Melbourne, FL

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rainsux
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
2003/12/14 07:32:52 (permalink)

Melbourne, FL

I'm working in Melbourne for the next several weeks - long days.
Anyone able to recommend something nearby? [not Titusville, Cocoa
or Orlando].

-doug

35 Replies Related Threads

rainsux
    Hamburger
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2003/12/14 14:38:17 (permalink)
    I found a great middle eastern place; Middle Eastern Aromas
    at 3150 South Babcock. Tiny; only five tables and is located
    on the 2nd story of a 1950-ish strip mall. Daughter waits
    on the tables, mother and husband run the register and kitchen.

Also serves as an arab grocery and video rental for the
    local arab community.

-doug
    qwerty79
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2003/12/15 08:51:37 (permalink)
    We always eat at Blueberry Muffin. They have the best breakfast and not surprisingly the best bluberry muffins. I believe it is on A1A
    Some other places are
    -Barnhill Buffet
    -Roadhouse Grill
    -Oceanview Diner
    -A shved ice place in Indiatlantic (The best) on A1A
    I'm not sure about the adresses on these but just look them up in the yellow pages.
    rainsux
    Hamburger
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2003/12/16 11:07:43 (permalink)

Great sushi & shashimi at Thai-Thai ...

-doug
    rainsux
    Hamburger
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2003/12/16 13:50:11 (permalink)
    Great southern cooking at Pop's Casbah is
    located at 2005 South Waverly.

Pork chops, chicken, mac & cheese, stewed
    tomatoes, okra, etc. The make their own
    pies every morning. The peanut butter
    pie was a wonderul sin.

Mon-Tue: 6AM-2:30PM
    Wed-Sat: 6AM-8:30PM

-doug
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3731
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2004/01/05 01:30:01 (permalink)
    Seconds on the shaved ice place. Does that place even have a name? Ask anyone beachside where the shaved ice place is -- and they will point you in the right direction.

Better option for breakfast, IMHO, would be to hop the causeway and hit Eddie's Sunrise Diner on NASA Blvd. (Not far from Barnhill's -- listed above). Don't look for blueberry muffins, but they will make an omlette that would leave your tummy quite full. One of the establishments that has seen a massive improvement since the no smoking law went into effect (not trying to tie the other thread to this one!).

While beachside, if you are a fan of NY-style pizza, there are two competing places not two blocks from one another on A1A. One is right on the boardwalk (Bizarro's -- now a few other, equally good locations across town). Beware, this place is not known for the friendliness of the servers (has sometimes been referred to as the "Pizza Nazi" to all you Seinfeld fans). The other place is practically across the street (maybe 1/4 mi north) -- called Petrillo's. More atmosphere....wider menu. But, the pizza is excellent. And that comes from a NY transplant!

Steve
    rainsux
    Hamburger
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2004/07/12 19:42:05 (permalink)

Pop's Casbah has been an icon in olde Melbourne for ~50 years ...
    and it has closed. It will be missed.

-doug
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2004/07/14 00:09:06 (permalink)
    Pop's has (had) been a downtown Melbourne institution for many years, but it will not be missed by me. My favorite restaurant in all the world is moving in there and remodeling as we speak -- Matt's Tropical Grill (currently located on A1A in Satellite Beach). From what I hear, included in the purchase price was the recipe to Pop's famous Peanut Butter Pie. I understand that they plan to be open for lunch in the fall, and for dinner in the new location by year's end. It will most definitely be a more upscale locale than what Pop's used to be....but, you might check them out. The chef is amazing!

Steve
    rdalem
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2004/12/04 21:02:22 (permalink)
    I just stumbled across this forum whilst searching for a peanut butter pie recipe. I have been a patron of Pop's Casbah since the late '50's when John owned the biz. Always ordered a Kigmy and peanut butter pie for lunch, worked at the "Melbourne Times" newspaper when it was next door to the "Casbah".

