as Chico's) but that's not what I'm here for.....
I came for this...

The fritas- a well seasoned burger with thin, crispy potatos or fritas...I'm going to be honest- it was fine but I don't think I'm as enthusiastic as buffetbuster or Miami Don was. It was a little too carb heavy for me...
I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it....And the guy who was in the photo with buffetbuster was the one who prepared my fritas...

Now it's off to South Beach, this is where I will be spending the rest of my day before flying home...

Parking is always brutal in South Beach, I found some parallel parking in one of the residential neighborhoods which I believe was free till 4 or 5pm- I'll be long gone before then...

Since TTM and his crew didn't want to go to Mango's Tropical Cafe on Saturday evening, then today was the perfect opportunity- just as they're opening...

Although it was too early for entertainment....no one can leave South Florida without at least one Pina Colada...

quite refreshing for this incredibly warm, sticky day...

Afterwards I walked along Ocean Drive, as well as the beach...

South Beach in my opinion is a mere shadow of its former self...A glorified tourist trap...I first saw it heading that way back in 2002 and my suspicions were correct on my next visit back in 2005...The uncomfortable humidity didn't make things better. I walked for several miles along ocean drive and Collins Avenue and it wasn't pleasant...

As I headed to my car- I stopped for a  late lunch at another old favorite- First recommended to me by Greymo back in 2005... It was truly a hit..

Tap Tap

A Haitian restaurant. If I was still doing restaurant reviews this would be included...a true Roadfood gem

A couple of years after my last visit, I discovered while on a date with a Haitian girl that a "Tap Tap" is a jitney or a cab...The restaurant is well decorated with paintings depicting the Haitian Landcape...

This is a "Tap Tap"

Warm, crusty bread comes with the meal..

Like last time I started my meal with the Pumpkin Soup...a consomme just loaded flavor..

pik liz is a spicy condiment offered on each table.

I also ordered the Conch Creole....It comes with rice and a fried plaintain. For a buck extra I opted for the spinach in coconut sauce in lieu of the rice and it was well worth it..

Like last time the fried plantain was the least memorable part of the meal..

The spinach in coconut sauce made me feel like I was truly in the tropics- limp but flavorful spinach drenched in a nutty coconut sauce...

The conch was not chewy at all- actually almost tender brought out by the piquant creole sauce and enhanced by by the spicy pik liz

I had one last stop to make before leaving south beach... But since I was short on time and the humidity was miserable I decided to drive..

Earlier in the day I did some last minute research to find some of the best Key Lime Pie in South Florida..
I found this 
Normally without a doubt I wouldn't hesitate to go to Joe's Stone Crab- unfortunately they were (and still are) closed for the season...
So I came here instead...

The Ice Box Cafe
I sat at the counter- this is actually my view...
Started out with a better than average cappuccino...

and.....

What a way to end a 3 day weekend trip to Miami....I still have dreams about this orgasmic slice of heaven...

I headed back to Ft Lauderdale Airport...Changed planes at BWI (Baltimore)....with an hour layover, time for dinner right across from my gate at....

Obrycki's

When in Rome (or Baltimore)

a very ordinary and overly breaded crab claw sandwich.....oh well.......

I was home by 11:30 pm....

I'm heading for my last big trip of the year on Tuesday evening...  
Not sure if I'm going to  do a trip report.... as the responses weren't very high on this one...

I know alot of you are probably going to be very happy to hear this, but perhaps its time to move on..... 
post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/06/30 21:54:00
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/30 20:57:01 (permalink)
A great write WJ and even though the humidity was a issue, it appears that your stops were outstanding.  Who says WJ does not write about coffee each and every write????

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mhill95
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 190
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/30 21:25:21 (permalink)
There have to be alot of folks on here (like me)  that don't
comment,  but read every word.
Keep on writing....I'd miss ya.

mike
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/06/30 21:56:42 (permalink)
Mmmm...  Key lime cookies are a fine choice for breakfast!!  The pie looked fabulous, too. 

