McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore

Author
Freiberger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2003/12/12 14:09:53 (permalink)

McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore

The best burgers I ever ate were at McClusky's Steak House on Sunrise Highway in Bellmore. It was right across the street from the Bellmore train station. Those burgers were so good and the fries were fantastic. I once made the mistake of asking why the fries were so good and was told that they were fried in pure animal fat. My arteries are clogging just thinking about it.

Sadly, McClusky's is no longer there. It was replaced by Applebee's. Time marches on.

Where are the other Merrick/Bellmore food lovers? I wrote a long message on the Dog House in Merrick thread, but the rest of the messages may be so old that no one checks back in with it.

Bill

17 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7738
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/12 14:29:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Freiberger
    Sadly, McClusky's is no longer there. It was replaced by Applebee's. Time marches on.

Where are the other Merrick/Bellmore food lovers? I wrote a long message on the Dog House in Merrick thread, but the rest of the messages may be so old that no one checks back in with it.

Bill

It doesn't surprise me that McCluskey's was replaced by Applebees. I've been trying to convince the others on this board that all the old mom n pop places will eventually be replaced by chains, yet no one believes me.

I am one of the Merrick Bellmore people who are still active on this board. Flower Cat is another, although I haven't seen her in awhile. AndyNYC is from Seaford and he also pops up from time to time.
    Freiberger
    Junior Burger
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/13 18:01:34 (permalink)
    Another great place to eat in Merrick is the MaryBill Diner at the Merrick train station. The Ellie's Omlete is my favorite. I believe they've been there since the 40s. I shot my NYU student film there in 1981 when it was a real train car style diner. Shortly thereafter they remodeled the place but the food is still great.

Bill
    flowercat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/14 18:55:59 (permalink)
    McCluskey's bar burgers couldn't be beat and their steaks were pretty good too. Sorry for not checking back

I never ate much in MaryBill but more at Merrick Townhouse or EastBay Diner.

BTW - Bill, do you still post on any of the Kennedy forums? I left long ago, as I couldn't take the fighting and b/s which you will not find here.
    Freiberger
    Junior Burger
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/14 19:32:12 (permalink)
    I rarely check in on the Kennedy forum anymore. Although I do subscribe to Merrick Life am still very interested in "my ancestral homeland" I find I'm not very interested in the forum.

Bill
    flowercat
    Junior Burger
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/14 21:32:38 (permalink)
    I agree. My parents are in South Florida and still receive Merrick Life and I did have contact with someone up there until around six months ago, so I'm semi-current.

Was the bar that you were talking about near Busy Bee Cleaners?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/15 08:39:13 (permalink)
    Never been to the Marybill Diner. Strange considering I spent the first 20 years of my life in Merrick. I mostly went to the East Bay Diner in Bellmore, and maybe went to the Merrick Townhouse Diner a handful of times.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/15 08:41:17 (permalink)
    Another place I remember way, way back from my youth was the Charcoal Chef on Sunrise Highway in Merrick. The place was gone by the time I was 6 or 7. My mother used to take my two older brothers and I there for a burger, french fries and chocolate shake! Can't believe I remember this from over 30 years ago!
    Freiberger
    Junior Burger
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/15 13:25:44 (permalink)
    I think the 18th Century Lounge was between KFC and busy bee cleaners. Even as a kid I remember thinking it didn't fit in with the rest of the stores on Merrick Road in that area. Even when I was of drinking age I didn't go in there. It always seemed like and old school, hard drinking bar. But it was there for a long, long time. I guess someone was going there to drink in the afternoons.

As opposed to The Buck Board INN on Sunrise highway in Baldwin. That place used to let us drink when we were 16 years old. I wasn't even old enough to drive but I could buy a beer at The Buckboard. No one in the place was over 18.

Bill

Freiberger
    Junior Burger
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/15 13:32:45 (permalink)
    The MaryBill was a real commuter diner. It was only open for breakfast and lunch. I think that's why a lot of kids who grew up in Merrick never ate there. In fact, I never at there till I was in college. After they opened up after hours so I could shoot my NYU student film inside the diner I started eating there.

