Mexican Food Top Picks!

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
2004/11/03 18:29:42 (permalink)

Mexican Food Top Picks!

Ok... I've read enough people complaining the threads are going everywhere but "RoadFood".. Though I personally enjoy reading them and all comments that go with it (I totally, IMO support them), I'll start a thread to bring us back to the origins...

MEXICAN FOOD!

Ok here it goes... I'm a burrito fantatic! BUT, my burro must be covered in a true meat sauce... I cant stand that enchilada sauce (Ranchero as some call it now) on top.. Actually, I wont even order a burro with that red sauce! My original love was from Chicos on Michigan Street in Grand Rapids, MI.. They have since closed... I miss their hot carrots they used to serve as a side dish with any food order (And they would burn munching on them... Probably to make ya drink more brews there)... But again, they're gone now.. Now my new love (and an old lost freind) is the Cantina in Kentwood.. Go thru their drive-thru, order a Cantina Special (Wet) for 5 bucks out the door with meat sauce and your in heaven! Most folk, with the exception being my brother, can hardly finish this burro! They have a good dinner menu inside also, but if ya order a burro, it's smaller, you get the typical refried beans and rice on the side and end up paying more... We have several other good Mexican food joints in town, but this is my favorite!

So I'm curious... What is your favorite dish, where from and why you like it so much? (Mexican food wise)...

215 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 18:45:14 (permalink)
    There are some old favorites that have gone by the wayside, but here is a "short list" that I want when I get a "hankerin'":

Old-fashioned tacos at Nuevo Leon, Austin, TX.
    Carne guisada breakfast tacos at Porfirio's, Austin, TX.
    Burrito Enchilada-Style at Mexican Villa, Springfield, MO.
    El Patio Special (flat beef taco, bean & cheese chalupa, chile con queso, guacamole) at El Patio, Austin, TX.
    Chorizo & egg breakfast (with fried potatoes, refried beans, homemade flour tortillas and the world's best hot sauce) at Joe's Bakery, Austin, TX.
    Huevos Montelenos at Guero's, Austin, TX.

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 19:08:46 (permalink)
    Thanks Bushie! But excuse my ignorance, but what is Huevos Montelenos?
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 19:11:17 (permalink)
    I am really not into Mexican food but there is a wonderful Mexican restaurant about 10 miles from us that we just love. The Mexican family that own it are very caring and lovely people and the food is terrific. They work so hard to have an attractive restaurant with great food. My favorite dish is the Carne De Puerco En Chile Verde. The pork is tender and the flavor is wonderful.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 19:16:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

I am really not into Mexican food but there is a wonderful Mexican restaurant about 10 miles from us that we just love. The Mexican family that own it are very caring and lovely people and the food is terrific. They work so hard to have an attractive restaurant with great food. My favorite dish is the Carne De Puerco En Chile Verde. The pork is tender and the flavor is wonderful.

Any Idea on the name / location?

PS, Happy 1000 Plus there!

chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 19:38:11 (permalink)
    Oh thank you very much. The name of the restaurant is El Azteca and it is located in a tiny strip mall on Rt 108, a few miles south of Rt 70 in Clarksville, MD. Actually, OCDreamer introduced me to this restaurant and she could not have found a better place. (The sangria is terrific!}

redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 20:22:43 (permalink)
    My favorite Mexican place is Rio Grande as has been cited in several other threds and also ranked well by others. I love a good authentic chili rellenos and that they have. Carne Asada, Shredded Beef Tacos, Seafood Enchiladas, the simplistic cheese and green chiles Quesadillas, and tamales done in the husk are amongst my favorites.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 20:43:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Your "ignorance" was the same as mine before I ate it many moons ago. I honestly don't know what the "original" montelenos was, but Guero's calls this "their version", and it's really yummy:

They put one of their homemade corn tortillas on a plate. That's topped with their homemade refried beans mixed with tiny cubes of ham. Top that with an egg over-easy. Top that with another homemade corn tortilla. Top that with shredded queso blanco and their house ranchero sauce (salsa).
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 20:57:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

My favorite Mexican place is Rio Grande as has been cited in several other threds and also ranked well by others. I love a good authentic chili rellenos and that they have. Carne Asada, Shredded Beef Tacos, Seafood Enchiladas, the simplistic cheese and green chiles Quesadillas, and tamales done in the husk are amongst my favorites.

