Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments

Author
shimane
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Joined: 2003/07/03 13:36:00
  • Location: Falls Church, VA
  • Status: offline
2003/07/03 14:16:35 (permalink)

Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments

Hi,

I lived in Memphis for 6 years and am now in the DC area and miss the bbq from MEM! (though my waist doesn't!).

I wanted to offer up my list of great BBQ places in Memphis and ask for any others you all may love / like / hate.

Some suggestions:

- A&R BBQ - The best pulled pork in the country.
- Payne's BBQ - The best sliced pork.
- Cozy Corner - Cornish game hens
- The BBQ Shop - fried baloney!
- Germantown Commissary - wet ribs
- Interstate BBQ - chopped pork
- Tops BBQ - good everything but nothing great !

Rendezvous and Corky's are good, but for tourists.

A&R is the best pulled pork sandwich you'll ever have. It is on Elvis
Presley Blvd.

Regards.
#1

18 Replies Related Threads

    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    • Joined: 2003/05/26 15:47:00
    • Location: Marvell, AR
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/07/05 15:11:47 (permalink)
    shimane, though I live near Memphis and love barbecue, I seldom eat barbecue when there. I agree with you that The Intersate is great, but have to disagree with you on Rendezvous (think its food has gone bad and its service has become even worse; last time we were there a couple of years ago we walked out after waiting nearly an hour and no sign of service; haven't been & won't be back). I think Corky's is good and never considered it too touristy (Rendezvous is), but the Corky's place to now go is the Corky's buffet at Sam's Town Casino in Tunica (though am sure it would be anathema to some of the roadfooders, I think its wonderful, both quality and variety of its offerings -much better than the original Corky's on Poplar in Memphis- and it is the world's best barbecue bargain when considering food -price equation). Gridley's in Memphis used to be great but the last I knew it had or about had gone out of business and last one I ate at somewhere out in a north Memphis strip mall was really poor. Some of your other places I've heard of, others I haven't, but have never tried any of them. Will surely give A&R a try based on your recommendation. Liketoeat
    #2
    shimane
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Joined: 2003/07/03 13:36:00
    • Location: Falls Church, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/07/05 15:53:00 (permalink)
    Thanks... I guess I'm with you on Rendezvous as well. Gridleys is still around, I believe, but it is not worth finding.

    A&R is the place to be!


    quote:
    Originally posted by Liketoeat

    shimane, though I live near Memphis and love barbecue, I seldom eat barbecue when there. I agree with you that The Intersate is great, but have to disagree with you on Rendezvous (think its food has gone bad and its service has become even worse; last time we were there a couple of years ago we walked out after waiting nearly an hour and no sign of service; haven't been & won't be back). I think Corky's is good and never considered it too touristy (Rendezvous is), but the Corky's place to now go is the Corky's buffet at Sam's Town Casino in Tunica (though am sure it would be anathema to some of the roadfooders, I think its wonderful, both quality and variety of its offerings -much better than the original Corky's on Poplar in Memphis- and it is the world's best barbecue bargain when considering food -price equation). Gridley's in Memphis used to be great but the last I knew it had or about had gone out of business and last one I ate at somewhere out in a north Memphis strip mall was really poor. Some of your other places I've heard of, others I haven't, but have never tried any of them. Will surely give A&R a try based on your recommendation. Liketoeat
    #3
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
    • Location: Knoxville, TN,
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/07/05 16:37:11 (permalink)
    Avoid Rendevous. they are living off yesterdya's wind. Take it from me as I was there and the food was awful. Food was cold and the ribs were dry and chewy. They ain't got it any more. So sorry.

    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    #4
    rxhill
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Joined: 2003/03/03 07:03:00
    • Location: Columbia, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/07/16 07:47:09 (permalink)
    I recently visited family in Memphis with my girlfriend from Baltimore. She wanted to eat BBQ every day. We ate at McLards in Hot Springs and at Corky's on Poplar in Memphis. I had the tamale dishs at both and she had pulled pork sandwiches at both. The tamale dish at McLards is far superior to the frozen entree look of the one at Corky's. But, the BBQ at Corky's was one of the most tender I had ever tasted (yes, I snuck a bite). So, for BBQ in Memphis, to me, Corky's is still a good choice.
    #5
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    • Joined: 2001/08/09 17:06:00
    • Location: North Wilkesboro, NC
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/07/16 08:57:28 (permalink)
    Interstate and Corky's even serve up first rate Q at the Memphis airport. There is always a long "que for Q" at the Interstate counter, and it is always worth the wait. I will pass by Corky's to get in line at Interstate.
    #6
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    • Joined: 2003/07/01 01:25:00
    • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/08/17 03:38:17 (permalink)
    Corky's is good but my favorite Q is Tom's. Run by a bunch of old black ladies using real wood and a lot of love. I haven't been to Memphis in 2 years but have a good shot at going this fall. I really need a god BBq and catfish fix.

    MikeS
    #7
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    • Joined: 2000/10/23 05:15:00
    • Location: Baltimore, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/08/18 03:14:51 (permalink)
    shimane, what's your take on Red Hot and Blue in the DC area?
    #8
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    • Joined: 2001/08/09 17:06:00
    • Location: North Wilkesboro, NC
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/08/18 08:28:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

    shimane, what's your take on Red Hot and Blue in the DC area?

    Red Hot & Blue in Cary, NC was great when I lived there prior to 2000, but I ate at the one in Jackson, Mississippi last month and have had better food on airplanes.
    #9
    shimane
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Joined: 2003/07/03 13:36:00
    • Location: Falls Church, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/08/18 09:30:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

    shimane, what's your take on Red Hot and Blue in the DC area?


