Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Meatloaf Sandwiches

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40
emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 12:24 PM (permalink)
Does anyone here like meatloaf sandwiches. I like meatloaf on a sandwich better than I do when it is first baked. I like to save my leftover meatloaf and have a sandwich the next day. Just cold meatloaf on white bread.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
    RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 12:40 PM (permalink)
    I love meatloaf sandwiches. On crappy Wonder bread works great, but I have had them on better bread and they have been okay. I still prefer soft white bread with no nutritional value

Also, and this might be a bit of a travesty depending on who is reading, but i like em with ketchup sometimes too!

Rhodes

• Total Posts: 281
      RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 1:10 PM (permalink)
      I love them! I prefer fresh rye bread, french stick or a nice roll. I actually made a great Loaf this weekend, but there were not enough leftovers for sandwiches, curses. I'll make more next time.

Dipstick

• Total Posts: 337
        RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 1:26 PM (permalink)
        Absolutely one of my favorites!
        I like mine with a slice of swiss, lettuce, and REAL MAYO!

Grizzly

• Total Posts: 36
          RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 1:34 PM (permalink)
          Pan fried to crisp the edges and to just heat it through. Then use good toasted bread, pickles, mustard, mayo, lettuce. That's all I need.

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
            RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 1:44 PM (permalink)
            A cold meatloaf sandwich is one of the best late-night fridge raids. Squishy wonderbread, and a little extra ketchup. Extra because our meatloaf is baked with ketchup on the top and it gets all nice and caramelly. So good!!

There is a place in DC that serves grilled meatloaf sandwiches. The slab of meatloaf is grilled, not the sandwich itself. It is pretty darn good, too.

MMMMMMMMMMMMeatloaf!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 2:08 PM (permalink)
              HA! Thats what I had for breakfast today! Meatloaf sandwich with a little ketchup thrown on it.

SkiPatroller

• Total Posts: 19
                RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 2:22 PM (permalink)
                I just had it for lunch (added a slice of american cheese, microwaved it to warm it up and melt the cheese, lots of ketchup and 2 slices of Italian bread).

Yum!

howard8

• Total Posts: 355
                  RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 2:31 PM (permalink)
                  I love cold, left over meatloaf sandwiches all kinds of ways. All the variations described already I have had at one time or another. I guess my usual choice would be plain on white. When the mood hits, anything is game, such as cheese, slightly heated, ketchup, mayo or whatever. Also like it in a sandwich with leftover brown gravy. It really does make a great sandwich.

jpatweb

• Total Posts: 232
                    RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 2:50 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by meowzart

There is a place in DC that serves grilled meatloaf sandwiches. The slab of meatloaf is grilled, not the sandwich itself. It is pretty darn good, too.

MMMMMMMMMMMMeatloaf!

No need to be so secretive now. At least give me the initials of the place. And maybe the cross streets.

meowzart

RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 3:03 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by jpatweb

quote:
                      Originally posted by meowzart

MMMMMMMMMMMMeatloaf!

No need to be so secretive now. At least give me the initials of the place. And maybe the cross streets.

Oh jpat! If I could remember, I would have mentioned it! It was across the street from my old office at 13th and E. It was an upscale brew pub kind of place. Not M&S Grill, I know that much. We went there as a group for an office birthday and it was really good. I think it may be a chain--it kind of had that affected decor.

mtbuckingham

• Total Posts: 65
                        RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 3:24 PM (permalink)
                        John Harvard's, maybe?

meowzart

RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 3:52 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by mtbuckingham

John Harvard's, maybe?

YES!! That's it, Mt. Buck!

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                            RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 4:12 PM (permalink)
                            The meatloaf sandwhich is one of the all-time greatest breakfast foods!

In the (used to be ) small town where I reside outside of Houston, there used to be a mom and pop gas station/store where you could always buy a meatloaf sandwich from a basket on the counter, next to a basket of hard-boiled eggs.

The outside window had "Meatloaf sandwiches" painted on, looked like for years. Mom was the one who made the meatloaf. They were so good. I used to stop and get one for my morning commute.

Sadly, they have gone the way of everything else good in life. There is now a strip center there.

Our entire country has been Wal-martted.

PCC

• Total Posts: 111
                              RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 11:35 PM (permalink)
                              Count me in with the rest of Meatloaf Sandwich Fans! I didn't check the top sandwich count to see if they were included, but they are on my list.

talespinner

• Total Posts: 9
                                RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/23/04 11:54 PM (permalink)
                                Oh yeah, cold meatloaf sandwiches on white bread with mayo late at night are one of the things that make life worth living.... whenever I make meatloaf I always double the recipe just so there were be plenty left for snacking.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                  RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Wed, 03/24/04 1:33 AM (permalink)
                                  Count me in, too. Plain white bread, mayo, salt & pepper (but I may try something more--pickles, maybe). Problem is that I can't get a consistently sandwich-quality loaf. Mine tend to be crumbly. Any suggestions?

