• Total Posts : 4615
2012/09/24 06:44:58 (permalink)

~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats

McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats

18 Replies Related Threads

DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/24 09:29:03 (permalink)
    More grandstanding by people that are absolutely ignorant of the demands of shelf stable foods they take for granted. Just because they see igredients listed that sound "chemical" and unnatural, they cherry pick info without any knowledge or understanding of what they're talking about to sensationalize a non-issue. Flour modifiers and texturants have been around for ages. This isn't about the McRib or has anything to do about the meat. It's about the bread and the same as any other product they sell with buns or for that matter any bread you buy that you expect to last more then a day and look edible. Why chose the McRib and McD's to point out this issue when it or similar agents are used in ALL packaged, white breads?

Would you buy a sliced bread off the shelf in your store that was gray looking and got hard after a day and started to smell rancid? Probably not and it wouldn't be appealing either and customers would scream bloody murder having to buy bread daily and throw out the rest.

Just with any processed food or shelf stable food, there's going to have to be assistance of some kind to keep the food fresh for a while, keep it from turning to mush if defrosted, keep it looking palatable after canning and so on. It's the price we pay for convenience rather then having to buy the food fresh daily. I doubt anyone wants to be a stay-at-home individual that cooks and prepares food from moring to evening daily to exclude the convenince of shopping in a grocery store for most of the weeks needs if confronted with the reality of true organic and natural cooking. This is the 21rst century and it's unrealistic anyone is going back 100-150 years just to avoid processing agents. 
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2718
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/24 09:42:51 (permalink)
    More disturbing is that a yoga mat would contain the same chemicals that are in McRibs.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/24 10:12:00 (permalink)
    I see ammonium sulfate listed.  This looks like the 'pink slime' treatment.   Treating the meat with ammonia to kill bacteria, then neutralizing the ammonia forms either ammonium chloride or ammonium sulfate.

This makes me wounder how much 'pink (pork) slime' is used in the McRib.

... Ooof. What's the meat made of?
    Pig innards and plenty of salt. Typically, "restructured meat product" includes pig bits like tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, says Whet Moser at Chicago Magazine, citing a 1995 article by Robert Mandigo, a professor at the University of Nebraska. These parts are cooked and blended with salt and water to extract salt-soluble proteins, which act as a "glue" that helps bind the reshaped meat together.  ...
        ref: http://theweek.com/article/index/220866/whats-the-mcrib-made-of-anyway

Yep!  ... a McRib is 'Pink Slime' of pork.  And, can be made from otherwise pork meat which would have been sent to the 'dog food' companies.   Same problems as the Pink Slime of Beef.    ... I don't eat McD's, anyway.
    edwmax
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/24 10:18:23 (permalink)
    Oh ... on 2nd look at the 1st link, I see the article does reference Pink Slime and the USDA articles.     
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/24 10:31:31 (permalink)
    I'll wait until someone dare write a story about White Castle...
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/24 11:44:08 (permalink)
    Last I recall, ground or macerated meat as opposed to whole cuts is required to be sanitized via an ammonia gas process. Whole cuts of beef do not. Technically, if restaurant buys whole cuts of meat, enteric bacterial levels can be high and for that matter there's no inspection process in place for any live nematodes or cysts in whole meat. That meat can be ground, pierced and core infected with surface bacteria that can flourish during low core temps that otherwise wouldn't have been innoculated during injections of marinades or piercings is safe handling methods aren't used. Which would you feel safer with? Sanitized meat or meat potentially dangerous? 

Any mechanically seperated meat product is going to be treated by FDA requirements. Condemning processors for following the law is cheap media sensationalism preying on the average person's ignorance. Looks like big media is going to be facing a huge lawsuit under food disparagement laws for using this word. Even if they don't win, this is going to be costing a vast fortune in litigation and you know darn well this is going to be drawn out into a war of attrition. Even if the industry doesn't win, this will be more about reputation and getting the facts public about FDA requirements and being tainted with a media applied disgust factor for ratings and self promotion.

