Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Messin' with Texas

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 107
mar52

• Total Posts: 7590
Re:Messin' with Texas Mon, 06/4/12 4:15 PM (permalink)
Loving your report as always.

I'd like to chime in on the elote.

Elote at first was the term for corn on the cob.  It morphed somewhere to also include the bowl of corn kernels.

I've had the elote cob and bowl in Baja California. The difference was world's apart.  The cob is roasted corn, slathered with mayonnaise then doused with lime juice, chili powder and Cojita Cheese which is a sharp cheese similar to parmesan.  Some places also squirt it with a liquid hot sauce.

The bowl of elote I had in Tijuana was a bowl of canned corn kernels topped with a dollop of mayonnaise, squirted with lime juice and topped with the Cojita and chili powder.  Not really good at all.

The absolute best elote I've had was in Boyle Heights, CA AKA East Los Angeles on Cesar Chavez Boulevard which used to be known as Brooklyn Avenue.

It's the elote of my dreams.  The description is quite similar to the cob elote described above with one difference.  They used what they called Field Corn.  Corn that has changed from being a sweet, right off of stalk cob to a pasty, carb tasting dense kernel that was outstanding with the toppings.

Search it out.  It's worth it.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17795
    Re:Messin' with Texas Mon, 06/4/12 4:27 PM (permalink)
    Field corn is better than sweet corn. At least it is when you're a kid and you swipe it from the field where it's growing and eat it right there at the stalk.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Messin' with Texas Mon, 06/4/12 6:14 PM (permalink)
      Wow, I didn't know that the one item I considered one of the least favorite of the trip would be such a hot topic. Mayo or Sour Cream (or both) I don't think either would make it any more palatable for me.

I do find it interesting in Milwfoodlover's video, they refer to crema, which they substitute using both sour cream and mayo, When I make my mahi fish tacos at home (when I go into extreme health kick dieting) for the white sauce I use one part low fat mayo, two parts low fat sour cream along with whole food's mexican fiesta spices and freshly squeezed lime juice..

Buffetbuster,

it's possible the Elvis Pie at the Texan Cafe could be in the # 1 pie spot for the year- we'll see- the year is barely half over.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
        Re:Messin' with Texas Mon, 06/4/12 6:56 PM (permalink)
        Sunday April 29

I returned downtown for one last good cup of coffee at Halycon and one final walk around the downtown area. 
        After returning to my hotel north of town I had one more meal left before I continued on to San Antonio to fly back home...

No one should leave Texas without a good bowl of red....present company included..

Well....they're open

Texas Chili Parlor

Recommended by Bushie  when I first visited Austin back in 2005 for CAT duty, Texas Chili Parlor eventually made it's way to The Stern's 500 places to eat Book... After a 7 year absence I'm really looking forward..

Once again before I entered, the sign across the street caught my attention..

You all know I'm looking at the Austin's best coffee sign- I know the rest of you are looking at the "bacon cookies and and ice cream" sign.

Anyway, back to Texas Chili Parlor

The interior of the place  looks exactly like what I would expect a  chili parlor to look like.

at least one that's in Texas...

I began with a side of Chips and Queso

The chips were very pedestrian, however the queso had a slight jalapeno bite....

However this is why I'm here....

A nice big beefy bowl of chili....with a side of raw onion and jalapeno....no beans....no cheese....just the basics...

With the option of ordering "X" "XX" or "XXX" (you need to sign a waiver for the last one)  , you can even order habanero, white chili or black bean and elgin sausageI ordered the "XX" - certainly spicy but not overbearingly so.....The cumin laced bowl of red is everything that it lives up to be.....

After lunch I drove back to San Antonio to fly home.....the story doesn't end there...
        The rest of the trip is just a rant- Of course the trip began with transportation issues back in Arizona and it's going to end with transportation issues...

As I was boarding the plane, I was forced to check my carry on bag (on Southwest- checked baggage is free)  even though I've carried it on board many times in the past- no big deal. When I arrived in Chicago to change planes, I realized I couldn't take a photo of my Chicago Style Dog at the Airport's  Gold Coast Hot Dog concession stand which might I add, had some of the nastiest cheese fries I've ever had ( Weiners Circle or Poochie's they aint) I should have just had two dogs instead...