Interesting interior to Tap Tap--lots to look at while having a drink and waiting for food. 

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/01 00:16:39 (permalink)
Please do a trip report WJ. I always look forward to reading them and the haitian restaurant would be a marvelous addition to the review section. Thanks for sharing. I'll try to comment more often because I do want to see your trip reports

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8323
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/01 07:22:18 (permalink)
WJ- I love your reports and most always comment. I have been waiting for the finale. This food you ate is new to me, and have read and looked in earnest! I have noticed that in summer people are out and about and participation on this site tends to be lower. Don't stop your reports, that would be a travesty to all who love you here.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1087
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/01 09:39:32 (permalink)
I for one would also feel sad if you stopped doing trip reports.  I can tell you that anytime my wife and I take a trip I spend a good deal of time searching old trip reports from you and Cliff to make a list of places to go.  And the end of the year reports are like research gold when I travel.  I do understand that they are a lot of work but please don't think that that work goes unappreciated.

Thanks for giving me a some new things to look forward to in Miami.
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 331
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/01 10:31:52 (permalink)
WJ, are you sure that was a crab claw sandwich at Obrycki's?  Underneath all the breading it looks like it is a soft-shell crab.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/01 10:33:00 (permalink)
Dale, you should have let me know you were passing thru.  I would've brought you carry out from G&M.

This is the first time I've gotten a good look at the Marlin's ballpark.  No, it's not retro like our Camden Yards, and shouldn't be,  but it looks fine to me, and outstanding in that the seat placements are optimized for viewing a baseball game, which after all, is the buildings purpose.    I'm particularly referring to the leftfield seats which are angled to the infield ala Fenway.   In Camden Yards the leftfield seats provide a wonderful view of the outfield bleachers and the warehouse.
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/01 12:09:56 (permalink)
I too enjoyed the report and appreciate the work that went into it.  Too bad the burger at El Mago de la Fritas didn't seem all that great.  I managed to get away from the corporate food at a business seminar in Coral Gables a couple of years ago and have the burger, and I thought it was really good.  (But circumstances kept me from seeing Miami Don that week, unfortunately).  I do recall that the people working there could not have been any more pleasant, which also made for a good meal.  I'm glad the trip was a good one.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18360
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/01 12:24:00 (permalink)
I loved the shots of South Beach. About 100 years ago (it seems to me now) my grandmother used to spend the winters there, with my grandfather flying down via Eastern Airlines every other weekend. All those hotels were set up for the elderly Jewish women from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut with small refrigerators and stoves in the rooms. In the evenings they'd sit around in front of their hotels kibitzing. Whenever I hear about South Beach now I can't help wondering what those old ladies would think if they knew what had happened to their nice, quiet winter neighborhood.
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 373
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/01 15:25:21 (permalink)
What a great report! I'll have to keep those places in mind if I make it that far south in Florida. Hope you keep doing trip reports, too. I always enjoy seeing your reports!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2915
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/01 15:30:47 (permalink)
I live vicariously through your travels and dining!  Keep it rolling WJ! 
Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/01 15:39:45 (permalink)
WJ...I always enjoy your Reports and the pics are great. Keep it up, you know how to do it well. I did not respond to this one because I lived in that area in the late 80's for a year or so and lets say I have not many fond memories. In my opinion a "Great place to visit, but...."
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/01 20:43:11 (permalink)
Paul

with all the regional cafe con leche and cuban coffee- how could I not write about coffee?

Mr Chips

My restaurant review days are long gone. I simply do not have enough time in the day. I promised one more a while back but haven't completed  it yet. After that it's over if things should ever change, I would reconsider but I don't see that happening in the near or distant future.

Ivyhouse

You are correct, that is a soft shell crab (it was still bad) that's what happens when I try to do Laundry and a trip report at the same time.

signman

you could have thrown me a couple across the security screening line.

Buffalo Tarheel..

