Mexican Breakfasts

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Cole-Lamasney
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2004/11/15 21:19:34 (permalink)

Mexican Breakfasts

Most Americans don't realize that Mexicans do absolutely *wonderful* breakfasts! "Heart attack on a platter" but *still....

When we first moved Des Moines, IA, shortly after our marriage, I took my husband (a native Bay-Stater who had lived for 25 years in the Maine backwoods) to the east side, to a Mexican neighborhood dating back to the turn-of-the-century for Sunday brunch at one of the local eateries. I ordered him huevos con chorizo (eggs scrambled with Mexican sausage, this version including minced tomatoes and peppers). Having never had *real* Mexican food, and certainly not breakfast, he approached this with some trepidation. But one mouthful (combined with fresh tortillas straight out of the oven and breakfast salsa -- a mild version) reduced him to tears of joy!

And then we spent three years in South Texas....

48 Replies Related Threads

Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/15 21:43:57 (permalink)
    There used to be a guy in our Denver office who would bring in breakfast burritos to sell... made by either his mother or aunt depending on the day. I visited that office frequently and was absolutely thrilled when I discovered (after my first bite) that they were indeed the best I had ever tasted (and I lived in Texas a good many years with a lot of wonderful tex-mex breakfast experiences). One morning I arrived there to find out that he had already sold all of them. He definitely noticed my disappointment because, after that, he ALWAYS held a couple for me when he knew I was in town. Alas, he no longer works there, but I will NEVER forget him OR his mother's/aunt's breakfast burritos.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4606
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/15 21:48:24 (permalink)
    Most will need a map for this one ... El Ranchito in Zillah, Washington. about 7 miles north of Yakima.

Yes, heart attack on a platter. Yes, awesome. Yes, real Roadfood.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/15 22:00:48 (permalink)
    Locally here, it's not so good... Order a Mexican Omelet and you get an omelet stuffed with ground beef seasoned with Lawrys Burrito Seasoning... And not very fresh seasoned beef at that..
    Luckily I have the energy to make my own when I wake up! Nothing beats a "real" mexican omelet with Hot Sauce at 6am!

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/16 11:59:49 (permalink)
    You can put almost any breakfast food short of waffles or pancakes in a flour tortilla and have it for breakfast. I like to cut my omelets into pieces and roll them up. Yum!

Tom
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/16 20:54:21 (permalink)
    The absolute BEST "Mexican" breakfast is at Joe's Bakery in Austin, TX.

You have your choice of Migas, Huevos Rancheros, or Chorizo y Huevos. It depends on my mood as to what I'll order.

Trust me on this; I KNOW.
    Cole-Lamasney
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/17 13:20:49 (permalink)
    Try El Torito in Brownsville, TX -- *killer* tortillas, and magnificent home-made salsa.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/17 14:09:47 (permalink)
    Our favorie Saturday breakfast is at Adelita's: huevos ranchero with morning sauce, frijoles, papas, with a barbacoa taco on the side with fresh pico de gallo.

Many restaurants only have the barbacoa and menudo on weekends.

I used to like chorizo til I read the ingredients one day. Lymph and salivary glands.

Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/17 14:23:43 (permalink)
    Here is a link to the Spanish Flowers Restaurant. It is a popular place here in Houston and is open 24 hours a day. They are known for their breakfasts for the "after hours" crowd.

You can see what they offer for breakfast from the menu. We go there occasionally for lunch, and you are always served a cup of vegetable soup after you place your order. Freshly made tortillas (flour and corn) are brought to you throughout the meal.

I ordered my Christmas tamales from them last year, and they were very good.

http://www.spanish-flowers.com
    wingandaprayer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/24 11:47:11 (permalink)
    When in Tucson, try El Guero Canelo @ 5201 S. 12th Ave. "Desayunos Origanalmente Mexacanotes" This is the real thing folks.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/24 11:53:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Our favorie Saturday breakfast is at Adelita's: huevos ranchero with morning sauce, frijoles, papas, with a barbacoa taco on the side with fresh pico de gallo.

