McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4583
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/02/28 20:50:07 (permalink)
I like the dollar menu for a quick cheap cheap cheap lunch.

Did I mention cheap?

dbl cheeseburger and a water. 1.00.

Sometime the palate dictates my lunch stop, but more often, the wallet.
WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/03/16 18:01:55 (permalink)
Oh my goodness, I've read that account before where the man ate nothing but McDonald's for a month ... talk about crazy and unhealthy!!! I can't believe that someone would put themselves through that. Maybe if you didn't supersize everything and you varied your choices of food every day, it might be a little more doable, but *still*.

Nevertheless...I have a weakness for McDonald's fries. I don't care what anybody says ... they are the best fast food fries you can get ;)

~Jessica
hollyshat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/03/23 20:47:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Willly

When I was 16 and worked at Mcdonalds ('82-'83), I couldn't stand making the McRibs. I hated it so much that I never had one. The look of the frozen ground pork extruded with the fake ribs was just too much. Additionally, they had to be cooked at a different temp than the 10-1s and 4-1s, and sit in the sauce for at least and hour before serving.

While I do get my kids McD's every once in a while, I agree that the quality has slipped. At sixteen, I was actually proud to work there. They weren't the the last place teens wanted to work -- They were actually selective. And I learned how to work hard, follow directions, and take pride in even menial work.

You never see a bunch of kids happy to work in a McDonalds anymore.

You are correct, I currently work at a McD's and no one has pride in their work. Customer service is poor because the kids and customers no longer care, but I do not even want to get started on the customers!! I have never meant so many rude people in one area!! I mean we handle and make your (as in the customer) food, do you really want to treat us (as McD's employees) poorly??
RockyB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/03/31 13:58:25 (permalink)
Thank-you Mr. Mayor for your excellent observations. I've stayed away from this board for awhile because of the constant snobbyness of a number of the participants. People whouldn't be afraid here to be able to talk about what they like or remember or even admit they like a Big Mac once in awhile. Again, thanks, Mr. Mayor!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/03/31 14:28:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RockyB

Thank-you Mr. Mayor for your excellent observations. I've stayed away from this board for awhile because of the constant snobbyness of a number of the participants. People whouldn't be afraid here to be able to talk about what they like or remember or even admit they like a Big Mac once in awhile. Again, thanks, Mr. Mayor!

On the other hand...

quote:
Originally posted by Ashley Wilkes
I had never heard of Peter Luger’s so I just read the review. If I go to Brooklyn, it sounds like a place I would like to eat. I don't see the economic totem pole as the issue. To me, the issue is about "locally owned" regional/American food vs. corporate America.

The whole point is to go to Brooklyn and know some good local places, so you don't have to eat at McDonalds or some other corporate restaurant.

For example, years ago Steve's Ice Cream in Boston used to make homemade ice cream in each store. I loved it. Then Steve's sold out to corporate America. The corporate bean counters removed the local ice cream machines and brought in factory-made ice cream. Then they marketed Steve's Ice Cream in grocery stores. It was disgusting. They took Steve's wonderful reputation for homemade ice cream and trashed it with inferior factory-made ice cream.

To me Roadfood isn’t about economics. It's about avoiding the factory food of corporate America.

You go girl!!!
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/03/31 15:45:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RockyB

I think you are mistaking snobbishness with people who sincerely seek out great "Roadfood". I have enjoyed a Flo's hot dog at about two bucks as well as a Peter Luger steak that cost plenty. I was extremely happy with both. I think that too many people are confused about what ROADFOOD is really about but I will give you a hint..........it ain't about The Golden Arches!
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/03/31 16:16:50 (permalink)
I like beans in my McD's double lutefisk.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/03/31 16:27:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

I would not settle for beans in my double lutefisk unless they added slaw made from "scratch".
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/03/31 16:50:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

I would not settle for beans in my double lutefisk unless they added slaw made from "scratch".

I only like lutefisk when it's wrapped up in lefse (see www.lefse.com)
however I'll only settle for the vinegar marinade, the mustard sauce and red bbq sauce just won't do.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6821
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/03/31 17:48:46 (permalink)
lefse: a potato "tortilla" made with butter (OK!) and sugar (NOT!) and rolled up with lutefisk. Hmmmm. Something in my little pea brain says NO! I might be temped to go McD's. Again, NOT! Nasty combinations!
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/03/31 19:19:28 (permalink)
Lefse yes!! Warn spread with butter, and a bit of suger. This is Norsky Soul Food. Ulike lutefisk which is impossibly horrible, only my auntie and mother would eat it!

