Mexican Breakfasts

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
hefried
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/02/12 12:10:49 (permalink)
Yes i beleive it is........... but how would i know, really, if i don't even know what MIGAS is! i KNOW , Im positive, ive seen it and heard of it and heard it said.... Could somebody tell us what it is.?
Mikesh :what's the story on migas that your F/F in Texas tell you about?
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/02/12 19:50:16 (permalink)
I know, I'm not a Texan, but I have had migas in Texas, so here goes. Migas is a scrambled egg dish that contains corn tortillas that have been torn into pieces put in the fry pan with peppers(jalapenoes or green), onions, & tomatos then you stir in beaten eggs & scramble all together. Cheese can also be added & serve with salsa. Some people also add chorizo.
hefried
Cheeseburger
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/02/14 11:57:22 (permalink)
hey oc dreamr
i thought that "dish" was chilaquiles??? MAYBE Migas and Chiliquiles are the same thing?
ahha! THAT's probably it!!! at some point im gonna take the time to get out one of my cookbooks and really check it out for these recipes...
hefried
Cheeseburger
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/02/14 11:58:47 (permalink)
at some point, when i'm not mindlessly chatting on roadfood forums that is......!!!!!!!!!!!!
BakersBoy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/02/14 12:39:30 (permalink)
To all,

Migas have eggs, chilaquiles do not.

By the way the best breakfast burrito I've ever had was at the cafeteria at the military base in White Sands, New Mexico. Made by two wonderful cooks. It remains to this day the best. And chorizo, I'll eat it every day if I could. I don't care whats in it. It tastes good. Just like sweetbreads.

BB
cedwin
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/02/14 13:40:37 (permalink)
Actually, many versions of chilaquiles have eggs. I've had with and without eggs in many ways in Mexico. It sounds like chilaquiles and migas are the same, at least to me.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/03/14 10:30:07 (permalink)
I had a great Mexican breakfast at Taqueria Aranda, a small chain in Texas, clean, good food, very cheap. Two of us ate for $9 including two beverages chips and salsa,and tip. They have several specials daily for $2.29. It is a bright, tropical decorated fairly large restaurant near Reliant Stadium on South Main Street in Houston. They had good chilaquiles, served with refried beans. The Mexican eggs were spicy, a very large portion, served with beans also and fresh flour tortillas. I plan to go back soon for a torta. The seafood in the pictures on the wall looked great. They have a huge menu showing pictures of many of the foods.
i82much
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/03/14 23:34:37 (permalink)
-----check out this site and click on the menu button ------- http://www.marquezbakery.com/ -----i ate there today
hefried
Cheeseburger
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/03/14 23:51:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i82much

-----check out this site and click on the menu button ------- http://www.marquezbakery.com/ -----i ate there today

looks gooood and cheap , right on
i82much
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/03/15 00:12:02 (permalink)
it was good -----i brought home an extra dozen pork tamales too . (for breakfast )
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/03/16 19:16:56 (permalink)
We make migas by sautéing chopped onion, red bell pepper, poblano (or other fresh peppers) and then scrambling in eggs. Near the end of the cooking we add crushed corn tortilla chips to the eggs. The migas are often topped with some type of salsa. I prefer salsa verde (green).
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/04/13 00:21:25 (permalink)
I thought the classic migas was scrambled eggs with canned strip sliced cactus petals included. The tortilla pieces are optional.

If that is not right, what is the name for the scrambled eggs with cactus?
Lavanda
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/04/13 14:25:22 (permalink)
definitions:

Migas: most commonly a tex-mex dish. Consists of fried crisp CORN tortilla pieces which are then scrambled with eggs. You may vary by adding onion, peppers, etc to the scramble.

This originated as a way to use up leftover stale corn tortillas.

Chilaquiles are also based on the use of leftover stale corn tortillas, but the basic dish is dried tortillas broken into pieces, and then stewed briefly in a tomato/chile sauce.

To make a richer, fancier dish, scrambled eggs or shredded cooked chicken meat may be added.

Most commonly, it is a tomato/chile sauce cooked, the tortilla pieces are added, and the whole cooked briefly till the tortillas absorb the sauce, and are mostly dry, not swimming in the sauce. They can then be garnished with sour cream, mexican crema, and garnished with drumbled cheese on top.

A great vegetarian or lenten dish when abstaining from meat.

Nopalitos / Nopalitos con huevo: cooked cactus pieces, then scrambled with eggs, to whaich one might add in chiles or salsa,
& sauteed chopped onion. These are NOT called migas.

