McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/14 15:28:16 (permalink)
You know what? I think I would also take a shot at a green chile cheeseburger!
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/15 12:11:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

Let me ask you, why then is Lobster Roll offered only in New England area locations, if they are able to order in bulk, and thus save money, why then are they not offered nationally?

For the same reason they only have green chile cheeseburgers on the menu at McDonalds in New Mexico: it's a regional thing. Sure, there are people outside of New England who know what lobster rolls are and like them, but those people are a small minority. They wouldn't sell enough of them outside of New England to make it worthwhile!

It's the same thing with the crab cakes, they only sell them on Maryland's Eastern Shore, you won't find them in the Baltimore area. Put em where the tourist biz is. Have Mcd's at home but McD's with crab - Lobster - ?whatever? nope, let's stop & give it a try! May be an attempt to draw in Mom & Dad when the kids yell for the familiar McDs.
jlobough
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/15 13:47:26 (permalink)
I know now that football season is coming, McDonald's will be rolling out the Bratwursts in Illinois and Wisconsin (another regional promotion idea, much like the lobster rolls). We also see the McRib here (an insult to all reputable BBQ in my opinion). The brats are just another thing for the Bears fans and Packers fans to argue about.
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/15 15:38:58 (permalink)
I'm not actually much of a McDonald's fan (it's the sort of place I'll go to maybe once a month, and it's rare that I order anything but a Big Mac and fries), but out of curiosity last summer, I tried the hot dog they were offering then -- something like "The All-American Dog," with relish, onions and mustard -- and it was actually surprisingly good! Beat the heck out of anything from Weinerschnitzel, anyway...
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/20 18:23:40 (permalink)
I am only a casual McDonalds casualty even though I know how to order for the freshest stuff (my son was a manager for a few years at McDees). London Mcky Dees sells beer. In Bejing, Mcky Dees does not do Peking duck or dumplings. Its stricly NY area Mcky Dees fare. And I have the menu to prove it. The only things is you have to be able to read Chinese to verify my claim.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/20 18:31:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

I'm not actually much of a McDonald's fan (it's the sort of place I'll go to maybe once a month, and it's rare that I order anything but a Big Mac and fries), but out of curiosity last summer, I tried the hot dog they were offering then -- something like "The All-American Dog," with relish, onions and mustard -- and it was actually surprisingly good! Beat the heck out of anything from Weinerschnitzel, anyway...

Lucky Bishop: I believe they were actually selling Johnsonville Brats. I bought some in Canton, OH and they were great.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/20 18:36:27 (permalink)
The Mickey D's around Austin have started selling Squashed McArmadillo. A regional favorite...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/20 18:46:04 (permalink)
Bushie: Gag a maggot

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/20 18:57:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Bushie: Gag a maggot

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/21 01:20:04 (permalink)
No, the brats were something different (for one thing, I think they sold those in the early fall, as an Oktoberfest thing). This was a frankfurter, no question. And rather a nice one at that.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/21 03:11:13 (permalink)
MdD's could GIVE AWAY their lobster rolls and I still wouldn't eat one. That goes for their frankfurters, ribs, nasty little shriveled up wads of grease they call burgers, etc. etc. Their only redeming factor is that they sell diet Coke. If I couldn't find any local food or Roadfood, I'd rather stop in a grocery store, get a piece of decent bread and a slice of ham and make a sandwich, and take that and a glass of wine or cold beer next to a stream and sit on the bank and watch the water go by. Don't like fast food places, never did, never will. Can't teach an old chef new tricks, sorry.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/21 08:46:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I bought a McRib several years ago when they first came out. I thought they were pretty tasty then. Seems like I recall a lot of onions. Maybe that was what it taste good. Seems like it was a synthetic rib

They were synthetic, sort of. When you grind pork fairly coarsely, form it into patties, and cook it, that's what you get. I used to do that w/ sausage in an Italian restaurant.) Anyhow, add the grill marks, BBQ sauce, onion, and pickle, and there you go. Me, I think it was the pickle that added something special. I've never had it on BBQ anywhere else.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/21 08:55:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop Sure, there are people outside of New England who know what lobster rolls are and like them, but those people are a small minority.