This Is The Law
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/04/01 09:09:55 (permalink)
If you mixed lutefisk with livermush, would that make the lutefisk better or would it ruin the livermush???
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/04/01 10:45:00 (permalink)
Ort -- Is it true the McDonald's in Georgia are now serving McLivermush sandwiches?
daria
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/05/23 02:05:09 (permalink)
We don't get alot of "trial" runs on food up here like the McRibs. About the only time I go there is when I'm depressed and don't believe I am worth anything but the "food" that McDonald's sells. When I'm happy:PLEASE BRING ON THE LEFSE AND HOMEMADE JAMS/JELLIES but hold the lutefisk! Can't stand the stuff even though I'm Norwegian.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18447
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/05/23 11:54:50 (permalink)
What? A traitor to lutefisk right here among us. Heavens to Betsy.
daria
Junior Burger
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/05/24 00:59:20 (permalink)
No, I said NOT the lutefisk with the lefse. I still get queasy at the thought of how it "aromatized" my home of origin. Back then, it was lutefisk served with melted butter, lefse AND country style spare ribs. aahhhhh for those comfort foods of days bygone.
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

What? A traitor to lutefisk right here among us. Heavens to Betsy.
Rev.Bucky
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/05/24 16:57:28 (permalink)
How many of us here are old enough to remember when Mcdonalds proudly advertised that their burgers were 100% beef...

When was the last time you heard that? Been a while hasn't it?

One more Factoid, did you know that the Worlds leading purchaser of Cows Eyes is Mcdonalds?

Ever since I turned 40, I can't eat at Mcdonalds, I have tried, and I just don't enjoy it, and I always used to. So while I won't insult those who eat there, it's just not in me anymore. And I know a place, locally, and we all have them, where I can get a cheeseburger, fries and a soda, fresh cooked for me, when I order it, both Mom and Pop that are a dollar or two cheaper than the Value Meals at Mcdonalds. Don't think just because I'm cheap, I don't deserve or want something better than a fast food chain, and don't think just because you're broke, that you have to eat at Mcdonalds, or its ilk!!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4583
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/05/24 17:01:27 (permalink)
There are no mom and pop places cheaper than McDonald's in Cincinnati that I know of.

There are mom and pop places, but you can count on (at minimum) a 2 to 3 dollar higher meal cost, often much more.

If there were a mom and pop place that was cheaper, I'd be there all the time....
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/05/24 19:25:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

There are no mom and pop places cheaper than McDonald's in Cincinnati that I know of.

There are mom and pop places, but you can count on (at minimum) a 2 to 3 dollar higher meal cost, often much more.

If there were a mom and pop place that was cheaper, I'd be there all the time....

How do Skyline Chili, Zip's Cafe and the Proud Rooster compare on price?
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/05/24 19:38:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Bucky

How many of us here are old enough to remember when Mcdonalds proudly advertised that their burgers were 100% beef...

One more Factoid, did you know that the Worlds leading purchaser of Cows Eyes is Mcdonalds?

Ever since I turned 40, I can't eat at Mcdonalds, I have tried, and I just don't enjoy it, and I always used to. So while I won't insult those who eat there, it's just not in me anymore. And I know a place, locally, and we all have them, where I can get a cheeseburger, fries and a soda, fresh cooked for me, when I order it, both Mom and Pop that are a dollar or two cheaper than the Value Meals at Mcdonalds. Don't think just because I'm cheap, I don't deserve or want something better than a fast food chain, and don't think just because you're broke, that you have to eat at Mcdonalds, or its ilk!!

Could you explain exactly what about turning 40 turned you off of McDonalds? Did this occur on the eve of the anniversary of your birth date or did you only discover it on the actual anniversary?
Rex Allen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/05/24 21:00:07 (permalink)
The people on this web site are wonderful, you all have the greatest sense of humor! I am so glad I found it some time ago. Rex in expensive San Diego!
daria
Junior Burger
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/05/25 02:25:40 (permalink)
What in the world did they do with the cow eyes? I'd make some predictions but they'd be too gross to post.
quote:

Rev.Bucky
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/05/29 16:31:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Cakes

Could you explain exactly what about turning 40 turned you off of McDonalds? Did this occur on the eve of the anniversary of your birth date or did you only discover it on the actual anniversary?