The clincher is they had to do a plane swap for my  flight back to Providence (that flight was still in Atlanta!)
        So instead of arriving in Providence before just before 11pm, I ended up getting home just after 2am. ...Thankfully I had planned on taking the morning off at work anyway.....

I will conclude with epilogue and foot notes (for both Arizona and Texas)  later in the week 
        <message edited by wanderingjew on Mon, 06/4/12 9:50 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9524
          Re:Messin' with Texas Mon, 06/4/12 7:11 PM (permalink)
          That Bowl of Red looks like the real deal!

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
            Re:Messin' with Texas Tue, 06/5/12 1:25 AM (permalink)
            WJ, love this report! Thanks! When you showed that sign across the street all I saw was poutine, chicken & waffles and a Chicago hot dog and thought, "This must be driving WJ crazy!"

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:Messin' with Texas Tue, 06/5/12 8:09 AM (permalink)
              Billyboy

Its stuff like that which "keeps Austin weird"

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                Re:Messin' with Texas Tue, 06/5/12 8:13 AM (permalink)
                Hmmm...the bowl of chili plus the unusual offerings across the street got me thinking:

French fries + chili + cheese curds = "Texas Poutine"?

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                  Re:Messin' with Texas Tue, 06/5/12 9:44 AM (permalink)
                  WJ, I forgot to ask you:  was the bowl of Texas Red made with ground beef, chunks of steak/sirloin, etc..., or a combination of both?  There's a place in NYC (of course!) that makes what they call a Bowl O' Texas Red (no beans, tomatoes or ground beef) with chunks of beef, chiles and spices and I can't get enough of it!  Curious as to how accurate/how far off the mark it is.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Messin' with Texas Tue, 06/5/12 10:25 AM (permalink)
                    Billyboy

I didn't mention it, but when I first visited 7 years ago, it seemed to be all chunks, when I last visited it seemed to be more of a combination- either way it was still just as good as I remembered. If I return, I may venture out and try the XXX

Foodbme

Re:Messin' with Texas Tue, 06/5/12 6:16 PM (permalink)
                      ScreamingChicken

Hmmm...the bowl of chili plus the unusual offerings across the street got me thinking:
                      French fries + chili + cheese curds = "Texas Poutine"?

Your recipe is 2/3 correct!
                      Substitute Home Fries (NOT Hash Browns) for French Fries and you've got it!

Dr. L.

• Total Posts: 35
                        Re:Messin' with Texas Wed, 06/6/12 1:12 AM (permalink)
                        May I gently correct you:  The town across from Del Rio, is Acuna.  Piedras Negras is 50 miles further south along the border, across from Eagle Pass, TX. 

I graduated HS in DR and hunted dove in Eagle Pass, WBW.
                        My old stompin' grounds.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          Re:Messin' with Texas Wed, 06/6/12 6:00 PM (permalink)
                          WJ, you had some mighty fine eats on this leg of the trip! Please accept my thanks for the wonderful report, and letting me live vicariously thru your travels.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Messin' with Texas Wed, 06/6/12 6:15 PM (permalink)
                            You done good Dale. Thanks for a terrific report.

By the way, Lisa and I expect to be in Connecticut next week. We hope we'll be able to work in a visit.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Messin' with Texas Wed, 06/6/12 7:34 PM (permalink)
                              Ann,

My pleasure...

Michael

I'll be in Pittsburgh from 6/15 thru 6/18
                              If you and and Lisa will  be in Eastern CT or RI before or afterwards let me know and perhaps we can meet for dinner.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Messin' with Texas Wed, 06/6/12 7:57 PM (permalink)
                                We'll be getting to Connecticut on the 13th, and I hope we'll be there through the following Tuesday or Wednesday. We'll see what happens. After eating in and around New Haven (Pepe's, Louis Lunch, etc.) we'll be in the eastern end of the state.

will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 398
                                  Re:Messin' with Texas Wed, 06/6/12 10:20 PM (permalink)
                                  Great report - both parts!  I really enjoyed it.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:Messin' with Texas Thu, 06/7/12 8:05 AM (permalink)
                                    Michael,

give me a shout, Tuesday the 19th or Wednesday the 20th would certainly work if you find yourselves in Eastern CT on one of those evenings.

