Mayonnaise is Disgusting

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 13:24:48 (permalink)
Done right, mayo is good.

But I agree with the more seasoned posters. This belongs in the lighter, off topic forum. This is the sandwiches forum and I would probably want to see some good posting on where I can get a good chopped liver sandwich. Or better yet, find someone who still makes liver knishes.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18873
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 13:27:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

Most likely you'd be safe in the following dining places :Asian, Italian, Middle Eastern and Mexican.

As far as mayo brands......I'm with fcbaldwin on the Duke's.

(Wonder if this would be a good thread to reaffirm my Cauliflower distaste.....Shuddup, Grampy)

Years ago I found a great use for cauliflower. I used it to demonstrate the results of a bullet strike on an object. It's not as good as a sealed can of Pepsi for demonstrating the effects of hydrostatic shock to a kid, but it still gets the message across that shooting, while fun and games, is not fun and games.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 13:36:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos

quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Unless you have a recipe for Elephant or Donkey ready to post, I hope you will not add to the political threads on Nov 3rd. CROW recipes will be considered out of order !!

Actually there is this one for elephant donkey salad, but it calls for mayo and beans! Too bad... its great on wry bread.

lol--thanks-i needed that!
cedwin
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 13:48:43 (permalink)
Mosca has some very interesting points-I feel exactly the same way. It feels unseemly to comment on an old, but interesting topic (such as "chili") even if you have lots to say about it, but the majority of the members here are unlikely to read it and offer their insights-sort of "been there, done that".
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 13:51:46 (permalink)
quote:

Folks,
We all have the choice as to -read and enter the discussion-,-read only-, or -ignore and move on- when it comes to topics on this site. Some have great value to us and some may really be quite far from our interests.
I like Mayo...and Salad Dessing but like some 'Catsup' threads, Had I not the responsibility of checking out the posting to see if some subversive terroristic threats were being added, i probably would not have glanced at this thread.
I get the feeling that some of the warm, sharing attitude that I think is the best part of this site, is missing on this thread. I would like to see it return. My suggestion is that I would hope if you have a 'Strong' difference of opinion with a member's post, you make a serious attempt to make a "POLITE" response and continue your disagreement via email. New or 'More Experienced' (my version of the "O" word) it doesn't matter...Courtesy is the word that matters here !
May I please tangent the thread for a moment by asking Bakers Boy, "What IS the most important arrest you ever made while eating a cheeseburger...or a doughnut?"
I make it my solemn goal to discourage any political ranting from the site immediately following the elections...It's bad enough to have us squabbling over beans or no beans, now it's Mayo or Not.
Unless you have a recipe for Elephant or Donkey ready to post, I hope you will not add to the political threads on Nov 3rd. CROW recipes will be considered out of order !!

I have an excellent elephant recipe available, Mr. Mayor. I'd be glad to post it for anyone who might be interested in making it. I'd suggest, though, that a rather large pot is necessary to do this recipe up right. Oh, and you'll need a couple of rabbits to go with the elephant.
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 13:54:01 (permalink)
I think I know where you can go where there is no mayo.
Give ya a hint.
Its real hot.
Its down, not up.
It never freezes over.
The place upstairs I am told serves mayo on the side at every meal.
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 13:57:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Folks,
We all have the choice as to -read and enter the discussion-,-read only-, or -ignore and move on- when it comes to topics on this site. Some have great value to us and some may really be quite far from our interests.
I like Mayo...and Salad Dessing but like some 'Catsup' threads, Had I not the responsibility of checking out the posting to see if some subversive terroristic threats were being added, i probably would not have glanced at this thread.
I get the feeling that some of the warm, sharing attitude that I think is the best part of this site, is missing on this thread. I would like to see it return. My suggestion is that I would hope if you have a 'Strong' difference of opinion with a member's post, you make a serious attempt to make a "POLITE" response and continue your disagreement via email. New or 'More Experienced' (my version of the "O" word) it doesn't matter...Courtesy is the word that matters here !
May I please tangent the thread for a moment by asking Bakers Boy, "What IS the most important arrest you ever made while eating a cheeseburger...or a doughnut?"
I make it my solemn goal to discourage any political ranting from the site immediately following the elections...It's bad enough to have us squabbling over beans or no beans, now it's Mayo or Not.