Redtressed... Location please? Doing this the roadfood way! Trying to get the BEST local "Eats, Mexican Style" listed in this thread... Thanks, and the food sounds awesome!

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 20:59:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Your "ignorance" was the same as mine before I ate it many moons ago. I honestly don't know what the "original" montelenos was, but Guero's calls this "their version", and it's really yummy:

They put one of their homemade corn tortillas on a plate. That's topped with their homemade refried beans mixed with tiny cubes of ham. Top that with an egg over-easy. Top that with another homemade corn tortilla. Top that with shredded queso blanco and their house ranchero sauce (salsa).

Thanks Bushie... Being a I think I know Mexican Fanatic, I learn something new everyday! Sounds Good!

redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 22:27:47 (permalink)
    Rio Grande is located of of I-68, Sabraton Exit..turn on Rt 7 /Earl Core Road towards Morgantown WV. Travel about 1.5 miles. Located in a small strip mall that includes Dollar General, and CVS on the left.

RIO GRANDE III -- Mexican cuisine in a festive atmosphere. Monday – Sunday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm. Sabraton Plaza, Sabraton, WV 26508. 304-292-0162.

Also locations in Beckley WV:

Rio Grande Mexican Restaurante
    (304) 252-7488 4006 Robert C Byrd Dr
    Beckley, WV

Charleston:

Rio Grande
    (304) 344-8616 160 Court St
    Charleston, WV

Huntington:

Rio Grande
    914 4th Avenue
    Huntington WV

All have received many rave reviews on various websites. The atmosphere is very festive and authentic, including a friendly and talented hispanic staff. Chips(homemade) and various salsas are included with each meal. The table is also adorned with several hot sauces etc. Price Range is from about 1.99-10.99. A local favorite is the Combo platter which is not ONE platter but 4, two steak size and two luncheon plate sized platters filled with Chile Rellenos, Enchilada, Tamales, Tostada, Shredded Beef Taco, Burrito, Mexican Rice and refried beans, all for 8.99. (at least last I was there) The local paper also often features several 2 for one dinner platters. Margaritas that are to die for come in individual servings or a pitcher. A full line of Latin/Hispanic beers as well as some American brews. I can't say enough good things about this authentic Mexican dining.

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 22:28:54 (permalink)
    My favorite mexican dishes--Huevos Rancheros,Choriso and eggs or Menudo for breakfast---forany other meal---Tamales!!!esp pork--but any thing really---Carnitas!!,Chicken Enchilada's!!and my all time fav--Chili rellenos!!!!!!--of course good rice and beans are essential and with them the meal just not the same---just found aplce in Eufalla Ok---and McCallister to---Adelita's!!!!!
    Best beans ive had in MANY yrs-killer rice---and an awesome chicken enchilada!!!---Bushie--its right as you come off I 40 at the exit for JM"s---execellent $ value too---three tamales-with all sides-$6.50----Combo with rice beans a ghiceken enchilada and a tostada--$5---Janie and got meals drinks-tea-, flan for dessert and a 20% tip for $17!!! Eufalla is rapidly become a favorite Oklahoma food spot for us---next i have to try a place on nthe lake there thats supoosed to have great catfish!!

PS--the service was really good and the food came out freash hot and fast!
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 22:44:45 (permalink)
    Hey, Redtressed, thanks for the info on Rio Grande. I will definitely check out the one in Huntington or Charleston my next visit there.