Actually glad to hear that Matt's will be moving in altho I have never made it out to Satellite Bch yet.
    TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2004/12/12 23:05:30 (permalink)
    The Burger Inn, drive up style... car service (not a chain)

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2005/07/13 21:05:25 (permalink)
    For anyone else looking for recommendations in the Melbourne area, there is a pretty comprehensive list posted here: http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/a/karma813/brevrest.html

I do not agree with all of the suggestions, but there is enough for you to choose from. Any list that has Red Lobster and Jason's Deli in their "runners up" category immediately loses some credibility with me, but most of their suggestions are not chain-type places. They lean heavy to ethnic varieties of food, which are surprisingly plentiful here. Also, this list is for all of Brevard County, so it may not be all right near Melbourne. I can personally vouch for about a third of the places on here, and I would add a few of my own that they don't list:

The Purple Porpoise: Located at the corner of Eau Gallie Blvd and A1A. Strange sounding name for a psuedo-sports bar joint, but the food is cheap and plentiful and a stone's throw from the Atlantic Ocean. They specialize in seafood, but their wings are pretty darn good, too. It appears as though the Porpoise has also met its demise.

The Mango Tree: Located in Cocoa Beach on A1A. This place should have been listed in their "Upscale" section, as I would easily choose this over the Chart House. The setting for the place is wonderful, as they have an orchid garden on premises where you will undoubtedly see some varieties that you had not previously. The food is exceptional; I can personally vouch for the rack of lamb and the beef tenderloin, but I usually like to see what they have on special before ordering.   This place, too, is no longer with us.  It's a shame.  I have very fond memories.

Petrillo's: Located on A1A in Indialantic. I have now come to grips with this being the best NY-style pizza in the Melbourne area. I still love Bizarro's, but I think this place tops it. Sit down restaurant with genuinely nice people who run the place.

Pane e Vino: Located on Hibiscus, near the Oaks movie theater. This is one of my favorite Italian places locally. They have an on-premise bakery with fresh pastries, breads and desserts. Their menu is standard Italian fare, but I know of no one who has ever left hungry. Their straciatella (Italian egg drop) soup is delicious, as an appetizer -- followed up with a plate of chicken marsala, and you will be stuffed -- all for about $12. On top of that, this is also an iDine/Rewards Network restaurant, so you can also earn miles for eating here!

I have a few more places where I took some photos recently that I will get posted (hopefully today). One I have mentioned before as a favorite and one is completely new - and I have never seen anyone mention it, but it is now in my regular lunch rotation.
    post edited by The Travelin Man - 2010/04/06 01:40:44
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2005/08/21 17:46:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rdalem

I just stumbled across this forum whilst searching for a peanut butter pie recipe. I have been a patron of Pop's Casbah since the late '50's when John owned the biz. Always ordered a Kigmy and peanut butter pie for lunch, worked at the "Melbourne Times" newspaper when it was next door to the "Casbah".

Actually glad to hear that Matt's will be moving in altho I have never made it out to Satellite Bch yet.

Actually, now it looks as though Matt might not be moving in. The last time I drove by the sign proclaiming "Coming Soon: Matt's" had been taken down and a real estate sign put up.

Unhappy news....
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/05/26 14:48:49 (permalink)
    I usually don't post much from around the homestead, but since I have become a little shutterbug with the new camera, I have finally taken some decent shots of some local dining options.

Bonefish Willy's has become my single favorite restaurant in town. For a while, I would go there and think "why don't we come here more often?" So, I started going more often. It is now my default option for when folks are in from out of town or just "hey, where do you want to go for dinner?"

This place doesn't look like much from the outside. Heck, that's a GOOD picture of the joint! It is in a mixed development area along Pineapple Avenue, which runs parallel to US1 to the west and the Indian River to the east. You will pass ramshackle housing, as well as million dollar homes on the way there.

The photo may be a little overexposed, but it gives you the idea of waterfront dining. There is a small indoor dining area, but, if the weather is right, the place to be is on the outside deck, which was recently expanded to offer more seating.

As with any good outdoor seating area, the surroundings are well landscaped, with even a bit of Florida humor thrown in.

Have I mentioned the view? OK, seriously, the view is just a perk. The food would be phenomenal if it were located anyplace - but, it helps to have some nice scenery while you dine.

They offer these crab cakes as an appetizer (2 for ~$9), or as an entree (3 cakes, salad, potato or rice, and veggies for ~$18). I think that the appetizer is a bargain, especially when split (I cannot eat 2 crab cakes AND a meal here...heck, I am not sure that buffetbuster could!). They come served with a tomato-based salsa and remoulade, but these guys can be eaten straight-up with no further adornments.

