Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
curried bluebonnet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. 2006/04/13 00:28:44 (permalink)
I use russets or yukon golds and I do peel them, I've got picky young 'uns here. I do something weird I read about in a parenting magazine years ago--I add cauliflower when cooking the potatoes (and usually add several or more garlic cloves to the h2o when boiling). My 9 year old boy will eat "regular" mashed pot. fine, but when cooked this way he always has seconds, even thirds! Just got a ricer this year and love it, though family tradition dictates the mixer. My daddy mixes with creamed corn, which I love, too, and makes my family sick. We eat them several times a month--I do use butter, but fat free half and half instead of cream--still rich tasting. Love them with everything--usually beef roasts and chicken.
ernieson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. 2006/05/17 15:04:10 (permalink)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyyEc-GNDfQ&search=paul%20mccartney

If you watch this and not laugh - you are a better man than I.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. 2006/05/17 15:23:10 (permalink)
Ernieson,
in a word...
Brilliant!

ernieson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. 2006/05/17 15:58:30 (permalink)
Thank you!

By the way, I've never heard of the onion trick - I'll have to try it.
ztowanda
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. 2006/08/31 23:50:21 (permalink)
Is there really anything better than mashed potatoes? I'm glad to see someone mention the work involved in twice bakeds.. which I love.... it finally dawned on me to forget the baking all together and just put the goodies in a big pot of mashed potatoes. Sharp cheddar, bacon, butter and plenty of sour cream... altho Hidden Valley Ranch is also a good add.

I'd also like to put in my two cents for gravy. Fried chicken gravy is good.. but I don't do fried chicken (couldn't compete with my mother!!)... but I do have a good tip for good roast beef gravy... ok a couple... first is I like to sit my roast on a thick slice or two of onion... flavors the meat and the broth and keeps the meat from sticking to the pan. The other thing is I like to keep my roast covered until the last 30 minutes.. then uncover the meat, turn the oven from bake to broil... leaving the temp at 325... just till the meat gets a little crusty... then turn the meat crust side down for just a few minutes. This results in a darker, more roasty flavor in the broth.. which ultimately makes the gravy better. Then it's just a matter of thickening and serving! I use either flour or cornstarch, whichever is handy... mixed with a half cup of COLD water.. whisk it into the boiling broth... with the flour, make sure it's cooked long enough after it thickens so it doesn't taste flour-ee. Whew... better make some biscuits too... just in case your mashed potatoes don't soak up all the gravy on your plate!
ztowanda
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. 2006/08/31 23:57:45 (permalink)
How did I forget the kechup? I was in the hospital once for 6 weeks... and instant potatoes were served about 8 times a week... they wouldn't give me salt or butter... so I learned to eat them with kechup. Maybe one has to be on hospital rations to appreciate this... but it was as close to french fries as I could hope to get! Now, some 13 years later... I still strive to make enough mashed potatoes to have some left over... so that in the morning I can microwave them and douse them in kechup... my family thinks I am nuts!
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1074
RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. 2006/09/01 11:20:14 (permalink)
We would use i think mainly reds or russets.The only thing my mom put in was salt,pper,milk and butter or margarine.Mash them with the potato masher.If there were a few little lumps,that was fine.My dad didn't care for mashed potatos with the skins in it.We went out to eat at various times,and he ecountered that at a couple of restaraunts.he ate them and said they tasted alright,but just didn't care for them that way.Momma also made baked stuffed potatoes which were good.
And I like meatloaf or potroast mainly with my mashed potatoes though baked porkchops are good too.
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. 2006/09/01 13:11:50 (permalink)
Hello All,
Wow, this thread still lives. I love all who love Mashed Potatoes.
Ztowanda, I've never mixed ketchup with mashed potatoes, but like
stirring a little mustard in them. In your honour, I'll try the ketchup.
HollyDolly, I'm in your Dad's camp as far as mashed potatoes with skins.
And I haven't found any meat that doesn't go with mashed potatoes, especially
if you're hungry. Had a bacon sandwich with left-over mashed potatoes this morning.
Ztowanda, I also liked your two cents for gravy. Your words were worth over a
dollar to me.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. 2006/09/01 13:19:39 (permalink)
My Mom always made what I guess people would refer to as "whipped" potatoes. Whatever variety, boiled soft and beaten smooth with the 40's Hamilton Beach stand mixer. People loved 'em, raved about 'em. My Nephew still talks about them. Then she got her Kitchen Aid. Taste was there, but the texture was all wrong. I inherited the old HB and continued to make great whipped potatoes until it died.
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Mashed Potatoes-How Do You Like Them and etc. 2006/09/01 13:50:26 (permalink)
Hello All,
Ashphalt, I think I know what you mean about whipped potatoes. My mom never
had lumps in her mashed potatoes, and they were always made with an electric
mixer. They were always so smooth, but firm. My wife does not have Mom's touch
when it comes to mashed potatoes, but I'll never let her know.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1