Menudo

Author
naxet76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 351
2007/03/19 13:42:57 (permalink)

Menudo

ooh, I hadn't eaten menudo in a while and I had a nice bowl of it yesterday for breakfast with my mom. I wanted to order a large bowl but since she was paying it didn't seem right to order a larger bowl. It wasn't too spicy and had a nice flavor. The day before I had two barbacoa tacos with a can of Big Red...what a nice combination. I typically just makes eggs or oatmeal for breakfast but when I visit my family back home, it's always heavy, fattening, diabetes-causing meals.

16 Replies Related Threads

BunglingBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/19 14:11:13 (permalink)
    I had menudo once, ordered for me, and NOT knowing what the ingredient was. After tasting it (well, actually after eating about half of it) my host decided to inform me what if was made from.

Even though I thought that it tasted okay, when I found out what it was, I had to excuse myself and throw up in the bathroom.

Guess that I'm just a culinary wimp .

I suppose that there is some psychology involved in eating "exotic" foods. But TRIPE is a bit too "exotic" for me.

Personally, I think that if one uses enough spices and other added ingredients, even pork anuses would taste good. But, of course, that's just my humble opinion
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/19 14:25:18 (permalink)

Menudo is an outstanding cure for a nasty weekend hangover. It has worked for me many times. I love the stuff...but only when the effects of a long night are causing me severe discomfort.
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/19 14:39:25 (permalink)
    well Bungling Bill, it is an aquired taste I guess. I mean, this is what all kids of mexican descent are brought up on:
    menudo (made from the inside of a cow's stomach), barbacoa (face or cheek meat), beef tongue (pretty much served the same as barbacoa), tamales (every grandma who REALLY knows how to make them has a pig's head boiling in a large pot on their stove), brains (called "cesos" in spanish), sweetbreads (called "mollejas"), and tripas (which, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, are intestines deep fried in a large pot outside on an open fire). I'm not too crazy about brains and as for tripas, I really have to be in a mood for them.

Sorry to hear you weren't able to truly enjoy your bowl of menudo!
    BunglingBill
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/19 14:42:40 (permalink)
    I guess that since I don't drink, I have never needed a cure for a "hangover".

However, I am happy that menudo is an effective antidote for those folks who DO need it.

On the other hand, "tripe" REALLY does not appeal me to me as a food, thank goodness.

I still have to wonder whether it (tripe) was really intended for humans to ingest.

Of course, that's just my humble opinion!
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/19 15:13:52 (permalink)
    Not sure if I've eaten menudo, but think I did as a child. My very vague memory is that I liked it, as I know I liked posole, as I do most New Mexican foods. The funny thing is that I simply can't abide chitlins, and I'm from the South and only later lived in the Southwest.

On the other hand, I'll try almost any food once. Nothing alive (viz. Bourdain's cobra heart!), few things raw, liver in most forms.
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/19 15:17:49 (permalink)
    Don't forget to watch Bizrre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. I saw an episode this weekend where he went to Morroco and ate this putrid, rotten meat type thing that was preserved in it's own fat. He could only eat two bites before he almost passed out from the smell!!!!
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/19 15:23:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by naxet76

well Bungling Bill, it is an aquired taste I guess. I mean, this is what all kids of mexican descent are brought up on:
    menudo (made from the inside of a cow's stomach), barbacoa (face or cheek meat), beef tongue (pretty much served the same as barbacoa), tamales (every grandma who REALLY knows how to make them has a pig's head boiling in a large pot on their stove), brains (called "cesos" in spanish), sweetbreads (called "mollejas"), and tripas (which, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, are intestines deep fried in a large pot outside on an open fire). I'm not too crazy about brains and as for tripas, I really have to be in a mood for them.

Sorry to hear you weren't able to truly enjoy your bowl of menudo!

Tripas are intestines fried but usually grilled until crispy(after being boiled).