It was about a month or so after I turned forty. I just noticed I didn't eat at Mcdonalds as much as I used to. So I decided to try it again. I ate about half of my food, and then realized I couldn't eat the rest and didn't want to. It was strange. It had nothing to do with turning forty, I don't think, it was just right around that time period that I just stopped eating there. I just lost my taste for their food, and believe me I have eaten plenty of Big Macs, Double cheeseburgers etc there, but now just the thought of eating their makes me not want to eat. I wish I could explain it better, but as I said, I have eaten there before, and may have to again someday, but whereas I used to look forward to it, well now I would be looking at what else is available in the area, and might even choose a 7-11 over a Mcdonalds!! There was no shocking expierence, or horror story, a switch in my head clicked over, and that was it, NO MO' McD's!!
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/05/29 17:51:53 (permalink)
*I have not eaten at a McD's for years but I agree they had the best fries (eat them asap) and the greatest coffee in the AM. Other than that .... I once had them make me a burger with no condiments, just the meat and the bun and oh my God, it was horrible. Horse meat! Maybe that is where they grind the eye's up in. They need all the pickles and stuff to kill the flavor of the meat.

What in the heck is a lutefisk? I'll try anything but what is it? My aunt is Norwegian and I gotta call her and find out also. She was the one that got us hooked on (I am going to kill the spelling but sounds like) suercor? Cabbage dish.

Also, when I lived in Chicago I used to stop at a McD's for coffee and they had a location on Harlem Avenue that all the help were retired folks. The BEST service in the world and the sweet older people would go and get you refills and, just like Mom, wiped the tables continuously. The same place on a weekend AM you would find all the retirees all there "spinning yarns" about their past and discussing the latest Chicago news. It was very enjoyable! Overnight all the retirees were gone and replaced with kids from who knows where and all the fun times were gone. I guess they are all at WalMart now! (LOL)

They had a good thing going there but maybe some McD's million dollar a year Exec did not think that old folks can "make" a restaurant, even a McD's. He was probably the same one that made the decision to replace beef with horse meat to save a few bucks.

Don
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3301
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/06/01 12:48:18 (permalink)
Daria,

You've got some better choices than McDonald's in Point. You have one of the original Culver's. There's that little breakfast restaurant in downtown Point with the antique furniture. "The Restaurant" in the Century Building, if it's still there. The Sky Club in Plover. Unfortunately, the Hot Fish Shoppe closed years ago and if all else fails, take a tour of the Point Brewery and sample all their brews. How about that restaurant on HYW 10 & 51. They have a decent fish fry on Friday's.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/06/01 13:08:22 (permalink)
I have to laugh...because Burger King, Mickey D's and Hardees were commonplace when I was growing up. But my mother had a soft spot for Wendys. We didn't have that many around where I grew up, and fast food was a foreign concept to my small-town mom. So whenever she'd spot one...I think it was all she could do NOT to turn a 180 in the road and head back.

I'm not a fast-food nut. I don't eat at Wendy's all that often because I now live in the country. But I appreciate what a treat non-Roadfood can be sometimes for country folks.

She also liked Tippy's Tacos in Fairfax, VA. Excellent place. Go there!
caratzas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/06/01 13:25:24 (permalink)
quote:

I'm not a fan of McDonalds either, but it the cow eyes thing appears to be a rumor: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/coweyes.htm#list

And the McD's website says that their Beef Patty is "100% pure USDA inspected beef; no additives, no fillers, no extenders."

But, like I said, I still don't like the place. Is it my imagination or has the quality/cleanliness of McD's declined drastically over the past decade or so?
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/06/01 20:11:24 (permalink)
Consider THIS:

"The McDonald's® regular hamburger is the one that got it all started in 1948. It's as basic as can be...yet the ones they serve today don't even taste CLOSE! Make em exactly as instructed, and you can enjoy that long-lost flavor once again...

** (In the mid 80's, McDonald's® began cooking both sides of the meat at the same time, This was to cut cooking time in half. But it also forever changed the flavor of the orginal hamburgers---ALL of them!)" **

http://www.moondragon.org/nutrition/recipes/recipeindex.html

I miss the original FF's also.

shell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/06/09 15:43:29 (permalink)
As I read about the talk about McDonalds, I can't help but remember what I'd tell my boys when they "thought" they wanted a happy meal... I'll get you a can of lard and a pound of sugar and we'll call it even!" ;)

Truthfully, my boys didn't like McDonalds, but when that had that little toy advertised...SOLD! That's when they'd try to get me to go. And yes, I'd give in once in awhile but we arent' big fast food eaters.
fastfoodsnob
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: McDonald's Two Cheeseburgers Extra Value Meal 2004/06/23 17:40:56 (permalink)
Yup, the french fries (and apple pies) just aren't the same anymore, and the Big Mac is simply too inconsistent to evoke the fond artery-choking memories I had as a child. MickeyD's is an interesting place for breakfast food, however, and even though the McMuffins don't appeal to me (tastewise), the breakfast burrito, hash browns, and bagel sandwich that included jalapeno cheese (no longer offered?) became my favorite orders from there. But I must say that the double cheeseburger value meal never registered with me.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1