Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mayonnaise is Disgusting

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 144
rwschemquest

• Total Posts: 65
Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 3:29 PM (permalink)
Where can one go where I don't need to worry about mayonnaise, the world's most disgusting substance? Just asking for "no mayo" seldom works because the knives, counters, fingers (or gloves) are contaminated with this horrid substance.

Why can't some restaurant chain introduce a "mayo-free" zone where I do not have to live with the constant fear there is mayo-contamination. The sub shops seem to be the worst because they never clean the knives off and the counter is always contaminated with this gross substance or even worse --- tuna! How can anyone eat this putrid material that isn't even suited as cat food???

Please, someone help????

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
    RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 3:42 PM (permalink)
    You are either joking about the extent of your distaste, or you have a genuine phobia which requires some professional help. It is one thing to dislike a particular food, it is another to be that worried about "contamination"..

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
      RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 4:10 PM (permalink)
      I.m just guessing here, but I can't help thinking you might not care much for mayonnaise.

Donna Douglass

• Total Posts: 508
        RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 4:18 PM (permalink)
        That is so funny, Michael. And I had thought people were passionate about salt!!!

Donna

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
          RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 4:58 PM (permalink)
          Hmmmmmmm, me thinking he might have had a mayo OD at some point and can't think about it now.

Dennis in Cary

jm3amdg

• Total Posts: 26
            RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 5:12 PM (permalink)
            Won't a kosher restaurant/deli qualify?

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
              RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 6:20 PM (permalink)
              Well, it mayo maynot.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 6:26 PM (permalink)
                Mayo is disgusting...SHUT UP! Why can't anyone post anything having to do with roadfood anymore. Go post that stuff on egullet. Please re-read the purpose and idea behind this site. It seems like the "newer" posters to this site have lost sight of what this site is all about. Go back and check the thread topics that were posted by the "older" posters. You'll see that they are more topical and a whole lot more informative than the latest crop of threads authored by the newer posters.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                  RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 6:34 PM (permalink)
                  Sounds like a troll to me....

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                    RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 8:43 PM (permalink)
                    Mayonnaise, the other white catsup!

carl reitz

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                      RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 8:53 PM (permalink)
                      Dearfolk,
                      Nobody mentioned that beloved-of-Des-Moinesians, Mrs. Clark's Salad Dressing. "Ya can't make decent pea salad without it," says an expatriate.
                      Mayonnaisically, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
                        RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 9:00 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by CheeseWit

Mayo is disgusting...SHUT UP! Why can't anyone post anything having to do with roadfood anymore. Go post that stuff on egullet. Please re-read the purpose and idea behind this site. It seems like the "newer" posters to this site have lost sight of what this site is all about. Go back and check the thread topics that were posted by the "older" posters. You'll see that they are more topical and a whole lot more informative than the latest crop of threads authored by the newer posters.

Uh, Mr. Mayor or Michael & Jane, I didn't know us newer members couldn't ask questions like the one I replied to on this thread? I became a contributer (sp? ) to this site after being referred here. I have been a member since Feb. of this year and throughly LOVE this site. What makes a new member and what makes a "seasoned" member?

I know from what I have read up here that there have been many threads started that were way off base versus what most people up here are looking to read about. If this person doesn't like mayo, shame on them, I love it. But to say that they are more informative than the older posters is a slap in the face to us "newer" members. I'm hoping this is a one time thing and they were having a bad day ( ) and all. I would hope to know if they felt that way about some of the things I had posted up here.

On a side not, I was waiting to see my docotr Friday to find out if I may have epilepsy and found an article about Jane being an EMT. I would have never given the article a second though if not for seeing her name and picture up here. BTW, it was Reader's Digest 2/04.

Thanks, and if I pissed off anyone with my questions, SORRY.

Dennis in Cary

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                          RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 10:34 PM (permalink)
                          CheesWit, why don't you go complain about all of the political talk going under the Eyyyyyyyyyyyh can do it bettah.... heading? Oh, I see, the regulars are there, wouldn't want to upset them. At least this post of food related. I believe this is an "old boys club" if you don't exactly fit the mold you get raked over the coals. I usually really enjoy this site. Just this weekend I made stew by combining the directions of Grampy, Bushi, Tiki, lleechef and others. The hoisin sauce was really interesting, I think I'll use it in other things.

