Mexican Food Top Picks!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Author
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2005/01/11 20:00:45 (permalink)
Yes, Sr Alba, the demographics have changed. The elementary school where I tutor reading to ESL students is indicative of the current makeup of the community: 85% Latino, 10% AA, 5% Asian and Other. I am currently building a list as I eat my way through roadfood type eateries in Fontana, and most of them are Mexican. My next report will focus on the Mole de Pollo from a restaurant specializing in comidas estilo de Aquascalientes. I hope my reports assist you on your next visit to the IE.
Richard Brooks Alba
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2005/01/26 17:53:31 (permalink)
Yeah - see, back in the day [think '70s], my town of Bloomington was somewhere around 60% Anglo, 35% Latino, and 5% everyone else....
Buen provecho (& buena suerte),
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

Yes, Sr Alba, the demographics have changed. The elementary school where I tutor reading to ESL students is indicative of the current makeup of the community: 85% Latino, 10% AA, 5% Asian and Other. I am currently building a list as I eat my way through roadfood type eateries in Fontana, and most of them are Mexican. My next report will focus on the Mole de Pollo from a restaurant specializing in comidas estilo de Aquascalientes. I hope my reports assist you on your next visit to the IE.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4629
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2005/01/26 18:06:19 (permalink)
Richard, my little burg of Talent is about 65% Anglo, 30% Latino, and 5% other.Makes for tasty School functions. We also have 2 taco trucks &1 Thai trailer in a city of 5,000. I feel blessed.
Bill
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2005/01/30 23:58:38 (permalink)
The other day, after doing the DMV dance for a couple of hours, I decided to take care of my midday hunger pangs at a nearby Mexican restaurant called Mexico Lindo. THis is supposedly the first place that Fontana boy Sammy Hagar goes when he's in town for a visit.

My warning bells started going off as soon as I entered the place. The Beach Boys were playing through the ceiling speakers. More importantly, there wasn't a Latino person to be seen in the dining room. Fontana, as I mentioned above, is 85% Latino. There were people there, just not the ones that would demand good Mexican food.

I've tasted better Mexican food from the frozen dinner section at Stater Bros. The best adjective to use here would be underwhelming. Tasteless also applies. Bland, horrible, waste of money, unsatisfying.

Sammy Hagar has no palate for good Mexican food. I'll bet David Lee Roth would agree with me.

Oh well, gotta jump.
Xwordster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2005/02/22 14:47:12 (permalink)
Best beef burrito I ever had was at a place called Dos Amigos on Route7 just outside of Great Barrington , MA. Lovely shredded beef (not hamburger meat!) and tangy, chewy cheese... to die for!
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7981
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2005/04/29 19:31:07 (permalink)
If on the 405 In Culver City, CA it's got to be Tito's for good fast food Mexican with great taco's and burritos. There is always a line outside, rain or shine. Right next door is another place which I think is now called Cinco de Mayo. It used to be Lucy's and their menu and food is still Lucy's. Much more varied menu and still quite good.

If you make it up to the Valley, on the 405 go East on Vanowen stopping at Las Fuentes for fabulous food!

They have a Salsa Negra on their condiment bar that makes EVERYTHING taste wonderful! OMG Wonderful!

You can also get there by going North on Reseda from the 101.

Well worth the drive.

I might have to make it soon.

I always bring home a container of the Salsa Negra when I'm there.

Their tacos consist of chunks of flank stead in a tortilla. You fix it how you like. Me? Above mentioned salsa inside, diced jalapenos and onions, NO cilantro anywhere near my plate and more salsa negra to dip each bite as I eat the taco.

Their other food is also good. Great.

joanie41
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2005/04/29 19:41:42 (permalink)
For those of you who recommended El Azteca (sp?) in Clarksville, MD, could you tell me a little more about the place? I'm assuming it's in the same shopping center as Roots...I think I saw the place last time I was shopping there and wondered about it. How are the prices, is it kid friendly, etc? We live fairly close to there, and it sounds like a place I should try. Thanks for your help!!
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7981
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2005/04/29 19:54:16 (permalink)
If on the 405 In Culver City, CA it's got to be Tito's for good fast food Mexican with great taco's and burritos. There is always a line outside, rain or shine. Right next door is another place which I think is now called Cinco de Mayo. It used to be Lucy's and their menu and food is still Lucy's. Much more varied menu and still quite good.

If you make it up to the Valley, on the 405 go East on Vanowen stopping at Las Fuentes for fabulous food!

They have a Salsa Negra on their condiment bar that makes EVERYTHING taste wonderful! OMG Wonderful!

You can also get there by going North on Reseda from the 101.

Well worth the drive.

I might have to make it soon.

