Mayfield Dairy, Athens, TN

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15302
2003/04/06 10:54:33 (permalink)

Mayfield Dairy, Athens, TN

Using our I-75 guide, we were looking for a snack-rest after walking all over the Sweetwater,TN flea market yesterday. Deciding that we would hold a BBQ stop for our dinner later, we got off I-75 at Exit 52 and headed east to Athens, to the MAYFIELD DAIRY. They offer tours of the ice cream operation during the week, and have a nice visitors center and Ice Cream Parlor to enjoy also. The ice cream is Great ! Creamy and with strong but not overpowering flavors, you can buy it by the scoop, or in sundaes or shakes. A nice patio area with shade trees and tables make it a comfortable place to catch your breath and enjoy the sweet cream at the same time. A photo review will be submitted for this stop. It is worth the 5 mile sidetrip off the Interstate.

11 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: Mayfield Dairy, Athens, TN 2003/04/06 13:00:34 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, Scotty Mayfield's brother is my next door neighbor. He brings his boat up to my dock on a regular basis and we occasionly share liquid refrishments. Mayfield's has great ice cream and cottage cheese. If you are going back through Clarksville, TN there is a great catfish joint on the river there. They only bring it out hot and is served with a heap of condiments.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Mayfield Dairy, Athens, TN 2003/04/11 18:14:02 (permalink)
    I was at Walmart the other day and I noticed a guy loading up with Mayfields Ice Cream. I remarked that he must be awfully hungry as he had at least a dozen half gallon containers of different varities of Mayfields Ice Cream. He told me that he was from southern California and was originally from Athens, TN. He added that southern California had excellent ice cream, but when he had Mayfields, it reminded him of home and he was going to ship it back FedEx with dry ice. I read back in the forum and I noticed that several readers had remarked that certain products had regional appeal. I think it is wonderful that people can do things like that which reminds them of the most precious place "home"

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Mayfield Dairy, Athens, TN 2004/03/26 11:50:31 (permalink)
    The Grocery Store that I buy most of by groceries from just started stocking Mayfield Ice Cream this week and it is Buy One get One Free.
    I'll have to try it. What is your favorite flavors?
    sauceman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Mayfield Dairy, Athens, TN 2004/03/26 15:43:24 (permalink)
    If you get into downtown Athens, try Riddle and Wallace Drugstore for milkshakes. The ladies who work there always get annoyed when I tell them to thin down my milkshake a bit. As you can imagine, all the dairy products are Mayfield.

Fred Sauceman
    Johnson City, Tennessee
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Mayfield Dairy, Athens, TN 2006/06/02 12:28:55 (permalink)
    I made a trip down to Athens the other day to pick up my Honda Metropolitan. I made another stop at the Mayfields museum and dairy. Believe me, that is a great stop. A huge cone of their delicious ice cream for a dollar. It was more than I could consume. I got their Turtle Tracks.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Mayfield Dairy, Athens, TN 2006/06/02 14:19:38 (permalink)
    Yep. took the family down into the area about 8 monthd ago. Made the stop..did the tour and the movie. Had some ide cream. Good stuff.

Paul, is that catfish place still there? Might go back.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Mayfield Dairy, Athens, TN 2006/06/02 19:33:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

Yep. took the family down into the area about 8 monthd ago. Made the stop..did the tour and the movie. Had some ide cream. Good stuff.

Paul, is that catfish place still there? Might go back.

I am not familar with the catfish place unless you are referring to Allison's in Maryville, TN which is super and has a beautiful setting on their personal lakes.

If that is so, it is open now. It is closed during the winter. Great pie, catfish and the setting is super.

Paul E. smith
    Knoxville, TN
    RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Mayfield Dairy, Athens, TN 2006/06/02 19:56:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

... If you are going back through Clarksville, TN there is a great catfish joint on the river there. They only bring it out hot and is served with a heap of condiments.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Well, my mistake then. I thought you were talking about a joint on the river... that served catfish...hot..with condiments.

..guess I'll keep looking.. ;-)
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Mayfield Dairy, Athens, TN 2006/06/02 20:17:56 (permalink)
    larry,
    The one Paul was referring to was the Riverview on the Cumberland near Clarksville (actually on the edge of Ashland City) Good Catfish House with waterside eating !!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Mayfield Dairy, Athens, TN 2006/06/02 20:53:25 (permalink)
    I am not sure how this got confused. The place in Clarksville was very good but I was referring to the place in Maryville, TN called Allison's Catfish off highway 321.

The place in Clarksville, TN was very good but this place has a beautiful setting and is also very good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Mayfield Dairy, Athens, TN 2006/06/02 21:04:26 (permalink)
    Sorry about adding to the confusion.... The Riverview is a good place to go when you are up in the Clarksville area...But apparently I mixed it up with the Athens location.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1