I'm interested in food of all kinds, weather I like them or not. I want to hear what people like and hate. I want to see pictures of what you cooked this weekend and who you cooked it with. I want to know about your dog, your house, your good luck and bad. Tell me what you like to drink and how much. What was the last good book you read or concert you saw? In my mind this site should be about people who enjoy things. It's been my experience that people who have a huge appreciation for food, are generally interesting people in other areas as well. I welcome it all.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
                            RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Sun, 10/31/04 11:51 PM (permalink)
                            On the subject of mayonnaise, I will defer to the venerable episode on Fawlty Towers where John Cleese describes the fine art of serving the jarred stuff (which they call salad dressing) onto a plate. PLOP! It really has nothing to do with the real, egg-yolk-filled, fresh variety. The best packaged mayonnaise I have had is from Japan -- don't laugh, Kewpie brand. It is $6.00 a bottle. You can also get some German and French imports. Otherwise, short of making it yourself, there is no substitute, and the white stuff in jars has about as much resemblance to real mayonnaise (not Real with a trademark sign attached) as a cardboard can of grated cue-ball parmesan does to a block of Parmigiano-Reggiano. You may like it (or hate it), but it's something else again. Any place that makes its own fresh salsa, BBQ sauce, ketchup, mayo, or anything else shows a pride in home cooking, and that is okay with me. Back to the salt mines I go.

Theedge: How was the stew?

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                              RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 2:29 AM (permalink)
                              For the love of all that's holy, just don't suggest putting it on a steak or a pizza!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
                                RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 6:23 AM (permalink)
                                Don't put mayonnaise on apizza? What would you use instead? Mozzarella?

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                                  RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                  Grampy the stew was excellent. I can't tell you what cut I used as the butcher had it cut up all ready. I dredged it in flour and browned it in some peanut oil, I like peanut oil as it doesn't smoke at high temps. I moved the meat to my pressure cooker along with some beef broth and cooked it for 20 minutes. I opened the cooker and added potatoes, carrots, onions, peas, tomato paste, hoisin, salt, pepper and a bit of cognac. Only ten minutes later I was dishing up.

Mayonnaise on pizza? Oh no, I'm a pizza purist

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
                                    RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by CheeseWit

Sounds like someone dropped a lump of coal in your trick or treat bag!
                                    Since I'm approaching my 500th posting, I'm probably one of the "older" posters, and I have an aversion to cucumbers which sounds very much on the same level as rwschemquest's mayo hate. But you guys have already heard about everything I have to contribute, and I am now much more of a user than a contributor. I STRONGLY welcome what the new posters have to say, and find that I am more likely to learn from them.
                                    BUT I am a heavy user of mayo, and rwschemquest and I obviously have different tastes. I note (his or her) posting on the Bonefish Grill thred said something about "at least it (the seafood) wasn't the breaded and fried crap...", while I am a major fan of breaded and fried seafood the way it is prepared in the South, especially in the Carolinas, Alabama and Mississippi.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
                                      RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 10:52 AM (permalink)
                                      Yes, rwschemquest, there is mayonaise.

It exists as certainly as salt and pepper and ketchup exist, and you know that they abound and give to your meals its highest taste and joy.

Alas! how dreary would be the world if there was no mayonaise! It would be as dreary as if there were no rwschemquest's. There would be no BLT's, no potato salad, no casseroles to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The condiments with which fills our kitchens would be extinguished.

Not believe in mayonaise? You might as well not believe in mustard.

BakersBoy

• Total Posts: 302
                                        RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 10:56 AM (permalink)
                                        A site devoted exclusively to finding the most memorable local
                                        eateries along the highways and back roads of America.

I pulled this from the top of the web-site. Although I do enjoy some of the repartee, and talk of other things, I believe that we should be talking about the places we find and the recipes that we derive from these places. Plus the ability to spread the news about these places. I really do not care if you like Miracle Whip or mayonnaise. I really do not care if you like this good cookbook or a bad cookbook. I will be able to judge that for myself.