Lynn

Thanks. Now that I'm done with this report. I'm probably going to start doing a few restaurant reviews- and hopefully will get those out of the way by the end of summer. BTW Miss Myra's Pit BBQ in suburban Birmingham will be one of them

I'll try to do the epilogue and footnotes this evening.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Messin' with Texas Thu, 06/7/12 8:45 PM (permalink)
                                      Epilogue and Footnotes

This will be copied to both trip reports..

Non Roadfood Highlights:

-No Rain!
                                      -Chase Field with the Roof open
                                      -San Xavier Mission
                                      -Tucson Mountain Park
                                      -Sabino Canyon
                                      -Fiesta Week in San Antonio
                                      -Getting together with Foodbme and Bushie

Non Roadfood Disappointments:
                                      -transportation issues at the beginning (long long rental car lines) and end of the trip (flight home delayed 3 hours)
                                      -temps averaging 15-20 degees above average during the entire trip
                                      -only 2 floors open at the LBJ Library due to renovations

Roadfood Highlights

Sonoran Dog at El Guero Canelo - Tucson
                                      Carne Asada Tacos at Pico De Gallo - Tucson
                                      Chips and Salsa at Rosita's Place Phoenix
                                      Horchata at Rosita's Place Phoenix
                                      Green Corn Tamales at La Tolteca Restaurant and Market- Phoenix
                                      Bean Burger at Chris Madrid's- San Antonio
                                      Beef Barbacoa Puffy Tacos at Taqueria La Huasteca-  San Antonio
                                      Beef Rib at J Mueller's - Austin
                                      Chicken Fried Steak at Hoover's Cooking - Austin
                                      BBQ at Smitty's Market- Lockhart TX
                                      Best Ice Cream at Sands of Time Ice Cream- Austin TX
                                      Best Pie- Elvis Pie at Texas Cafe- Hutto TX
                                      Best Coffee at Crave- Tucson AZ
                                       Runner Up at  Halycon- Austin TX
                                      Best Beer- Kilt Lifter at Four Peaks Brewery- Tempe AZ
                                       Runner Up- Black Lager (Rahr and Sons in Ft Worth TX)- at a bar - Hutto TX

Roadfood Disappointment

-Travelin Manned at the Tamale Store in Phoenix AZ
                                      -Corn in a Cup at Taqueria La Huasteca in San Antonio TX
                                      -Chipotle Cole Slaw at J Mueller's in Austin TX
                                      -Coconut Cream Pie at City Cafe- Elgin TX
                                      -Missing out on trying King Ranch Casserole at Monument Cafe- Georgetown TX
                                      -Being too full to check out the BBQ at City Market- Luling TX

will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 398
                                        Re:Messin' with Texas Thu, 06/7/12 9:18 PM (permalink)
                                        Fabulous trip!  I'd say the highlights far outweighed the disappointments.  But here is the unanswered question.....did you and Bushie wear Hawaiian shirts???  Sort of like a mini-Glee Club West?

iceomat

• Total Posts: 97
                                          Re:Messin' with Texas Fri, 06/8/12 1:51 AM (permalink)
                                          WJ, that place across from the Texas Chili Parlor is called Frank and one of my good friends is part owner (he's a bacon and sausage nut). I've heard good things about the place, but unfortunately I've never been there.

Foodbme

Re:Messin' with Texas Fri, 06/8/12 3:20 AM (permalink)
                                            THANX! for including me in your Non-Roadfood Highlights. It was a pleasure meeting you as well even though I can't cover territory as fast as you when walking! Do you enter Speed Walking Races to keep in shape for your trips?

I'd like to meet up with any other Roadfooder's who come to the Valley of the Sun anytime. Just let me know when you'll be here.
                                            Again WJ, your trip reports are outstanding both in narrative and photography. Thank You!

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:Messin' with Texas Sat, 06/9/12 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                              Lynn

I came prepared, however considering the fashionista that Bushie is he decided to break the mold and try something different.

iceomat

That's a coincidence.
                                              Outside of the usual "regional Texas" offerings I'm amazed at the variety of restaurants in Austin.

Foodbme

Wish I could say I kept in shape for my last trip- that was a complete disaster. I have almost 11 weeks till my next big trip- and besides next weekend for the Pittsburgh tour- I'm preparing. In fact now that allergy season is over  I think I'm going to wake up early and do my walks in the morning instead of the evening.
                                              <message edited by wanderingjew on Sat, 06/9/12 10:26 AM>

Ahi Mpls.

