Martinsville Candy Kitchen, Martinsville, Indiana

Author
folklorist
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2008/01/19 20:11:54 (permalink)

Martinsville Candy Kitchen, Martinsville, Indiana

The Martinsville Candy Kitchen, located on the west side of the courthouse square in Martinsville, Indiana, is a hidden gem. Their specialty is handmade candy canes in about 25 different flavors, with peppermint being tops. In 2007, three people made nearly 25,000 canes! Order early or miss out. The business was started by a Greek immigrant in 1919, and many of the same recipes and much of the same equipment is still used. It's a sweet tradition.

8 Replies Related Threads

C Turner Joy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Martinsville Candy Kitchen, Martinsville, Indiana 2008/01/19 20:22:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by folklorist

The Martinsville Candy Kitchen, located on the west side of the courthouse square in Martinsville, Indiana, is a hidden gem. Their specialty is handmade candy canes in about 25 different flavors, with peppermint being tops. In 2007, three people made nearly 25,000 canes! Order early or miss out. The business was started by a Greek immigrant in 1919, and many of the same recipes and much of the same equipment is still used. It's a sweet tradition.

Do they sell Spam Candy? Mmmmm....Spam.
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1093
    RE: Martinsville Candy Kitchen, Martinsville, Indiana 2008/01/20 10:03:43 (permalink)
    Now that Poe's Cafeteria is a Walgreen's I almost never stop in Martinsville. I drive through quite frequently as my parents live in Bloomington. But maybe I will have to stop by and check out the Candy Kitchen. The only other place I remember as being good in Martinsville is Bynum's Steakhouse. Is it still there? I haven't noticed it the last few times but I am most likely distracted by all the crap on the other side of the street like the 25 car lots and every chain imaginable.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    RE: Martinsville Candy Kitchen, Martinsville, Indiana 2008/01/20 16:10:16 (permalink)
    C Turner Joy - NO

folklorist - we took my son there last year so he could see them making the candy canes, he was "hooked" on candy canes.

Joanne, I also really enjoyed "Cafe Indiana", I am looking forward to reading Cafe Wisconsin too.
    It must have been a wonderful experience travelling around exploring the small towns and cafes.

Thank you for such a great resource
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6379
    RE: Martinsville Candy Kitchen, Martinsville, Indiana 2008/01/20 19:49:16 (permalink)
    Spam is a Minnesota product. I don't know why you would think it for Martinsville. I have both Cafe Indiana and Cafe Wisconsin since I travel both states frequently they should be a good resource.
    folklorist
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Martinsville Candy Kitchen, Martinsville, Indiana 2008/01/20 20:58:12 (permalink)
    By the way, John Badger, owner of the Martinsville Candy Kitchen, recently "re-invented" Bonomo Turkish Taffy. He was making divinity and put in only half the sugar, and voila! The results taste, chew, stretch, freeze and break just like the old Bonomo. I am already addicted. Chocolate, strawberry, and banana versions are being discussed. Stay tuned.

Bynum's in Martinsville is still in business. There is a second-generation Poe's Cafeteria a few on State Road 67 a few miles south of Mooresville. It's a local favorite but not one of mine. mGray Brothers cafeteria is just a bit north on 67. It has best-ever fried chicken and Hoosier green beans porked up with ham, bits of onion, and chunks of boiled potatoes. The pie is pretty to look at but in my opinion overrated. For truly from-scratch pie, I opt for Kathy's Cafe in nearby Morgantown. Available only during the fall, the mincemeat is made with real pork (this is the Hoosier state, after all!). The rest of the year, go for the weighty wedges of cream pie. Crust is made with real lard, of course, but I find it laid into the pie plate a little thick. I am a pie snob.See my confessional sidebar, "Pie in the Sky," in Cafe Wisconsin Cookbook.
    angeltearsmc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Martinsville Candy Kitchen, Martinsville, Indiana 2008/01/22 09:13:11 (permalink)
    I grew up in Plainfield but I've never been to the Candy Kitchen... next time I go up to visit my family, I'll have to make a detour through Martinsville to check it out! And folklorist, I agree - I think Gray Bros is a better cafeteria than Poe's, any day. I'll put Kathy's on my list to try.
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1093
    RE: Martinsville Candy Kitchen, Martinsville, Indiana 2008/01/22 09:25:25 (permalink)
    I definitely agree about Gray Brothers and if I'm on 67 where they are next to each other I would always choose Gray Bros. But I did occasional stop in Martinsville at Poe's. They were about in the class of an MCL. Solid cafeteria food but ntohing out of the ordinary.

Sounds like I need to try this Kathy's Cafe.

Thanks
    bss717
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Martinsville Candy Kitchen, Martinsville, Indiana 2008/01/22 09:46:12 (permalink)
    I grew up in Martinsville and my parents still live there. I was at the Candy Kitchen this last November as we visited for Thanksgiving. It's still on the square, but in a new location from where I used to visit them as a child. My kids love to visit there....actually, I've still have a homemade rootbeer candy cane that somehow survived the holidays.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1