McDonald's Breakfast Burrito

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
yumbo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
2003/08/04 16:07:56 (permalink)

McDonald's Breakfast Burrito

OK. Confession time. Anyone else here have a weakness for McDonald's Breakfast Burrito? I swore a couple of years ago that I'd never eat them again, and then I had one on our way to Milwaukee and

I ...

just ...

can't ...

stop ...

40 Replies Related Threads

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/04 16:26:27 (permalink)
    Here you go Yumbo - I remembered seeing this after reading your post. I have never had one, too many taquerias around here!

Title: MCDONALD'S BREAKFAST BURRITOS
    Categories: Snacks, Cheese/eggs, Meats, Breakfast, Copycats
    Yield: 6 Servings

WALDINE VAN GEFFEN
    VGHC42A-----
    1/2 lb Jimmy Dear spicy Sausage --
    Patties -- brown, crum
    2 Eggs; scramble -- break up
    Pcs
    1 md Tomato -- sm dice
    6 Soft flour tortillas --
    Steam
    6 tb Cheese Whiz -- melt in
    Micro

Combine sausage, eggs and tomatoes. Place about 1/6
    mixture into center of each tortilla. Top each mound
    of the mixture with 1 tb of the melted cheese. Fold
    bottom third of tortilla up over the filling and then
    bring right side of the tortilla toward the left,
    folding over filling. Fold left side of tortilla to
    the right, leaving the top end open. Wrapin eaxed
    paper and refrigerate up to 4 hours. Micro each 1
    briefly just to warm and serve promptly with picante
    sauce on the side. Do not freeze. Source: Gloria
    Pitzer.

-----
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/04 17:20:20 (permalink)
    We all are entitled to our personal opinions, but it amazes me when some are so critical of others because of their personal opinions. I am not necessarily a fan of McDonald's, but I do understand why some appreciate and like some of their products.

I disagree that their products are pure poison. I would like to hear what the true definition of poison is??? Perhaps some of their products have a higher fat content that what some would like, but in the same context some posters consume food that is equally high in fat. I do not recall that this forum is dedicated to a vegetarian, low fat, no fat or health food structure.

As far as labor practices with McDonalds is concerned, I worked there before I started college. Granted it was hard. Our store closed at 11:00PM and we cleaned until 3:00AM. I did not like that part cause my first class was at 8:00AM the following day, but it did provide me with food and income during my poverty days of college.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/04 17:31:39 (permalink)
    Hey Paul, do they still clean 'em(McDonald's) like they used to? I'm wondering 'cause I see the ones near me are dark inside about a half hour after closing. Your point about criticizing personal opinions on this site is right on target. I think the criticism of personal opinions is pure poison.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/04 17:44:54 (permalink)
    How does that saying go?

Ones man's pleasure is another ones poison.

I adore Jack-in-the-box Tacos, but I don't think I want to know what is in them!

Please, no preaching here!

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/04 17:47:33 (permalink)
    Cheesewit: I think they still do, but the labor they use now is higher (more) than when I was an employee. When I first started, they did not have the McDonald's employee dedicated to clean up and etc. We were crosstrained to cook, clean, serve, pack, unload trucks and etc. Their staffing now include more dedicated folks to a particular job.

I do not believe they are anywhere close to what they use to be as far as cleanliness standards under Ray Kroc. In 1960, Mr. Kroc's standards including polishing the drain pipes, water pipes, wiping off the freezers and polishing everything. Rest rooms were as clean as the cooking area. It ain't that way anymore. With ten zillions restaurants, franchises run the bell curve. Some are great and some are not so great. I occasionally eat at McDonalds and the bell curve exist in the quality of food also. The same occurs at your local restaurants except worse as they do not have a SOM or standard operating manuel and you are are the mercy of individual ideas of cleanliness and quality.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CheeseWit
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/04 19:11:01 (permalink)
    Thanks Paul for your response. As you are quite aware, McDonald's has been searching for answers to improve their sales. I believe that going back to the values and "rules" to what brought ya' is the answer. McDonald's used to be the state of the art in fast food feeders. Other chains, Wendy's to name one, have been doing better sales-wise and in new product introductions. Mr. Kroc's ways should be re-instated.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/04 20:27:06 (permalink)
    Hi there, Meowzart here with her moderator hat on. I am hoping that Andy's post was more to create debate and not to criticize and I will give the benefit of the doubt. He's fairly new here. He may not be aware that yumbo is as big a supporter of independent restaurants as we have here. Hopefully we can get back on topic and talk about breakfast burritos. Maybe suggesting an alternative to feed yumbo's addiction would be better than critiqueing a confession.

Hat off now...I would be a very happy person if that damn Schlosser book is never mentioned on these boards again!! Ay yi yi, that book has turned more things ugly on this board!!!!

