Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10328
2012/08/09 03:27:33 (permalink)

Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving

Many Roadfood visitors as well as locals have extolled the virtues of Matt's Big Breakfast joint in Phoenix. Even Guy on DDD has been there. 
Problem is Matt's Big Breakfast ain't very big. If you're coming to PHX after this month and go looking for Matt's, it ain't there! It's moved up the street.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/20120721matts-big-breakfast-moving-larger-quarters-nearby.html
The old joint:

Some of the Chow:

http://mattsbigbreakfast.com/
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/08/09 03:32:18

5 Replies Related Threads

Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving 2012/08/09 07:43:47 (permalink)
    I had breakfast last fall and it was fabulous.
    Even though it was waaaay tooooo small, it had it's charm. Hopefully the new place will be able to keep the same vibe.
    http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...tts-big-breakfast.html

DT
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving 2012/08/09 17:09:04 (permalink)
    Davwud
    I had breakfast last fall and it was fabulous.
    Even though it was waaaay tooooo small, it had it's charm. Hopefully the new place will be able to keep the same vibe.
    http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...tts-big-breakfast.html
    DT

As I understand it, It should be OK.
    They plan to take all the crusted-on Grease in the kitchen with them to maintain the flavors!
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2720
    Re:Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving 2012/11/30 12:10:58 (permalink)
    We tried Matt's today.  Mediocre, at best. 

The tiny OJ was bitter and expensive.  The meats were really good, omelet and home fries were decent.  Our waffle was poor.  We have had better at make-it-yourself hotel buffets.

Service sucked.  Our waitress ignored our order when it was ready and left it sitting until another server brought it five minutes later.  There was no heat lamp apparent while the food cooled off as she ignored it.  She actually hung the slip for another order over our food without bringing it to us.  She had to get a glass of water to another customer first.

My guess is the restaurant's small size created a buzz among the locals who have never had a really good breakfast.
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving 2012/11/30 12:45:42 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

The tiny OJ was bitter and expensive.  The meats were really good, omelet and home fries were decent.  Our waffle was poor.  We have had better at make-it-yourself hotel buffets.

Service sucked.  Our waitress ignored our order when it was ready and left it sitting until another server brought it five minutes later.  There was no heat lamp apparent while the food cooled off as she ignored it.  She actually hung the slip for another order over our food without bringing it to us.  She had to get a glass of water to another customer first.

My guess is the restaurant's small size created a buzz among the locals who have never had a really good breakfast.

Well as I said, my one visit was fantastic. There was nothing I had that I wouldn't gladly order again.
    Sadly, I was worried the place just wouldn't be the same after the move. Perhaps not.
    Also, I was waited on by a young guy. My service was just fine.

DT
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving 2012/12/01 00:42:14 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

I've not been to the new place yet but based on 3 trips to the old place, I'm in no hurry to go either. i was underwhelmed by the food and service at the old place. I went back the second time because I thought maybe they were just having a bad day. Went back a 3rd time to confirm trips 1 & 2 were for real. They were. There won't be a trip 4!
    Jim,
    Don't know if you're in town this weekend or not but if so, check out The Tempe Festival of the Arts. It's rated one of the top 20 festivals in the Nation.
     http://www.tempefestivalofthearts.com/festival-facts Good Breakfast Hole-In-the-Wall in Tempe - Harlow's Cafe - University & Hardy in Tempe. It'll be crowded but worth the wait especially for the biscuits. No web site. go to Urbanspoon.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1