I would be very careful throwing the words P.S. around at this point in a public forum. If they are getting this agressive with big media, it's going to be a matter of time before on-line reputation management is going to be flagging websites for using the term and the john/jane doe filings are going to start being filed. I'd hate to be one of those bloggers that gets a cease and desist with a civil demand after parroting big media.
    ABC has deep pockets and can afford litigation. The blogger's lawyer is going to deliver a good dose of reality when it comes to satisfying the demand letter vs. litigating it. The beef industry can be mercenary when reputation and losses are at stake. Ask Oprah. 
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/24 12:10:08 (permalink)
    NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE--NO MATTER WHAT McD'S' STUFF IS MADE OUT OF--IT STILL TASTE LIKE CRAP!!!! Living in Oklahoma--the local burgers here are AWESOME--dont know how McD's stays in business here!--just proves how many people have NO taste!

post edited by tiki - 2012/09/24 12:12:12
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/24 12:18:28 (permalink)
    I just told nephew Willy that his beloved french fries may be bad for him...

edwmax
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/24 13:15:24 (permalink)
    DawnT

Last I recall, ground or macerated meat as opposed to whole cuts is required to be sanitized via an ammonia gas process. Whole cuts of beef do not.  .... Which would you feel safer with? Sanitized meat or meat potentially dangerous? 

Any mechanically seperated meat product is going to be treated by FDA requirements.   

When it is un-clean meat (inners, trimmings dropped on the floor, and any meat contaminated with fecal matter), yes it does. It is the only way to pass the FDA bacterial infection test to be allowed for resale to the consumer.     The ammonia and other chemicals stay in the meat (above the natural level of content).   These additives should be labeled on the product.    Ammonia changes the flavor of the meat, and this is why I have bought and ground my own beef since about 1992. I don't buy ground pork.      ... But clean trimming or clean whole cut kept at the correct temperature and timely processed do not require this type of treatment.
    edwmax
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/24 13:19:49 (permalink)
    tiki

NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE--NO MATTER WHAT McD'S' STUFF IS MADE OUT OF--IT STILL TASTE LIKE CRAP!!!! Living in Oklahoma--the local burgers here are AWESOME--dont know how McD's stays in business here!--just proves how many people have NO taste!

...dito ... on not taste.    Fresh ground beef or pork without chemical decontaminates is a world of difference in flavor.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1739
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/24 17:11:34 (permalink)
    Well, I guess those who worry about this won't buy it

Those who like the taste will

Some of us will try and be our brothers keeper and keep them from making an unfortunate mistake

Caveat Emptor
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/24 18:38:07 (permalink)
    Well I won't add to the hysteria, as its all what people pick up on and really has no effect on us really.  But I was taken aback quite some years ago when working in the bread industry when I found out what L-cycsteine was made from.  Not sure how much of this we've all consumed over the years, but hey if you don't like it then make your own from scratch!  
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/24 21:06:09 (permalink)
    You'll have to wait until December this year...to not eat the McRib.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/25 17:03:40 (permalink)
    Over 67% of fast food contains dihydrogen monoxide!

Bart
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/25 18:11:45 (permalink)
    bartl

Over 67% of fast food contains dihydrogen monoxide!

Bart

I am writing my congressman!

Is that too political?
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4544
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/25 19:12:36 (permalink)
    I think we need an expert opinion.  Where is i95 when you need him.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/09/30 22:45:40 (permalink)
    Its a McRib for god's sake...its not good for you....its not a rib.... it may not be pork...it comes from McDonalds so you know it comes with all the good stuff New Jersey can cook up to make it taste like real food....and yes, it does smell like a yoga mat...Ate one in 1980...never again.

HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:~ McRib contains same chemical in yoga mats 2012/10/01 12:08:01 (permalink)
    I don't eat the things. Now, for those who like them, but aren't sure about them,Morningstar Farms has a vegetarian version that's all right. It too has the bbq sauce.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1