    It is actually my favorite place in the area. Funny thing is I used to live in DC before I moved to Memphis and loved R,H, and B years ago... now I enjoy it just as much. I go to the one in Arlington at Clarendon mostly so I can't speak for the entire chain. I do know that they have consolidated over the past few years after a growth spurt.
    #10
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    • Joined: 2002/04/29 11:51:00
    • Location: North Chelmsford, MA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/08/18 12:35:18 (permalink)
    I know Shimane, that this post is about Memphis, but what is your opinion about CapitalQ right there in DC near the MCI Center and Chinatown.
    My Fiancee and I had wonderful BBQ there, especially boneless smoked turkey breast.
    DaveM
    #11
    shimane
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Joined: 2003/07/03 13:36:00
    • Location: Falls Church, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/08/18 15:15:50 (permalink)
    I've heard that it has great Beef Brisket (which is Texas style vs. pork Memphis style). I'm inching to check it out. Thanks !

    quote:
    Originally posted by DaveM

    I know Shimane, that this post is about Memphis, but what is your opinion about CapitalQ right there in DC near the MCI Center and Chinatown.
    My Fiancee and I had wonderful BBQ there, especially boneless smoked turkey breast.
    DaveM
    #12
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    • Joined: 2003/06/28 20:22:00
    • Location: Jackson, TN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/08/25 22:31:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by shimane

    Hi,

    I lived in Memphis for 6 years and am now in the DC area and miss the bbq from MEM! (though my waist doesn't!).

    I wanted to offer up my list of great BBQ places in Memphis and ask for any others you all may love / like / hate.

    Some suggestions:

    - A&R BBQ - The best pulled pork in the country.
    - Payne's BBQ - The best sliced pork.
    - Cozy Corner - Cornish game hens
    - The BBQ Shop - fried baloney!
    - Germantown Commissary - wet ribs
    - Interstate BBQ - chopped pork
    - Tops BBQ - good everything but nothing great !

    Rendezvous and Corky's are good, but for tourists.

    A&R is the best pulled pork sandwich you'll ever have. It is on Elvis
    Presley Blvd.

    Regards.
    #13
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    • Joined: 2003/06/28 20:22:00
    • Location: Jackson, TN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/08/25 22:51:41 (permalink)
    If you are only able to stop at one bar-b-q place in Memphis it would have to be the Cozy Corner! No other pit in West Tn. or surrounding area has the quality of barbeque that they produce everyday. The ribs, bologna, cornish hens and beef are the best.There is an article this month in Southern Living about this fine establishment. I have been eating there for many years and have tried all the "big name" pits im the area but always come back to the Cozy Corner. If you want the real deal you have to go there. It is run by one of the nicest families you could ever meet. It is located downtown on North Pkwy. near the Pyramid.
    #14
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    • Joined: 2003/04/02 10:55:00
    • Location: washington, DC
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/09/12 09:03:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by shimane

    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

    shimane, what's your take on Red Hot and Blue in the DC area?


    It is actually my favorite place in the area. Funny thing is I used to live in DC before I moved to Memphis and loved R,H, and B years ago... now I enjoy it just as much. I go to the one in Arlington at Clarendon mostly so I can't speak for the entire chain. I do know that they have consolidated over the past few years after a growth spurt.


    Red, Hot and Blue was supposedly modeled on Corky's. I will be flying into Nashville and then driving to Paducah, KY next month on business. I know there's a Corky's in Nashville, and I'm wondering if there is also an Interstate in Nashville or the surrounding area.
    #15
    Tom-Fl
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    • Joined: 2003/08/19 08:14:00
    • Location: Satellite Beach,Fl, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/09/12 09:43:14 (permalink)
    I think the Interstate is still open in Nashville,but haven't heard anything about it for awhile.

    If you are in Nashville,there is a Corky's-just like in most cities of 100,000 in the south.
    It is no worse than the other national chains and a little better than some.

    Now most of the area competition cooks and bbq judges might suggest you try Hog Heaven on 27 th ave,Whitt's on Harding,Rippie's,maybe Jack's on Trinity Lane,or even Mary's on Jefferson,or Cantrell's,or Crow's.

    Tom
    #16
    sauceman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 184
    • Joined: 2003/03/13 08:24:00
    • Location: Johnson City, TN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/09/12 12:58:40 (permalink)
    Opinion from a barbecue lover on the other end of Tennessee:

    If I had one day in Memphis, I'd hit The Cozy Corner and Payne's.

    Fred Sauceman
    Johnson City, Tennessee
    #17
    The-Porcus
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    • Joined: 2003/10/04 17:02:00
    • Location: Cambridge, MA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/10/04 18:23:10 (permalink)
    Northwest of Memphis, indeed about 2000 miles northwest of Memphis, grows a small BBQ restuarant deep in the heart of chic and pouty health-conscious Vancouver, BC (Canada). It shows suitable deference to its Tennessee forbears by being called Memphis Blues. I lucked into one of the nights this relatively new establishment was trying on slow roasted beef rib bones. Or___smic. Apparently the co-owners kicked around Memphis and other southern BBQ meccas for quite a while soaking up tips on rubs and smokes and the like before hanging the shingle. I'm sure glad they did.
    #18
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
    • Location: Knoxville, TN,
    • Status: offline
    RE: Memphis BBQ - Suggestions and comments 2003/10/04 18:58:44 (permalink)
    Do not go to Interstate. I was there a few weeks ago. Service was HS and food was sailing off yesterdays wind.

    Paul E. Smith
    #19
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1