• Total Posts: 922
                                                Re:Messin' with Texas Sat, 06/9/12 12:54 PM (permalink)
                                                 Man alive are you ever getting LAZY! 
                                                  My friend Google Earth tells me that you walked a bit under 43 miles. What the heck is wrong with you?
                                                 Unless you walked to J Mueller's... that would help. 

"Corn in a Cup, The corn is on a string and ATTACHED to the cup"  

I hope your drink wasn't trying to tell you something important.

blackirondude

Re:Messin' with Texas Sat, 06/9/12 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                                  We did a trip through Austin and the Hill Country this spring and loved it.

Texas barbecue is amazing (love the flavor oak smoke imparts).  

Great report!

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                                    Re:Messin' with Texas Sun, 06/10/12 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                                    I always look forward to reading your reports WJ! Thanks for posting!

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:Messin' with Texas Sun, 06/10/12 11:24 AM (permalink)
                                                      Dawn

43 miles just isn't enough. I'd have to walk that in one day every day to burn off the stuff that I ate.

blackirondude

Texas style Q is certainly my favorite too. 

agnesrob

good to hear from you- thanks

kaszeta

Re:Messin' with Texas Fri, 06/29/12 11:50 PM (permalink)
                                                        Thanks for the thread, you gave me several good leads in San Antonio.
                                                        Having had two trips to Austin, one trip to San Antonio, and another to Houston in the last month, once the dust settles and I catch my breath, I'll probably have my own Texas thread to contribute.
                                                        A few places overlap, (JMueller, Smitty's, Chris Madrids, to name a few... indeed, if I was a week later I would have seen you at JMueller)

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                                                          Re:Messin' with Texas Sat, 06/30/12 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                                          TGILIT!

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 638
                                                            • Location: austin, TX
                                                            Re:Messin' with Texas Sat, 06/30/12 1:50 PM (permalink)
                                                            Brilliant report wanderingjew. Absolutely brilliant. I live in Austin and you hit central Texas like a runaway truck. A few notes:

One spot you missed in San Antonio that deserves your attention is Mendez Cafe. Tiny little cafe near the railroad tracks.Locals only spot and my favorite Mexican in a city with 1000s of good joints https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=mendez+cafe+san+antonio+texas&fb=1&gl=us&hq=mendez+cafe&hnear=0x865c58af04d00eaf:0x856e13b10a016bc,San+Antonio,+TX&cid=0,0,13844422363719236664&ei=JTbvT9fsFumM2gXbnazbCg&ved=0CIYBEPwSMAM&oi=local_group

John Mueller is truly putting out the best barbecue in Austin if not the state. I’ve never tried a side dish there [would only take up meat space] but that beef rib is really something special. Austin is waiting with bated breath for the showdown between him and Aaron Franklin of Franklin Barbecue. Mueller challenged Franklin to a showdown to decide once and for all who the king of Austin bbq is. I covered the affair http://www.scrumptiouschef.com/food/index.cfm/2012/3/9/John-Mueller-Throws-Down-The-GauntletChallenges-Aaron-Franklin-To-Battle-For-Barbecue-Supremacy

Hoover’s puts out a good plate of Texas chow, it’s a block from my house. Next time try Galloway Sandwich Shop [bad name-it’s a soul food joint] it’s a few blocks south of Hoover’s in a “bad” neighborhood. Mr. Galloway, his wife and his mom tag team the kitchen and put out a bunch of southern favorites straight out of antique cast iron pans. It’s under the radar but is my favorite meat n 3 in town.

Joe’s Bakery is an Austin classic. Next time you visit try the barbacoa, I’ve been on a barbacoa binge these past couple years and it’s one of the best versions in town.

Love Ross’ cafe up in north Austin. Their fried catfish is some of the best in town. Head next door to Mickey’s Thirsty I, next visit. It’s an old timey dive bar that opened up in 1933. Very cool little spot. Sometimes Mickey gets up on the tiny stage and wears out the harmonica.

I’m in the Black’s camp when it comes to Lockhart barbecue. Smitty’s sausage is good but I’ve had tough brisket there too many times. Another great Texas bar is right around the corner: Lilly’s. It’s dark, cold and they serve cheap beer.

Thanks for taking the time to write your trip up and add all those killer photos. Austin looks like a million bucks. Now if we could just dial the heat back a notch.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 107

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com