You're going to have to take my word on this one, because the picture doesn't do this dish justice...but, this is superb. It is called snook bruschetta and is a relatively permanent fixture on the nightly specials board. It is snook, covered with tomatoes, mozzerella, and garlic and served over angel hair pasta. I think it runs about $22, but it is usually enough for two meals. I think I need to get an overhead shot of this one. It was my friend's meal, and I usually don't take pictures of other people's food.

My meal was the equally impressive cajun grouper, which is served covered with a delicious fruit salsa. If you look closely at the photo, you can see the flecks of spice used. The spices give the crust a pleasant, but not overpowering kick. The salsa gives a contrasting sweetness with the pineapple and melon. I also mentioned that I was a big fan of the salsa, so they brought me out an extra little cup on the side - which should probably lead me to mention the quality of the service (or the benefits of being a semi-regular). This dish runs right around $16, but, again, can easily provide two full meals...and you'll want to save room for dessert.

This is some fabulous fish!

When you are about done with your meal, your server will ask about dessert. Given that this is casual Florida dining, the immediate push is for the key lime pie. Heck, in this setting, you would have to expect good key lime pie...and I am sure that it is good. However, the true locals know to pass on the key lime and order their homemade (or, as they claim, and I hate - house-made) apple pie.

If I had this to do over again, I would skip the ice cream - there is just nothing special about it - just basic, store-bought generic stuff. But, the pie....oh, the pie. You can't see it because it is obscured by the overabundance of ice cream, but the pie consists of peel-on Granny Smith apples in a fresh made crust. I think pie runs about $4. I always think that I would like to come here just for dessert and coffee after dining some place else, but I never do that.

Bonefish Willy's is off the beaten path, so to speak - not convenient to the highway, not located along A1A, not in downtown, hard to find - but, if you find your way into Melbourne, this is a can't miss dining spot.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/05/26 16:50:28 (permalink)
    I am so going to steal that sign about surviving those hurricanes..
    I lived in Merritt Island at the time, and it totally sums up all of us that lived in the area...

Didn't Bonefish used to have another name?.. I swear I have been on that outside seating area.....
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/05/26 17:36:25 (permalink)
    Roossy90 - I sent you the full resolution version of the picture, if you want it. This way if you choose to print it or use it as wallpaper, it will look a little better.

I am not aware of Bonefish Willy's going by any other name. I went there about 10 years ago and then hadn't really been back until last year when someone else suggested it for a work outing. The next thing I know, someone else suggested it a few weeks later. It is just on the wrong side of town for me to get to frequently, but I have been making a point of going up there more often.
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/05/26 17:37:45 (permalink)
    @The Travelin Man - regarding the snook bruschetta; I thought it was illegal to serve snook in a restaurant. I lived in Vero Beach for 27+ years and never saw it offered. pb
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/05/26 18:13:00 (permalink)
    One more local joint....and this one, I don't think, has ever been mentioned by others - here, or elsewhere.

Rolli Pork Loin Extraordinaire is a permanent roadside stand on New Haven Avenue in Melbourne. It is on the way from I-95 out to the beach - right across the street from the Melbourne Municipal Golf Course.

Any good Roadfooder knows that a happy anthropomorphic pig is usually a sign of top-notch grub, and Rolli is no exception. As you can tell from the first photo, seating here is pretty limited, so a lot of the business is take-away. There is also a stand-and-eat section on the side of the building, which is usually occupied by a few hungry folks.

Here's the system...

Simple enough...but, what I like is the open kitchen concept. You can see right inside (or you could if I didn't catch such a wicked glare off the glass) and watch your food being prepared. So, what exactly is a "Rolli?" It is the self-proclaimed "Greatest sandwich in the world!" Hey...if you got the goods, why not let people know?

Unfortunately, it is not the best picture, but the pork is well-seasoned loin that is prepared on a rotisserie - again - you can watch it being done. The seasoning, to me, reminds me of a Caribbean influence - it seems to have some elements of a jerk seasoning. I don't really care what it is - it's good. The standard sandwich also comes topped with provolone, onions, peppers, mayo and mustard. If you have ever read any of my posts before, I get the sandwiches with no goo - but, the flavors from just the onions, peppers and cheese makes for a fabulous sandwich.

