Memphis in May

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13499
2008/05/15 05:23:14 (permalink)

Memphis in May

I was having a hard time getting reservations at the down town Marriott a couple of weeks ago and I found out why. I am working Memphis tomorrow and I found out that this week end is the BBQ festival although the entire month of May is a celebration. My status with Marriott allowed me to bump someone and get a room.

I understand that you cannot buy BBQ from the contestants but I suppose that plenty of food will be available???

Any suggestions from previous visitors to the contest???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

13 Replies Related Threads

drbbq
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Memphis in May 2008/05/15 07:29:53 (permalink)
    Most of the teams have big "private" parties on Thursday and Friday, but they always take in new friends. The trick is to become a new friend. The best plan is to hang around during the day and help move a cooler or fix a fence and engage someone that befriends you and invites you to their party. Then you'll become friends with their neighbors and so on. Come Friday night when everyone floods the park the teams have no choice but to put up barriers and many even have security guards to keep the crowd at bay. But you'll be an invited guest by then. If you're a cute girl, or have one with you this is all much easier to accomplish.

Saturday you can expect to be shunned by all the teams because they are involved in judging all day and that's what they really came for. There are vendors selling BBQ and it's OK but you'll have a much better time if you make some friends earlier in the week.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    RE: Memphis in May 2008/05/15 12:11:00 (permalink)
    I went twice. Once with an invite to a tent and once without. Sadly the invite time, the BBQ was mediocre.

Go. Visit. Maybe catch some music. Get a poster as a keepsake. Then eat some good Memphis food, such as Gus's.

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Memphis in May 2008/05/15 12:29:50 (permalink)
    Paul,

Stop by the Super Smokers cook site and ask for Fast Eddy. Introduce yourself and tell him RibDog told you to stop by. Get him to show their pellet smokers and maybe he will invite you back for some food.

John
    susanll
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: Memphis in May 2008/05/15 13:07:49 (permalink)
    Paul, make sure you take along a pair of galoshes. We have had rain the last three days and it is very WET!

Also, check out this blog. It may give you some ideas.

http://www.commercialappeal-web.com/mim/
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Memphis in May 2008/05/15 14:00:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

Paul,

Stop by the Super Smokers cook site and ask for Fast Eddy. Introduce yourself and tell him RibDog told you to stop by. Get him to show their pellet smokers and maybe he will invite you back for some food.

John

I will do that. I am not looking for a freebie but I appreicate the advice.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Memphis in May 2008/05/15 16:23:13 (permalink)
    No problem Paul. Fast Eddy is a really nice guy. He is the person who designed my pellet smoker and is always happy to tell you about the smokers. I sent him an email that you might stop by.

John
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Memphis in May 2008/05/16 07:23:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by susanll

Paul, make sure you take along a pair of galoshes. We have had rain the last three days and it is very WET!

Also, check out this blog. It may give you some ideas.

http://www.commercialappeal-web.com/mim/

Thanks for the website. I am on my way and I will enjoy the BBQ. I will buy the peoples choice ticket for an extra $4.00. The last time I visited the contest was 25 years ago.

Paul E. smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Memphis in May 2008/05/16 08:06:36 (permalink)
    If you get a chance try to travel over to the Cozy Corner near the Pyramid ( I believe it is on North Parkway) and try their barbequed cornish hen and other great food. This is a true family owned shop that has been there a long time.It is good eating and a great experience.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Memphis in May 2008/05/16 15:34:09 (permalink)
    Paul, I just got a email from Fast Eddy and he said to definitely stop on by. Like I said, he is a very nice guy.

Hope you enjoy it.

John
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Memphis in May 2008/05/16 16:44:41 (permalink)
    Paul,

Please tell Eddie that John A from Daytona Beach said hello and when the heck is he going to get that pellet grill/smoker to market? If he's doing chicken on it beg, borrow, or steal a piece. (Kidding, if he's cooking he will be glad to give you a sample).

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Memphis in May 2008/05/17 15:32:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

Paul, I just got a email from Fast Eddy and he said to definitely stop on by. Like I said, he is a very nice guy.

Hope you enjoy it.

John

I did the BBQ thing in Memphis and it was very nice and very tiring to walk all around it with all the super nice set ups. Some of them were three stories tall. Very elaborate with very nice smokers.

I met Fast Eddie and as indicated, he was a very nice person and I also met Terry Black, President of Super Smokers. I think I understood that they had won 3 of the top 4 BBQ events in the USA????

He showed us his smoker and I got some great pics. I will send them to The Mayor and hopefully he will post them for me.

I was exhausted after the huge walk around the area. I went back to the hotel and took a nap and then went to Beale St. where I stayed until 1:00AM. It is a blast. That street keeps getting better every year.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Memphis in May 2008/05/19 06:39:28 (permalink)
    I did not stay for the Saturday event. I understand that you can pay extra and qualify for samples at some of the contestants.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Iwanago
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Memphis in May 2008/05/19 17:32:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I did not stay for the Saturday event. I understand that you can pay extra and qualify for samples at some of the contestants.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Hello Roadfood,

I also had the opportunity to attend the Memphis in May. What an experience! A lot of walking but was able to appreciate the pride taken by the sponsors and booth owners of their individual booths on show. Thanks Sundancer for introducing me to Fast Eddy and the owner of Super Smokers. I learned a tremendous amount of knowledge about BBQ and I hope the Super Smokers team achieved their goal for the best or at least one of the 5-10 top smokers. Maybe in the future I can also attend the Jack Daniels event in Lynchburg and/or the Houston BBQ event.

To recap the total experience, if you have never been to Memphis, do not miss Beale St. And if you head to Beale St., make sure you go by Dyers. I was introduced to Dyers a few years ago when myself, Poverty, Al, Janet, and Sundancer visited Beale St. The burger and fries were worth it again. Now I know why Iwanago!

Iwanago!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1