Meat and smoking chamber temps at once?

Author
FATZ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
2004/07/20 16:52:57 (permalink)

Meat and smoking chamber temps at once?

I am looking for a good thermometer that will monitor the meat and the smoking chamber temps simultaneously.

Where do I begin? I call myself searching EBAY, but rather than bark up the wrong tree, I figured I'd ask here first.

On the other hand, I have installed a good thermometer on my pit so, the smoking chamber temp is able to be monitored now.

The convenience of being able to monitor both temps with one unit transmitting to a remote receiver sounds like the way to go.

What do you use and why do you like it?

6 Replies Related Threads

Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Meat and smoking chamber temps at once? 2004/07/20 16:57:58 (permalink)
    I use a Polder. I have not yet ugraded to anything wireless.
    FATZ
    Junior Burger
    RE: Meat and smoking chamber temps at once? 2004/07/20 18:31:24 (permalink)
    I am lookin' into the Maverick ET-73. It seems to be exactly what I want. $40 + it looks like.

Anyone got a testimonial on these?
    Stogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Meat and smoking chamber temps at once? 2004/07/21 10:41:35 (permalink)
    FATZ.....

No need to monitor meat temps! Save the money and buy more meat.

I long ago quit using a thermo to check meat for doneness. First of all, you don't need to check the meat until it is nearly done. Matter of fact, many times if you leave the thermo in the meat for an extended period of time you will get false readings. Also, in the case of a pork butt, there are 7 muscles that run thru the thing and each will give a different temp. Ribs are near impossible to get a temp on so no need for a thermo.

Finished meat temps are very subjective. So, instead, simply poke your probe thru the meat when you think it is ready. You will feel the resistance and therefore can judge how tender. Less resistance=more tender. I have had briskets that temp out at 188º yet are still far too tough. Same with butts...high temps and they still need cooking.

It is far more important to know the temp of your cooker.

Stogie

plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1038
    RE: Meat and smoking chamber temps at once? 2004/07/21 20:32:46 (permalink)
    I saw a wireless remote one at Barbeques Galore that will monitor the meat and the smoking chamber temps simultaneously. It cost more than 1/2 of what my smoker cost, so I did not buy it. Maybe someday.

Phil B.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Meat and smoking chamber temps at once? 2004/07/24 22:08:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by FATZ

I am lookin' into the Maverick ET-73. It seems to be exactly what I want. $40 + it looks like.

Anyone got a testimonial on these?

I have been using the ET-73s for about a year now and have been reasonably happy with them. While the instructions say they have a 75' range, it really depends on how many walls or structures has to pass through. And I believe battery strength has something to do with it also.

Based on other comments I have seen around, Maverick is bringing out an updated model in the next year that will have a 300' range.

And I have to agree with Stogie that meat temp is only one source of information on whether the meat is properly cooked or not. While I have not been able to break myself of putting the meat therm in, I have other ways to judge doneness just like Stogie does. And he does know que!

But the grate therm is excellent. I set the range and it lets me get more sleep because of it.

John
    FATZ
    Junior Burger
    RE: Meat and smoking chamber temps at once? 2004/07/25 12:50:05 (permalink)
    I did get the MAverick and am quite happy with it so far. I used it three times in the last three nights...haha.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1