I have an excellent elephant recipe available, Mr. Mayor. I'd be glad to post it for anyone who might be interested in making it. I'd suggest, though, that a rather large pot is necessary to do this recipe up right. Oh, and you'll need a couple of rabbits to go with the elephant.

I do not think I want that recipe..........I really do not like hare in my pot of elepant
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 14:00:55 (permalink)
I don't care how much my guests or their children love mayonnaise and need it to eat whatever food I am serving. I refuse to put it on the table just because they want it. Oops, wrong post
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 14:04:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cedwin

Mosca has some very interesting points-I feel exactly the same way. It feels unseemly to comment on an old, but interesting topic (such as "chili") even if you have lots to say about it, but the majority of the members here are unlikely to read it and offer their insights-sort of "been there, done that".

I am only on the internet in spurts and sometimes not for days at a time so a lot of times, I don't see a thread at all the first time around. If it comes back with some new comments, it gives me a second chance not to miss it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 14:15:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Folks,

I do not think I want that recipe..........I really do not like hare in my pot of elepant

Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 15:03:31 (permalink)
funny berndog - very funny!
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 15:13:39 (permalink)

Had enough, MAYO-NAZE?
TIPPY LEE
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 16:18:14 (permalink)
Folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!---29 years from now, none of this is going to matter anyhow!....
DinoS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 16:24:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

I'm uncomfortable adding my .02 about chili to a thread that was started 2 years ago; the fact that I've been experimenting with chili for 25 years notwithstanding, I don't feel like my comments are going to be read. You know what I mean. Everyone's already discussed it and left the party, and I've shown up after the lights have been turned off.

Hi Mosca. You probably know that the most recent postings jump to the top of the list on the Roadfood home page. So post away on old topics, they often start up again.

(As an aside to the Mayor or the Sterns, maybe the 'Most Recent Forum Topics' list could be longer? Maybe they could be time stamped to stay up for a day or two?)

Dino
TIPPY LEE
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 16:33:14 (permalink)
As I was saying, 20 years from now, none of this is going to matter!We should all be happy to be in the moment!...Agreeing, disagreeing, refering, bantering, laughing, crying w/ each other!....This is what people that feel, and care about others do!...I am a "newbie", alway's will be, but I feel like I know so many of you people on here!..I like to know what people I "care" about are reading, eating,living, dying, what's going on w/ family, Are you ok?, Is there something I can say to make you feel better, to take your hurt away, How are your pet's, You had another child?, Your Mom/Dad died, is sick? can I do something for you?..Where can I get a good steak at 3 AM in Timbuktu, Ohio? THIS is what I like about this site!!!...It's like family....Find another one like it!..You won't!...Be happy w/ what you have in the moment, because it can all be taken away in a moment!...If you treasure something, or somebody , let them know it, because you never know how long you;ll have it!...Uh, I like this site...LOL!
Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1511
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 16:58:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by berndog

I don't care how much my guests or their children love mayonnaise and need it to eat whatever food I am serving. I refuse to put it on the table just because they want it. Oops, wrong post

I believe, the proper response to this is to call you a "facist pr**k"....
danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 16:58:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Mosca: Speaking for myself, I am sad when good threads disappear and happy when they turn up again with new info. I am always interested in hearing new observations on foods and cooking techniques that we have already discussed. I think others are as well. So, post away!

I concur totally. Don't be shy about posting. I want to see these threads updated. Just because they're two years old doesn't mean new things can't be said.
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 16:59:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BakersBoy

A site devoted exclusively to finding the most memorable local
eateries along the highways and back roads of America.

