Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's....

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 90 of 90
Benhamid

• Total Posts: 4
RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Sun, 02/8/09 2:00 PM (permalink)
That was a surprise to read that someone remembers the 38th Street location of the Patricia Murphy's Candlelight Restaurant and about the Bartender who's name was ''Chuck.''  Lunches were kind of murder since they all came in big groups and wanted to leave at the same time.
The waiters and waitresses dropped their food checks at one time and expected to be completed in a hurry. The bad handwriting of the employees was a nightmare.
At the 49th Street location all the employees had a much better handwriting than the the bunch at 38th Street and Madison and I did let them know about it which they hated me for.
Yes, Patricia Murphy did spent lot's of time at the 38th Street Restaurant and she must have felt more comfortable there and the parking the huge Cadillac was less of a hassle.

Gena212

• Total Posts: 1
    RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Tue, 08/25/09 4:57 AM (permalink)
    Benhamid

Patricia Murphy's Candlelight Restaurant 12-14 East 49th Street NY.
    I used to work for this great place and still have wonderful memories about it. I knew Miss Patricia Murphy, Mr. John Rogers, Mr. Camilucci and his wife Monica going back to 1964. Miss Pearl Graziul age 93 is still in touch and so is Mrs.Hannelore Vogler- Abrahim.
    We are trying to get in touch with former employees of PM's and hope with success.
    I made copies of all 18 pages of the subject Patricia Murphy's Candlelight Restaurant and send it to Pearl and Hannelore in New York.

Hi!  How did I wind up on this site ? Can't believe it!  I worked at the 49th Street Patricia Murphy's, too, in the early 70's and I remember many of the people you mentioned and many others so well!  I was in high school - it was my first job ever and I started as a popover girl....then cashier. I remember Hannah vividly!  She was the best!  She would call me shatszi (she called everyone shatszi) and sometimes she was hostess when I was doing cash.  That was fun. And I remember Abrahim was a waiter for a while when I was full time summer.  Mr. Camilucci I remember very well, really liked him, and he helped me alot -The nightmare of the busload of "singles"  coming down that staircase with individual checks!  Thanks for opening the second cash drawer, Mr. Camilucci!  Monica was a beautiful a part time waitress back then.  How are they all?  I would love to share the news.  I'm Marian and my sister Janet first worked there too as a cashier as did lots of our friends.  Eventually, we migrated to One Fifth Avenue.  Do you remember Paul, the chef? So many memories - the original waiters: John & Jimmy....I can't remember all the other names right now.  I remember Mr. Rogers , too, but didn't see him as much. 

[code][/code]

rsimko

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Wed, 07/14/10 5:37 PM (permalink)
      Hello Everyone
      I am glad to see this site and pleased to see the comment being made about Patricia Murphy's.  I have heard many stories about this wonderful place from my great aunt as you may know her as "PEARL GRAZUIL".  Many times while visiting or talking to her on the phone she goes back to the good times and friends she made while work for a wonderful boss.
      It sad to say that as of 07/13/10, Pearl has passed away at the age of 95.  However, I do recall seeing the 18 pages that someone forward on to her over the years about Patricia Murphy.  She had a wonderful life and enjoyed every moment of it. 

Hoping all of you that worked or are aware of who she is can just keep her in your heart.

Best memories anyone can listen to came about this restaurant.
      If anyone would like to get in touch with me concerning Pearl, you can email me at mycat927@aol.com

Thanks
      Rose

CLD50S

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Thu, 07/29/10 12:48 AM (permalink)
        Pop in

What fun to read that so many people share such fond childhood memories associated with a single restaurant. I went to the Yonkers location at Christmas time in the '60's, and it is one of my treasured memories with my grandmother and mother. I remember the live animal nativity outside in the front of the restuarant and even more exciting for a little girl, the Princess sitting on a throne as you entered. I too recall the excellent popovers and Shirley Temples.
        I logged in to let you all know that there is a Patricia Murphy's cookbook out there. I saw one, perhaps ten years (perhaps more) ago at a used bookstore in connecticut called Whitlock's Bookbarn. I went there recently and they did not have it, but, it is out there somewhere.