I think that's the issue. I had never heard of a lobster roll until I started haunting this board!
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/08/22 12:40:38 (permalink)
Recently Jack Osbourne of the MTV Osbournes show commented in an enthusiastic voice that the McRib is back. I gotta tell you I thought the McRib was one of the worst tasting conglomeration of reconstituted crap I have had the displeasure of tasting in a long time. Then again when I was sixteen, I may have felt differently.
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/10/15 18:51:48 (permalink)
Stanpnepa!
quote:
... but we had to make a second trip to the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport! Heaven on a bun!

Is there anything else you'd recommend at the Clam Shack other than lobster rolls?

Any other favourite seafood restaurants in Kennebunkport?

pfarmer241
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/10/16 22:32:06 (permalink)
Visited the Clam Shack in Ipswich, MA and agree with Sundancer. The fired clams are the best I have ever had. I was raised in New England and they are the best.
pfarmer241
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/10/17 06:10:51 (permalink)
If you want a lobster roll with REAL chuncks of lobster, try the Seafarer Tavern in WIckford, RI. Had to cut the lobster with a knife they were so large. Just the right amount of mayo and no other fillers.
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/10/17 07:40:07 (permalink)
Dose this mean Maryland can look foward to the "McCrab"
I think I need an adult beverage
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2003/10/17 07:49:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Argent

Dose this mean Maryland can look foward to the "McCrab"
I think I need an adult beverage

Maryland already has a McCrab and his name is William Donald Schaefer.*

* Current Maryland Comptroller, former Baltimore Maryland and all-around curmudgeon. Apologies for the joke that (only) every single Marylander will get.
OGsama
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2006/12/13 11:38:27 (permalink)
McLobster rolls aren't that bad, but they're far from good. I'd rather KFC's Poutine (fries with cheese crumbles and chicken gravy) if it has to be fast food.

As far as clams go, the best warm-water fried clams I've had were at a small diner named "Magnolia" back on one of the side streets of the French Quarter. My preference, however, runs toward old-water seafood and for fried northern clams I've had none better than the ones at Diane's, up the coastal highway near Five Islands, Nova Scotia. And while you're there, don't forget to stop in at the Five Islands Fish Market to get a nice (live or cooked) lobster and some mussels. You might even be able to get Yvonne to make up a meal-sized lobster roll if you're in for that instead of clams. Also in that area is the dutchman's cheese farm in Economy, a must if you like gouda.

On the matter of Freeport, I can't currently recall the name of the place, but there's a little sandwich and seafood shack down Rt.1 on the southern side of town, not far from the Hampton Inn. Absolutely brilliant fare to complement a weathered and worn exterior. Can anyone familiar with Freeport help me remember the name?
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2006/12/24 18:29:06 (permalink)
Several years ago (1992 to be exact), we were told about lobster rolls before we made a trip to New England and the Eastern provinces. I tried them at several places starting in Montauk on Long Island and continuing north. We had McLobster while in Maine and - as has already been said - not bad for the price. It was way cheaper (read that any way you wish) than any of the others. McDonald's used hot dog buns while everyone else used a nicer roll. The tasting of various lobster rolls is one of the more pleasant experiences from that very enjoyable trip.
cwjudyjr
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2006/12/25 16:00:16 (permalink)
In Maryland, at times, Mickey D's has a crabcake sandwich. Never as good as Mom Moms!

Conrad
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences 2006/12/28 14:57:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by OGsama

On the matter of Freeport, I can't currently recall the name of the place, but there's a little sandwich and seafood shack down Rt.1 on the southern side of town, not far from the Hampton Inn. Absolutely brilliant fare to complement a weathered and worn exterior. Can anyone familiar with Freeport help me remember the name?

I do think you are referring to Day's.. which technically is in Yarmouth, It is so close to the city boundaries.
It is right near the Muddy Rudder, and yes right by the Freeport Inn (Best Western), and the Freeport Cafe, which Holly Eats has reviewed.
The Hampton Inn is almost right in town, close to LL Bean.
http://www.hollyeats.com/FreeportCafe.htm
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1