McD's Failures

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
Kaczmark
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
2005/03/11 09:41:43 (permalink)

McD's Failures

hey, I know what would be fun. Lets list all the known or remembered McD's failures. How about McPizza's. Awful awful taste in a little cardboard box. Last time I was up in Toronto, they were still serving them at a few places. God awful taste....any more people......?

154 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/11 09:50:36 (permalink)
    I gotta say, I usually stay away from McDonalds et al, I do like their sausage biscuits so I stop by for those, especially when I travel. I also appreciate the philanthropical nature of the owners of this organization, Ronald McDonald house, and the millions of $$ they give to charities.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/11 09:50:48 (permalink)
    McDLT, hot side hot and cold side cold.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/11 09:56:23 (permalink)
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=2&u=/nm/20050311/od_nm/leisure_mcdonalds_dc
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/11 10:17:51 (permalink)
    I agree with you Carlton, it's tough to bash McD because of what they do for charity. I too, will stop every once in a while for the sausage biscuit, usually eating them seperately.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/11 10:21:09 (permalink)
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. McRib, nasty nasty!
    But I do like the breakfast items.

The Lady

jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/11 20:36:35 (permalink)
    have to agree.. the McDLT was a bit of a flop.. people ended up putting them togehter anyway-- never understood the point of that one.. and the McRib.. have to agree with that one too- and why put pickles on it.... UGH...

breakfast sandwiches are good.. :) and sometimes nothing beats a big mac...:)

i guess once a mc donald-a-holic always a mcdonald-a-holic!! :)
    senor boogie woogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/11 21:24:08 (permalink)

Hola!

The McRib was the best damn thing that McDonalds ever made. Mystery meat, BBQ sauce, onions and pickles and some good mass produced bread. Here in China, they sell a similar sandwich with the same meat and bread but without the BBQ sauce, and putting lettuce on it instead of onion.

How about the McLean? That thing had no flavor. What happened to the cherry pie of my youth?

Senor
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/12 09:45:12 (permalink)

When the first McDonald's in Richmond, VA opened on W. Broad St. circa 1964, they made their french fries from fresh cut potatoes and deep fried them in beef tallow. There was no indoor seating; you ordered from one little window and picked up your food from another little window. They gained a big following for those great fries.

They don't do it right anymore; haven't for a long time.

Frank

Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/12 09:53:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

McDLT, hot side hot and cold side cold.

McDLT was the best burger Mickey D's ever put out in my opinion. Not like that's saying much.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1093
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/12 10:48:38 (permalink)
    I don't know if you can call the McRib a failure becasue they still bring it back from time to time for "a limited time only." I think one of their big recent failures was the Arch Deluxe. They spent millions in advertising trying to promote this new "grown up" taste but it must not have sold becasue it wasn't around long at all. A failure from a long time ago was the McSteak which I never tried.
    Kaczmark
    Hamburger
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/12 10:51:56 (permalink)
    anyone remember the McMac.....like the whopper jr. only it was the small verson of the Big Mac ! ! I can barely remember the tag song that went along with it...."McMac Pattywack, found another bone, ....got me a refund, goin' home."[|)][|)][|)]
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2310
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/12 11:21:28 (permalink)
    Found another bone? In yer burger? I wonder whether the ad agency didn't help with the demise of that jewel?
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/12 11:44:41 (permalink)
    McD's "charity"
    They make millions and millions of dollars every year on raunchy food.
    "Ronald McDonald houses survive through the efforts of many volunteers who have car washes bake sales, etc. Even if the volunteers didn't contribute all those hours of work and McDs contributed every cent of their operations, it would be a very tiny figure above their bottom line. I hope they do more for charity than just RMD houses.
    McD's is the only place I just will not enter anymore despite my desire for a Big Mac now and then. McDonalds proves that with good marketing you can sell anything.
    If that makes me a food snob, so be it.
    anselmo1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/12 18:55:47 (permalink)
    I thought the best thing McD's sold is their bottled water! It is the only item I will buy from them at the drive thru!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3757
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/13 01:53:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

I gotta say, I usually stay away from McDonalds et al, I do like their sausage biscuits so I stop by for those, especially when I travel. I also appreciate the philanthropical nature of the owners of this organization, Ronald McDonald house, and the millions of $$ they give to charities.

"Philanthropic nature of the owners"???? You do know that Ray Kroc all but STOLE the idea/concept/ideology...and in the end, profits, from the McDonald brothers. Makes you kind of wonder what could have happened had they NOT been run by a corporate whore???
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/13 03:39:28 (permalink)
    Cheddar Melt, Philly Cheesesteak, Chinese Chicken Salad, Bacon Double Cheeseburger to name a few. BTW i think not eating at McDonald's is Un-American.
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 181
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/13 07:40:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kaczmark

hey, I know what would be fun. Lets list all the known or remembered McD's failures. How about McPizza's. Awful awful taste in a little cardboard box. Last time I was up in Toronto, they were still serving them at a few places. God awful taste....any more people......?
    Yes, let's face it.... the McPizzas sucked bigtime. First they violated the first code of fast food - they weren't fast, you had to pull out of the drive thru (sic) lane and wait 5 minutes while any other food got cold enough to congeal the grease to wait for a McPizza. When it came, it dropped all those little brown things [they used on the bottom to keep it from sticking - charred corn flour?]all over your pants, the car seat, and the console. Plus they tasted like a generic, computer-generated, multiculturally-inoffensive parody of a pizza.... Poor Toronto.
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/13 07:47:18 (permalink)
    quote:

Like the $250,000 McD magnate Ray Kroc donated to the Republican Party in 1972 to Richard Nixon's re-election campaign (back when that was still considered a sizable donation). That ended the 15 cent burgers and sent a generation of us across the street to Burger Chef.....
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/13 08:00:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

Hola!