What I want is a cogent discussion of places. I may not get to Seattle or Fresno, but it is nice to know where the good food is just in case I ever get there.

We once took a vacation in Tennessee just moving from one Roadfood place to another. It was great. During that trip I didn't need to know about McDs or Denny's I already knew about them. They were known products.

I guess the point that I make is two-fold:

If you want to talk about chains; and there are indeed some good ones. Then maybe a site should be dedicated to nothing but chains. Then we could rant and rail and also ignore if we are not interested.

The site is here to find the best Roadfood in the country. Why should we not focus on that as oppossed to "What are you Listening Now".

I know that Grampy and I share a love for Cinematic music. But is this the right place to discuss such things?

I am a cop, have been so for 25 years; do you think I would post a site on this board saying, " What's the Most Important Arrest you Made While Eating a Cheeseburger." It speaks for itself.

I like talking to you all. I even miss i95. But folks we have to get back to reason we are here.
                                        Good food in places we might not suspect, in towns where we have never been before and recipies that are unique to a region.

CK, I feel your pain.

BB

cedwin

• Total Posts: 63
                                          RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 11:00 AM (permalink)
                                          As a newer member, I also take umbrage with the comments made by one of Roadfoods more "seasoned" members, and by the way, appreciate Hillbilly's perspective that fresh ideas from new members add robustness to the site. I also agree that there seems to be quite a bit of diverting topics, but I simply choose to ignore them, and I don't believe that the experienced "core" members are entirely exempt from participating in them. What I have noticed, however, is that many of the more experienced members exhibit a bit of cronyism-it seems sometimes like a bit of a private club here. That is to be expected and is not a bad thing, but I for one am somewhat inhibited about offering some fresh perspectives. My very first posting on this site was in response to an extremely experienced member from Tennessee who was looking for some advice about Minnesota. I've lived in Minnesota most of my life and know alot about my home state, the food here, and roadfood subjects in general. I offered some advice and the response seemed rather peremptory and a bit rude. I still love this site for what I can learn about it, but I'm extremely leery about offering fresh ideas.

My two cents worth, for whatever it's worth...

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                                            • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 11:57 AM (permalink)
                                            Folks,
                                            We all have the choice as to -read and enter the discussion-,-read only-, or -ignore and move on- when it comes to topics on this site. Some have great value to us and some may really be quite far from our interests.
                                            I like Mayo...and Salad Dessing but like some 'Catsup' threads, Had I not the responsibility of checking out the posting to see if some subversive terroristic threats were being added, i probably would not have glanced at this thread.
                                            I get the feeling that some of the warm, sharing attitude that I think is the best part of this site, is missing on this thread. I would like to see it return. My suggestion is that I would hope if you have a 'Strong' difference of opinion with a member's post, you make a serious attempt to make a "POLITE" response and continue your disagreement via email. New or 'More Experienced' (my version of the "O" word) it doesn't matter...Courtesy is the word that matters here !
                                            May I please tangent the thread for a moment by asking Bakers Boy, "What IS the most important arrest you ever made while eating a cheeseburger...or a doughnut?"
                                            I make it my solemn goal to discourage any political ranting from the site immediately following the elections...It's bad enough to have us squabbling over beans or no beans, now it's Mayo or Not.
                                            Unless you have a recipe for Elephant or Donkey ready to post, I hope you will not add to the political threads on Nov 3rd. CROW recipes will be considered out of order !!

Grampy

RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 12:09 PM (permalink)
                                              "Rainy Days And Mondays" Based on the performance by The Carpenters
                                              "Mayonnaise On Sundaes" Parody by Alvin Rhodes

thinking to myself, want something cold
                                              ice cream would seem to fit
                                              with some fudge and nuts on it
                                              waiter comes 'round
                                              served with a big white mound
                                              mayonnaise on sundaes always gets me down

what i've got does nothing to enthuse
                                              nothing could be more wrong
                                              salad dressing don't belong
                                              choking it down
                                              waiter must be a clown

runny, and its seems so oily
                                              what am i to do ?
                                              its vile, i know...it really bugs me
                                              crummy on ice cream
                                              but, hell, i guess that it will do
                                              although the combo just disgusts me

tastes like nothing i have ate before
                                              no use to toss it out
                                              i just bite my lip and pout
                                              swirl it around
                                              see if i can gag it down

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
                                                RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 12:16 PM (permalink)

Ingredients: Soybean oil, eggs, water, vinegar, salt, oleoresin paprika, and natural flavors.