I always bring home a container of the Salsa Negra when I'm there.

Their tacos consist of chunks of flank stead in a tortilla. You fix it how you like. Me? Above mentioned salsa inside, diced jalapenos and onions, NO cilantro anywhere near my plate and more salsa negra to dip each bite as I eat the taco.

Their other food is also good. Great.

chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2005/04/29 20:04:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by joanie41

For those of you who recommended El Azteca (sp?) in Clarksville, MD, could you tell me a little more about the place? I'm assuming it's in the same shopping center as Roots...I think I saw the place last time I was shopping there and wondered about it. How are the prices, is it kid friendly, etc? We live fairly close to there, and it sounds like a place I should try. Thanks for your help!!

The prices are great for what you get It is very kid friendly and the food is terrific. It is my favorite Mexican restaurant in the whole area. But be prepared to sit at the bar and sip Margaritas while you wait for a table.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2005/04/29 21:13:51 (permalink)
This past Tuesday I stopped at the Adobe in Grand Rapids (mentioned earlier in this thread). They have a new place on Leonard St, just East of Fuller. I did their drive thru while at work. Tacos are $1.15 each (plus tax)... I ordered 2, soft shell.. Ground beef filler, but lightly seasoned.. They where tasty to say the least, but I have to tell ya, they must have weighed close to a half pound each. I had to pull over to enjoy them... Great food, but not if your driving... Tons of Cheese and tomatoes loaded in them! Same with the seasoned beef. I'm not sure if they made anything off of what they charged me.. I'm sure for the price I couldnt match it at home! Very Roadfood Worthy (If your parked or eating inside).... Oh ya, Hot Sauce they serve is so so.. I like mine with a little more attention getting power...

shmuelio
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2005/05/10 14:01:16 (permalink)
My top choice for good Tex-Mex was a place called El Charritos in OKC.
If they were open they always had a line outside the door waiting for tables. Normal waiting time was about an hour and no one complained. Not as good, but i liked Casa Bonita, any of them still around?
shmuelio
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2005/05/17 13:03:31 (permalink)
I used to go to Casa Bonita for there all you can eat platter, decent. But the best was Mama Tias in OKC.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2005/05/21 02:52:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shmuelio

I used to go to Casa Bonita for there all you can eat platter, decent. But the best was Mama Tias in OKC.

Casa Bonita located in Oklahoma City??
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/02/28 17:16:51 (permalink)
My favorite Mexican restaurant is Casa Maya, Meyersville, N.J. I've never been to their High Bridge, N.J., location. Aside from enjoying the good food, the use of maze-like seating to best utilize the small place is really nifty. Very cozy.

If you bring kids, or, are simply an ice cream-for-dessert lover, try their "basket" of ice cream. This is a good place. In fact, I think I'll cruise over as soon as I feel I can spare the calories.
The Bear
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/03/10 17:06:00 (permalink)
Good Googamooga!^#@! So many great sounding dishes that I have never tried, and nowhere to get them in north Texas that I know of.

The only thing I have to add is a place called TiaMarias on hwy 276 in West Tawakoni, TX. They make a great Carne Asada served with a glob of white mexican cheese.
Joe
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/03/23 19:12:38 (permalink)
I like

http://www.southflorida.com/dining/sfl-sh6bdinejan06,0,4669116.story

I know it's C.A..

Jonathan
ent07
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/03/27 19:18:27 (permalink)
I see not to much action on this thread, but I do see Uncle Vic And I sure do like a good wet burrito.We had what I thought was the best in Jackson MI until they closed and I have not found a replacement.There is a place called The Three Amigos that isn't to bad.
laststandchili
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/03/30 15:47:33 (permalink)
In Annapolis, MD. the Mexican Cafe (tres original, no?). Extremely popular small and very funky old building. Always packed in good weather with folks enjoying long waits on the porch over drinks. There is a constant party atmosphere inside and out. Their Margaritas are as advertised. The best in the area. They'll also sneak up on you, everythings just swell, then you stand up and realize that standing up is going to be a bit of a challenge.

The foods also good after a change in management I believe several years ago. Not the best of anything I've ever had, but a very solid overall menu with a combo plate for every palate. The one exception are the tamales in my opinion. There is some kind of spice in the masa that I can't quite put my finger on, but don't enjoy, it is reminiscent of licorice, maybe anise or something like that. On the pluse side is their authentic Texas style chili, sans beans, that is excellent.

Staff is also great, the manager once gave the SO and I a shot of Patron on the house after I pointed out a hole in one of the booths that a mouse ran into. Not real sanitary I know, but he was a cute little fellow and probably didn't eat much (the mouse that is).