Many restaurants only have the barbacoa and menudo on weekends.

I used to like chorizo til I read the ingredients one day. Lymph and salivary glands.

Ha! I'm the same way, used to love chorizo, but now...I read what's in sausage and put most of it back on the shelf. Beef hearts seem to be a big ingredient now

But I do love Mexican breakfasts!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/24 21:25:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

You have your choice of Migas, Huevos Rancheros, or Chorizo y Huevos. It depends on my mood as to what I'll order.

Hey Bushie---can i get them all in Breakfast combo!!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/24 23:02:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

Hey Bushie---can i get them all in Breakfast combo!!

tiki, what I will often do is order a plate of huevos rancheros and a side taco filled with chorizo y huevos. I get a "combo", plus an extra homemade flour tortilla!

And, did I mention that they have the BEST homemade chile sauce in the WHOLE WORLD Plus, the BEST coffee in Austin?

(Ok, time to stop beating around the bush. I LIKE this place.)
    dug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/26 00:49:59 (permalink)
    while in chicago stop by "frontera grill" on a saturday morning for an authentic mexican almuerzo/brunch/breakfast.i love it!
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/27 00:08:00 (permalink)
    when i was in mexico (melaque, barra de navidad and puerto vallarta, jalisco) we had refried beans with nearly every breakfast. yum yum yum yum
    with scrambled eggs, sometimes chorizo and lots of corn tortilla.
    when we were eating on our own at our little shack on the beach, we had the local bakerys fresh bolilos (sortof like french rolls!!????) hardboiled eggs and tons of avocados.... oh i wish i was there, right now!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/29 00:02:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hefried

when i was in mexico (melaque, barra de navidad and puerto vallarta, jalisco) we had refried beans with nearly every breakfast. yum yum yum

For those of you who only know "refried beans" from a can, the gentleman from Oregon is referring to the unbelievably delicious refritos as served in Mexico and by Mexicans here in the Southwest. These are slightly lumpy in texture and refried in manteca (lard). The lard is part of the delicious flavor of this dish, and is sadly eschewed by most of us north of the border. Lard is like water, a little is good for you, too much will kill you.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/30 16:29:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:

when i was in mexico (melaque, barra de navidad and puerto vallarta, jalisco) we had refried beans with nearly every breakfast. yum yum yum

For those of you who only know "refried beans" from a can, the gentleman from Oregon is referring to the unbelievably delicious refritos as served in Mexico and by Mexicans here in the Southwest. These are slightly lumpy in texture and refried in manteca (lard). The lard is part of the delicious flavor of this dish, and is sadly eschewed by most of us north of the border. Lard is like water, a little is good for you, too much will kill you.

that's exactly it! and they are soso so so good! and by the way i'm NO gentleman, beleive me!
    cedwin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/11/30 16:48:50 (permalink)
    My favorite Mexican breakfast usually involves chilaquiles, which is kind of a casserole of leftover pieces of tortillas with just about anything-cheese, eggs, peppers, salsa etc. It's usually served with refried beans, salsa, and extra tortillas. I've tried several versions in Mexico, and haven't yet had a good version north of the border-and, I've never been able to duplicate it either. A nice way to start the morning!
    delosrios
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/12/01 18:54:36 (permalink)
    brakfus***yea, brain food, fried catfish, fresh homemade katsup, wow*****no one knows the joy of a clear mind, 'cept maybe those early runners with the dorphins rolling around....fried crispy, almost burned.....ok......blackened catfish......the BEST, with about half a gallon of water..... I gotta go, the grease is hot.....[|)]
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2004/12/06 17:11:32 (permalink)
    My favorite Mexican breakfast used to be the migas at Good Eats in Austin.
    Does anyone know what happened to them. The place was always busy and popular.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/01/30 04:43:31 (permalink)
    Gourmet's Market in Knoxville, on Kingston Pike/Bearden has a wonderful Huevos Rancheros. Truly outstanding.
    Stupid_American
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/01/30 11:24:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cedwin

My favorite Mexican breakfast usually involves chilaquiles, which is kind of a casserole of leftover pieces of tortillas with just about anything-cheese, eggs, peppers, salsa etc. It's usually served with refried beans, salsa, and extra tortillas. I've tried several versions in Mexico, and haven't yet had a good version north of the border-and, I've never been able to duplicate it either. A nice way to start the morning!