Meowzart
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/04 20:31:36 (permalink)
    Don't hate me Meowzart! I read Fast Food Nation, I found it a bit dry for my taste, and while eye opening, it's not gonna change my eating habits one bit. I don't do fast food often regardless. Okay, enough of that!
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/04 20:47:47 (permalink)
    I like Jack In The Box's Breakfast Croissants! Man, they are good! I think McDonalds Sausage is great. If they made Sausage that was good for you it wouldn't be any good! "Mama Said Life Is Like A Fast Food Resturant....You Never Know What Ya Gonna Get!" LOL That's All I Have To Say About That!"
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/04 20:54:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Texicana

Don't hate me Meowzart! I read Fast Food Nation, I found it a bit dry for my taste, and while eye opening, it's not gonna change my eating habits one bit. I don't do fast food often regardless. Okay, enough of that!

Oh Texicana! I don't hate you!! Hell, I read the damn book, too. And I came away from it the same as you. I learned stuff, but you gotta read everything with a grain of salt. I don't do patronize fast food chains often myself...though I have been known to indulge in fast food from indenpendents, of course (I hate to lump them all together!), or I wouldn't be lurking these boards. There just seem to be so many people out there who seem to take the word of that man as gospel!! Despite what Schlosser says, I still gotta get some fries every now and then and a milkshake to dip them in!!!

Meowzart
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/04 20:55:47 (permalink)
    The only mass produced burger I ever crave is a good ole Sonic #1

Long live the independents!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2130
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/04 21:21:04 (permalink)
    I am a sucker for In & Out Burgers. Just had one the other day while on the road.
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/04 23:29:08 (permalink)
    Those little beasties and the occasional regular cheeseburger (I just adore those tiny perfectly square onions) are about the only things that ever bring me near a McDonalds. But as a confirmed Pop-Cultureaholic, I'm kind of fascinated by their regional offerings, like the "McBrat" I saw in Milwaukee.

I read "Fast Food Nation" too, but the parts that stuck out for me were about the Mexican immigrants cleaning the slaughterhouses and the fast food (and especially soda) companies that push their products in schools. What we eat or don't is a choice--my arteries are mine and yours are yours. There's no need for anyone to get all self-righteous and patronizing--just take care of yourself, and maybe the rest of the world will do the same.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 01:03:49 (permalink)
    If ANDYNYC1 had really read the original post he would have noted that Yumbo says, "I swore a couple of years ago that I'd never eat them again, and then I had one on our way to Milwaukee and I ...just ...can't ...stop ..."

He's not advocating them as a regular part of his diet just confessing that it is something he has an addiction to.

And I'm sorry but, "Come on, you can certainly find a better breakfast than McDonalds!" comes across as an attack to me. Maybe it's because we are all a bit hyper sensitive due to recent attacks by other personages on this site and maybe it's because we are all getting a bit tired of having "Fast-food Nation" trotted out all the time as some kind of bible. Personally I take this kind of research with a grain of salt. Like much research today, it can be made to say what you want or what will sell the books just by controlling where you get your research & how you edit what you get, there is no law that says he must put the truth in his book. Plus reading the list of ingrediants I don't see anything I don't have in my own kitchen in some form or other.

Now that I've had my little say I'm going to toddle of to bed so I can get up & get to work tomorrow!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 04:02:38 (permalink)
    AndyNYC: you forgot to include oxygen and water

Seriously, you indicated that by eating at an independent restaurant, you would cut down on your poisons by ten fold. Don't you think they buy at a distributor just like Mickies or Wendy's. Look at the trucks that pull up in front. Probably the same distributor or similar.

I am not necessarily an advocate of either the chains or the private guy. I try to make an intelligent decision of which I prefer at the time and that depends a lot of circumstances such as the amount of time i have, cleanliness of the establishment, how hungry I am and etc. If I am real hungry its probably more like any port in a storm and if I have guest, I am much more selective.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 07:41:56 (permalink)
    I don't know how we got from point A to point B in this topic, but I always thought it ain't breakfast if you have to unwrap it.
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 07:47:52 (permalink)
    I confess to a weakness to an Egg McMuffin, which I share with #1 doggie, but by the simple fact that I am Mexican, my family would excommunicate me if I ate a breakfast burrito at someplace other than a taqueria shack or similar restaurant! I still don't think they have forgiven me for TacoBell

So what if you indulge in something you like every now and then?? Munch on
    CheeseWit
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 07:56:19 (permalink)
    Reading ingredient listings can be an eye-opening experience. Most foods that are frozen or need an extended shelf-life have preservatives in them. Many foods and beverages add gums (zanthan, CMC) for "mouth-feel"-ice creams included. Many foods need color for eye-appeal. These ingredients are quite commonplace. As Paul said, we make eating decisions based on degree of hunger, the location or convenience of the eating establishment, budget, time, and cleanliness. Sometimes, a fast food chain is the only choice. With Jane and Michael's help, we can plan our choices in eating geographically and monetarily.
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 08:26:13 (permalink)
    Maybe I shouldn't post first thing in the morning, too many goofs ups. Carry on~
    baybey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 10:39:20 (permalink)
    It seems to me that Andy was expressing an opinion about McDonalds, not so much an opinion about Yumbo and his confession. However he certainly wasn't expressing an opinion about people based upon where they are from, for example, Philadelphia or Baltimore. It is unfortunate that Ocean.. and Cheese... felt it necessary to express their prejudice about people from NYC.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 11:56:12 (permalink)
    As expected, this has gotten ugly.