I was the Fairy Princess sitting in a sleigh using a "magic wand" to wave over children who made wishes for Christmas 1958. I also was the White Orchid on the Patricia Murphy carousel in the New York Flower Show in 1959, and I have written an article about my wonderful experience that I would love to get published. Anyone have any ideas where I could do that?
        <message edited by CLD50S on Thu, 07/29/10 12:57 AM>

docr-1116

• Total Posts: 3
          RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Fri, 08/20/10 2:09 AM (permalink)
          CLD50S

Pop in

What fun to read that so many people share such fond childhood memories associated with a single restaurant. I went to the Yonkers location at Christmas time in the '60's, and it is one of my treasured memories with my grandmother and mother. I remember the live animal nativity outside in the front of the restuarant and even more exciting for a little girl, the Princess sitting on a throne as you entered. I too recall the excellent popovers and Shirley Temples.
          I logged in to let you all know that there is a Patricia Murphy's cookbook out there. I saw one, perhaps ten years (perhaps more) ago at a used bookstore in connecticut called Whitlock's Bookbarn. I went there recently and they did not have it, but, it is out there somewhere.

I was the Fairy Princess sitting in a sleigh using a "magic wand" to wave over children who made wishes for Christmas 1958. I also was the White Orchid on the Patricia Murphy carousel in the New York Flower Show in 1959, and I have written an article about my wonderful experience that I would love to get published. Anyone have any ideas where I could do that?

Try the New Yorker, also the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. The latter might be interested because she started in Brooklyn Heights. I am a financial and travel writer, and if you wish, you can send me the article to look over. I will give you suggestions, if need be, to make it an appealing piece for these publications.

docr-1116

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Sun, 09/5/10 3:27 PM (permalink)
            Patricia Murphy
            The couple ordered coffee at the end of their meal. “I’m sorry,” said the woman, “but we just opened and do not have enough coffee cups for all our customers. A table has just left and their cups will be washed momentarily and your coffee will be right out.”

It was Patricia Murphy’s Candlelight Restaurant’s first night in business. The woman was Patricia Murphy. The couple were my parents. They were her fourth or fifth set of customers. It was near the end of the Great Depression, 1935 or 36. It was Brooklyn Heights. Over the years they became relatively good friends, and Lorraine Murphy’s husband became one of my brother’s godfathers.

In those early years into the late 1940’s, Patricia or Lorraine were always at the front door greeting and sitting their patrons. On busy Sundays, they both worked. One spring they opened the back yard for dining. The place was always packed on Sunday afternoons, upstairs, downstairs and in the back.

The restaurant was next to the First Presbyterian Church. Back then, New York City law prohibited a restaurant next to a church from serving liquor on Sundays. Patricia got an exemption that allowed her to serve liquor after 1:00 pm.
            It could also have been this: a restaurant in such a location could not serve liquor at all, and she got an exemption so the restriction applied only on Sunday.

Either way, I remember their telling customers when they came in that they could not have drinks. For the most part, her customers did not care. She never had much of a drinking crowd. It was a restaurant, not a bar. When people did drink, it was usually in the lounge which was more of a waiting area used when the place was busy. Rarely were people in it otherwise. Patricia Murphpy’s was not a “hang out” joint.

The sisters were English. Her mother gave Patricia money to come to New York to take violin lessons. I never understood why she did not stay in London for that.

She did not spend a single cent on lessons and immediately opened a restaurant with the handful of bucks she had.  It was a hit or miss situation that would show results immediately. There was no money to sustain it in a slow start. And as we know, she hit. And, yes, she did have candles—at night.

All the staff was male Pilipino. I recall that she hired them because she found them reliable and clean. And also because they had a hard time finding jobs in the city.

All male Pilipino, except, of course, for the Popover Girl. She was White Anglo-Saxon. I remember when I was just a little kid, five or six years old, having a crush on the girls who were maybe 13 or 16. They were always beautiful and Ivory-snow clean.

As most of you know, the popovers came into the dining room piping hot and steaming in a straw basket lined and covered in a red and white checked, cotton napkin. Us three brothers swilled these things down very quickly. We could not wait till she made the rounds of the tables, each time starting at a different section when she came out of the kitchen, so we asked her to stop at our table first each time. It got so she gave us two to start with so she could get to other customers. On some rounds she would skip us completely. I would wave my hnad to get her attention to no avail. We were competitive eaters.

Butter would melt right into them, ooze out and dribble down our chins as we ate them. They were served with apple butter. Apple butter is not commonly found now or then.

The flavor of apple and spices on the hot popovers played across the tongue and swirled up the nostrils. It was pure heaven. The popovers were a big crowd pleasure. It was the Candlelight’s signature dish, and it was not even a dish. It demonstrates the power of food because it is what everyone thinks of who dined at the Candlelight. It might be the reason people went there. You could get good food anywhere, but only the Candlelight had popovers. When she opened her second and third restaurants in Manhattan, the apple butter people must have made a fortune.