I think chilaquiles is my favorite also.

As a kid, my dad never "made" chiliquiles, we just wound up with them.
    The night before, we would have Sonora style enchiladas.
    He always made stacks far too big (on purpose, I suppose).
    The leftovers were put together and served up for breakfast the next day, with the addition of some sausage and egg.
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/01/30 11:44:10 (permalink)
    Mexican breakfasts are my favorite! Luckily, I live in LA so I have a choice of great places to go to. My favorites are: La Cabanita in La Canada-Flintridge; Tacos Delta on Sunset in Silver Lake; and La Parilla (a couple of locations but I go the one on Sunset in Silver Lake.) My physical therapist, Eddie, swears by the scrambled egg and machaca burrito at Senor Fish in South Pasadena.

I'm dying to go to Texas and get some good Mexican breakfasts there (I will have to walk to and from Texas instead of driving so that I can burn off all of the excess calories that I will consume!)

Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/01/30 12:23:55 (permalink)
    In agreement with those of you who have sworn off chorizo/sausage after having read the ingredients. I tossed an entire pot of freshly made chili once in which I had put chorizo, because I read the ingredients (lymph and salivary glands) and couldn't imagine eating that chili! So out it went, and haven't had chorizo nor sausage since that.

Donna
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/01/30 13:35:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Donna Douglass

In agreement with those of you who have sworn off chorizo/sausage after having read the ingredients. I tossed an entire pot of freshly made chili once in which I had put chorizo, because I read the ingredients (lymph and salivary glands) and couldn't imagine eating that chili! So out it went, and haven't had chorizo nor sausage since that.

Donna

It's all good in my opinion! Nothing gets wasted! As long as they dont grind in the spinal cord that is...
    mudbug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/01/30 15:48:44 (permalink)
    Bushie-Thanks for the shout out for Joe's Bakery.I get to spend four days in Austin in April.Based on your recommendation,Joe's must be one of my breakfasts.Any other restaurants that are must-do?Cisco's,Las Manitas?,Curra's?This is an eating extravaganza:four days of Mexican breakfasts,chicken fried steak and Texas BBQ.Roadtrips and roadfood.I can't wait.
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/02/03 17:44:00 (permalink)
    Mmmm mmmm. Reminds me of the mornings I spent in Oaxaca. I'd walk down to the zocalo, grab a couple one shot bottles of mezcal at a small shop then sit down under a tree at one of the restaurants and have huevos Mexicano, chirizo (they didn't call it that in Oaxaca), beans and tortillas. Oh, and a big glass of fruit juice to chase the mezcal.
    Every morning a little girl belonging to one of the local Indian merchants would come over and smile at me until I gave her a tortilla full of eggs beans and sausage.
    I don't drink anymore, but I'd sure like to be there again.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/02/04 02:19:26 (permalink)
    Something I hear about from friends and family in Texas is megas(sp?). This is something I haven't encountered in Calif. Is it a Texas thing?

MikeS.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/02/05 17:44:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

Something I hear about from friends and family in Texas is megas(sp?). This is something I haven't encountered in Calif. Is it a Texas thing?

MikeS.

do you mean MIGAS?
    i've heard of it, seen it, but not sure what it is??!?!?!?!?!1
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Mexican Breakfasts 2005/02/12 04:18:15 (permalink)
    quote:

[quote

do you mean MIGAS?
    i've heard of it, seen it, but not sure what it is??!?!?!?!?!1

Yes, if that is the correct spelling.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1