The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc.

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 70
BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Tue, 09/20/05 3:21 PM (permalink)
I rarely eat plain, mashed potatoes, but make twice-baked potatoes instead, which are really just mashed potatoes stuffed back into the shell of the potato.

It's a little work, so do several at a time, about six medium, red potatoes, wrap each potato in aluminum foil, bake in 350 oven until soft to touch (about 45 min-1 hr).

While the potatoes are baking, in a metal mixing bowl set on top of oven, add 1 stick of butter, and about 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese(butter should be melted by the time potatoes are cooked).

When the potatoes are done, hold each in a potholder, and cut a circle around top, lifting gently. Skim the red outer layer from the top of the potato and add the tops to the mixing bowl. Take a paring knife and cut around the edges of each potato, leaving about a 1/2" ridge. After using the paring knife to mark the outer area, I use a grapefruit spoon to scoop the potatoes out, but you need to be careful not to cut through that rim. Use warm milk, a little at a time, and mash, with salt and pepper to taste. I find it needs lots of salt to have any taste, and may just be my imagination, but the mixture doesn't get as lumpy, if you use milk that's been heated a little to get the chill off it.

After the potatoes are stuffed, garnish each top with more grated cheddar. They are cooked already, so when you go to serve them, just warm them on a low oven about 30 minutes. All you are really doing is heating them through and melting the cheese on top.

I think the secret is lots of cheese, salt, and warm milk. If you have young children and they don't like the sight of the black pepper, you can substitute white pepper.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
    RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Wed, 09/21/05 2:59 AM (permalink)
    Thank you for the recipe BelleReve. I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
      RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Wed, 09/21/05 8:17 AM (permalink)
      MC - Your'e good. Hope you try them, it's something my mother always made, which we continue to make. I also enjoy eating the whole potato, including what my father facetiously calls that "nut-like flavor of the skins."

Poopy

• Total Posts: 101
        RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Thu, 11/10/05 10:36 AM (permalink)
        I like to use russet potatoes and cook some carrots and turnips in the same water with lots of salt. When they are done, mash them all together with salt, pepper, butter and a little warmed up milk. Top that with some rich beef gravy and I'm good to go.

octopus

• Total Posts: 264
          RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Tue, 11/15/05 4:06 PM (permalink)
          Mostly I use Russets, but also will use Yukon Golds as well, I cut them into equal sized chunks roughly, I am a fan of overcooking the potato myself. after draining and retuning to the pot for a 5 lb bag i will mix in 1/4 cup (1 stick) of butter, without mashing. I then use a ricer/masher, right now I have an analon ricer/masher with a rubber handle. I mash and stir for about 5 minutes before adding milk I use cream on special days. when I add milk/cream I always eyeball it. then I continue to mash until my arm almost falls off. In my opinion there is nothing worse than finding a lump or chunk in mashed potatos. After mashing I transfer to a oven safe pan and put pats of butter over the top of them and put them in the oven for at least an hour at 350 or higher. It is like a twice baked potato only much better. Extra's ad salt, pepper, cheese, garlic, etc... to taste or mood. Mashed potatos is an art few master.

Lexi

• Total Posts: 248
            RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Tue, 11/15/05 4:36 PM (permalink)
            No one has mentioned my sister's secret ingredient - NUTMEG! I only use Idaho potatoes. Once they are cooked make sure they are dry so they will absorb the cream and an inappropriate amount of butter. Mash completely before adding 1/2 and 1/2 or cream (nothing less than whole milk), warmed up with the butter melted in. Plenty of sea salt, pepper and the above mentioned nutmeg. Sometimes we get the hand mixer out to whip them but we only do this if they remain on the stove with a flame tamer under them - they have to stay consistently warm.

And yes - I will admit to making lava with the gravy.

If you see me having mashed potatoes more than 3 days in a row I am in a serious funk and need a hug.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
              RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Tue, 11/15/05 7:57 PM (permalink)
              I'll have to try the nutmeg idea. I've always used nutmeg when making creamed spinach (ala Berghoff's in Chicago), but the concept of nutmeg in mashed potatoes intrigues me.