ATTN. ocdreamr and CheeseWit: please self-edit your posts or I will do it. This is a forum about food, NOT ABOUT AMERICAN CULTURAL STEREOTYPES!!

ATTN. posters to this thread: please keep the topic to breakfast burritos, especially those from McD's.

ATTN. AndyNYC1, wanderingjew, and other very passionate posters: In an attempt to contain the vitriol concerning Fast Food Nation vs. Independents I have created a new topic in the Miscellaneous Forums called "Schlosser's Fast Food Nation: RANT HERE!" Hopefully we can try to keep the passionate posts there and out of the other topics. Andy, I copied your ingredient listing to the topic to get things started.

Lastly, if you do not care for yumbo patronizing McDonald's, please give him/her some options!! I know there are other great breakfast burritos out there from all different sources. Give yumbo a new addiction!! I think this is much more constructive than the posts that have shown up in this topic. It would benefit everybody.

Thanks!
    Meowzart
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 12:12:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

As expected, this has gotten ugly.

ATTN. ocdreamr and CheeseWit: please self-edit your posts or I will do it. This is a forum about food, NOT ABOUT AMERICAN CULTURAL STEREOTYPES!!

ATTN. posters to this thread: please keep the topic to breakfast burritos, especially those from McD's.

ATTN. AndyNYC1, wanderingjew, and other very passionate posters: In an attempt to contain the vitriol concerning Fast Food Nation vs. Independents I have created a new topic in the Miscellaneous Forums called "Schlosser's Fast Food Nation: RANT HERE!" Hopefully we can try to keep the passionate posts there and out of the other topics. Andy, I copied your ingredient listing to the topic to get things started.

Lastly, if you do not care for yumbo patronizing McDonald's, please give him/her some options!! I know there are other great breakfast burritos out there from all different sources. Give yumbo a new addiction!! I think this is much more constructive than the posts that have shown up in this topic. It would benefit everybody.

Thanks!
    Meowzart

Sorry, didn't realize a new thread was being created. I deleted my reply and copied it to the appropriate thread
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 12:48:53 (permalink)
    Geez. I just logged on here and found that I've started a little conflagration.

I love a real breakfast burrito as much as anyone here, but rarely does it come with the drive-thru convenience that McD's represents. I have read Fast Food Nation and I am fully aware of the dietary side effects.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 13:17:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yumbo

I love a real breakfast burrito as much as anyone here, but rarely does it come with the drive-thru convenience that McD's represents. I have read Fast Food Nation and I am fully aware of the dietary side effects.

Hey Yumbo,

Your in Wisconsin now. Does McD's offer a Mc Brat!
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 13:56:58 (permalink)
    I certainly am glad I am not in on this.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 14:42:51 (permalink)
    Well, there already is a thread in the Breakfast section called Breakfast Burritos. Maybe this is where this thread should be placed. Alternatives to McD's may be found there including the nearly life sized photo courtesy of Mr. Stern of the most appetizing breakfast burrito I've ever seen.
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 17:09:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
    Originally posted by yumbo

Hey Yumbo,

Your in Wisconsin now. Does McD's offer a Mc Brat!

I think I do remember one McD's doing a test market of it in the Bremerton, Washington area, believe it or not. I wouldn't be surprised if they did come out with one, though, seeing as how they're trying to stimulate sales by introducing some weird gimmick every other month.

Out here in Milwaukee you can get your McD fries with melted cheese: you get a 1/2 inch tall plastic tub filled with orange goop. It comes with the Sargento's label (to give it legitimacy).
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18889
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 17:31:58 (permalink)
    "Your in Wisconsin now. Does McD's offer a Mc Brat!"

They tested them in Central Ohio a couple of years ago. Apparently they didn't do well.
    RockyB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: McDonald's Breakfast Burrito 2003/08/05 18:50:06 (permalink)
    Poor Yumbo...You've been getting beaten up on this one. I don't know about Mc Brats, but in Maine they offer Mc Lobster Rolls! EEEK! But the thing is, there certainly are some things at McD's that are addicting. And yes, even Roadfooders might succumb to the Golden Arches...At one time they were pretty good. Or maybe that being a kid in the early 60's it was just novelty. Hey..if ya eat a Mc Burrito once in awhile, it helps you remember WHY you love Roadfood!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1