Almost every meat market south of the border has what looks like witches cauldron in the back with a fire under it. That is what is used to make chicharonnes. A deep fried assortment of tripas(intestines), boffes(lungs), carnitas(cubes of meat),higado(liver)and grissle(yummmm).

There is also a hole in the ground where they take beef heads wraped in wet burlap, placed inside a metal garbage can(if you remember those) and buried with embers at the bottom, a piece of sheet metal is placed over the hole, covered with dirt and fire is built on top and the couldron on top of that. Thats how barbacoa is made. Now most use ovens,not the same.

joe
    BunglingBill
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/19 15:34:53 (permalink)
    GEEEEZZZZZ!

NOW I'm getting a hangover . . . and it's NOT from drinking booze!
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3154
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/19 18:52:04 (permalink)
    Mrs MFL and I went out bright and early on St. Patrick's Day to have a traditional Irish Breakfast. When we arrived shortly after 7am, the doorway leading in was packed with celebrators (saw no one dining). We left without a beverage or any food. Mrs MFL said she really was in the mood for something special so I suggested El Rey, our local Mexican supermarket which has dining. I had the menudo and she opted for eggs and chorizo; we both were happy and were set for our afternoon meeting with CSD and a brewery tour.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5422
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/20 00:17:01 (permalink)
    I love a good bowl or 2, no hangover required. Haven't had it in years living in West By God.

MikeS.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/20 08:52:26 (permalink)
    Hey Uncle Mike, want me to describe how good the bowl of menudo was last week at La Bufa in Fontana? Or should I just..... shut my bufadora?
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/20 09:19:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by naxet76

Don't forget to watch Bizrre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. I saw an episode this weekend where he went to Morroco and ate this putrid, rotten meat type thing that was preserved in it's own fat. He could only eat two bites before he almost passed out from the smell!!!!

I saw this too. It's the only one I've seen most of. From the previews, I thought it was going to be very condesending ("oh! Let's see what silly, gross, weird stuff ignorant people all over the world eat"), but it wasn't that way at all. I'm going to try to catch it again.

On topic - I've never had Menudo (sounds like that band's name).
    I don't think Mexican restuarants in Virginia serve it! I like the brains and eggs my grandmother made, so I'd be willing to try cesos.

Cathy, who is going out to a Mexican restaurant tonight and will probably have to settle on Carne Asada.
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1069
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/21 12:22:34 (permalink)
    I'm not one for menudo since we never ate tripe at home.My german grandparents ate liver,tongue,brains and sweetbreads.Grandpa was a butcher and so brought stuff home all the time.
    Grandma daddy said didn't like fixing brains much because of the the work invovled to prepare them for cooking.
    Chicarrones is what you call in english crackings.I have had barbacoa which is good.Most of it around here is beef.Yes they here in the states anyways can't bury the cow's head anymore.Also down in Laredo and the border towns,Barbacoa can also refer to goat as well.By the way,there was a band called Menudo,in fact Ricky Martin was a member of the group years ago.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 533
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/23 21:19:58 (permalink)
    I've eaten menudo a number of times thoughout my life and loved that prepared out at the DuPont refinery I retired from. Two of my Hispanic coworkers are graduates of a Houston area culinary school, as well as both working part time at their brother's Dos Mas Mexican Restaurant in Webster. One of them would prepare the tripe and boil it while the other prepared fresh pico de gallo and chopped lemons. Our friend Helen would prepare her delicious flour tortillas from scratch. Eaten this way the menudo was superb.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5422
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/24 08:37:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

Hey Uncle Mike, want me to describe how good the bowl of menudo was last week at La Bufa in Fontana? Or should I just..... shut my bufadora?

No need to shut anything, menudo isn't something I crave. So there
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: Menudo 2007/03/24 11:26:45 (permalink)
    Jack,
    I have spent many days just off the Bufadora south of Ensenada,BC. Great Bonito fishing off the point there, and fun to watch the spray shoot up the 'spout' from the seaward side.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1