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Tue, 11/15/05 8:48 PM (permalink)
                VERY minimalist here-we here completely peel and soak in cold water...THEN drain the cold and use hot water to cook with- it seems to cook quicker and better that way

one thing I learned is to melt the butter in the milk

I am afraid I am lazy and use a mixer....but...I can get them nice and textured with a mixer,especially with the warm milk/melted butter mixture..AND an egg...

octopus

• Total Posts: 264
                  RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Wed, 11/16/05 3:39 PM (permalink)
                  mix in an egg the next day and fry them like a potato pancake, that's hot.

rjb

• Total Posts: 451
                    RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Wed, 11/16/05 5:39 PM (permalink)
                    Russets simmered with the skin on (very important) then pressed thru ricer. If you peel them first, they tend to dissolve, or at least get watery. Just cut 'em in half crossways when they're done, then rice 'em, skin & all. Works just like a garlic press. Add hot milk, butter & anything else that you fancy & presto. Very quick and therefore good for doing volume (as in a holiday dinner). Sort of fun too -- my ricer sounds kind of like I'm racking shells into a shotgun.

Kiowa1

• Total Posts: 189
                      RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Wed, 11/16/05 6:14 PM (permalink)
                      I swear by my potato ricer... no matter how they are prepped the ricer
                      makes the mashed... butter and gravy with mine, please...

unalaskawoman

• Total Posts: 90
                        RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Thu, 12/1/05 11:58 PM (permalink)
                        Peels left on, boiled with garlic, drained, mashed with vegetable broth, roasted garlic, butter, and cream, and mashed only until lumpy not smooth

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                          RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Tue, 12/6/05 2:53 PM (permalink)
                          For Thanksgiving we did a bring a dish dinner, one of my youngest daughters dish was mashed potatoes. Her brother had requested she leave the skins on but make sure there were no lumps. Well she forgot the skins but there was surely no lumps. Here's her recipe.... 3pounds potatoes boiled in garlic and salt water then premashed, one pound of butter, 1cup sour cream, 2 cups heavy cream. whip with cakemixer.. They weren't exactly soup like but they did spread out on the plate and they DID taste great!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                            RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Tue, 01/17/06 8:46 AM (permalink)
                            Well now I figured out what I'm going to have with my breaded and fryed pork chops tonight. I always add some cream cheese and chopped chives to my mashed spuds along with the cream and milk, just like mainlinning all that fat what the hell. My doctor who is a friend and neighbor of mine calls me the bravest person he has ever met, someone who faces death every time I sit down at the dinner table. Chow Jim

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                              RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Tue, 01/17/06 10:13 AM (permalink)
                              Hello All,
                              Jimeats, you made me so hungry. I love breaded and fried chops with mashed potatoes. Wish my wife could
                              make a decent mashed potatoes. Cream cheese and chopped chives sounds so good with the taters. I bet your
                              doctor friend would love a bite or two. It sounds too good to be bad.
                              Take Care,
                              Fieldthistle

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
                                RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Tue, 01/17/06 10:53 PM (permalink)
                                I use either russet or California Long Whites, bay leaf in the water as they boil, drain and remove bay leaf after done. Add heavy whipped cream, homemade or Amish butter, salt, sometimes some msg, and a dash of nutmeg. Mash those babies until they scream "UNCLE!" Serve with copious butter rivers and fresh grated black pepper and some gravy of choice on the side

Dr. Bob the cardiologist highly recommends this dish(and yes he has had mine before)

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                                  RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Sun, 01/22/06 7:06 PM (permalink)
                                  I'm a rice eater, not too enamored with mashed potatoes, but I'm told I make an great batch. I rice them by hand (Russets peeled) then add top cream, buttermilk, salt and pepper. They snarf them up. I will sometimes snip chives into the mix.

bcohio

• Total Posts: 5
                                    RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Wed, 02/1/06 11:35 AM (permalink)
                                    My mom was an old farm girl and she passed on a recipe she got from her mom. It's the most popular thing I make for my kids - I do the cooking here at our house, Mr. Mom. The ingredients are very simple - Idaho potatoes, whole milk or even cream, real butter and salt. The whole trick is in the timing to achieve that slightly lumpy but rich SW Ohio via southern Ill. texture.

