Melbourne, FL

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1634
RE: Melbourne, FL 2011/05/22 10:08:05 (permalink)
I think the problem with Mezza Luna was the building itself. Most of the seating isn't under A/C or heating, so there's big chunks of the year that going there just doesn't sound all that appealing.

We live in the very north end of Melbourne, so we have Amici's as our neighborhood Italian. It's run by an ex-NYer & also has a bakery & deli attached.

Have you every tried Little Phillie's cheese steak? (A1A, just south of the Pineda causeway) Not much atmosphere, but a pretty good sandwich.

http://www.amicis-suntree.com/
http://www.littlephillies.com/
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
RE: Melbourne, FL 2012/02/14 17:22:45 (permalink)
Another Melbourne update....

cavandre - I have been to Little Phillie's and thought that it was OK.  I don't know that it is great...and it is a bit of a hike from where I live.  There also used to be a Big Phillie's up in Melbourne (near John Rhodes Blvd and Eau Gallie), but it is now closed. I am pretty sure that the guy who owns Little Phillies' brother owned Big Phillie's.  If I want a decent cheesesteak, I can get one around the corner from work at Rolli's.  I thought theirs was just as good as Little Phillie's, was cheaper and more convenient (for me).

I mentioned a couple of places upthread that closed that have some updates.  The chef who originally worked at Bella's and then opened Mezza Luna turned up at a small grocery store in Melbourne Beach.  He has a counter in there and works magic with daily specials and some constant menu items.  It is not cheap, by grocery store take-away standards, but far less expensive than the same meals he was making at both of his previous restaurants. I hope the guy can find a place where he can stick around for awhile because he just makes great food.

The Mango Tree in Cocoa Beach has been closed for a number years, but has apparently recently reopened under new management and ownership.  It now seems to be an upscale Italian place.  I have not been...and I am not sure that I am inclined to go, either, as we have a number of good Italian places around town.

I am heading out tonight to a new (to me) place - Bianco's Big League Eatery.  Baseball-themed place.....with burgers that won the last Best of Brevard competition. Sounds like my kind of place.
cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1634
RE: Melbourne, FL 2012/02/15 12:57:43 (permalink)
While I’ve read & heard raves about Bianco’s burgers, we’ve not tried them for a reason that might seem odd…their burgers are too big. This place serves a 10 oz. burger, which I know can have only one of two results; either I’ll waste food (as a burger doesn’t travel well in a doggie bag) or I’ll eat much more than I need or actually want.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 410
RE: Melbourne, FL 2012/02/15 13:56:18 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

Seems like it is about time for my annual update to this thread.

In the previous post, I mentioned that Mezza Luna is now open.  Well, it is now closed.  It's a shame, too.  The owner/chef was really on top of things, or so it seemed to me.  There seemed to be other diners there when I went to eat there, so I am not sure what happened.  For as long as it took them to open, and as much work went into that remodel, I am really surprised that it didn't last.  The space is now occupied by a Greek restaurant.    In my mind, that leaves Pane e Vino as the best Italian in Melbourne.

Matt's Casbah is open in downtown and it appears to be cranking!  On the occasions when I drive past there, they surely seem to be busy.  I have friends who go for the bar scene, abandoning their former hangouts, such as City Tropics on the beach.  It's been awhile since I have gone there to eat, but I have never had a bad meal prepared by Matt.

Our town's little ice cream shop - the one where anyone who has lived here for any length of time has countless stories of warm nights - just completed a remodel.  Del's Freeze is back open and operating in their same location for 60+ years.  I have to admit that when I drove by and saw the place boarded up with the dreaded "Under Renovations" sign, I thought we'd lost the old gal.  Del's does soft serve - I wouldn't drive 30 or 40 miles out of your way to go, but it is worth the stop if you are in town.

In my last post, I raved about El Ambia Cubano.  It is now probably my favorite restaurant in town.  For some more information, including photos, you can go here.

I agree 100% about El Ambia Cubano, fantastic food.

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
RE: Melbourne, FL 2012/02/16 12:43:44 (permalink)
cavandre

While I’ve read & heard raves about Bianco’s burgers, we’ve not tried them for a reason that might seem odd…their burgers are too big. This place serves a 10 oz. burger, which I know can have only one of two results; either I’ll waste food (as a burger doesn’t travel well in a doggie bag) or I’ll eat much more than I need or actually want.

The burger was, indeed, large. I ordered the one that was encompassed by two grilled cheese sandwiches. It did make for a nice blend of flavors, but I was only able to eat half. I took the other half home and popped it in the toaster oven for a quick re-heat. It wasn't bad the second time around, but it wasn't as good, either. Fortunately, I tend to order my burgers medium rare, which makes a quick trip through the toaster oven plausible, without fear of drying things out too badly.

I would go back, but it is a heck of a drive for me.
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1512
RE: Melbourne, FL 2012/02/16 17:31:23 (permalink)
I would certainly agree about Rolli's , very unique little place and a very good pork sandwich. Not sure how many branches they have now. They had a little walk up cart on US1 south of Melbourne located in a parking lot in with a gas station and convenience store but I've only been to the one on New Haven.
I used to travel up to Melbourne (live about 60 miles south) about once a week for merchandising at the Toys R Us store but haven't been there since mid December.
I have eaten some pretty fair hot dogs at Mustard's Last Stand and had to try out the last surviving Piccadilly cafeteria near me and also the nearest Hardee's. Had some decent BBQ at Mamaw's.
There looks like a wide selection of choices in Melbourne but unfortunately I have a limited amount of time there and am usually looking for a quick lunch around the New Haven and south area.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Charlie
post edited by ces1948 - 2012/02/16 17:38:52
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1