Duke's Mayonnaise is made from Mrs. Duke's original recipe. This recipe has always been completely sugar-free. It is all-natural, preservative-free, gluten-free*, casein-free (no milk proteins), and Kosher (Orthodox Union).

(This is from http://www.dukesmayo.com )

One of the better (best?) store-bought mayos, in my opinion.

Frank

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
                                                  RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 12:31 PM (permalink)
                                                  As one of the "core" members (sheesh, only Sundancer and Mr. Mayor are ahead of me) I would like to say a few things about this forum.

1. Our real quest is to find the Roadfood Grail. Sometimes we stray away from this topic. But we are all passionate about BBQ, crabs, hot dogs, and other such Roadfood delicacies.

2. If the "core" members seem a bit clubby it's because we've eaten together, met each other, talked on the phone, emailed a zillion times, travelled together. We do not mean to offend any newcomers by our "inside comments". Stick around, you'll meet lots of good people, have good conversation, get good recipes and have a few laughs.

3. I personally have been know to smoosh tuna AND mayonnaise in the same bowl and eat it.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
                                                    • Location: Mountain Top, PA
                                                    RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 12:34 PM (permalink)
                                                    It can be a little bit of a closed community, sure. But that's the case everywhere. I've had my share of bumpiness fitting in (right, Mayor?), but in the end it's worth it to me. It takes a little effort. It's strange to be a respected senior member of one group, and get put down as a noob in another, but I'll get over it.

The oddest thing I find about this forum is how I'll see a thread about a subject I'm interested in, but it's 2 or 3 years old. That's not healthy; it's indicative of a forum with a small base membership that has already discussed what it wants to and with new people dipping in, making comments, and leaving never to return. For example, I'm uncomfortable adding my .02 about chili to a thread that was started 2 years ago; the fact that I've been experimenting with chili for 25 years notwithstanding, I don't feel like my comments are going to be read. You know what I mean. Everyone's already discussed it and left the party, and I've shown up after the lights have been turned off.

Anyhow, all that being said, there's no reason to discuss why this person feels compelled to share their dislike for mayonnaise. If I knew people here a little bit better, I'd guess that it's an alias acting as a troll. And as we all know, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

Tom

Grampy

• Location: Greenfield, MA
                                                      RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 12:42 PM (permalink)
                                                      Mosca: Speaking for myself, I am sad when good threads disappear and happy when they turn up again with new info. I am always interested in hearing new observations on foods and cooking techniques that we have already discussed. I think others are as well. So, post away!

Acuff-12

• Total Posts: 82
                                                        • Location: Gaithersburg, MD
                                                        RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 1:01 PM (permalink)
                                                        I don't like Mayo either. When I was down south, I hated when they would put mayo on and "Italian "Sub, or "Cheesesteak" I stuck with Barbque when down there.
                                                        Up in Jersey they give you a funny look if you order an Italian sub without Mayo. "Why would one put mayo on that?" I wonder the same thing.
                                                        Matt
                                                        Member of "I hate mayionase" Club.

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
                                                          • Location: Morgantown, WV
                                                          RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 1:04 PM (permalink)
                                                          Most likely you'd be safe in the following dining places :Asian, Italian, Middle Eastern and Mexican.

As far as mayo brands......I'm with fcbaldwin on the Duke's.

(Wonder if this would be a good thread to reaffirm my Cauliflower distaste.....Shuddup, Grampy)

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                                            • Location: Syracuse, NY
                                                            RE: Mayonnaise is Disgusting Mon, 11/1/04 1:13 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Unless you have a recipe for Elephant or Donkey ready to post, I hope you will not add to the political threads on Nov 3rd. CROW recipes will be considered out of order !!

Actually there is this one for elephant donkey salad, but it calls for mayo and beans! Too bad... its great on wry bread.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 144

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com