I love Mexican food. I'll do a better job of recording names, etc. so I can pass them on here. There is an explosion of Mex eateries all over the country now so it's not hard to find good ones.

carl reitz
    Rex Allen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 23:03:52 (permalink)
    My favorite Mexican Restaurant used to be in Chula Vista. "La Fonda del Roberto" but they closed, and now only have their restaurant in Tijuana, BC Mexico. Then I discovered "Casa Maya" on Park Boulevard. But their building was sold, and the new owners raised their rent where they could not make a profit, They are now in a real hole in the wall on Thirtieth Street. Still very good and inexpensive. But a friend of mine just alerted me to a new place he just discovered. "El Sol" on University Avenue at Alabama Street. Just as good as anything I have eaten in Mexico, and I lived there for many years. Whinneing, Rex in expensive, San Diego.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/03 23:45:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rex Allen

My favorite Mexican Restaurant used to be in Chula Vista.

Rex, there was a place in Chula Vista that I used to visit every time I was in San Diego. I'm sorry that I don't remember the name of the place , but maybe you do.

As you left the freeway, you would turn left (this was at the main Chula Vista street at the rail stop). It was a couple of miles down (heading east) on the left. In an old fast-food restaurant building.

IMHO, the best tacos and tortas I've ever had.

Any idea what I'm talking about
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 03:44:39 (permalink)
    If you get off a H st in Chula Vista and go east there is a place called Tacos el gordo. It is across the street from the 7-Eleven. They have places in TJ and about 2 years ago opened in San Diego.

Tacos El Gordo
    The king of Tijuana's taco stands, El Gordo serves up about 4,000 tacos a day. At midnight, folks hang out six deep around the big stand with the bright red-and-white-striped awning and overflow to the picnic benches on either side. El Gordo is equally famous for its fine carne asada and its tacos al pastor (lean, juicy pork slices prelayered with special barbecue sauce and formed into a haunch-shaped hunk that's flame-roasted on a vertical spit and sliced onto warm tortillas). All tacos are 10 pesos (about $1) each. Quesadillas with meat are $2. Open 10 a.m. to 5 a.m. daily. This stand is located at Boulevard Sanchez Taboada and Calle Javier Mina in the Zona Rio
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 05:11:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

I'm sure it's a common name for Mexican eateries, but Rio Grande is my favorite also. I generally order the Burrito Carne Asada and a side of three tamales. I finish off the burrito, take a taste of the tamales, then box them up for lunch the following day. I've learned to try the seafood dishes when traveling anywhere near the ocean. Nothing beats a fresh seafood burrito when it's done by someone who knows what they're doing.
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 07:19:29 (permalink)
    Here in Atlanta my favorites are anything from the hole-in-wall El Taco Veloz mini-chain (I need to get there for breakfast) and the Nuevo Laredo Cantina on Chattahoochee Ave.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 09:42:15 (permalink)
    Tortas shops are popping up all around my town. And most of them are indeed very close to almost all the major interstates, I-70, I-35, I-435 and I-635. For those who aren't familar with tortas, it's a sandwich made on a roll called a teleras or bolillo. You can get everything from carnitas to al pastor on them, usually they all have sweet onions, avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, refried beans, pickled carrots and jalapenos and chile crema or mayonesa. Right now my favorite is Torta Cubana, the Mexican version of a Cuban. Instead of roasted pork it has a milanesa cutlet, ham, cheese and the above condiments. I've never paid more than $5.50 for a Cubana with a torta carnitas averaging $4 or less. Tortas are my current favorite Mexican food.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 10:04:28 (permalink)
    Rex, Mark, Bushie,
    I was wondering when someone would mention the So Cal mexican places...
    Linda and I had lunch a few years ago in downtown San Luis Obispo at a local, family owned Mexican restaurant (granted, there were more than one or two local places there), can't remember the name. It was great. I'm no expert on the genuine fare, so I had the buffet (everything). There's nothing like that in my neck of the woods, that I know of.

