Mexican Food in Atlanta?? PLEASE!

Author
laytonj1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
2005/06/18 23:44:58 (permalink)

Mexican Food in Atlanta?? PLEASE!

My husband and I just moved to Marietta, GA about a month ago from Newport Beach, CA... We have tried about three different local mexican restaurants none of which come close to the great authentic Mexican cuisine in California

Last night was the worst. We went to a place called La Parilla in Woodstock, which surprisingly was voted one of the best Mexican restaurants in Atlanta. I think they used American cheese or some type of processed Velveeta like cheesefood in my enchiladas! I couldn't even finish it. I mean I knew that the Mexican restaurants would not be AS good as SoCal but this is ridiculous!

Does anybody know of any good Mexican or taquerias in the Atlanta/Marietta area? I'm going through serious withdrawl.

9 Replies Related Threads

powwow265
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Mexican Food in Atlanta?? PLEASE! 2005/06/19 01:58:42 (permalink)
    Check out Laredo's Mexican Bar and Grill at 1860 Sandy Plains Road in Marietta. I ate at this restaurant in early May '05 and found it as good as any mexican restaurant I had been to in San Diego or Laguna Beach. Its sort of new and not well known yet.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Mexican Food in Atlanta?? PLEASE! 2005/06/19 06:02:57 (permalink)
    About an hour north, in Dalton, are some great Mexican places.
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Mexican Food in Atlanta?? PLEASE! 2005/06/19 08:25:33 (permalink)
    Check out the Nuevo Laredo Cantina out on Chattahoochee Ave, (NW Atlanta) - don't know how it rates against what you've had but it is good (and pretty crowded every time I've been there).
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Mexican Food in Atlanta?? PLEASE! 2005/06/19 08:33:46 (permalink)
    You also could check out reviews in Atlanta's Creative Loafing paper and/or website.

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Mexican Food in Atlanta?? PLEASE! 2005/06/19 15:03:35 (permalink)
    I also need to point out the Taqueria Los Hermanos in Tucker (4418 Hugh Howell Road, in a Publix-anchored shopping center) - kind of a distance from Marietta, but a pleasant little spot, with a regular selection of tacos, plus a daily special that's always unique and interesting. They also have a great shrimp-corn chowder.

You will certainly want to look up and down the Buford Highway in Chamblee-Doraville. Lots of very authentic Mexican, and Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean (do check out the Creative Loafing mentioned on this thread).
    marlisu
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mexican Food in Atlanta?? PLEASE! 2005/06/29 11:43:51 (permalink)
    I have to agree with Vince on both accounts. I'm from Texas and LOVE Mexican. Los Hermanos is by far the best Mexican (especially for the price) in the area. They've also opened another location in Lilburn at Lawrenceville Hwy and Indian Trail/Killian Hill.

Nuevo Laredo is my second favorite.
    elirun
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mexican Food in Atlanta?? PLEASE! 2005/07/13 13:11:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by laytonj1

My husband and I just moved to Marietta, GA about a month ago from Newport Beach, CA... We have tried about three different local mexican restaurants none of which come close to the great authentic Mexican cuisine in California

Last night was the worst. We went to a place called La Parilla in Woodstock, which surprisingly was voted one of the best Mexican restaurants in Atlanta. I think they used American cheese or some type of processed Velveeta like cheesefood in my enchiladas! I couldn't even finish it. I mean I knew that the Mexican restaurants would not be AS good as SoCal but this is ridiculous!

Does anybody know of any good Mexican or taquerias in the Atlanta/Marietta area? I'm going through serious withdrawl.

Yes: check out Laredo's on Barrett Pkwy Extension. Great food, great mnargaritas!! You must also order their sauteed spinich cheese dip.
    laytonj1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Mexican Food in Atlanta?? PLEASE! 2005/07/13 19:58:55 (permalink)
    Thanks Elirun... we'll give it a try. I'm crossing my fingers:) Thankfully I'll be in California this weekend and can get my authentic Mexican food fix
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Mexican Food in Atlanta?? PLEASE! 2005/07/25 21:13:38 (permalink)
    I lived in New Mexico from 1951-1968 and from 1978-1982. I have lived in NE Cobb County since 1982. We have three types of restaurants which are all called Mexican. Group # 1 is the Taco Bell type places - fast food, basically. Group # 2 are the Mexican run restaurants which are geared to Anglo tastes. Group # 3 are the Mexican restaurants which are geared to the Mexican population. We have enjoyed Laredo, as well as Cazadores and El Jinete - which are all group # 2. I suspect you are more interested in finding group # 3. The best in that group (for all of metro Atlanta, to my thinking) is Supermercado Jalisco in Jonquil Plaza Shopping Center on Atlanta Road at Spring Road in Smyrna. Nearly as good are several Roswell establishments. I would suggest you try El Azteca Groceria on the west side of Roswell Road/Alpharetta Hwy just south of Crossville Road/Holcomb Bridge Road. Also worth trying are Taco Mas and Taco Prisa - both on the east side of Alpharetta Street and closer to Holcomb Bridge Road than El Azteca. A fourth place is is Carniceria San Miguel at 1085 Holcomb Bridge Road (just west of GA 400 on the south side of the road). The availability of English speaking staff can be a challenge at most of these places, but there is often someone available with decent English skills. They are all pleasant and patient as I try to remember a little of that high school Spanish from 45 years ago.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1