Meatloaf

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Meatloaf 2005/11/17 08:04:30 (permalink)
Im not too crazy about oatmeal in my meatloaf.The old lady that worked for me made it like that and it was always DRY!She dont work here no mo.
shen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Meatloaf 2005/11/17 10:21:49 (permalink)
now what do you all think about taking the mini loaf and in the middle putting a slice or 2 of american cheese? with the onions and the ketchip already in there it seems like it would be like a large cheeseburger!!!
I like the idea of stuffing it...any other stuffing ideas???
morningglory
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 559
RE: Meatloaf 2005/11/17 18:10:37 (permalink)
I do not think I have made any single meatloaf, the same way twice. I have used breadcrumbs, oatmeal, and cracker crumbs as extenders, and any veggies (celery, green/red pepper, onion, etc.) And the usual seasonings.

However, as tasty as the loaf is, it is always crumbly, except when cold, and easily sliced for leftover sandwiches.

Any ideas? Am I slicing it too soon and maybe I should let it rest for 5 minutes or so? Or, another question. I have read some recipes where the onion is cooked/sauteed, before adding it to the mix.

What do you think? Regardless, meatloaf is one of my alltime favorite comfort foods. It is always soul-satisfying.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18947
RE: Meatloaf 2005/11/17 19:28:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shen

now what do you all think about taking the mini loaf and in the middle putting a slice or 2 of american cheese? with the onions and the ketchip already in there it seems like it would be like a large cheeseburger!!!
I like the idea of stuffing it...any other stuffing ideas???

Well, I occasionally make something called a Foggia Beef Roll. You need five pounds of ground beef mixed with grated onion, two beaten eggs, about three cloves of chopped garlic, a half cup of grated Parmagiano Reggiano cheese, and a cup of breadcrumbs. Roll out the beef (holding a little back for possible later use) into large oval on either wax paper or parchment paper. Then you get a couple of links of Italian sweet and hot sausage, about four hard-cooked eggs. some slices of provolone cheese, and some chopped flat-leaf parsley. Place the sausage links parellel to each other with space between them for the hard-cooked eggs. Top it with the provolone cheese slices and some of the chopped parsley. Then, using the wax paper or parchment paper as a tool, you roll the meat up as with a jellyroll. If you end up with any holes in the meat use the stuff you held back for that purpose. Then place the roll, seam-side down in a baking pan that has been coated with a tomato sauce (I like to use a pomodoro, but a marinara would work equally well), then top the beef roll with more sauce and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for one and a half hours. Transfer the beef roll to a platter and slice it into half-inch thick slices and serve with sauce on the side and pass some grated Pamigiano Reggiano to be sprinkled over the meat.
MsCuisine
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Meatloaf 2005/11/17 21:22:34 (permalink)
I make meatloaves different ways depending on what I have on hand. But, if I am starting from scratch I use ground chuck, Bob Evans sage sausage, eggs, leftover white or italian bread soaked in a small ammount of milk, and finely chopped onions. That's about it, because the sausage has all the spices in it. The ratio of beef to sausage is 3:1. And, then after baking about half way through I glaze the loaves with ketsup.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Meatloaf 2005/11/18 10:47:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by morningglory

However, as tasty as the loaf is, it is always crumbly, except when cold, and easily sliced for leftover sandwiches.

Any ideas? Am I slicing it too soon and maybe I should let it rest for 5 minutes or so? Or, another question. I have read some recipes where the onion is cooked/sauteed, before adding it to the mix.

I always let mine sit for 10 minutes before cutting. Make sure you're adding enough extender and the eggs.
LipscombVol
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Meatloaf 2005/11/18 11:45:14 (permalink)
My mother in law would use grits (yes, she lived in the south) as a filler. It was delicious. I have tried to reproduce this many times, but never with any success. She must have been holding out the MIL secret!
RouxWoman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Meatloaf 2005/11/19 19:49:18 (permalink)
Here is one we do for meat-loaf that has a little different kick to it. It is delicious!

BBQ MEAT LOAF

1 & 1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
1 cup chopped onion, med fine
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper, med fine
2 thick slices of dry toasted bread, crumbled
1 large fresh egg, beaten
3/4 cup of any spicy barbecue sauce
3 T. worcestershire sauce
1 & 1/2 T. minced garlic
1 T. chili powder (or to taste)
Salt & pepper (to taste)
1 cooked smoked sausage, 6-8 inches (we use Andouilli)

Mix all of the ingredients is a bowl except the sausage.

Turn out the mixture on waxed paper and then flatten the mixture enough to place the sausage down the center.

Wrap the mixture around the sausage and shape to form a loaf with the sausage in the center.

Place in a loaf pan and and make a grove in the top and pour in some additional BBQ sauce.

Place on a hot covered barbecue for about an hour. You know it is done if it begins to pull from the pan.

Allow to cool for about 15-20 minutes, slice, and turn out onto a serving platter. You can add more sauce on top of sliced meat if you like.

This can also be baked in a 350 degree oven, but the barbecue smoke makes it more delicious in my opinion.

This goes great with Macaroni & cheese, dirty rice, or any potatoes!

If you try it, I hope you like it!

Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: Meatloaf 2005/11/19 20:10:02 (permalink)
We add veggies to the side of the meatloaf while baking much as one would while cooking a pot roast. We add carrots, onions potatoes adn celery and just bake as a normal meatloaf.

Butch
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Meatloaf 2005/11/21 10:19:35 (permalink)
I make more of a meat LUMP rather than a meatloaf. I don't use a loaf pan just place it in a pyrex dish.

Mom's meatloaf (sweet&sour?)
1-2 lbs ground beef
1 onion diced
1 cup cornflakes
1 egg
8 oz. can tomatoe sauce
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. perpared mustard
2 Tbsp. brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix first four ingredients and 1/2 the tomatoe sauce. Form into round loaf place in pyrex dish. Mix rest of ingredients to form sauce and pour over meatloaf (lump?). Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes and peas.

Yum!
unalaskawoman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: Meatloaf 2005/12/02 21:05:28 (permalink)
I use a mixture of ground beef and ground pork. Mix with one envelope of Lipton's onion/mushroom soup mix (only because this is what my Mom always used and I can't seem to break the habit!), and add lots of chopped up fresh onions and mushrooms. Add a dash of worcestershire or whatever sauce I have around that sounds good, whatever spices tickle my fancy, plus an egg to hold it together, and some sour cream. Mix together well. Put in loaf pan and top with several strips of bacon. Cook at 350 for 45 minutes or so until done. Very good, never dry.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Meatloaf 2005/12/05 09:44:52 (permalink)
That sounds good. I just might have to stray from my Mom's recipe. Once Ma, just once.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Meatloaf 2005/12/07 13:39:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by unalaskawoman

I use a mixture of ground beef and ground pork. Mix with one envelope of Lipton's onion/mushroom soup mix (only because this is what my Mom always used and I can't seem to break the habit!), and add lots of chopped up fresh onions and mushrooms. Add a dash of worcestershire or whatever sauce I have around that sounds good, whatever spices tickle my fancy, plus an egg to hold it together, and some sour cream. Mix together well. Put in loaf pan and top with several strips of bacon. Cook at 350 for 45 minutes or so until done. Very good, never dry.

I think we had the same mother.. Mine did the lipton thingy also...
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
RE: Meatloaf 2005/12/10 14:04:34 (permalink)
Quite by accident I've made meatloaf paté.
My mouth watering reading these recipes, I decided I needed to make some meatloaf, NOW!
I'd never made any with pork sausage and I had a package of frozen Jimmy Dean Hot in the freezer and a partial bag of some Swiss Colony sort of garlic mini Ritz crackers and some frozen ground chuck on hand and thought why not? I carefully nuked my meats. I added an egg and some onions and garlic and started to mix it up when I discovered my beef and my sausage were still partially frozen. No problem, I'll mix in my food processor. It ground everything up too fine but I still placed in my self-draining meatloaf pan and covered the top with some heavily smoked peppercorn bacon. The results resembled a fine paté more than a meatloaf but man o man, I'm not sure if I've ever had better meatloaf sandwiches! It slices like a good deli meat and there's no chance of a crumbling. I have no idea if I can duplicate it again but when I get another meatloaf sandwich hankering, I'm going to give it a try.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Meatloaf 2005/12/12 23:08:25 (permalink)
I tried Jennifer 4's, Dreamzpainter's and Sundancer' meatloaf recipes. One was not too good but the othey two were okay. And you know I wasn't sad, because two out of three a'int bad.
trudyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: Meatloaf 2005/12/13 11:15:05 (permalink)
Originally posted by mr chips

I tried Jennifer 4's, Dreamzpainter's and Sundancer' meatloaf recipes. One was not too good but the othey two were okay. And you know I wasn't sad, because two out of three a'int bad.
[/quote
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: Meatloaf 2005/12/13 11:34:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

I sure hope my recipe made the trip and the run off. Regardless, it works for me. The family likes the meatloaf.

Sincerely
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville,,TN
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Meatloaf 2005/12/13 12:42:03 (permalink)
Waiting patiently for a Paradise by the Dashboard Light reference...
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: Meatloaf 2005/12/13 14:54:20 (permalink)
Mom used crushed saltines, Ritz or oatmeal for the filler - depending on what was handy. I have been using Progresso Italian Breadcrumbs since I always seem to have those on hand thanks to Costco. More often than not, throwing in a handful of parmesan cheese, too.
Sometimes, I'll split the top and pour a line of BBQ sauce in it.
I've made it half-and-half with ground beef and ground turkey. Family didn't catch on. Solved the ground turkey texture problem and lowered the fat content. Unfortunately, my Costco quit carrying ground turkey.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Meatloaf 2005/12/18 15:18:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

Waiting patiently for a Paradise by the Dashboard Light reference...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm---
I got it...
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Meatloaf 2005/12/18 16:06:23 (permalink)
To me it has always been about the topping. I grew up with the standard ketchup topping, which I detest to this day. I do like meatloaf though. If I am doing one with a topping, a honey and mustard mixture works well. Another favorite is meatloaf with a mushroom sauce topping.

I will try meatloaf many was but please spare me from the dreaded ketchup topping
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1