Occasionally, mother would make popovers at home and serve them with apple butter. But they never seemed the same as at Patricia Murphy’s. 

The Candlelight had homemade peppermint ice cream—pink, with pieces of candy cane. A big hit. It outsold all other flavors.  We would have seconds with chocolate sauce and sometimes take a container home, which would be gone before bedtime.

It also had meringue glace for desert. This was a high-end item in those days. Her meringues were swirled and donut-shaped. Occasionally, she or her brother-in-law would take us back into the kitchen where we would taste ice cream as it came out fresh from the churner and the meringues as they came hot out of the oven.

The Candlelight was where we took mom and grandma for mother’s day. They both would wear corsages with those big orchids that Patricia Murphy became so famous for years later.

Occasionally, we would go to the one in Manhasset on our way farther out on the island. Or take a special trip to the one in Westchester to see the gardens and the hot houses filled with orchids.  The line on Sunday could be horrendous in either place.

Mom would tell the hostess we were friends of Pat’s and she would look at us with the knowing, penetrating look of someone who knew we were lying. She would phone her to prove this to herself and us. When she hung up she would take us immediately into the dining room to a table by the window. Most of the time, I would have the duck. I can almost smell and taste it now. When I was in the city, it would be the London Broil.

The restaurants went downhill after she died because no one could care as much as she did about how they were run.  Whoever ran the places let the quality slide—across the board. I suppose, because like some many people who do this, it was because they thought customers would not notice. They did. And the places closed, one by one. Shuttered. In Manhasset, plywood covered the windows—a sure sign of restaurant death.

In Brooklyn Heights the Candlelight was taken over by a man who had to remove the name Patricia Murphy from its maroon canvas awning. He did so by cutting it out and leaving a long whole in it. It made the place look cheap and junky. In time, he closed. And not without reason.

After she opened her restaurants in Manhattan, Pat and Lorraine were rarely in the Heights greeting people at the door. For me, it was then that it began to go downhill.  My guess is the food remained the same. What changed for me is we no longer got a hug and a kiss when we came in the door.

CLD50S

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Mon, 09/6/10 2:07 PM (permalink)
              Impressive!

CLD50S

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Mon, 09/6/10 2:09 PM (permalink)
                Amazing!

davidkn2001

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Sun, 10/31/10 1:23 PM (permalink)
                  I had purchased a box of old 35MM slides that had come from an estate sale.  In the slides was this photo of the floral clock at the Patricia Murphy's in Manhasset.  The date stamp on the slide was August 1962.  It's difficult to see, but the flowers below the clock spell out "Patricia Murphy's Restaurant, Manhasset L.I."  (I had to shrink the photo to a very small size to fit this post, but can email the normal size to anyone who'd like to see it.) 
                  Attached Image(s)

docr-1116

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Mon, 11/1/10 9:09 AM (permalink)
                    Thanks very much. We used to have pictures of us at the place in Brooklyn, but they are long gone in the shuffle of various moves. This photo is a nice touch to the forum.

It appears this thread has become a memorial service that never was for the Candlelight and Patricia Murphy.

Table4Three

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Tue, 12/21/10 2:05 PM (permalink)
                      I realize I am writing this a couple of years after most of the posts.  However, I came across a copy of "Glow of Candlelight," Patricia Murphy's 1961 book, and have become fascinated with the life of this lady.  The restaurants must have been spectacular.

Does anyone know what became of her in her later years? I understand the restaurants are long gone, and that the company ownership was transferred in the 1970s.  Did she retire to "Kinsale," her 27-acre property in Stuart, Florida?  Does the place still exist, and where was it?  Seems as though it was on the coast, or on one of the rivers.  Just wondering, as my great-aunt had a beautiful home there and I wonder if they knew each other.  

She must have been quite an interesting person.  Thanks for any information you might have.  And yes - the popover recipe is GREAT!!

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                        RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Thu, 12/23/10 3:31 PM (permalink)
                        It is so nice to see this topic revived. I was talking with my sister on Thanksgiving, having wonderful memories of PM .... over 50 years ago! What an icon!

EileenFitz

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Fri, 01/14/11 8:03 AM (permalink)
                          Benhamid

Patricia Murphy's Candlelight Restaurant 12-14 East 49th Street NY.
                          I used to work for this great place and still have wonderful memories about it. I knew Miss Patricia Murphy, Mr. John Rogers, Mr. Camilucci and his wife Monica going back to 1964. Miss Pearl Graziul age 93 is still in touch and so is Mrs.Hannelore Vogler- Abrahim.
                          We are trying to get in touch with former employees of PM's and hope with success.
                          I made copies of all 18 pages of the subject Patricia Murphy's Candlelight Restaurant and send it to Pearl and Hannelore in New York.

