Mexican Food in Texas

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4618
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/22 09:36:01 (permalink)
Hey, I'm with you guys on this, although I've never seen a sizziling pan at Taco Bell. They appropriated the term "Gorditas" too I was interested in you're pairing of the terms fajita and taco.
We even had a chain called Fajita's when I lived in Arizona where every entree was delivered on a sizziling platter.
Hopefully that fad is done.

Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/22 10:01:07 (permalink)
Hey fellow Houstonians -

We have gone to the new Mi Tierras on Washington every Friday for the past three weeks.

I have never had better fajitas! I love the little metal boxes (grills?) the food is served on. Last week we splurged and shared the deluxe mixed grill: Fajitas, chicken, jalapeno sausage, quail, carnitas, shrimp,ribs and lobster.

The "tex-mex" type dishes are also very good, but the grill? OMG.

Possibly one of the best meals I have ever had.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/22 10:44:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Hey fellow Houstonians -

We have gone to the new Mi Tierras on Washington every Friday for the past three weeks.

I have never had better fajitas! I love the little metal boxes (grills?) the food is served on. Last week we splurged and shared the deluxe mixed grill: Fajitas, chicken, jalapeno sausage, quail, carnitas, shrimp,ribs and lobster.

Is this one affiliated with the San Antonio Mi Tierra?
Lone Star
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/22 11:48:14 (permalink)
I'm not sure. If we go there for lunch today, I will ask.
Lone Star
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/22 14:43:42 (permalink)
OK y'all, I am an idiot. We went there for lunch and it is NOT Mi Tierra, it is EL TIEMPO!

Anyway, it's delicious!
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/23 07:16:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

It's always fun to come to Roadfood and find an excuse for diversion from the mundane.

I found this article by the venerable Robb Walsh. It reiterates what hermitt said and adds some other interesting history:

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2000-09-28/dining/cafe_print.html

Right you are Bushie. I got my information from Walsh, of course. He published the 6 part series on the history of Tex-Mex in the Press in 2000 and the article you linked is one of those parts, altho it reads a little differently than I remember. It's also the basis of one of the chapters in the new Tex-Mex book by Walsh. There's a link to the 6 part series at the top of the link you posted:

http://www.houstonpress.com/special/texmex.html

It's mostly about Houston (Walter Berryhill, Felix Tijuerina, etc.) but there's a lot about Austin too, so you might find it interesting if you haven't already read it. I like Walsh's writing. The Tex-Mex book is not as good as his BBQ book, IMO, but it's interesting. More history than recipes. I had a copy of the Diana Kennedy book within a year of it's publication but had no idea of the stir it was creating among Tex-Mex restaurantuers.

In the book he adds a little more about the Roundup restaurant, which I guess would be a roadfood classic if it were still in existence. It was a drive-in. People sat in their cars and drank beer and ate. Tila Garza originally started putting some fajita meat on the complimentary (!) botanas platters along with nachos, chalupas, guacamole and lettuce. It became very popular and as customers demanded more of it, she started charging for it and served it on a sizzling comal.

Here's something I can add to the lore of the launch of the fajita craze . I don't know just when Ninfa opened her restaurant; I have read that in 1969, she and her husband were still operating a tortilla factory out of the place on Navigation and it was only after he died that she took the advice of friends and put some tables in the front room of the factory and started serving the foods she was known for cooking at home. The movie 'The Thief Who Came to Dinner' was filmed in Houston, probably in late '72, early '73, and released in '73 according to imdb.com. It starred Ryan O'Neal, Jacqueline Bisset, Warren Oates, Jill Clayburgh, Ned Beaty and others. While they were in town filming the local papers covered their every move. Somehow they got turned on to Ninfa's and went there to party frequently. That's how I, and most other Houstonians, first heard of Ninfa's. Whether she already was serving tacos al carbon, I don't know, but her restaurant became a 'destination' and I'd imagine the Hollywood types went back to the left coast and told friends about the new dishes, too.

Then there's the part of the story that has to do with Cosmopolitan Magazine and their first male centerfold issue featuring Burt Reynolds and what Ryan O'Neal had to say about it, but I'm tired of typing this morning .
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/25 03:38:45 (permalink)
quote:

Hey fellow Houstonians -

Sounds good Lone Star. I drove by the other location on Richmond over the weekend. I've driven that street many times and never noticed it because approaching from the West there is no signage. Valet parking? Is this place expensive?