One of these days I'll pack along a camera and do a decent review.

www.mexicancafe.com

Vayo con Queso

UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/03/31 00:57:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ent07

I see not to much action on this thread, but I do see Uncle Vic And I sure do like a good wet burrito.We had what I thought was the best in Jackson MI until they closed and I have not found a replacement.There is a place called The Three Amigos that isn't to bad.

Next time you get up to GR, on the NE corner of 28th and East Paris (behind the Speedway Gas Station), hit the Cantina drive thru.. Order a Cantina Special with meat sauce.. I gurantee you'll leave with a smile on your face!
wreckless1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/05/31 01:44:40 (permalink)
Best mexican is from a truck in plant city florida at the flea market on wednesday between sun up and about 2 o'clock.....the chicken flautas are to die for ...i eat them twice...once before i shop and get an order to go before i leave ....he also sells somewhere in lake wales i believe all week long behind a gas station???? i have no idea where but he's worth the trip to the market and worth finding during the week too although i never looked.....leave tampa and go east to plant city you'll thank me ................
richardoldfield
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/06/06 13:48:57 (permalink)
Once again, I have to say the Mexican Restaurants in the Detroit area can hold their own against any. The Mexican Town area has Las Brisas, Evie's Tamales, Arandas, Las Galanes, and many more. last night my wife and I went to El Paso in Lincoln Park, Michigan. The food was to die for and the serving siaze was huge. my wife had chicken fajitas and I had chicken enchiladas with salsa verde plus a coffee and iced tea; the total was $16.00 plus change. You just can't beat the place for the money. Regard, Richard
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/06/12 16:08:19 (permalink)
In Versailles, KY, there's a good Mexican restaurant called "Amigos". But, we usually make Mexican at home: Burritos stuffed with ground beef or beef strips seasoned in Lawry's Burrito seasoning and stuffed with cheese and Vigo Mexican rice and smothered in Green Chile Enchilada sauce with lettuce, guacamole, cold tomatoes and raw onions on the side.
If I eat out for Mexican food, I go for the Chile Relleno as long as it's made with a poblano pepper.

Andrea
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/06/12 17:55:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

My favorite Mexican restaurant is Casa Maya, Meyersville, N.J. I've never been to their High Bridge, N.J., location. Aside from enjoying the good food, the use of maze-like seating to best utilize the small place is really nifty. Very cozy.

If you bring kids, or, are simply an ice cream-for-dessert lover, try their "basket" of ice cream. This is a good place. In fact, I think I'll cruise over as soon as I feel I can spare the calories.
The Bear

Gosh, I remember that place. It's on the edge of the Great Swamp. I, too, thought their food was very good.

Then I moved to New Mexico.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/06/12 18:18:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

Gosh, I remember that place. It's on the edge of the Great Swamp. I, too, thought their food was very good.

Where the very concept of Mexican cuisine was redefined for you, correct?
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/06/13 08:56:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

Where the very concept of Mexican cuisine was redefined for you, correct?

Oh God yes. To be fair, though, you are not going to be able to find a Delaware Valley-like quality hoagie (which I miss greatly) or pizza on any type of par, save for one pizzeria I've discovered here so far. Seafood? Except for Lent, when it is shipped in semi-fresh from California, forget about it! So, here in New Mexico, that is my one great cuisine claim to fame. And I can't forget about the green chile cheeseburger either. Make it two claims to fame.
Mamman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/08/04 23:43:44 (permalink)
In San Diego's Barrio Logan it's Las Cuatro Milpas, aka "The Green Fly," for a beans & rice mixed together and chicken tacos. In East Los Angeles it's Manuel's El Tepeyac for the Hollenbeck burrito.
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/08/04 23:46:09 (permalink)
i've yet to have any bad mexican food in new mexico.
Cinnabonbon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/08/05 00:21:59 (permalink)
ahhh the Hollenbeck burrito, this was one of my first date meals with my DH. When I was young, my parents rarely ate out. Since we were a big family, it was home cooked meals only. You ate what was cooked & that was it.

Anyway, the Hollenbecks are good. It can feed at least 5 people, big chucks of meat, beans, salsa, gucamole etc. I love all kinds of rice,it's just my preference to not have rice in my burritos.

As for favorites, I judge a place by the rice,salsa & enchilada or mole. My DH bases it on the chili verde, beans & various meats available. Of course he loves my homemade tamales. He should after all that time it takes to make them!
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1687
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/08/05 01:42:12 (permalink)
quote:
Cinnabonbon Posted - 08/05/2006 : 00:21:59
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ahhh the Hollenbeck burrito, this was one of my first date meals with my DH

"DH"......Designator Hitter?
what do you do just call this guy in on special occasions?
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2006/08/05 01:57:34 (permalink)
I was thinking DH = Dear Husband...

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1