The Rolli (~$6) is a seriously good sandwich, but, for me, the real reason that this place is now in my regular lunch rotation is because they produce the best hand-cut, fresh-made fries in town! (~$3)

I will periodically bring these back to the office with lunch, and my co-workers know from the aroma that I have been to Rolli - and most of them stop by to steal a fry or two - which is fine, because a "small" cup is more than any one person should eat anyway.

They do make good burgers and a few other things....but, one of my favorites is the very authentic Philly-style cheesesteak sandwich (~$6).

This is made from a full ribeye steak, which is seasoned and then chopped (but not too finely) and mixed with onions and peppers. Add a few slices of provolone, and this makes for pretty good eats.

While I obviously can't make much of a habit of eating such heart-attack inducing foods, I have also discovered fabulous breakfast sandwiches at Rolli, too. One of the things I really miss from living in NY is the morning stop at the deli for a bacon and egg sandwich on a hard roll - a ubiquitous special on Long Island and around the City, too. This is a pretty good specimen...

I have taken a bunch of people from work to Rolli, and each time I go there, I discover something new. On one recent visit, one of my co-workers wanted to order one of their breakfast sandwiches - the Rolli, egg and cheese (~$4). Wow!

Again...this is REALLY good. But, it still doesn't give you a really good idea of just how much food is on this sandwich.

Rolli is located in a former ice cream stand, and they still serve some pretty good and inexpensive soft-serve, too. The place is run by some really good people. The owner is a Johnson and Wales-trained chef, by trade, and has worked in some upscale establishments around town previously. Personally, I am glad that he chooses to show off his culinary expertise with some plebian roadside meals.

ETA 8/23/08 - I just got back from another visit to Rolli and the food and fries are as good as always. I now pretty much get the Rolli, egg and cheese most of the time when I go or the cheese steak. Whenever I have friends in town (or students who have never been) and we go out for lunch, this has been my go-to place to take them. I noticed when I was there today that they had a sign up encouraging people to contact Guy Fieri of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, and it reminded me of a great Rolli story that you guys would appreciate - and perhaps the story that I will email to Guy.

On one of my first visits there, I ordered their burger. They make pretty good hamburgers. I believe that the meat is fresh, and they have cooked it to preferred temperature when I remember to ask! I asked for the burger to be topped with lettuce, tomato - remember, no goo for me. Jay, the owner, who was preparing my food, looked up at me and said "Hey...sorry, I'm out of lettuce." I gave him a hard time about being out of lettuce and think I joked about running down to Publix to pick some up for him. He turns around again and says "Instead of lettuce, how about I throw a couple of slices of Rolli meat on the burger for you?" Hmmmmm....lettuce, a green thing that my body is likely to reject as a foreign object - or PORK? Of course. And, thus was the makings of a fantastic burger - beef, Rolli-style pork, and a tomato slice.

It's a shame that they never added that burger to the menu. I would order it. It should at least be a periodic special. For that matter, for as many people as I have turned on to this place....they should name it after me!

In case anyone is interested, I started a collection of photos in my Flickr account called[url='http://www.flickr.com/photos/81181002@N00/collections/']Dining Around Florida[/url]. It will update automatically as new items are added.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/05/26 18:24:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

@The Travelin Man - regarding the snook bruschetta; I thought it was illegal to serve snook in a restaurant. I lived in Vero Beach for 27+ years and never saw it offered. pb

Unless I am mistaken, it is not locally-caught snook, but rather South American snook. I know that snook fishing is very well-regulated locally, but I had not heard about it being illegal. The next time I am there, I will ask.

They do serve a lot of seafood that is indigenous to the area, though. I have seen cobia, wahoo, and pompano - among others.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/05/31 17:12:16 (permalink)
    quote:

Florida Snook season closed on May 28th and will re-open on Sept 1st.
    I do think that season is only 6 months. It is one of the most protected fish in Florida as far as fishing goes.

