Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mayonnaise is Disgusting

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 144
DinoS

• Total Posts: 128
RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Tue, 11/23/04 12:47 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rwschemquest

I also don't like my food to touch each other on my plate and have always eaten one item at a time before moving on to the next item.

Golly rwschemquest, I've been reading this thread, and I'm sorry about all your problems, but it sounds as if you better just stay at home and look after yourself.

Unless you're just putting us on.

Dino

hefried

• Total Posts: 367
    RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Tue, 11/23/04 1:51 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TIPPY LEE

As I was saying, 20 years from now, none of this is going to matter!We should all be happy to be in the moment!...Agreeing, disagreeing, refering, bantering, laughing, crying w/ each other!....This is what people that feel, and care about others do!...I am a "newbie", alway's will be, but I feel like I know so many of you people on here!..I like to know what people I "care" about are reading, eating,living, dying, what's going on w/ family, Are you ok?, Is there something I can say to make you feel better, to take your hurt away, How are your pet's, You had another child?, Your Mom/Dad died, is sick? can I do something for you?..Where can I get a good steak at 3 AM in Timbuktu, Ohio? THIS is what I like about this site!!!...It's like family....Find another one like it!..You won't!...Be happy w/ what you have in the moment, because it can all be taken away in a moment!...If you treasure something, or somebody , let them know it, because you never know how long you;ll have it!...Uh, I like this site...LOL!

HEY that's why I like this site too. If you don't like posts on mayo, go to another thread, man... no biggie!

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
      RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Tue, 11/23/04 1:54 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by DinoS

quote:

I also don't like my food to touch each other on my plate and have always eaten one item at a time before moving on to the next item.

Golly rwschemquest, I've been reading this thread, and I'm sorry about all your problems, but it sounds as if you better just stay at home and look after yourself.

Unless you're just putting us on.

Dino

LOL! Doesn't sound like a happy existance..he or she would hate to see what I do with mashed potatoes.. I mix em up with all kinds of stuff including ketchup, mayo, AND hotdogs in one bowl and have a comfort fest..

hefried

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Tue, 11/23/04 2:07 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by CheeseWit

quote:
        Originally posted by BakersBoy

A site devoted exclusively to finding the most memorable local
        eateries along the highways and back roads of America.

I pulled this from the top of the web-site. Although I do enjoy some of the repartee, and talk of other things, I believe that we should be talking about the places we find and the recipes that we derive from these places. Plus the ability to spread the news about these places. I really do not care if you like Miracle Whip or mayonnaise. I really do not care if you like this good cookbook or a bad cookbook. I will be able to judge that for myself.

What I want is a cogent discussion of places. I may not get to Seattle or Fresno, but it is nice to know where the good food is just in case I ever get there.

We once took a vacation in Tennessee just moving from one Roadfood place to another. It was great. During that trip I didn't need to know about McDs or Denny's I already knew about them. They were known products.

I guess the point that I make is two-fold:

If you want to talk about chains; and there are indeed some good ones. Then maybe a site should be dedicated to nothing but chains. Then we could rant and rail and also ignore if we are not interested.

The site is here to find the best Roadfood in the country. Why should we not focus on that as oppossed to "What are you Listening Now".

I know that Grampy and I share a love for Cinematic music. But is this the right place to discuss such things?

I am a cop, have been so for 25 years; do you think I would post a site on this board saying, " What's the Most Important Arrest you Made While Eating a Cheeseburger." It speaks for itself.

I like talking to you all. I even miss i95. But folks we have to get back to reason we are here.
        Good food in places we might not suspect, in towns where we have never been before and recipies that are unique to a region.

CK, I feel your pain.