These are very common during the lenten season because they are
also a good vegetarian or fasting from meat dish, and because
the tender nopalitos are a popular early spring food.

As nopalitos become more commonly available the year round,
they are also eaten more all year long.

Nopalitos are available pre-cooked in glass jars, and in more ethnic-oriented grocery stores are available as whole, unpeeled
pads, and/or pre-peeled, and shredded fresh pieces in plastic
bags in the produce section.

www.cocina-mexicana@yahoogroups.com
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4629
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/04/13 14:30:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BakersBoy

To all,

Migas have eggs, chilaquiles do not.

By the way the best breakfast burrito I've ever had was at the cafeteria at the military base in White Sands, New Mexico. Made by two wonderful cooks. It remains to this day the best. And chorizo, I'll eat it every day if I could. I don't care whats in it. It tastes good. Just like sweetbreads.

BB

The best mexican breakfast burritos I can remember were in Deming, NM and El Paso , Tx. They must like their breakfast down that way.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4044
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/04/13 17:04:55 (permalink)
My two favorite Mexican breakfast items are chilaquiles con chorizo, with lots of that delectable sausage and onions mixed with the stale chips and onion, and a sililar dish, papas con chorizo----fried potatoes with cchorizo and onions mixed in. That makes for a spicy and hearty breakfast!
On rare occasions I enjoy stopping at a panderia for a few pan dulce-----sort of a large donut-sized bread. A few of those and a coffee and I'm set!
Chef Susan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/04/19 21:02:45 (permalink)
Will someone from Austin, Bushie, please tell this poor tortured soul exactly what migas are? I don't feel qualified, being from California...

Y'all can't talk about breakfast and not talk about the Frontier coffee shop in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Breakfast there is worth travelling to NM just for that!!! (and I LOVE New Mexico!)

P.S. Migas and homemade refried beans is our favorite breakfast, followed by Chilaquiles and eggs.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/04/19 21:29:35 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
None of our local Mexican restaurants serve breakfast! They all open at 11:00 A. M. Same with the two El Salvadorean places.
I'll have to check out one in Metro Atlanta that is supposed to be "so authentic you'll swear you're there," as the newspaper reviewer gushed. - The menu is entirely in Spanish and the place does not sell anything resembling "tourist" food. I can only imagine eating some nopales and huevos con chorizo there with a cup of coffee with a hint of chocolate in it, but I've gotta lose some weight first.
There's also a place on South Clayton Street, a block off the square in downtown Lawrenceville, Georgia that is run by folks from Oaxaca. My minions tell me to go there before it gets "discovered." Have any of y'all been there? Any Atlanta-area reports on some other place(s)??
Just As Hungrily As Usual (If Not More, After Reading Spanish Flowers' Menu!), Ort. Carlton in Ever-Lovely Athens.
hefried
Cheeseburger
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/04/20 11:18:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lavanda

definitions:

Migas: most commonly a tex-mex dish. Consists of fried crisp CORN tortilla pieces which are then scrambled with eggs. You may vary by adding onion, peppers, etc to the scramble.

This originated as a way to use up leftover stale corn tortillas.

Chilaquiles are also based on the use of leftover stale corn tortillas, but the basic dish is dried tortillas broken into pieces, and then stewed briefly in a tomato/chile sauce.

To make a richer, fancier dish, scrambled eggs or shredded cooked chicken meat may be added.

Most commonly, it is a tomato/chile sauce cooked, the tortilla pieces are added, and the whole cooked briefly till the tortillas absorb the sauce, and are mostly dry, not swimming in the sauce. They can then be garnished with sour cream, mexican crema, and garnished with drumbled cheese on top.

A great vegetarian or lenten dish when abstaining from meat.

Nopalitos / Nopalitos con huevo: cooked cactus pieces, then scrambled with eggs, to whaich one might add in chiles or salsa,
& sauteed chopped onion. These are NOT called migas.

These are very common during the lenten season because they are
also a good vegetarian or fasting from meat dish, and because
the tender nopalitos are a popular early spring food.

As nopalitos become more commonly available the year round,
they are also eaten more all year long.

Nopalitos are available pre-cooked in glass jars, and in more ethnic-oriented grocery stores are available as whole, unpeeled
pads, and/or pre-peeled, and shredded fresh pieces in plastic
bags in the produce section.

thank you so much excellent definitions! now i get it!

www.cocina-mexicana@yahoogroups.com
hefried
Cheeseburger
RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/04/20 11:19:24 (permalink)
thank you levanda! excellent definitions! now i get it!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1