Frank
    cedwin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 10:37:41 (permalink)
    I really enjoy huevos motulenos also, which is actually a specialty of the Yucatan and you usually see green peas in the sauce with the eggs. My favorite Mexican food is the posole at Tamales y Atoles Anys in Zihuatanejo,Guerrero Mexico. Posole is the ultimate "casserole" comfort food in Mexico, and this one is the penultimate of posoles; finely balanced pork and hominy stew with chopped serranos, onions, chili pequin, chicharrones, cilantro, botanas, chopped radish, and queso blanco to load into the stew to your heart's content. A fabulous meal! My favorite Mexican food here has been either the pork guisado burritos at our local Pineda taqueria in Minneapolis, or carne adovada (a marinated pork steak in a chili red sauce) in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
    zataar
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 11:25:48 (permalink)
    cedwin, my daughter lives in Minneapolis so we visit as often as we can. Could you post the address to the Pineda Taqueria? We'd love to try it. When my daughter was a student at MCAD she used to like the burritos at Tacos Blas(sp?) Huge servings!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 11:33:02 (permalink)
    this thread makes me jealous because i love mexican food of all kinds but live on one of the worst areas for it...the boston area is a veritable black hole when it comes to this food.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 11:46:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrew

this thread makes me jealous because i love mexican food of all kinds but live on one of the worst areas for it...the boston area is a veritable black hole when it comes to this food.

I'll trade ya one of our Mexican joints if can send us a decent pizza joint!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 11:57:50 (permalink)
    well, pizza we do have, though of course not on the scale of new your or new haven. But the pizza situation is getting better in Boston. I dont know if we have enough to trade though!
    cedwin
    Hamburger
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 12:08:00 (permalink)
    zataar,
    Tacos Blas is another good authentic taqueria in Minneapolis, one of many that have arrived in the last ten years. Pineda is right off the Lake Street LRT station, just off Lake and Hiawatha in what used to be called the Hi-Lake Shopping Center. You can't miss it. Good eating!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 12:18:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrew

well, pizza we do have, though of course not on the scale of new your or new haven. But the pizza situation is getting better in Boston. I dont know if we have enough to trade though!

Hmmm... Thats too bad... I was thinking now that we have 3 Adobe restaurants I'd offer you one of them! You wouldnt have been disappointed either! I wish I could offer you the Cantina, but since there's only one around here, and it's my #1 pick, I have to keep it!

cedwin
    Hamburger
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 12:25:42 (permalink)
    zataar, by the way I noticed also that you are a big fan of tortas. Pinedas serves tortas but I haven't had them there, but I have had them at Manny's Tortas, which are excellent, expecially their "Cubano". Manny's has two locations very close to Pineda; one just west on Lake street from Pineda in the Mercado Central(another place filled with taqueria-style eateries) on Bloomington and Lake, and the other just east of Pineda on 27th and Lake in the old Freeman's building. Good sandwiches!
    zataar
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 13:05:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cedwin

zataar, by the way I noticed also that you are a big fan of tortas. Pinedas serves tortas but I haven't had them there, but I have had them at Manny's Tortas, which are excellent, expecially their "Cubano". Manny's has two locations very close to Pineda; one just west on Lake street from Pineda in the Mercado Central(another place filled with taqueria-style eateries) on Bloomington and Lake, and the other just east of Pineda on 27th and Lake in the old Freeman's building. Good sandwiches!

Thanks for Pinedas location. I know right where it is! We've been to both Manny's locations and enjoy them both. We agree that Manny's Torta Cubana is one of the best we've had. Minneapolis is such a great food town, we never have enough time to eat everywhere we would like. There are always new places to try everytime we visit. Pinedas will be a definite stop on our next visit. The burrito you mentioned sounds interesting.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Mexican Food Top Picks! 2004/11/04 14:31:40 (permalink)
    What I like depends on where I am! Here at home Chezkatie's right, I head for El Azteca & almost always order the chile rellenos, along with whatever hits my fancy. However, I must say my all time favorite goes to a little place named Jesse's down on South Padre, for their Camerones Rancheros, served with ranch beans & salsa fresca. Looking out at the rain we're having here now, I wish I were down at Jesse's now, sipping on a frozen marguerita & waiting for my camerones!
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1