BB

Bakers Boy gets it. Chez Katie gets it. This is what I meant by my post. This site is about memorable local eateries found along the roadways. Books, home recipes, etc. are for other websites like the one I suggested. This is about ROADFOOD. It seems to me that the older posters to this site came to this site for that reason-not to talk about food in general. Once again I'll say it, go to egullet and talk about recipes and cookbooks. Read the Sterns' column in Gourmet. Use their books, Roadfood and Eat Your Way Across The USA as guides.
        This is what I meant. You either get it or you don't.

WHAT? there is no mayo on ROADFOOD at all or served at roadfood-type joints?? You mean out of ALL of the good places that Jane and Michael and everyone else has tried NO one has had an experience with Mayonaisse? I think the original poster was trying to figure out which roadfood places he can go to with out the fear of mayo...maybe?
        DOESN'T that fit into the whole roadfood scheme of things?
        ps I SO love mayo, i'd eat it by the spoon. oh mayo on french fries! uhhuh the dutch kmow what's up!!!!!

rwschemquest

• Total Posts: 65
          RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Tue, 11/23/04 2:12 PM (permalink)
          There IS much mayo served on RoadFood and fast food, it's just not often called mayo. Mayo is the prime ingredient in many dressing such as Russian and MacDonald's special sauce.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6208
            RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Tue, 11/23/04 8:33 PM (permalink)
            quote:

There IS much mayo served on RoadFood and fast food, it's just not often called mayo. Mayo is the prime ingredient in many dressing such as Russian and MacDonald's special sauce.

I hope you never eat Caesar salad........cuz the dressing is.......KICKED UP MAYO!!! BROUHAHAHAHA!!!!

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
              RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Tue, 11/23/04 9:22 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by lleechef

quote:

I hope you never eat Caesar salad........cuz the dressing is.......KICKED UP MAYO!!! BROUHAHAHAHA!!!!

'Course, there is also Tofu Mayo... (DOUBLE BROUHAHAHAHA!!!! ;)

Serving Size: 1

4 ounces tofu
              1/3 cup olive oil
              2 tablespoons lemon juice
              2 teaspoons dijon mustard
              1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
              salt and pepper -- to taste
              Puree the tofu with 1/4 cup of water, oil, lemon juice and mustard until smooth.
              Add grated lemon rind and season with salt and pepper.
              You can add 4-6 garlic cloves, mashed with 1/2 teaspoon salt, to the mixture to make garlic mayonnaise.
              NOTES : Using silken tofu will make it easier to blend

rwschemquest

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Tue, 11/23/04 9:43 PM (permalink)
                But I hate mustard and can't even look at Tofu.

All I wanted when I started this discussion was to identify road food chains that just don't use mayonaisse -- period!

rwschemquest

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Tue, 11/23/04 9:44 PM (permalink)
                  I don't eat ceaser salad (unless with regular oil/vinegar based italian dressing) because of that and also I can't stand anchovies.

quote:
                  Originally posted by lleechef

quote:

lleechef

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Tue, 11/23/04 11:13 PM (permalink)
                    Well, my friend, and I am NOT trying to be snarky here.....if you can find a restaurant that does not have mayonnaise or mustard in their larder......email me! I'm sorry that you're terribly allergic to the stuff but we do use it for many dishes in the restaurants and it is a staple in our walk-ins!

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                      RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Tue, 11/23/04 11:46 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by TIPPY LEE

As I was saying, 20 years from now, none of this is going to matter!We should all be happy to be in the moment!...Agreeing, disagreeing, refering, bantering, laughing, crying w/ each other!....This is what people that feel, and care about others do!...I am a "newbie", alway's will be, but I feel like I know so many of you people on here!..I like to know what people I "care" about are reading, eating,living, dying, what's going on w/ family, Are you ok?, Is there something I can say to make you feel better, to take your hurt away, How are your pet's, You had another child?, Your Mom/Dad died, is sick? can I do something for you?..Where can I get a good steak at 3 AM in Timbuktu, Ohio? THIS is what I like about this site!!!...It's like family....Find another one like it!..You won't!...Be happy w/ what you have in the moment, because it can all be taken away in a moment!...If you treasure something, or somebody , let them know it, because you never know how long you;ll have it!...Uh, I like this site...LOL!
                      Tippy, that's about how I feel. {Don't tell anyone, though, because then peop;e will think I have a serious bone in my body.) Thanks for summarizing so well.