I pulled this from the top of the web-site. Although I do enjoy some of the repartee, and talk of other things, I believe that we should be talking about the places we find and the recipes that we derive from these places. Plus the ability to spread the news about these places. I really do not care if you like Miracle Whip or mayonnaise. I really do not care if you like this good cookbook or a bad cookbook. I will be able to judge that for myself.

What I want is a cogent discussion of places. I may not get to Seattle or Fresno, but it is nice to know where the good food is just in case I ever get there.

We once took a vacation in Tennessee just moving from one Roadfood place to another. It was great. During that trip I didn't need to know about McDs or Denny's I already knew about them. They were known products.

I guess the point that I make is two-fold:

If you want to talk about chains; and there are indeed some good ones. Then maybe a site should be dedicated to nothing but chains. Then we could rant and rail and also ignore if we are not interested.

The site is here to find the best Roadfood in the country. Why should we not focus on that as oppossed to "What are you Listening Now".

I know that Grampy and I share a love for Cinematic music. But is this the right place to discuss such things?

I am a cop, have been so for 25 years; do you think I would post a site on this board saying, " What's the Most Important Arrest you Made While Eating a Cheeseburger." It speaks for itself.

I like talking to you all. I even miss i95. But folks we have to get back to reason we are here.
Good food in places we might not suspect, in towns where we have never been before and recipies that are unique to a region.

CK, I feel your pain.

BB

Bakers Boy gets it. Chez Katie gets it. This is what I meant by my post. This site is about memorable local eateries found along the roadways. Books, home recipes, etc. are for other websites like the one I suggested. This is about ROADFOOD. It seems to me that the older posters to this site came to this site for that reason-not to talk about food in general. Once again I'll say it, go to egullet and talk about recipes and cookbooks. Read the Sterns' column in Gourmet. Use their books, Roadfood and Eat Your Way Across The USA as guides.
This is what I meant. You either get it or you don't.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 17:46:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos

quote:

Actually there is this one for elephant donkey salad, but it calls for mayo and beans! Too bad... its great on wry bread.

ELEPHANT STEW !!!

A Yummie Recipe for those Really Big Entertaining Occasions!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Secure one large elephant, clean and cut into small cubes. This will take about 2 months. Put in large kettle and simmer over kerosene heat at 465 degrees for 14 weeks. About an hour before serving, add a few bushels of your favorite vegetables, make gravy and cover. This will feed 36,851 people. If more meat is needed, add 2 rabbits, but ONLY IF NECESSARY, since very few people care for hare in their stew.

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 18:11:10 (permalink)
I have been a "sometimes more active than others member" of this community for about 18 months now. I am not sure whether that makes me an old-timer, or a newbie, or somewhere in between, but....if I am a member of any "old boys" club, I am certain my membership card has long since been lost in the mail.

But, I also am increasingly dismayed with the banal subjects brought up here, mayo included. While I don't like mayo, nor many other foods, I don't think this is the appropriate forum to discuss them. I much prefer to come here to find out about regional specialties which I would otherwise not know, and take the sense of community as it comes. To that end, it seemed to me when I logged on one day last week, about 80% of the current topics on the home page were in the "off topic" forums - or should have been.

My advice to all (well, many) of you....

http://www.weaselcircus.com/funnypics/386.shtml
Rex Allen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 18:14:06 (permalink)
I love the recipe for elephant stew, it reminds me of a recipe for polar bear that I sent to a friend of mine that works at Sea World Adventure Park in San Diego.
Rex (Whineingly) in expensive San Diego.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 18:18:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

I have been a "sometimes more active than others member" of this community for about 18 months now. I am not sure whether that makes me an old-timer, or a newbie, or somewhere in between, but....if I am a member of any "old boys" club, I am certain my membership card has long since been lost in the mail.