Try this some time: peel your potatoes, cut them into equal size chunks so they all finish cooking at the same time (important), and drop them in a pot with cold water to cover. Bring them up to a medium boil and cook say 15 minutes. Trick 1, to tell their doneness stick a fork in one of the pieces. If it sticks to the fork it needs a little more time. The chunks should crack open and fall off the fork like a baked potato. On the other hand, if they get too mushy so will the final mashed ones be. Drain and leave in pot off of fire. Cut pats of butter (I go by eye how much to put in but usually half milk and half butter) and add to the potatoes and let it melt. Add your milk to where you can just see where the fluid level is through the potatoes, maybe about an inch's worth in a tall saute pan, and add salt to taste. Trick 2, use an electric hand mixer set on medium and go around the pan with it 2 or 3 times, watching for that moment when everything is mixed well but still may have small lumps for texture. If you beat them too much it's like they emusify and turn into starchy paste. Yuck. Serve immediately with a slice of butter stuck in the top of each helping.

If it's not served with a slow-cooked all-day pot roast falling-apart tender (what I made last night) my 10 and 12 year old boys inhale chicken and noodles served in a bowl over a mound of the mashed potatoes. I save wing tips and other unused pieces of chicken to make broth, so I throw chicken breasts and the tips into a pot and let it simmer for hours until shreddable, then hand-shred and debone. Then I just throw the meat back in the broth, salt, and add egg noodles. The flour in the noodles thickens the broth by the time they're done.

bcohio

• Total Posts: 5
                                      RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Wed, 02/1/06 1:09 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello all,
                                      The suggestions so far are great. Thank you. May sound strange, but I like to mix corn in with my mashed potatoes,(after, not during the making of the mashed potatoes). Also, have been known to put a dab of mustard in the mashed potatoes and stir it into it.
                                      Take Care,
                                      Fieldthistle

When I waa a kid and my mom made mashed potatoes and gravy I always insisted on my lava cone to hold the gravy, and a side of peas with a butterknife. Then you scoop up a blob of potatoes with the knife, dip in gravy, press down on peas to adhere, and then gobble it up.

BlueberrieSwirl

• Total Posts: 22
                                        RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Thu, 03/9/06 10:58 PM (permalink)
                                        1.Do you have a secret to good mashed potatoes?

I must be a rare one in this (as per usual for me..hehe), but I like my mashed potatoes about the consistency of a well cooked baked potato. Just a bit of salt, more then a bit of pepper, butter, and enough milk to mash it. It always tasted 'fresher' that way, for me. Sour cream & chives, or cheddar can find their way into it too.

2.What is your favorite combo to eat with mashed potatoes, because they need another food to be eaten with?

I usually have mine with chicken (baked, fried, what have you), and a veggie on the side.

3.What type of potato makes the best mashed potato?

I've been dying to try a good russet potato, but for now I use the standard type you get in the grocery store in the big bags.

4.My parents made potato cakes out of leftovers, what can or do you add to make potato cakes a little more zesty or spicy?

The only recipe I got for them called for the usual, onions, peppers, spices.

stevencarry

• Total Posts: 359
                                          RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Thu, 03/9/06 11:12 PM (permalink)
                                          Welcome Blueberri, I think you'll find if you ask too many (even good) questions less people focus.
                                          Good luck though!
                                          For an answer;
                                          I will say #2 Is with Grilled Salmon and Asparagus

I also think mashed potatos are great alone

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                            RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Fri, 03/10/06 6:38 AM (permalink)
                                            I couldn't possibly think about eating meatloaf with out mashed potatos unless it was a sandwich. Chow Jim

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                              RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Fri, 03/10/06 9:26 AM (permalink)
                                              Little red potatoes -- with the good red color on the skin, none of the darker ones -- boiled whole, unpeeled. Drained, mashed with kosher salt, butter, and cream or half-&-half.

