The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Meadows Frozen Custard

Author Message
phlmaestro2000

  • Total Posts: 109
  • Joined: 8/3/2006
  • Location: Philadelphia, PA
Meadows Frozen Custard Fri, 08/24/07 7:08 PM (permalink)
It's slim pickings for people who want real frozen custard in my part of the country (I'm in Philly and I know of only one place in this entire region that serves it; that being out in the burbs). I was looking for places on line and noticed there is a frozen custard chain called Meadows or The Meadows with a bunch of outlets in south central and western Pennsylvania. I occasionally go out to Pittsburgh, so if this place makes the real deal and it's good, I would be willing to make a minor detour off the turnpike.

Is anybody out here familiar with the place? Is it top-of-the-line genuine frozen custard that they serve?

Thanks.
 
#1
    KOK

    • Total Posts: 333
    • Joined: 4/26/2006
    • Location: Westminster, MD
    RE: Meadows Frozen Custard Mon, 08/27/07 2:41 PM (permalink)
    While Meadow's isn't "top-of-the-line" I think it's pretty good and worth a small detour. The one in Greensburg probably isn't more than 10 miles of the New Stanton exit of the Turnpike.

    I think it's richer and more dense than Rita's custard and it comes out in a strip from the freezer, like most better custards.

    They used to have a birthday club where you'd get a card for a freebie, but Greensburg, Hagerstown, Md and Frederick, Md had no idea what I was talking about.

    Thanks,

    Kevin

    http://www.meadowsfrozencustard.com/
     
    #2
      sheila irvine

      • Total Posts: 2
      • Joined: 8/28/2007
      • Location: york, PA
      RE: Meadows Frozen Custard Tue, 08/28/07 9:38 PM (permalink)
      the meadows in duncansville, pa, just outside altoona near hollidaysburg, is the original meadows and has THE best frozen custard i've ever tasted.
       
      #3
        Szzz

        • Total Posts: 4
        • Joined: 8/29/2007
        • Location: Hagerstown, MD
        RE: Meadows Frozen Custard Wed, 08/29/07 6:38 PM (permalink)
        KOK, they haven't heard of the birthday club because each franchise is individually owned, it's the owners' descretion whether or not they want to implement the birthday club, also most of the owners aren't familiar with the birthday club because it's not a Meadows tradition, it's merely one owner's idea.
         
        #4
          KOK

          • Total Posts: 333
          • Joined: 4/26/2006
          • Location: Westminster, MD
          RE: Meadows Frozen Custard Thu, 08/30/07 7:16 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Szzz
          KOK, they haven't heard of the birthday club because each franchise is individually owned, it's the owners' descretion whether or not they want to implement the birthday club, also most of the owners aren't familiar with the birthday club because it's not a Meadows tradition, it's merely one owner's idea.
          That makes sense. I should have been more clear that the one in Greensberg, Pa used to have the birthday club, and I got a card in 2005 and 2006. I was back in Pittsburgh earlier this year and Greensburg had done away with the club

          Thanks,

          Kevin
           
          #5
            Szzz

            • Total Posts: 4
            • Joined: 8/29/2007
            • Location: Hagerstown, MD
            RE: Meadows Frozen Custard Sat, 12/29/07 6:39 PM (permalink)
            Yeah it's a shame they did away with the club, the reason being is that too many people abused the system, without getting into the details of it, you can imagine how people would make fake names and birthdates just to take advantage of the birthday club cards.
             
            #6
              Szzz

              • Total Posts: 4
              • Joined: 8/29/2007
              • Location: Hagerstown, MD
              RE: Meadows Frozen Custard Thu, 02/7/08 4:10 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by KOK

              While Meadow's isn't "top-of-the-line" I think it's pretty good and worth a small detour.


              First off I'd like to say it is certainly "top-of-the-line." There's a reason why it's been successful for 50+ years now in the western PA location. Their custard easily rivals that of Ted Drewes in St. Louis and Culver's. Given it is a much small franchise due to ownership reasons, nevertheless it's product is nowhere near anything less than "top-of-the-line."
               
              #7
                KOK

                • Total Posts: 333
                • Joined: 4/26/2006
                • Location: Westminster, MD
                RE: Meadows Frozen Custard Fri, 02/15/08 1:49 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Szzz
                quote:
                Originally posted by KOK
                While Meadow's isn't "top-of-the-line" I think it's pretty good and worth a small detour.
                First off I'd like to say it is certainly "top-of-the-line." There's a reason why it's been successful for 50+ years now in the western PA location. Their custard easily rivals that of Ted Drewes in St. Louis and Culver's. Given it is a much small franchise due to ownership reasons, nevertheless it's product is nowhere near anything less than "top-of-the-line."
                I've been to Ted Drewes many times and, IMO, Meadows is not as good. I like Meadows but don't consider it on par with Ted Drewes.

                I don't know if you're affiliated with Meadows (3 of your 4 posts are in this thread and your town is listed as Hagerstown, MD where there is a Meadows). If so, I meant no disrespect, though I think you should disclose if you're affiliated. If not, we simply disagree on what we think is the best custard.

                That said, whenever I can, I stop at Meadows as I like it very much.

                Kevin
                 
                #8
                  Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                  Jump to:

                  Current active users

                  There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                  Icon Legend and Permission

                  • New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

                  2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com