The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Matlock Hot Dog?

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 82 of 82
WildWalker

• Total Posts: 47
RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Mon, 01/26/04 11:33 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

Well, I'm more than impressed Mr. WildWalker. Such planning and conscientousness is rare. Best wishes to ya!

Such complements. And from a cheeseburger!
Thank you.

Wild Walker
Walker of Wilderness, Wilding edible plants...

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
    RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Tue, 01/27/04 4:19 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fdaniels

So, Elise, when is the wedding?

Not so fast...you still have to contend with Auntie Loretta and Cousin Pierre!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
      RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Wed, 01/28/04 1:54 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by clothier

Are cousins Bo and Luke coming to the hitching?

Who cares about them---is DAISY gonna be there
      and if she is---can i come

WildWalker

RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Wed, 01/28/04 3:55 PM (permalink)
        The Matlock takes on it's character of it's namesake, practical, resourceful, cheap.

The Matlock ideal is a Chicago 7-ingredient style:

0)The hot dog doesn't hardly appear to be an ingredient, but I believe ideal Chicago style uses a hot dog with fillers that make it blump up upon boiling. I'm using Hebrew Nationals' Kosher 1/4 lb All Beef Polish Sausage.

1) I grilled, not boiled, as grilling tastes better. And therefore my leftovers on hand, have been grilled.

2) I used plain jumbo hotdog buns with poppy seed sprinkled inside, as I have not yet found Poppy Seed Jumbo (or otherwise) Buns.

3) I used French' Yellow Mustard.

4) Green Sweet Relish

5) Chopped yellow onions

6) Chopped red tomato

7) Picle: Kosher Dill

8) Hot peppers: I did one with Jalapeno, one with sarrano.
        I prepared "toothpicks" of pepper by removing seeds and inner white membrane, then slicing long narrow toothpicks from the outer meat.
        I felt sutle heat after eating, no burning while eating.

9) I used celery seed rather than celergy salt, since I am on a salt free diet.

--------------
        Evaluation: I had taste tested from the end on one dog, hence there was bun & dressing at the bottom end of that dog. Was it obvious the dog had run out...and was missing? Not immediately. :-)
        If one is clever, one can get the dog to one side of the mouth, and eat the salad with the other half of the mouth, and be aware of both, the meat, and the dressing at the same time.

Using this civil method of pepper prep, I can tackle my hot pepper supply. But this salad mix isn't taylored to my taste...but to a forlorn people, blown by wind, snow and freezing rain. There is much room for a California make over.

Wild Walker: Hot Dog planner, strategist, cook, and prep slep.
        The Cafe

fdaniels

• Total Posts: 84
          RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Sun, 02/8/04 7:26 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by tiki

quote:

Catherine Bach, who played Cousin Daisy,
          was in Cannonball Run II with Shirley MacLaine
          who was in Terms of Endearment with Jack Nicholson
          who was in A Few Good Men with Kevin Bacon.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
            RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Sun, 02/8/04 10:04 PM (permalink)
            quote:

And don't forget Dan-O's haiwaian doughnuts.

Dearfolk,
            Cook 'em, Dan-O.
            Deeply Fryingly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
            P. S. Although he didn't do the cooking, it's still a valid statement. I'm not sure he did the booking, either... did he?

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Sun, 02/8/04 10:11 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by WildWalker
              Originally posted by GordonW
              I don't recall the relish or mustard.
              WildWalker,
              It would have to be Cates' or Mount Olive... something made in North Carolina. Won't nothin' else do.
              Seriously, Ort. Carlton in Relatively Nearby Athens, Georgia.
              P. S. Cates puts out a dill relish that is TO DIE FOR. It's almost as dilly as Harold Craver's mama's dilliest dill slaw. Now, folks - that's WAY PLUMB dilly.
              P. P. S. I think the writing in of the hot dog vendor was Andy's idea. We have them here in Athens; one of ours is a refugee from Bulgaria who wishes for the types of wurst he used to eat at home. Hmmm. I'll have to press him for details one night.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Sun, 02/8/04 10:17 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by stevekoe

If we want tv-themed food receipes, shouldn't we look for the Soup Nazi's Muligatawny, Granny Clampett's hog gizzards, Ralph Kramden's 'Delicious Mystery Apetizer', and any one of Cliff Huxtable's amazing colorful sweater-expanding sandwiches? Of course, we could wash it all down with a cup of Yemana's coffee.

