Meringue is Breaking Us Apart!

Author
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
2013/12/09 10:47:48 (permalink)

Meringue is Breaking Us Apart!

I love meringue on pies and banana pudding, the thicker, the better.  The rest of the family would rather have lemon or chocolate “cream” pies with a whipped cream topping.  They assail meringue with disparaging remarks: “tastes like soapsuds,”  “Yuck, that’s old people food” and “why do you have to put that Styrofoam on a perfectly good pie.”  I’m starting to notice that many restaurants around here have switched over from meringue to cream, as well.  Is meringue on the way out?  Should I trade in my family on an older model that still remembers what a delicious chocolate meringue pie tastes like?  Signed, Don’t Harangue the Meringue.

14 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3554
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2013/12/09 11:51:01 (permalink)
    I've only ever liked meringue on lemon pie or baked Alaska, and then if it's more than an inch thick I won't eat it. I don't mind the taste, but it feels like it sticks to my teeth (I've been told more than once that I'm weird). I think the reason most restaurants don't use it is the time and cost involved in making it...plus the part where it has to be made. Whipped cream they can shoot out of a can in five seconds and be done with it.

I am going nowhere near any suggestion about trading in your family, though...that sounds like a can of worms nobody needs to open!
    WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2013/12/09 12:08:18 (permalink)
    I've only had meringue as a kid in the 70s when grandma used to make lemon meringue pies for family get togethers.  She's 98 now and hasn't made a pie in years.  Anymore she sits in the kitchen with a glass or three of port and watches the rest of us put dinner together while harrassing us about what we're doing wrong.  I liked meringue though, or what I remember it to be.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2013/12/09 12:20:42 (permalink)
    I consider it perfect timing when I go to the corner (non-Italian) Deli & see the rice pudding tray full of meringue...

They've been doing things the same exact way for generations (probably around 70 years) & peeps travel from all over for the rice pudding & other old-school selections.

They've probably heard yada yada yada about likes or dislikes a million times but tough nuts. Some think the declaration of not liking something warrants immediate cause for change. I don't think so.

It's a real treat to find this container with bonus meringue...

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2013/12/09 12:28:27 (permalink)
    I only like meringue on my mother's lemon pie. 
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2013/12/09 12:33:50 (permalink)
    Roz will not consume meringue or eggs.  She will tolerate eggs in baked goods though.  I do not prepare it for anything due to her preference.  She can detect eggs almost in anything.  I was at one restaurant and she detected in mac and cheese and another in the potato salad.  She was right on in both products. She is way too picky on her foods.  Meat has to be burn't and numerous other quirks.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2013/12/09 12:43:54 (permalink)
    Paul
    I also do not eat eggs.  That comes from so many, many years of cooking brunches.  I do, however eat them in every other way.  Just not plain eggs.  Roz likes burned meat?  You must have a hard time cooking for her!  It would kill me to "burn" a piece of meat!! 
    love2bake
    • Total Posts : 1422
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2013/12/09 13:33:12 (permalink)
    Meringue is an efficient use of egg whites when making a custard or pudding that uses egg yolks.  I see it as a nice, pretty, and light balance to a rich, creamy filling. (However, I have nothing against whipped cream, either!)  Meringue is fat free, although definitely not sugar free.  Those made with brown sugar in them are a bit tastier than the regular type.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2013/12/09 14:30:45 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

I consider it perfect timing when I go to the corner (non-Italian) Deli & see the rice pudding tray full of meringue...

Now, that's a beautiful picture.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4078
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2013/12/09 15:26:43 (permalink)
    I will not eat any eggs with Spam
    I do not eat eggs cooked in PAM
    I will not eat cooked eggs any way
    For breakfast lunch or holidays
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2013/12/09 17:14:40 (permalink)
    EdSails

I will not eat any eggs with Spam
    I do not eat eggs cooked in PAM
    I will not eat cooked eggs any way
    For breakfast lunch or holidays

Horray!!!!  Another Roadfooder that will not eat eggs!  I don't feel like such a freak now.  Thanks, Ed!! 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2013/12/10 00:18:58 (permalink)
    I can't imagine life without eggs in any of it's wonderful forms.
    Fry 'em, bake 'em, boil 'em, poach 'em, scramble 'em, coddle 'em-=======just don't try to grill 'em!" />" />
    post edited by Foodbme - 2014/07/14 21:32:04
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1739
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2013/12/10 16:02:51 (permalink)
    Treetop Tom

I love meringue on pies and banana pudding, the thicker, the better.  The rest of the family would rather have lemon or chocolate “cream” pies with a whipped cream topping.  They assail meringue with disparaging remarks: “tastes like soapsuds,”  “Yuck, that’s old people food” and “why do you have to put that Styrofoam on a perfectly good pie.”  I’m starting to notice that many restaurants around here have switched over from meringue to cream, as well.  Is meringue on the way out?  Should I trade in my family on an older model that still remembers what a delicious chocolate meringue pie tastes like?  Signed, Don’t Harangue the Meringue.

Dear boy.....in this age of "we must encompass all tastes regardless of how we might view them", the solution is...........smaller pies......one of each...I'll sit on your side of the table!
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1739
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2013/12/10 16:08:05 (permalink)
    BTW..........I'm in the "NO DAMN EGGS FOR ME" camp as well...ok in something else or something like meringue or a soufflé....but those naked lil chicky things that folks do unspeakable things to with heat...............bleahhhhhhhhh!

And in my years a personal chef, it was a challenge to present a breakfast that others loved and I hated!  Even the smell of boiled eggs gets to me
    Barbarainnc
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re:Meringue is Breaking Us Apart! 2014/07/14 13:58:36 (permalink)
    I have a meringue recipe that is wonderful:
    Put 3 egg whites and a pinch of salt in a stand mixer with the wire whip, whip til you have soft peaks. Add a 7 oz jar of Kraft Marshmallow Crème and whip til  you have stiff peaks. Place on your pie or what ever and bake at 350* for 15 min or so until golden brown.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1