We permit ourselves this version about three times a year. Johanna Killeen of R.I.'s Al Forno tops them with gremolata, a blend of lemon zest, garlic, and parsley mixed together, which provides a nice counter to the richness of the potatoes.

Leftovers may be made into patties, floured and fried, although if you do this the next morning, you may want to eliminate fats entirely for a week or two.

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
                                                RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Fri, 03/10/06 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                                I have learned to like big garlic/butter croutons mixed in with my hot mashed potatoes. Can't remember where I heard about it, but the crunchy-creamy combination just rocks. When I don't have any of my own croutons I use T. Marzetti's Large Cut Garlic and Butter ones.

And I have been known to have mashed potatoes with a hot dog. You are the first folks I have told about this, probably for good reason...

marky

• Total Posts: 104
                                                  RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Fri, 03/10/06 12:18 PM (permalink)
                                                  i make smashed idaho potatoes skin on boiled with lots of garlic in the water. lots of chopped shallotts ground pepper butter little heavy cream and the key ingrediant is truffel oil. salt to taste splash of worstershire and parsley. try truffel oil once and you will never want them without it

Big Butt BBQ

• Total Posts: 26
                                                    RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Fri, 03/10/06 12:24 PM (permalink)
                                                    This potato thing is making me hungry. I usually stick with russets or yukon golds. Cook the spuds till fork tender. Heat heavy cream and butter. Add salt & pepper,roasted garlic and a little grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
                                                    I then eat about half of my serving before mixing the corn or peas in the potato's.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                                      • Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                      RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Fri, 03/10/06 5:54 PM (permalink)
                                                      Man, all of this sounds great! So much to cook and soooo little time. It reminded me of sheperds pie... mashed potatoes, onoins, corn, green peas, ground beef, all baked together, yummmmm.
                                                      Joe

Catracks

• Total Posts: 196
                                                        • Location: Southern, CA
                                                        RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Fri, 03/10/06 6:35 PM (permalink)
                                                        1.Do you have a secret to good mashed potatoes?
                                                        No secret. It's a simple butter, milk, salt and pepper to taste thing.

Husband likes to add cheddar cheese. I like garlic sometimes. Bacon and cheese is cool.

2.What is your favorite combo to eat with mashed potatoes, because they need another food to be eaten with?
                                                        Chicken and pan gravy
                                                        Pork chops and pan gravy
                                                        Roast beef and gravy
                                                        Roast anything and gravy
                                                        Anything

3.What type of potato makes the best mashed potato?
                                                        White rose are sometimes better, but I usually just use russets.

4.My parents made potato cakes out of leftovers, what can or do you add to make potato cakes a little more zesty or spicy?
                                                        Cayenne pepper

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                                                          • Location: jacksonville, FL
                                                          RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Fri, 03/10/06 7:19 PM (permalink)

As I said before I prefer my mashed taters, just that, mashed. And only slightly, with butter, ketchup or brown gravy to perk them up, thats for BOILED. Lately I've been using baked potatoes (baked to many one night) Kind of like twice baked potato's, scoop out the "meat" of the baked spud, add buter, cheese, choppedNsweated onions, saltNpepper, nuke on medium 1-2 minutes then add warmed milk and mash.... heatNeat..... bottled blucheese dressing instead of chedder cheese also negates the need for milk..

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                            • Location: columbus, oh
                                                            RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. Fri, 03/10/06 8:55 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Jimeats

I couldn't possibly think about eating meatloaf with out mashed potatos unless it was a sandwich. Chow Jim

Even then, put the mashies on the sandwich!
                                                            Best of both worlds, but I like my bread toasted, then its not too mushy to eat.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 70

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com