Mexican Bakeries

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13521
2006/12/21 14:20:31 (permalink)

Mexican Bakeries

I have noticed in Houston that there a lot of Mexican or Hispanic bakeries. I stopped in a couple and they had several things that I could not pronounce that looked good.

Anyone have any idea about the contents and how they rate them?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

17 Replies Related Threads

Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2006/12/21 15:16:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I have noticed in Houston that there a lot of Mexican or Hispanic bakeries. I stopped in a couple and they had several things that I could not pronounce that looked good.

Anyone have any idea about the contents and how they rate them?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Can you describe them, or do you mean baked goods in general.

joe
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2006/12/21 15:27:32 (permalink)
    Baked goods in general was my thoughts. Sorry I was not more specific.

In Knoxville we do not have Mexican or Hispanic bakeries but I am sure we will soon.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2006/12/21 15:53:59 (permalink)
    The most popular ones and the ones that are consistent at most bakeries are:

Volcanes or Pan de Huevo, they are the dome shaped buns with a sugar design on top, good with coffee if they are warm from the oven, if not nuke them on defrost for about 10-15 seconds.

Empanadas, you probably know them, turnovers usually they have a variety of fillings, pumpkin, sweet potatoe and pineapple are the most common.

Marranitos, "little pigs", gingerbread cookies basically baked in the shape of, you guessed it, little pigs.

Ojarascas or Pan de Polvo, my favorite, sometimes called Mexican Wedding Cookies, shaped like the suits of cards, stars, hearts etc. they are crumbly cookies made from 1part flour, one part shortning, sugar and cinnimon tea. Great with Mexican hot chocolate.

Bolillos, rolls, like French rolls, a little tough you almost have to toast them a little, what tortas are made from, try them filled with cream cheese, avocado, tomatoe, onion, mayo, salt and pepper, and if you like them bean sprouts.

Orejas, "ears", flakey pastries that look like they should be on the side of Princess Leahs head, sugary dry layered flakes of dough.

There are a veriety of muffins with or without raisins, and sugar cookies all with different names depending what shape they are and if they have sprinkles.

My mind just went blank thinking about my avocado sandwich. If I think of anything else I'll add on.

After the holidays when things settle down, if you have a free Saturday I would enjoy showing you around and take you to some of the more out of the way places, if you want just email me.

joe
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2006/12/21 16:59:14 (permalink)
    I am leaving Houston on 12/27/06 to do some work for the company that I consult with but I will be back shortly after New years and I sure would enjoy visiting some of the Mexican bakeries.

Thanks

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2006/12/21 21:50:49 (permalink)
    When I have passed Hispanic Bakeries they seem big on cakes, the more ornate the better. Wedding cakes, Birthday Cakes Quincenra Cakes, etc. Colorful, as all things Mexican.
    CuzinVinny
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2006/12/21 23:40:55 (permalink)
    Hispanics especially love their queso and guayaba (cream cheese and guava conserve) confections. These pastries and their coconut desserts are simply wonderful!!!! I also love churros and those little cookies served at every Mexican wedding, polvorones. So tasty..
    These are of course just a sample of the many great Spanish-oriented desserts around the globe. iViva!
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2006/12/21 23:44:17 (permalink)
    In many of the Mexican "panaderias" in California, you will find that many of those cakes/pastries are called "pan dulce," and they can be multicolored buns with sugar crystals on top. I find them very sweet, and very dry...you need a good cup of coffee to have with them.
    They look very tasty.
    Cinnabonbon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2006/12/22 01:22:15 (permalink)
    We like the pan dulce with the brownish topping or white topping. We also like the quernos ? which is similar to a crosant only not as flaking. If they offer filled Bolillos try them. They offer cream cheese & jalepenos or chorizo filled bolillos here. I don't care for the cookies, too powdery for my taste.
    lennonlover2005
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2007/02/23 03:25:31 (permalink)
    Semitas (they look like oval cookies)
    Semitas de Anis (Black Licorice) (ditto)
    Cuernos (this means "Horns" so they are sugered horns)
    Mexican Wedding Cookies - Powdered Sugar
    Bolillos (not sure what they look like)
    Campechanas -They look like empanadas but they are sweet) Empanadas (see other posts) But I will say empanadas vary from each Latin American country!!
    Marranitos (the outside has little points and they're filled I believe)
    Molletes (sugary and yellow and have crisscrosses on them and they look like seashells a bit)
    Piedras (sugary and yellow)
    Pastel de Polvo ( S shaped and white and sugary)
    Polvorones Roscas (look like sugar pretzels)
    Huavaches (they look like crackers, oval shaped)

These are considered MEXICAN bakeries items. There are Guatemalan bakeries I have been to in Chicago and they have similar looking items but with different names , so you should know what to look for in shape etc.

Each Latin American country have their own special pastries so just try one that looks good...This applies to empanadas as well. They vary alot from country to country
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2007/02/23 08:28:30 (permalink)
    ...Bolillos (not sure what they look like)

Here in Milwaukee they look like a fat squat torpedo shaped sub sandwich roll which is what I often use them for. We just had an opening last week of our first Colombian bakery. Weather permitting (huge storm possible), I hope to check it out this weekend.
    packerwmn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2007/02/23 13:34:40 (permalink)
    MFL - Where is new the new Columbian bakery. I'd like to check it out too! I'm familiar with the wonderful Italian bakeries in the area - but haven't heard about this.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2007/02/23 19:37:18 (permalink)
    Can anyone tell me where the best Tres Leches cake can be bought in Houston?

Thanks
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2007/02/23 22:30:47 (permalink)
    I have found that the bollilos are perfect for Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2007/02/24 09:51:05 (permalink)
    packerwmn, It's on the NW corner of 35th & National Ave. I just looked outside and my visit will be on another day. I found this http://www.mkedcd.org/news/2007/mekatos.pdf and it looks like it also serves food!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2007/03/17 05:53:46 (permalink)
    I'm surrounded by great Mexican panaderias.

My favorites:

Cocos: Thick, chewy and moist coconut cookies.

Tres Leches: A very moist cake, served either cake style, iced or not, or served crumbled up in a cup with fresh sliced strawberries and whipped cream.

Churros: Ribbed, twisted ropes of fried dough dusted with cinnamon sugar.

Churros rellenos: As above, but filled with a sweet vanilla custard.

Sopapillas: Sweet fried bread dusted with cinnamon sugar and covered with honey.

Buñuelos: Many variations, locally they're deep fried dough with anise or a fried flour tortilla topped with a guava, cinnamon and brown sugar syrup or just cinnamon and confectioners sugar.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 533
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2007/03/30 10:29:53 (permalink)
    I've stopped in a few of those places and the cinnamon sugar cookies have always been a pleasure. Most are simple but delicious with milk or coffee.
    oxmichellyxo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Mexican Bakeries 2007/08/09 23:06:51 (permalink)
    hi everyone =) i was just wondering which bakery would have the best panaderias?
    (like the most popular company)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1