Steve

Steve,
                Hog gizzards?!? Hogs don't have gizzards!! Chickens and turkeys do! I know it's their mistake (the show's writers, who didn't know any better - or else thought it was funny, even if it's totally anatomically inaccurate) and not yours, though, so it's easy to forgive you.
                But HOW could you forget Granny Clampett's owl soup? I've wanted to try that ever since I heard of it on there. I can't help but wonder what sort of owl would be used... horned?... barn??... screech???... night????
                Getting My Bug Vittles Out Of Here, Ort. Carlton in Nowhere Near That Quaint Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Sun, 02/8/04 10:21 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by i95

[green]"Six-Degrees-of-Kevin Bacon"

i95,
                  There must be a Masonic connection to this somewhere.
                  Unjoiningly, Ort. ("Zeroth Degree") Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Sun, 02/8/04 10:23 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Lone Star

Oh I remember now Grampy . What's that smell????

Lone Star,
                    Smells like Lynyrd Skynyrd to me, man.
                    Lawd, Lawd, I Can't Change (Wearing Yesterday's Vlothes Again), Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                      RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Sun, 02/8/04 11:30 PM (permalink)
                      quote:

quote:

Now, now, my family are Northern Alberta hillbillies! A far cry from Southern hillbillies!

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
                        RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Mon, 02/9/04 8:07 AM (permalink)
                        quote:

Now, now, my family are Northern Alberta hillbillies! A far cry from Southern hillbillies!

Where in Alberta? I have very dear friends in Camrose!

WildWalker

RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Wed, 02/11/04 9:33 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by i95

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by JimInKy

Well, I'm more than impressed Mr. WildWalker. Such planning and conscientousness is rare. Best wishes to ya!

I second that, WildWalker, and a belated welcome to you !

Thank you for the welcome, i95.

A week's planning, and followup for a couple weeks to adjust to the experience I had with the crowd, market segment.

I'm surprised that my favorite way to dress the dogs myself is with minimal condiments, now that I have a foundation of a dog I like the taste of. I take slivers of jalapeno and sarrano peppers and grilled onions.

WildWalker

WildWalker

RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Wed, 02/11/04 9:46 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by scbuzz

Sounds like you have a neat setup Wildwalker !! Welcome to Roadfood !

Thank you for the compliment on my setup, SCbuzz!

I do appreciate the warm welcome. I dared post a question about hot dog fixen, and I was surprised at the reaction of some deriders. I guess you have that type anywhere, even among hot doggers.

quote:
                            I like to boil my hot dogs in
                            water or beer and then drain the water and fry the dogs in the hot pan to put a singe on the outside !
                            I usually steam the buns over the fry pan while I am boiling the dogs !

Do your dogs swell up when you boil them? I prefer my Hebrew National Kosher All Beef 1/4 lb Polish sausages just slow grilled, nicely browned all round from cooking in their own juices.

I did warm some buns over the fry pan, but I found that in the bussel of serving 120, the buns were done uneven due to being too busy.
                            If a bun got too steamed it would lose it's strength to support those jumbo polishes. So I steamed the buns lightly in a large SS pot.

quote:
                            I like yellow mustard, onions and chili on my hot dog !

As for the peppers used on Matlock .... I'm not sure which ones they were. I watched the show,
                            but do not remember that.

Good luck !

Yes, plane yellow mustard is popular with my crew, also. I get requests for the chili, but it's just too much bother for me to have another hot entre. I have Beef hot dogs, and chicken sliced breasts. That is more than enough variety for me, one salt, one saltless.

Oh so you did see the show. I think that show depicks two hot dog lovers who develop a friendship from that common interest.
                            In my experience, that comes closest to the purpose of these hot dog forums is, that I have seen.

I was surprised that the peppers were not too hot for me, once I had removed the seeds.

Wild Walker

WildWalker

RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Wed, 02/11/04 9:54 AM (permalink)
                              quote:

I like the dogs steamed in beer then grilled rather then boiled

Steamed in beer, rather than boiled, now that is a change of pace.
                              What does the steaming accomplish, other than getting steamy?
                              quote:
                              i gotta admire a man that puts this much thought into a hot dog feast!!! Wish i was there to eat it with ya!!!