The McRib was the best damn thing that McDonalds ever made. Mystery meat, BBQ sauce, onions and pickles and some good mass produced bread. Here in China, they sell a similar sandwich with the same meat and bread but without the BBQ sauce, and putting lettuce on it instead of onion.

How about the McLean? That thing had no flavor. What happened to the cherry pie of my youth?

Senor
    Hey, the Moo Goo Gai Pan Burger is just an idea waiting to happen....McWor Soo Gai...mmmmmmmmmmmm.

I'll tell you what happened to the McCherry Pie of your youth - after being responsible for a huge number of second degree mouth burns from searing cherry glaze created by microwave-naive teenage workers they probably listed to the McLegal department and dropped those puppies like burning napalm. After a couple of years of complaints by customers with charred skin hanging from their upper palette, McD's finally put up little signs warning newcomers "Be Careful. The fruit pies may be very hot on the inside even though they are not hot on the outside." By then (early to mid-70's), microwaves started appearing in work cafeterias and some homes and the general populace started learning that you don't microwave a little cherry pie on High for 4 minutes without severe consequences.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/13 08:04:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

Cheddar Melt, Philly Cheesesteak, Chinese Chicken Salad, Bacon Double Cheeseburger to name a few. BTW i think not eating at McDonald's is Un-American.

The Bacon Double Cheeseburger was a hit. It was too expensive to make for McDee's to make profitable.
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/13 08:04:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

I don't know if you can call the McRib a failure becasue they still bring it back from time to time for "a limited time only." I think one of their big recent failures was the Arch Deluxe. They spent millions in advertising trying to promote this new "grown up" taste but it must not have sold becasue it wasn't around long at all. A failure from a long time ago was the McSteak which I never tried.
    The perennial infliction of the McRib on the American populace also puzzles me. I suspect they have vast underground silos of them frozen and hidden away and the McMarketing Dept. advised them to foist them on the public a few at a time so they can eventually get rid of their inventory from years ago...
    fdm813
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/13 08:23:58 (permalink)
    Some of you old timers may remember this. I first went to a McDonalds in 1967 in Tampa. Yes the fries were not frozen. What amazed me was there was no little packets of catsup. They had something called a "Dunk Cup" it was a little paper cup half filled with catsup. This SOLD, I repeat SOLD for 3 cents. To be honest, the burgers were better then. At that time they only had single and double burgers, fries, fish sandwich, drinks, shakes and those delish fried apple pies.
    Frank
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/13 08:37:45 (permalink)
    Here is the mcmenu.pdf link reposted from one of my prior posts.

http://www.fscwv.edu/users/rheffner/mc/mcmenu.pdf
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/13 09:14:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mark in Ohio

quote:

Like the $250,000 McD magnate Ray Kroc donated to the Republican Party in 1972 to Richard Nixon's re-election campaign (back when that was still considered a sizable donation). That ended the 15 cent burgers and sent a generation of us across the street to Burger Chef.....

Hey, now there's a really worthy organization. You really made a heckuva courageous stand there. I'm waving the flag.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/13 09:31:18 (permalink)
    Not a big McDonald's fan, but I liked the McDLT and the MCLean. Never cared for the McChicken sandwiches though. The only time I stop there is if I'm on the road and in a hurry and nothing else fast is around. The McRib? Echhh sounds like they're getting rid of old frozen inventory!

Andrea
    Kaczmark
    Hamburger
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/14 09:30:56 (permalink)
    How about some failures that were either tried or imagined......."McCrabcakes",delicious immitation crab rolled up in cracker crumbs, and flash fried to a golden orange !! YUM. "McSillycorn", gettin the kids to eat healthy was a problem, but McSillycorn saved the day,...kinda. Too bad the kids started throwin the niblets around, causing the patrons to fall. Bad idea. "McTub-O-Tofu." Down the health road again, but even with the 50 cent pack of immitation "Spangle-Sprinkles," the tub floated down memory lane. Comeon kids, there has to be more. Think,..THINK.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/14 10:00:48 (permalink)
    Geezzz, I kinda liked the Cheddar Melt. And the Bacon Double Cheeseburger.
    Up here in the summertime they sell the McLobster Roll. That's just not right!
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/14 10:05:51 (permalink)
    I don't know if any McDonalds still sell this, but I thought the Broccoli Cheese soup was wretched. As I recall it was slimy with itty bitty pieces of broccoli floating around. It may have just been sold in the winter.

Andrea
    cleveland66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: McD's Failures 2005/03/14 10:26:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AndreaB

I don't know if any McDonalds still sell this, but I thought the Broccoli Cheese soup was wretched. As I recall it was slimy with itty bitty pieces of broccoli floating around. It may have just been sold in the winter.

Andrea

Yeah, the McSoups were a disaster.

The worst I've run into was on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It was called the McHoliday meal, and it consisted of a drink, fries, and...bratwurst on a low end hotdog bun, covered in ketchup. Bleccccccch!
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1