lleechef

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Wed, 11/24/04 12:12 AM (permalink)
                        Rick, I saw a pic of that CONVERTIBLE PORCHE BOXTER S that you just got and NOBODY on this forum thinks you have even a SERIOUS TENDON in your body!!!! Much less a bone!!!

hefried

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Wed, 11/24/04 12:15 AM (permalink)
                          quote:

oh my gosh! OF COURSE of course of course of course THERE IS. Mayo is salad dressing and herb spread and aioli and even some honey mustard has mayo in it! I was being SARCASTIC bacause all those people were SO UPSET that there WAS a post about how much you hate mayonaisse! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

rwschemquest, just what DO you like to eat?
                          that doesnt come close to mayo or mustard or ketchup
                          or caesar salad
                          or tofu? ( i'm just teasing......)

rwschemquest

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Wed, 11/24/04 5:38 AM (permalink)
                            I have to constantly examine what I eat and ask and probe. For salads, I either have them dry or with a verifiable oil and vinegar based dressing only! I order ALL sandwiches with NO dressings whatsoever.

I was only hoping that there was a sliver of a chance someone here would be aware of a mayo free restaurant chain. I know they have meat free restaurants for people who don't or won't eat meat. I know they have so-called "natural" restaurants for people who don't think things produced by a naturally occurring species such as "man" qualify as "natural". Perhaps is was just wishful thinking on may part that someone is offering such a specialty place to meet my particular needs.

rwschemquest, just what DO you like to eat?
                            that doesnt come close to mayo or mustard or ketchup
                            or caesar salad
                            or tofu? ( i'm just teasing......)

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                              RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sat, 12/4/04 2:38 AM (permalink)
                              I'm almost as manic about sour cream and Ranch. I detest the stuff, and will use up quite a number of napkins wiping every molecule off of anything they touch that I plan on eating. I suppose I could send the plate back, but I don't want to push my luck with other unappetizing items appearing.

Lunza

• Total Posts: 59
                                RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sat, 12/4/04 5:38 AM (permalink)
                                Things have a way of deviating from the original stated purpose and becoming more robust in the process. It's called "evolution."

But then there's the way the Brits deviated from the preconceived notion of the classic PB&J and make it into PB&M. That's right. Peanut butter and mayonnaise. Acquaintance of mine swears up and down he was served a PB&M with about a quarter inch of mayo atop it. That's called "devolution."

Kinda like those canned smileys some people overuse.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                  RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sat, 12/4/04 10:28 AM (permalink)
                                  rmschemquest----not to be snarky or anything--but what DO you eat?--and isnt it possible to explain it to the resteraunt staff and see what they can do for you--you may run into a bunch that are no help--but im sure youll find that there are folks in the business that will accomadate just about anyone---ie--see the "Cereality" forum!!! I know that i cooked for a long time and had LOTS of special requests--most of which i was glad to accomidate---of course there are times --like strict kosher-when i couldnt help out unless i bought new plates and cookware for that one meal! I know that when ever i had a special order due to someones allergy or religious needs it was no problem---then of course there were always folks who were just,well---too damn picky! ---like folks that actually wanted us to make another batch of lasagna because they didnt like garlic-----dont like garlic?---DONT EAT ITALIAN!!!!

i know i have a great freind---and martial art teacher that eats only raw food and NO processed foods---he has found that about 1/2 the places he goes can accomadate him-if he talk with the folks first----But i dont think youll find too many places that nDONT have mayo in the kitchen!--not in this country anyway! Good luck.

hefried

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sat, 12/4/04 10:51 AM (permalink)
                                    i eat pb&m , it's good. my dad ate it when i was a kid.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                                      • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
                                      RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 12/5/04 1:29 AM (permalink)
                                      To rwschemquest,

I can see where this is a problem for you, obviously a BIG problem, but I think you started off on the wrong foot when you made your original post -- you seemed so extremely irate that there WAS no such a place that didn't have mayonnaise in any way, shape, or form, when, in actuality, this is the very FIRST time for me, and probably all the rest of us, that anyone has EVER even questioned the existence of mayonnaise as anything but a constant in every restaurant, pretty much anywhere.

