Hot!Mayo on a cheese steak??????????

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 493
Re:Mayo on a cheese steak?????????? 2014/06/11 08:54:36 (permalink)
I like mayo on beef sandwiches, including what we get for local "steak and cheese" grinders. I've not yet had the pleasure of a true philly cheesesteak - my first one I promise will be as they make it, but I reserve the right to add mayo for future sandwiches if I so desire.
SeamusD
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1027
Re:Mayo on a cheese steak?????????? 2014/06/11 11:23:08 (permalink)
I don't put mayo on anything. I will occasionally put ketchup on a cheesesteak, but that's only if it's not very good, but I'd rather have A-1.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 860
Re:Mayo on a cheese steak?????????? 2014/06/11 11:51:53 (permalink)
I agree with the A1
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 543
Re:Mayo on a cheese steak?????????? 2014/06/11 12:58:10 (permalink)
For me, the Philly cheesesteak is perfect as it is, and mayo truly does not seem to belong.

But we have always used either mayo or ketchup on cold leftover roast beef, depending on mood.  The delicious sandwiches later are after a pot roast dinner are a bonus for us.  Sliced beef, salt & pepper, and the condiment, simple and delish.

But after the mention of roast beef po' boys , I had to google around for some pictures, and now I've gotta have it!

IndianaPete
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
Re:Mayo on a cheese steak?????????? 2014/06/14 18:45:57 (permalink)
You purists are killin' me.
I once stood behind a old blue haired Jewish woman who ordered a corned beef on rye with mayo and lettuce.  Another time a buddy of mine ordered a cheesesteak and put mustard on it.  A local Chicago dog place won't give you access to the condiments.  It's their way or the highway.   kakakakaakaakakakakaka
Keysey42
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:Mayo on a cheese steak?????????? 2014/06/14 21:11:19 (permalink)
Foodbme:

Interesting that the original Philly didn't even come with cheese, and even when they started adding cheese, it was provolone. From what I understand from people I know from Philly, it's not considered a "real" cheesesteak these days without the Cheez Whiz.

Which reveals the problem with being a food purist: a new dish is created, than others put their own stamp on it, it evolves, and eventually, the accepted — heck, the "pure" version — bears no resemblance to the original creation.

Which is fine with me. If I ever get to Philly, I plan to get a "real" Philly cheesesteak. I may even try one with Whiz and one with provolone. And no, I won't add anything else to it. But in my hot dog vending days (here in Florida), I actually had customers from Chicago berating other customers for putting ketchup on their hot dogs. That's just wrong, in my book.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10332
Re:Mayo on a cheese steak?????????? 2014/06/14 21:24:42 (permalink)
Keysey42

Foodbme:

Interesting that the original Philly didn't even come with cheese, and even when they started adding cheese, it was provolone. From what I understand from people I know from Philly, it's not considered a "real" cheesesteak these days without the Cheez Whiz.

Which reveals the problem with being a food purist: a new dish is created, than others put their own stamp on it, it evolves, and eventually, the accepted — heck, the "pure" version — bears no resemblance to the original creation.

Which is fine with me. If I ever get to Philly, I plan to get a "real" Philly cheesesteak. I may even try one with Whiz and one with provolone. And no, I won't add anything else to it. But in my hot dog vending days (here in Florida), I actually had customers from Chicago berating other customers for putting ketchup on their hot dogs. That's just wrong, in my book.

What's wrong? Berating Customers or putting Ketchup on a Hot Dog???
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1024
Re:Mayo on a cheese steak?????????? 2014/06/14 21:28:25 (permalink)
When it comes right down to it, if you want mayo on your cheese steak that's fine.  If you want ketchup on your hot dog that's fine as well.
What the heck, people look at me funny when I put salt on my watermelon and apple butter on my scrapple
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10332
Re:Mayo on a cheese steak?????????? 2014/06/14 21:53:47 (permalink)
ChrisOC
When it comes right down to it, if you want mayo on your cheese steak that's fine.  If you want ketchup on your hot dog that's fine as well.
What the heck, people look at me funny when I put salt on my watermelon and apple butter on my scrapple

Putting Salt on fruit is not unusual. Many Mexicans put seasonings containing salt on their fruit regularly. So Do I.
If you're in Tucson, AZ you'll see it everywhere.   
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/mex-grocer_2272_143595540
Scrapple and Apple Butter - Both PA Dutch products. Go together like Bacon & Eggs! 
post edited by Foodbme - 2014/06/14 21:58:49
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1