But, I also am increasingly dismayed with the banal subjects brought up here, mayo included. While I don't like mayo, nor many other foods, I don't think this is the appropriate forum to discuss them. I much prefer to come here to find out about regional specialties which I would otherwise not know, and take the sense of community as it comes. To that end, it seemed to me when I logged on one day last week, about 80% of the current topics on the home page were in the "off topic" forums - or should have been.

Chill Pill..... Hmmm.

No, I think I will just get into my wife's Xanax stash....
Paulie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 18:25:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

It seems to me that the older posters to this site came to this site for that reason-not to talk about food in general. Once again I'll say it, go to egullet and talk about recipes and cookbooks. Read the Sterns' column in Gourmet. Use their books, Roadfood and Eat Your Way Across The USA as guides.

We're now on the seventh page of a thread about whether dinner guests should add salt to their meals. If you go through those seven pages, you'll see that probably 75% of the responses are from contributors with over 300 posts. A certain departed contributor(?) from Michigan left with over 1500 posts and I'd be surprised if 10% of them dealt with Roadfood as we've defined it. How many posts mentioning lutefisk, wearing chaps or other inanities from our "older" contributors have we had? (I realize that number of posts and longevity are not necessarily one and the same but its the best indication we have).

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone in pointing this out. Our "older" members have contributed a wealth of knowledge and insight into our discussions, whatever form they've taken, and have largely made the site what it is. I guess my point is that one doesn't make over a thousand posts without occasionally, or sometimes frequently, straying off into discussions that you are saying belong on egullet, not here. To say that this is a problem of newer posters is unfair and inaccurate.

Or maybe I don't get it.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 18:27:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Had enough, MAYO-NAZE?

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/andy/arrest.wav
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 18:29:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

Chill Pill..... Hmmm.

No, I think I will just get into my wife's Xanax stash....

Whatever puts the creme in your twinkie!

Steve
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/01 18:30:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie

quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

It seems to me that the older posters to this site came to this site for that reason-not to talk about food in general. Once again I'll say it, go to egullet and talk about recipes and cookbooks. Read the Sterns' column in Gourmet. Use their books, Roadfood and Eat Your Way Across The USA as guides.

We're now on the seventh page of a thread about whether dinner guests should add salt to their meals. If you go through those seven pages, you'll see that probably 75% of the responses are from contributors with over 300 posts. A certain departed contributor(?) from Michigan left with over 1500 posts and I'd be surprised if 10% of them dealt with Roadfood as we've defined it. How many posts mentioning lutefisk, wearing chaps or other inanities from our "older" contributors have we had? (I realize that number of posts and longevity are not necessarily one and the same but its the best indication we have).

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone in pointing this out. Our "older" members have contributed a wealth of knowledge and insight into our discussions, whatever form they've taken, and have largely made the site what it is. I guess my point is that one doesn't make over a thousand posts without occasionally, or sometimes frequently, straying off into discussions that you are saying belong on egullet, not here. To say that this is a problem of newer posters is unfair and inaccurate.

Or maybe I don't get it.

Salt thread??? Not here...
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/02 02:52:52 (permalink)

I have been a member since Feb. of this year and throughly LOVE this site. What makes a new member and what makes a "seasoned" member?

Salt and a touch of paprika.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/02 02:56:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Had enough, MAYO-NAZE?

Lou Gossett, Jr. is looking a little pale in those pics.
rwschemquest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/02 03:38:09 (permalink)
I have a severe allergy to mayonnaise (actually, it's the RAW egg in it that is the problem), and I prefer to not take chances of needing a rush trip to the ER, especially when traveling because of some cross contamination. For me, even a trace of the dreaded substance is enough to require emergency care.

I also just plain HATE both mustard AND ketchup (or catsup if you prefer).

I have to take special care when I purchase food in a restaurant to not only make sure none of these substances are part of the dish I order, but also that no cross contamination occurs from utensils, etc.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2320
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting 2004/11/02 06:45:34 (permalink)
You HATE mustard, ketchup, and mayo? Don't spend much time at Burger King, eh?
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1