My sympathy for your problem, however. And good luck on your quest. I think it may be a long long time before you find what you're looking for.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                        RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sat, 12/11/04 12:14 PM (permalink)
                                        Honestly, Life's too short!

Sundancer7

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sat, 12/11/04 12:59 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

Where can one go where I don't need to worry about mayonnaise, the world's most disgusting substance? Just asking for "no mayo" seldom works because the knives, counters, fingers (or gloves) are contaminated with this horrid substance.

Why can't some restaurant chain introduce a "mayo-free" zone where I do not have to live with the constant fear there is mayo-contamination. The sub shops seem to be the worst because they never clean the knives off and the counter is always contaminated with this gross substance or even worse --- tuna! How can anyone eat this putrid material that isn't even suited as cat food???

Please, someone help????

Sundancer7

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sat, 12/11/04 1:02 PM (permalink)
                                            Why does it really matter? Ever thing is a matter of taste. There is chocolate and vanilla. It all depends on what you prefer.

Just because you do not like mayo does not mean that you should impose your wishes on others.

I do not personally care where you like mayo, ketchup, mustard or sugar. All things are a matter of taste.

Paul E. Smith
                                            Knoxville, TN

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                              RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sat, 12/11/04 1:09 PM (permalink)
                                              Yeah, what he said!!

BakersBoy

• Total Posts: 302
                                                RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sat, 12/11/04 3:36 PM (permalink)
                                                When I was Boy Scout (yeah I was), I went to camp with a guy who was allergic to everything. He might as well have had a Benadryl drip. But he did't. He tried to take things in perspective. One of the foods he loved was peanut butter. He would take spoonfuls of the stuff when his parents weren't watching, just to get the taste of the peanut butter. It would make him sick but he was happy. I asked him one day why he would put himself through this if he knew he was going to be sick. He told me that he knew what the consquences were but that "Sometimes you just have to eat the peanut butter."

Sometimes you do.

BB

rwschemquest

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sat, 12/11/04 3:49 PM (permalink)
                                                  For me it's much more than a question of getting "sick" -- it's a matter of life or death. If I were to ingest even the tiniest amount of mayonnaise (it's the RAW egg albumin), if I were to not receive an injection of epinephrine within minutes, I would suffocate from my windpipe swelling closed.

I started this discussion to see if I could identify a chain of any type restaurant that purposely avoided anything with mayo or other raw egg products in their menu. It is particularly difficult to travel because the typical minimum wage worker in a lot of restaurants and "roadfood" type establishments have no clue what it actually in the concoctions they use on their food products.

quote:
                                                  Originally posted by BakersBoy

When I was Boy Scout (yeah I was), I went to camp with a guy who was allergic to everything. He might as well have had a Benadryl drip. But he did't. He tried to take things in perspective. One of the foods he loved was peanut butter. He would take spoonfuls of the stuff when his parents weren't watching, just to get the taste of the peanut butter. It would make him sick but he was happy. I asked him one day why he would put himself through this if he knew he was going to be sick. He told me that he knew what the consquences were but that "Sometimes you just have to eat the peanut butter."

Sometimes you do.