BigGlenn

RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Wed, 03/24/04 2:11 AM (permalink)
                                    Sad part, around my House there is never any leftover Meatloaf. But I do remember fondly as a kid, Mom served us a lot of different leftover things on two pieces of bread. LOL Meatloaf was most definitely the best. But, I liked putting Heinz 57 on mine. MMMMMMMMMMM Goooooooood!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6225
                                      RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Wed, 03/24/04 3:07 AM (permalink)
                                      Guess there has to be at least one wierdo on every thread so I'll take the heat on this one in saying, "I can't stand meatloaf sandwiches." (Am I gonna be excommunicated for that?) I guess it's a combo of all the above.....I don't like meatloaf, Wonder bread and Heinz 57 is just for french fries for me. My Mother and late Uncle Bert would DIE for meatloaf and sandwiches made thereof. They would order meatloaf in restaurants!! Sheesh. I ordered fried shrimp!

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
                                        RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Wed, 03/24/04 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                        I just made a loaf last nite and before I went to bed I had to have a meatloaf sammy.It aint right unless its white bread and ketchup! there also the best thing to take on a fishing trip!

autumneyez04

• Total Posts: 51
                                          RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/30/04 3:22 AM (permalink)
                                          OH MY,

I absolutely LOVE meatloaf sandwhiches the next day for breakfast. I have come up with my own recipe after much experimenting to get the right texture that will hold up well in meatloaf sandwhiches. I'm from the south and use cajun seasoning in mine. If you dont have cajun seasoning ( I use Tony Chachere's ) then use a little cheyenne pepper ( sorry I'm tired and dont feel like going to the kitchen and diggin out the spices and checking their spellings heh, please excuse the mispellings ). This meatloaf if so delicious and flavorful. Very moist.

2 lbs Ground Beef
                                          1-2 eggs
                                          1/2 pkg of saltine crackers crushed fine(I put mine in food processor)
                                          1 c milk
                                          1 pkg onion soup mix
                                          Tony Chachere's, Pepper, Salt and garlic powder to taste
                                          Small dash Celery Salt(optional)
                                          Dash of Steak Sauce
                                          Ketchup for the topping

Stir together the crushed crackers, milk, eggs, and seasonings along with the dash of Steak Sauce and Celery Salt if it's available. Add the meat and mush together till well blended. Press into a pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until done. Drain off the grease. Put a good amount of ketchup on top and return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.

I refridgerate the leftovers and heat it slightly with in the microwave or pan fry till slightly crisp on both sides and put on warm toasted bread. I dont even add mayo or extra ketchup for the ketchup has already been carmelized in the oven! so yummy

autumneyez04

RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/30/04 3:25 AM (permalink)
                                            Oops forgot to mention it MUST be white bread IMHO!

autumneyez04

RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/30/04 3:48 AM (permalink)
                                              OOOOOO and add some onion slices in there also for a nice treat!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                                RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/30/04 6:33 AM (permalink)
                                                Yes to the onions!!--with mayo--on Scalla bread!

Green_Chile

• Total Posts: 115
                                                  RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/30/04 7:00 AM (permalink)
                                                  I'm so in on this one...gonna have to make meatloaf right after the first when I can afford some more ground beef! Cold meatloaf slices (half-inch) on any junk bread with ketchup or mayo. I love
                                                  pickle chips on this.. Rick F. yer not alone. Extra eggs or whites help that moisture prob or even canned tomatoes undrained. I even go as far as meatloaf sandwiches with mashed potatoes and a touch of gravy....unabashed food craziness! Not really they just taste awesome!

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                                                    RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/30/04 8:48 AM (permalink)
                                                    Meatloaf sandwiches are a winner, cold or hot. My mom used to fry slabs of leftover meatloaf until there was a crisp crust. On rye with ketchup. A real treat.

lloydtasch

• Total Posts: 8
                                                      • Location: Chestnut Ridge, NY
                                                      RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/30/04 9:08 AM (permalink)
                                                      A deli near me makes a wwonderful meatloaf sandwich. It is served warm on a hero roll with a bit of gravy. Now thats a power lunch!

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                                                        RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Tue, 03/30/04 2:42 PM (permalink)
                                                        Meatloaf sandwichs are my absolute favorite !!! In fact I cook meatloaf just to have the leftover for sandwichs !!!

I like them on any type of bread, with mayo and ketchup and either provolone or swiss cheese !!

hawkeyejohn

• Total Posts: 257
                                                          • Location: Joliet, IL
                                                          RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Wed, 03/31/04 10:11 AM (permalink)
                                                          try a grilled cheese, but with a slice of meatloaf on it. Better than a patty melt. Also, add a little granulated garlic to the butter on the outside.

hungovergourmet

• Total Posts: 188
                                                            • Location: Lutherville, MD
                                                            RE: Meatloaf Sandwiches Sat, 04/17/04 4:57 PM (permalink)
                                                            Cafe Hon in Hampden in Baltimore has a good cold meatloaf sandwich. There's also a place called Bel-Loc Diner just off 695 and their hot meatloaf sandwich is very good, too.

Meatloaf to me is the great measure of any diner, be it cold or hot. Open faced or closed. If you can't do meatloaf, what *can* I trust you to do?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com