Wish you were here buying and eating these dogs, also.

Thank you for compliments on the hot dog feast I have prepared for the crowd of 120 here.

It's interesting to see the vast range of reactions I get from the crowd. One demanded I put out a tip jar, and gave me a $1 tip. The next woman ranted and complained that $3 was just too much for a 1/4 lb all beef Hebrew National Kosher Polish sausage with all the fixens.
                              I have not found a lower price on the internet. I'd be interested in the price range for such a dog to be found on the internet.
                              I know I have to charge that much to break even, what with all the inventory shrinkage that does on during receipe development. :-)

Wild Walker

WildWalker

RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Wed, 02/11/04 9:59 AM (permalink)
                                quote:

Anyway, doesn't this whole thread fall dangerously close to being deleted for being an ad?

I certainly don't advertise or recommend eating the hot dogs I serve.
                                I recommend not eating any salt or processed fats, or even many saturated fats.

So I don't recommend eating hot dogs, period.
                                Not at my road side food stop, or anywhere.
                                The hot dogs inflame my edema, and make my joints swell up as if I had arthritis. If I didn't have to develop cooking methods, and compare comdiment combinations, I wouldn't have any excuse to eat 'em.

Wild Walker

WildWalker

RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Wed, 02/11/04 10:01 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Lone Star

WildWalker - your menu sounds good.

Yes, it is a great menu! Thank you.

Wild Walker

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                    RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Wed, 02/11/04 1:40 PM (permalink)
                                    Wildwalker---makes em taste good!!!!esp if you cant get a greqat dog to start with, but good with any dog--polish too--even brats!--use a good beer! Last on i did it with was Sierra Neveda Celebration Ale.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Sat, 02/14/04 2:36 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:

quote:

quote:

I do appreciate the warm welcome. I dared post a question about hot dog fixen, and I was surprised at the reaction of some deriders. I guess you have that type anywhere, even among hot doggers.

quote:
                                      water or beer and then drain the water and fry the dogs in the hot pan to put a singe on the outside !

Do your dogs swell up when you boil them? I prefer my Hebrew National Kosher All Beef 1/4 lb Polish sausages just slow grilled, nicely browned all round from cooking in their own juices.

I did warm some buns over the fry pan, but I found that in the bussel of serving 120, the buns were done uneven due to being too busy.
                                      If a bun got too steamed it would lose it's strength to support those jumbo polishes. So I steamed the buns lightly in a large SS pot.

quote:

As for the peppers used on Matlock .... I'm not sure which ones they were. I watched the show,

Good luck !

Yes, plane yellow mustard is popular with my crew, also. I get requests for the chili, but it's just too much bother for me to have another hot entre. I have Beef hot dogs, and chicken sliced breasts. That is more than enough variety for me, one salt, one saltless.

Oh so you did see the show. I think that show depicks two hot dog lovers who develop a friendship from that common interest.
                                      In my experience, that comes closest to the purpose of these hot dog forums is, that I have seen.

I was surprised that the peppers were not too hot for me, once I had removed the seeds.

Wild Walker

WildWalker, my man, You know what?

I think it's time to up the dosage on your medication.

mmmmmm.... Hot Dogs and Medication!

WildWalker

RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Sun, 02/15/04 3:32 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good luck !

Wild Walker

WildWalker, my man, You know what?

I think it's time to up the dosage on your medication.

Yeah, you probably would like some more of my drugs too.
                                        Hey, I'll give you some if you tell me how to make the couter count the number of my posts. I mean, how long can it stay at 45?

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 888
                                          RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Mon, 02/16/04 9:48 AM (permalink)
                                          Ye Gods, how in the heck did I miss this absolute train wreck of a thread for the last month?? And what fun reading. For extraordinary perseverence in the face of overwhelming odds and the addition of Bacon to what is essentially a kosher hot dog thread, and in keeping with its' television series orientation, I dub thee Wild Walker, hotdog Ranger...

anselmo1

• Total Posts: 126
                                            RE: Matlock Hot Dog? Mon, 02/16/04 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                            Can't eat a hot dog unless it is charboiled on a grill. Boiled or steam hot dogs are like eating rubber.

I love chopped onions, Weber's mustard, hot sauce and a pickle on my dog.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                              Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 82 of 82

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com