Hi,
                            I used to work there also and was so happy to come across this site as it brings back many memories.
                          I worked at  Patricia Murphy's Candlelight Restaurant, East 49th Street NY. and remember working with Mr. John Rogers and Mr. Camilucci..   I worked in both the New York restaurant and in the Florida restaurant.  I would love to get in touch with other co-workers from so many years ago.  Please put my name on your list.
                          Thank you

Candace Maffei

Re:Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Sun, 02/13/11 12:35 AM (permalink)
                            What a wonderful walk down Memory Lane on a cold wintry Saturday evening! Who knew that there would be three pages of posts on the subject! I have enjoyed reading all about Patricia Murphy's.  Now I know that I am not the only one who had the most fantastic childhood memories about the gardens, the honey buns and the peppermint ice cream! So as we continue our walk down Memory Lane.... does anyone remember John Ebersoles' Restaurant in White Plains?  They had a carved wooden trunk in the foyer that was filled with tootsie roll pops, the back of the children's menu was a chart for doing chores for a week at home and I think the children's menus came in blue and pink (?).  They had the best apple brown betty!!

Candace Maffei

Re:Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Sun, 02/13/11 2:14 PM (permalink)
                              And let us not forget Walter's Hot Dog Stand in Mamaroneck.  On a totally different scale than Patricia Murphy's but still nostalgic and a sweet memory from my childhood.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4468
                                Re:Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Sun, 02/13/11 3:16 PM (permalink)
                                Candace Maffei, Welcome to RF.

tonyv

• Total Posts: 2
                                  Re:Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Sun, 02/13/11 3:26 PM (permalink)
                                  I went to Patrica Murphy's in Yonkers, for my communion lunch back in 1967.

Does anyone remember another great restaurant in Yonkers, a few miles down Central Ave. towards the Yonkers Raceway called Tropical Acres? That was a great restaurant that must have catered over a 1000 weddings.

They also had great live music.

Candace Maffei

Re:Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Sun, 02/13/11 7:27 PM (permalink)
                                    Thanks for the welcome, Joe.  Being a foodie, it's kinda fun here! 

karenmetrey

Re:Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Mon, 04/25/11 11:20 AM (permalink)
                                      I remember Patricia Murphy's well.  Besides the walking bridge over the pond in the parking lot, and the girls giving out popovers.  There was a gift shop, greenhouse, don't remember orchids, but do remember lots of little cactus.
                                      And around the Easter holidays there would be baby chicks in a little pen for petting in the restaurant entranceway.
                                      My mom bought a hand puppet of squirrel (but I called it mousy) It is really tattered, but much loved and still with me.

1964-1971

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Thu, 11/22/12 8:06 PM (permalink)
                                        Hi all,
                                        As Bob Hope said "thanks for memories." I worked for PM 1964-1971 (closed) at the Westchester (Yonkers) location. Many fond memories of the Crystal Room, Gold Room, Balcony, and Garden Room decor. The Party Room in the garden was wonderful for small parties. A very beautiful place to work.
                                        I especially enjoyed browsing through the Gift Shop and saving my tips to buy the magnificent gifts from around the world. that she had on sale. I still treasure them today.
                                        The holidays were especially decorated with Santa Clause and his reindeer going around in a carousel in front of the man made lagoon. It was so beautiful when it snowed.
                                        QUESTION: Would someone, somewhere, have the "Glow of Candlelight Cookbook"  that would be wiling to sell? I use to have one and do not anymore. I have been looking and Amazon says it is unavailable.
                                        Our traditional Thanksgiving always includes the Baked Acorn Squash with brown sugar and rum that was on the holiday menu.  It was fun reading all of the posts this holiday and reminiscing.
                                        Thanks!

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
                                          RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Thu, 11/22/12 8:32 PM (permalink)
                                          1964-1971

QUESTION: Would someone, somewhere, have the "Glow of Candlelight Cookbook"  that would be wiling to sell? I use to have one and do not anymore. I have been looking and Amazon says it is unavailable.

It doesn't say "Cookbook" but Glow of Candlelight seems to be available here...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/...;condition=collectible

1964-1971

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Thu, 11/22/12 9:03 PM (permalink)
                                            Thank you for the link. I have found this book, it is her autobiography, but not her cookbook. They both have the same name with the exception of Cookbook at the end of the title.