I thought the Fritas was fine, but since my time in Miami is so few and far between, there are other things I like even more... I'm glad I did have the opportunity to try one..

MH

With my visits over the years here is a chart of where south beach went

89-90 Snowbirds and retirees meet hip and trendy

97- retirees gone- hip and trendy in full swing

02- hip and trendy going bye-bye- tacky and chains making an appearance with old school south beach disappearing.

05-06 Tacky and chains in full swing  

13- Ditto

Everyone else-
Thanks for your kind words. I guess I've been more sensitive than usual because things have been very busy at work and it's left me exhausted...

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2915
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/01 21:08:45 (permalink)
Perhaps you should get out of town...soon, like tomorrow!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5025
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/01 22:25:16 (permalink)
wanderingjew

I know alot of you are probably going to be very happy to hear this, but perhaps its time to move on.....
That's crazy talk.  Your trip reports and other contributions would be greatly missed.

Since you're in the insurance business I can understand why your job might be kicking you in the teeth right now...seems like there's a major disaster every other week these days.
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/02 06:49:25 (permalink)
The only moving on you need to do is to your next wonderful trip!  I live for your trip reports!  I long for the day I will be able to visit some of the places you portray in your reports.  AND, you have even given me an appreciation of and interest in baseball fields!  Keep it up!  Please!
tcrouzer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/02 06:55:07 (permalink)
WJ, I always read your trip reports and this one was great - as usual! I'd visit these Roadfood places for the cafe con leche and Cuban sandwiches alone. But right now I have to go google pik liz.......
barbie0531
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/02 08:58:36 (permalink)
I come on roadfood almost daily but rarely do I "sign in" but my favorite section is the "Trip Reports" so please keep sharing with us..I read every post & enjoy all the lovely pictures everyone shares....Thank you :)  
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7840
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/02 14:03:28 (permalink)
The end has come so it's time for me to post.

A little baseball heavy for me but love the food pictures, descriptions and choices.

That picture of the Swiss Burger I believe is your finest photograph to date.  Makes me want to take a bite!

Thank you for opting for the spinach side.  I want to recreate that dish. Someone else will have to eat the tomatoes but I like the color it adds to the finished dish.

That last slice of Key Lime Pie....  UNFAIR!  It's so far away!

Good report, Dale... as always.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18360
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/02 14:10:46 (permalink)
wanderingjew

MH

With my visits over the years here is a chart of where south beach went

89-90 Snowbirds and retirees meet hip and trendy

97- retirees gone- hip and trendy in full swing

02- hip and trendy going bye-bye- tacky and chains making an appearance with old school south beach disappearing.

05-06 Tacky and chains in full swing  

13- Ditto

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/02 22:08:06 (permalink)
Dale - It is the stress of work that has you thinking like that.  Your trip reports are the highlight of everyone's reading and enjoyment.

I know it takes a long time to crop and enhance the photos and then post them and then add the dialogue, but to us it is worth the effort.

Your insight into the area you are travelling to is amazing as is your lust for coffee.

Tap Tap - Reminded me of my time in Haiti as a missionary.  To get anywhere they would crowd 40 to 50 people into one of those death traps and ZOOM off they went.

It also painfully reminded me of why I no longer ride horses....
(my last horse ride in Haiti in 1991, the horse committed suicide)
True story

Please keep posting your trip reports, pretty please with coffee beans on top!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5025
Re:Marlins, Moros, Mamey and the Miracle Mile 2013/07/03 09:08:27 (permalink)
mar52
That picture of the Swiss Burger I believe is your finest photograph to date.  Makes me want to take a bite!
It definitely looked like an excellent burger but the seafood paella would have to be at the top of my list, with a bowl of black bean soup for a starter.

WJ, I see that Jose Fernandez was the Marlin pitcher in your first game.  I don't know how much you know about him but he's only 20 (a Cuban refugee) and looks to have a bright future.  Too bad he didn't get matched up against Matt Harvey; that would've been a great game for fans that appreciate pitching!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1