McDonald's quarter-pounders in Columbia, Mo.

Author
Bill B.
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
2004/09/29 18:01:21 (permalink)

McDonald's quarter-pounders in Columbia, Mo.

Let me preface this by saying, I hate McDonald's. Hate. Hate, hate, hate.

Now, having said that, if you are in Columbia, Misery, you will find the best fast-food deal BY FAR at the University of Missouri campus McDonald's, across the sidewalk from MU's Ellis Library. On Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings, from 6-10, that McDonald's sells its quarter-pounders with cheese for 79 cents apiece. That's a pretty darn cheap cheeseburger.

Order four of them and stack up the hamburger patties on one bun, and you have a 1-pound cheeseburger for $3.16 plus tax. How can you beat that?

The kids who work there are friendly and bored to tears. They get virtually no business in the evening; hence, the special. And they definitely grill your burger to order, any way you want it.

Downside: It's still McDonald's. But for that price, and with no line in which to wait, I can live with it.

6 Replies Related Threads

zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: McDonald's quarter-pounders in Columbia, Mo. 2004/09/29 18:15:15 (permalink)
    Bill B, There used to be a restaurant close to campus called Glenn's (I think) They had great burgers. In fact, everything I ever tried there was quite good. Maybe not the McDonald's bargain, which is certainly a bargain! But Glenn's burgers were so good. Is Glenn's still around and are they still good?
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    RE: McDonald's quarter-pounders in Columbia, Mo. 2004/09/29 18:49:28 (permalink)
    That would be Glenn's Cafe at Ninth and Cherry. It closed maybe 3-4 years ago. Left a lot of people disappointed.
    Shane
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: McDonald's quarter-pounders in Columbia, Mo. 2004/09/29 20:18:07 (permalink)
    Hey Bill, do you remember Glenn's when it was out on the business loop? Used to go there before going the Blue Note (also at it's old location just off the business loop around the corner from Liquor, Guns, and Ammo!) Is Ernie's still in operation
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: McDonald's quarter-pounders in Columbia, Mo. 2004/09/29 20:30:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bill B.

That would be Glenn's Cafe at Ninth and Cherry. It closed maybe 3-4 years ago. Left a lot of people disappointed.

I'm really sorry to hear that Glenn's closed. I knew in past years people who cooked and served there. We always enjoyed it. I guess all good things do come to an end eventually.
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    RE: McDonald's quarter-pounders in Columbia, Mo. 2004/09/30 10:31:31 (permalink)
    Ernie's is still going strong, still popular among the college crowd. Glenn's location on the Business Loop was before my time. I didn't move here until '92.

Another place you folks might remember, the Bull Pen Cafe, out at the eastern end of the business loop, closed this past spring. Alexander's Steak House, next door to Wal-Mart on Stadium, closed a couple years ago when it lost its lease. That was a popular place where you cooked your own steaks over a fiery pit.

Columbia is changing fast. The Osco drug store downtown also lost its lease and will close Nov. 1. We have just one Super Wal-Mart at the moment, but there are three more in the planning stages. Progress.
    Shane
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: McDonald's quarter-pounders in Columbia, Mo. 2004/09/30 11:35:49 (permalink)
    Bill, Spent the mid to late 80's in Columbia at UMC, many great adventures, the deals at the on campus McDs was essential to survival in those days. Glad to hear Ernie's is still going strong - it was my first (it's now a lifestyle!) greasy spoon experience. Discovering Glenn's back in the day was amazing, the Hopping John with sausage became a staple. Last time I was in the area it did seem things were way different, took my wife to Booches though and had great fun...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1