BB

hefried

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 12/12/04 3:58 PM (permalink)
                                                    rwschemquest, i'm sorry but i don't think the kind of restaurant you're after commonly exists.
                                                    eggs , egg products etc... are uber common they're everywhere , in everything. GOSH, it must be tough for you!. hey....You could try a vegan restaurant. they might have SOY mayonaise, and if you only HATE mayo because you're so allergic to it, you might actually like the vegan kind???? good luck to you

rwschemquest

• Location: Ballston Lake, NY
                                                      RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 12/12/04 5:27 PM (permalink)
                                                      The problem isn't just with egg products -- it'w with RAW egg products (raw eggs are a major ingredient in mayonnaise). I can easily tolerate any COOKED egg products so breads, etc. are not a problem.

quote:
                                                      Originally posted by hefried

rwschemquest, i'm sorry but i don't think the kind of restaurant you're after commonly exists.
                                                      eggs , egg products etc... are uber common they're everywhere , in everything. GOSH, it must be tough for you!. hey....You could try a vegan restaurant. they might have SOY mayonaise, and if you only HATE mayo because you're so allergic to it, you might actually like the vegan kind???? good luck to you

Sundancer7

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 12/12/04 6:00 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:

The problem isn't just with egg products -- it'w with RAW egg products (raw eggs are a major ingredient in mayonnaise). I can easily tolerate any COOKED egg products so breads, etc. are not a problem.

quote:
                                                        Originally posted by hefried

Are you for sure what you are talking about. I contacted Kraft and they think you are nuts. They indicated that they do not use anything that will cause any problems. If you have evidence of what you are talking about, they wish to know. please advise.

Paul E. Smith
                                                        Knoxville, TN

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1084
                                                          • Location: Edgewater Park, NJ
                                                          RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 12/13/04 11:33 AM (permalink)
                                                          Try this link http://www.vegohio.com and since you live in the area of Columbus, see what listings come up (I don't know how up to date the site is, though), and call one of the places and talk to them and tell them. They won't think you're nuts for looking for a mayo-free place, or mayo without the eggs. You can be sure they'd use soy or tofu mayo at these restaurants. Now I don't know about them being either roadfood or a chain, but hey, give it a try and see if you get any satisfaction! Or you could, if you have not already, post on a vegetarian board or forum and ask the same question. It's worth the effort. Answers you're looking for just might not come easily and you might have to investigate more. But the internet can open many doors for people with "odd" requests.

rwschemquest

• Location: Ballston Lake, NY
                                                            RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Tue, 12/14/04 5:57 AM (permalink)
                                                            I don't think I could stomach even looking at vegan food. I am sort of a "meatatarian". Even the thought of dining in the company of those PETA people is enough to turn one's stomach anyway.

I am just looking and hoping that there would be a chain where one could safely get a sandwich without the worry of mayonnaise being incorporated into the food even by accident. Guess no such chain exists. Over my 50 plus years I have found ways to avoid it, but it would be nice to stumble on such a place since I travel 80% of the time. The option of "egg free" mayonnaise is not pleasant thought as I also just plain don't like the look of the stuff and anything I eat must first pass both the visibility test and the smell test. Nothing enters the mouth that doesn't first pass these two critical tests (hence, nothing containing hard boiled eggs or canned tuna could ever possibly enter the digestive system since the aroma alarm would sound and prevent that occurance).

Thank you all -- I have given up my search for such a chain and will continue to excercise due diligence in my travels.

quote:
                                                            Originally posted by shaynas_mom

Try this link http://www.vegohio.com and since you live in the area of Columbus, see what listings come up (I don't know how up to date the site is, though), and call one of the places and talk to them and tell them. They won't think you're nuts for looking for a mayo-free place, or mayo without the eggs. You can be sure they'd use soy or tofu mayo at these restaurants. Now I don't know about them being either roadfood or a chain, but hey, give it a try and see if you get any satisfaction! Or you could, if you have not already, post on a vegetarian board or forum and ask the same question. It's worth the effort. Answers you're looking for just might not come easily and you might have to investigate more. But the internet can open many doors for people with "odd" requests.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 144

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com