You cannot buy or sell snook in Florida.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/05/31 23:30:32 (permalink)
    I am pretty sure that the rule is that you cannot buy Florida snook, and what Bonefish Willy's is serving is South American snook. Like I said, I will ask them when I go there next, but I haven't been since posting this report.
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1620
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/06/01 08:36:20 (permalink)
    Travellin Man,

We stopped going to Bonefish Willy's because we thought that their wines by the glass & draught beer selections were limited & not very good. Have they expanded this at all?
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/06/01 09:39:46 (permalink)
    cavandre - I couldn't tell you. Most of the time when I am there, I order tea. I remember taking a date there some time ago and recall drinking Coronas (bottled), but I don't think that is what you're thinking of in terms of an expanded selection.

One of my "tricks" to keeping restaurant bills down (and therefore allows me to go to more of them) is to pass on the bar selection at most places. I am not saying that I do this 100% of the time, but more often than not.
    Lollipop
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/07/08 12:02:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Travelin Man

Pop's has (had) been a downtown Melbourne institution for many years, but it will not be missed by me. My favorite restaurant in all the world is moving in there and remodeling as we speak -- Matt's Tropical Grill (currently located on A1A in Satellite Beach). From what I hear, included in the purchase price was the recipe to Pop's famous Peanut Butter Pie. I understand that they plan to be open for lunch in the fall, and for dinner in the new location by year's end. It will most definitely be a more upscale locale than what Pop's used to be....but, you might check them out. The chef is amazing!

Steve

Lollipop
    Junior Burger
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/07/08 12:10:52 (permalink)

quote:
    Originally posted by The Travelin Man

Pop's has (had) been a downtown Melbourne institution for many years, but it will not be missed by me. My favorite restaurant in all the world is moving in there and remodeling as we speak -- Matt's Tropical Grill (currently located on A1A in Satellite Beach). From what I hear, included in the purchase price was the recipe to Pop's famous Peanut Butter Pie. I understand that they plan to be open for lunch in the fall, and for dinner in the new location by year's end. It will most definitely be a more upscale locale than what Pop's used to be....but, you might check them out. The chef is amazing! Steve

FYI- Matt's Casbah is slated to open later this year- August-September timeframe. Same great chef, even more great food plus sushi and a friendly bar. Seven days a week, lunch, brunch and dinner. Live music and special events. Not sure about the peanut butter pie though. Lollipop

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/07/16 16:04:23 (permalink)
    quote:

I went back to Bonefish Willy's last night and inquired as to the nature of the snook. Our waiter, an obvious veteran, whom I have seen there on multiple occasions, had clearly been asked about this before.

He told me that they use[url='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_perch']nile perch[/url]. One of the common names listed for Nile perch is, indeed, "African snook." He says that when he offers it, he is usually quick to tell people that it is an African fish, not the locally caught stuff, but I have never had anyone tell me that, who I had not asked. He was very quick to add that the other "chef's specials" that they offer regularly are more-often-than-not locally caught specialties - like cobia, pompano, and swordfish.

No matter what it is....it tastes good. I almost talked myself out of the grouper and into something else, but why mess with success?
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/08/23 16:32:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by qwerty79

We always eat at Blueberry Muffin. They have the best breakfast and not surprisingly the best bluberry muffins. I believe it is on A1A
    Some other places are
    -Barnhill Buffet
    -Roadhouse Grill
    -Oceanview Diner
    -A shved ice place in Indiatlantic (The best) on A1A
    I'm not sure about the adresses on these but just look them up in the yellow pages.

In case anyone still uses this thread as a reference point, Barnhill's, Roadhouse Grill and Ocean View Diner are all no more, and the shaved ice place has (I think) moved across the street near the boardwalk and is now near Bizarro's, Cold Stone and Starbuck's.

As alternatives, Beachside Cafe is steps from where the old Ocean View Diner used to sit - on Fifth Avenue, south side of the road, towards the causeway (across from Skewer's). They do incredible breakfasts and lunch and the food is very reasonably priced. They are one of the next places I need to hit around town to take some photos.