Thanks again for a quick reply.

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
                                              RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Thu, 11/22/12 9:09 PM (permalink)
                                              You're welcome. Good luck in your search.

bronx girl

Re:Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Thu, 11/29/12 8:13 PM (permalink)
                                                My husband and I had our wedding reception at Patricia Murphy's Candlelight in Westchester in June 1957.  It could not have been more perfect -- the setting, the ambiance, the food, the staff.  I'd eaten there with my family frequently in the 1950s, and in the 1960s repeated the family tradition with our children -- especially every Christmas.  Needless to say, my memories are very much alive and very vivid.  We have quite a few pictures as well.  I'm not sure how to post them, but I'd be glad to share if someone tells me how.

dstumpf

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Sun, 03/10/13 12:09 PM (permalink)
                                                  I was reading Glow of Candlelight and was wondering how the Patricia Murphy story ended. Did you find out any more details about the lawsuit, when and how the restaurants closed, and what Murphy's final years were like and when and how she died. I have fond memories of eating at the Fort Lauderdale restaurant when I was a boy visiting my grandparents, who had retired to Lauderdale. Best, Doug

dstumpf

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Sun, 03/10/13 12:13 PM (permalink)
                                                    Like you I read Glow of Candlelight and was wondering how the Patricia Murphy story ended. Did you ever find out? Best, Doug

miraleigh

RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Fri, 04/5/13 2:17 PM (permalink)

I just recently had my parents wedding converted from 8mm to DVD.  Turns out their reception was at Patricia Murphy's in Manhasset, July 1960.  I would be happy to post a couple of brief clips so you can see the inside of PM's (in full color!).  Let me know if this is allowed....

kinsalepm

• Location: Palm City, FL
                                                        RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Sun, 04/14/13 9:05 PM (permalink)
                                                        Table4Three

I realize I am writing this a couple of years after most of the posts.  However, I came across a copy of "Glow of Candlelight," Patricia Murphy's 1961 book, and have become fascinated with the life of this lady.  The restaurants must have been spectacular.

Does anyone know what became of her in her later years? I understand the restaurants are long gone, and that the company ownership was transferred in the 1970s.  Did she retire to "Kinsale," her 27-acre property in Stuart, Florida?  Does the place still exist, and where was it?  Seems as though it was on the coast, or on one of the rivers.  Just wondering, as my great-aunt had a beautiful home there and I wonder if they knew each other.  

She must have been quite an interesting person.  Thanks for any information you might have.  And yes - the popover recipe is GREAT!!

Hi,
                                                        I knew Patricia Murphy well. My family operated the airport in Stuart, FL where she kept her plane. We actually lived at the airport and sometimes on weekends, she would invite me to stay at "Kinsale," her estate in Stuart. Later on, I became her pilot and took her back and forth to Ft Lauderdale several times a week where she ran both Bahia Mar and the restaurant in Deerfield Beach. Did go to the restaurants in NY a couple of times, but most of my experiences were in Florida. Kinsale no longer exists as it and the orchid farms across the street have been subdivided to make residential neighborhoods. Her estate manager's name was Victor DeLeon who was with her as long as I can remember.
                                                        Have many fond memories including always coming home with a quart of lobster salad and a cheesecake after each trip to Ft Lauderdale. Did know John Rogers and quite a few of the staff in the Florida restaurants. Another memory was that St Patricks day was celebrated with equal fervor as Christmas; since she was Irish.
                                                        Patricia Murphy was a very kind, genuine and generous lady. Generous not only with finances, but with love and hugs also. When she passed away, I was still young and, as such, was not impacted too much. Today, however, I realize what a classy lady she was and how much I miss my friend; Patricia Murphy. 
                                                        Would enjoy hearing from anyone who knew her and any of the employees at the Florida Restaurants that I might have bumped into.

Stuartwriter

• Location: Stuart, FL
                                                          RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Sun, 09/29/13 5:07 PM (permalink)
                                                          I write the Historical Vignettes for the Stuart News every Wed.  We are presently working on a story about Patricia Murphy and her Kinsale estate in Port Sewall.  Would love to add your firsthand information.  email:  allgel@bellsouth.net
                                                          Thanks.  ~~ Alice

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                                            • Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                            RE: Memory Lane: Patricia Murphy's.... Sun, 09/29/13 6:24 PM (permalink)
                                                            Her popovers are as memorable as the beignets and chicory coffee in New Orleans...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 90 of 90

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com