Bill
    Freiberger
    Junior Burger
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/15 13:37:48 (permalink)
    Flowercat,

Do I know you from the Kennedy forums? I don't recognize the screen name.

Bill

PS: Flowercat and Wanderring Jew, how old are you guys? I'm 41. I graduated JFK in 1980. It's amazing how a few years difference in age will effect what stores or situation one remembers. For example, I have no memory at all of Charcoal Chef. But I do remember when McDonald's was known as Wetson's.

Bill
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/15 14:32:07 (permalink)
    Hey Bill, I'm 38 and so I do't see a reason why you can't remember the Charcoal Chef, they were around at least through the early 1970's, it was on Sunrise Highway at the intersection of Merrick Avenue. I don't remember McDonalds being a Wetson's. As far as I can remember it was always a McDonalds.

I don't remember the 18th Century Lounge at all. I wonder if that's where Courtney's Cafe is now. They've been around a while, at least since I was in High School.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/15 15:13:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AndyNYC1

Anyone remember Scheppy's? Is it still there?

Hey Andy,

"Schleppy's" is still around, it's changed locations. It's now on Merrick Road and Beach Drive. Can't imagine the old guy still being alive. He must have been about 150 when I worked as a busboy for him 22 years ago!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/18 07:38:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AndyNYC1

Just west of Sheppy's was the Ice Cream Barrel. Excellent home made ice cream. Remember it? How about Geno's pizza across Merrick Road from the Ice Cream Barrel? My dad owned that Getty gas station next to Geno's in the 1970's. Geno's was like a second home to me.

The ice cream barrel is long gone. I don't remember Geno's. There is a Joey's Pizza in that area. They've been around ever since I can remember, and the last time I was back on the Island last month, they were still there!
    Freiberger
    Junior Burger
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/18 13:45:06 (permalink)
    Andy,

Was your dad Hank? I seem to remember going to that Getty station with my dad and the owner being named Hank.

Bill
    flowercat
    Junior Burger
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/19 13:47:27 (permalink)
    Bill!

My handle was my full name on the JFK forums and I'd rather not revisit that nonsense.

~~~I don't remember that McDonalds was ever a Wetson's but that there were two Wetson's that I remember, one at the Freeport train station (that later became a Dunkin Donuts) and on on Sunrise Hwy in RVC.

~~~ RVC brings Jahn's Ice Cream Parlour to mind!

~~~ My best friend's mother worked in Bethpage (where they had lived before moving to Merrick) and would bring home Zorn's every Friday evening. It was the best and had great sides also.

(My mother would bring home Eng's after going to the beauty parlour and in later years after she changed beauty parlours would bring home Wolfie's)

~~~ I don't remember the Charcoal Chef but must've gone there a few times. Courtney's doesn't ring a bell at all.

~~~ I was never a fan of Sheppy's.

~~~ Anyone else remember the Sunrise Village?

Andy!

Was your dad's service station on the same (North) side of the street as the Gables Movie Theatre (Yes, I know that it's long gone). If so, my Dodge Challenger was stolen from there ..
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2003/12/19 13:59:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by flowercat

Courtney's doesn't ring a bell at all.

Courtney's is still there, across the street from Mc Donald's.
    DIG IN
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: McClusky's Steak House in Bellmore 2006/08/09 21:23:51 (permalink)
    Hi...Do you remember a donut place on Sunrise Hwy.in Bellmore in the 60's? Dunkin Donuts? I remember my Dad and I going there after church on Sundays when I was a kid. My friends from Bellmore do not recall such a place. Am I loosing it?

The best burgers I ever ate were at McClusky's Steak House on Sunrise Highway in Bellmore. It was right across the street from the Bellmore train station. Those burgers were so good and the fries were fantastic. I once made the mistake of asking why the fries were so good and was told that they were fried in pure animal fat. My arteries are clogging just thinking about it.

Bill
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1