Chain sports bar Duffy's has moved into the old Roadhouse location on Evans Road near the mall. I went there for lunch once - ONCE. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger and an iced tea. The good news - the burger came cooked perfectly to temperature - noticeably pink on a medium order, but they didn't add the bacon. No worries...but, after I paid the bill and left, I noticed that the bartender still charged me for it (after I had brought it to her attention). So, the end result was a $15 bill for a bacon-less cheeseburger, fries, iced tea and a tip for lunch. There is much better out there for significantly less money.

The old Barnhill's building still sits empty - for, what I believe is over a year now.
    Lollipop
    Junior Burger
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/08/24 11:05:13 (permalink)
    Sun Shop Cafe on East New Haven in Historic Downtown Melbourne does great lunches and other daytime f&b, coffees etc. Also wifi, indoor and outdoor seating.
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1620
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2008/08/24 12:19:06 (permalink)
    Anyone hear when Mezza Luna in Eau Gallie is going to open?
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2010/04/06 02:02:53 (permalink)
    Mezza Luna is now open - has been for about a year or so.  It is a regular stop - especially when I have friends in from out of town.  The menu is pretty much the same as the former Bella's in downtown Melbourne, and many of the staff members look pretty familiar, too.  They have a nice outdoor seating area.  For the lunch menu, the chicken parm sub is top notch, but I have never had a bad meal there.

A few other new places...(need to get the camera out when I eat out locally!)

Downtown Melbourne has really undergone a solid rebirth over the last few years.  It used to be that the only viable meal was Meg O'Malley's, which I never found as good as others did.  Firehouse Restaurant is a new steak house that has opened up in the former Austin's Bistro.  It is a little pricey as compared to other restaurants in Melbourne, but I found the steaks to be top notch and the service was very good. 

Not technically IN downtown is a relatively new Cuban restaurant that has opened up right on the river on Melbourne Avenue (one block off of downtown).  El Ambia Cubano seemed to still be working out their kinks on my last visit - but, make no mistake about it - the food is EXCELLENT.  It may now be the best Cuban restaurant in the area.  The service was a little slow - and the place is small, cramped and decorated in a style that wouldn't give justice to the term "chabby chic."  The tables and chairs all seem like they came from various yard sales around town.  Nothing matches!  This is a family owned and OPERATED establishment, with the owner (Alfredo) busing tables and running orders and making sure that everyone is taken care of. His wife waits tables, too.  They offer live music on some evenings - but, I haven't been there for anything but lunch.

For breakfast, a friend recently took me to Friendly Toast Cafe (300 Ocean Ave, Melbourne Beach).  I had their pancakes which were excellent.  Very inexpensive, with a surf theme.  I understand that they also offer homemade muffins, but I have yet to try them.  Friendly Toast gets busy - especially on the weekends - and is only open until 2 pm.  If you are still hungry, they are right across the street from a new location of the above-mentioned Rolli's, too!

Melbourne and the surrounding area really do provide a good number of eating options, considering the size of the town.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Melbourne, FL 2011/05/18 20:37:27 (permalink)
    Seems like it is about time for my annual update to this thread.

In the previous post, I mentioned that Mezza Luna is now open.  Well, it is now closed.  It's a shame, too.  The owner/chef was really on top of things, or so it seemed to me.  There seemed to be other diners there when I went to eat there, so I am not sure what happened.  For as long as it took them to open, and as much work went into that remodel, I am really surprised that it didn't last.  The space is now occupied by a Greek restaurant.    In my mind, that leaves Pane e Vino as the best Italian in Melbourne.

Matt's Casbah is open in downtown and it appears to be cranking!  On the occasions when I drive past there, they surely seem to be busy.  I have friends who go for the bar scene, abandoning their former hangouts, such as City Tropics on the beach.  It's been awhile since I have gone there to eat, but I have never had a bad meal prepared by Matt.

Our town's little ice cream shop - the one where anyone who has lived here for any length of time has countless stories of warm nights - just completed a remodel.  Del's Freeze is back open and operating in their same location for 60+ years.  I have to admit that when I drove by and saw the place boarded up with the dreaded "Under Renovations" sign, I thought we'd lost the old gal.  Del's does soft serve - I wouldn't drive 30 or 40 miles out of your way to go, but it is worth the stop if you are in town.

In my last post, I raved about El Ambia Cubano.  It is now probably my favorite restaurant in town.  For some more information, including photos, you can go here.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1