Have you ever tried Teotihuacan on Airline? I hear it's very good.
Lone Star
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/25 10:40:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hermitt4d

quote:

Hey fellow Houstonians -

Sounds good Lone Star. I drove by the other location on Richmond over the weekend. I've driven that street many times and never noticed it because approaching from the West there is no signage. Valet parking? Is this place expensive?

Have you ever tried Teotihuacan on Airline? I hear it's very good.

The mixed grill items can be pricey, but there is also an extensive lunch menu that is very reasonable. Carne asada (delicious) about 10 bucks. I like to get the Las Vegas lunch, because you get a little variety, a huge crispy taco, cheese enchiladas and some fajitas. I have never been to Teotihuacan - is it good?

The valet parking is optional - the place gets pretty crowded at lunch, and the parking spaces are kind of tight.

Definitely a must try! Ask for Luciano to be your server.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/26 03:23:04 (permalink)
I was searching on line for a website and menu and discovered El Tiempo is Ninfa's family's place! I knew Serrano's had raised a beef that she was involved in another restaurant venture after selling to them but I didn't remember the name of it. Supposedly they're using Ninfa's original recipes. I haven't been to a Ninfa's in at least 10 years.

There's a picture on CitySearch of their fajita tower - beef, shrimp, quail. I may have to change my opinion of fajitas!

Haven't been to the place on Airline. A poster in another forum I visit who has steered me to some good places recommends it; just thought I'd see if you had.
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/26 10:19:36 (permalink)
Lucky me I work near Ojedas, Herreras, and Sonny Bryants (in Dallas). But 2 of my favorite Tex-Mex places are Rolandos on Maple @ Denton Drive Cut -off (on the other side of the strip shopping center from a Herreras. Ledgend has it that that location of Herreras used to be a topless bar that was one time owned by Jack Ruby) Rolandos is a small place wih excellent cheese enchaladas and chicken soup. Just good basic Tex-Mex.

Mattitos in the Lakewood shopping center and also on Cedar Springs near Routh has the best Chili Reajnos (sp) I've ever had. So much so, I don't bother ordering this dish anywhere else.
Lone Star
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/26 11:41:38 (permalink)
You will change your opinon. The best I have ever had. The quail is delicious too.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/26 14:42:50 (permalink)
Washington is becoming quite a restaurant row. You might want to check out the Candelari's opening in the former Mexican place where Washington veers right and becomes Westcott.

I've eaten at the original Candelari's on Bissonnet at Newcastle several times. I like the NY style over the deep dish. They did an awesome muffaletta when they first opened, finished in the oven so that the cheese was melting and the fat in the meats running! But they changed it after a few months; still good, tho. I think it's $9 for a full size one which is enough for 2.

But the best thing is the Italian sausage grinder with onions and peppers. Candelari's has been a sausage maker for years and their Italian is their best; they just opened their first pizzaria about a year ago.

I don't get up to that part of town very often. Candelari's may already be open.
Lone Star
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/26 14:52:13 (permalink)
It's not quite yet. I was by there the other day. Is Candelari's more of a pizza/sub place or is it like a Collina's?

They are building apartments and condos all up and down Washington. I keep wondering where they are going to find all the people to live in them???
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/10/26 15:16:17 (permalink)
http://www.candelaris.com/

I've never been to Colina's. The original Candelari's is a hole-in-the-wall joint in a small strip center. There are maybe 3 tables for 2 indoors and 2 tables for 4 under umbrellas on the sidewalk. They do a lot of take-out and delivery for the Bellaire/West University Place area. The new place is going to be gigantic by comparison.
pf752
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/11/09 22:36:55 (permalink)
Howdy from Dallas, y'all.

I received Robb Walsh's History of Tex Mex from my lovely wife as a birthday gift a couple of months ago. His fine work has given me a clearer perspective of what many of us have regarded as "Mexican" food. This book is equal parts history lesson and recipe book. It is specifically Tex-Mex. As an art form. <BFG>

I think anyone who loves to eat, and loves to cook, should rush right over to their keyboard and do a Google or Froogle search and get their best deal on this book delivered right to their door.

If you like to eat, and whether you like to cook or not, this book is a very good read.

According to me, anyway.
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2004/11/10 22:45:17 (permalink)
Hermitt, Colina's in the Heights has the best pizza I ever had.
slackademic
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2005/08/12 15:11:49 (permalink)
In Austin, there are plenty of good places on S. 1st. La Reina is the only name I can remember (just moved from there 9 months ago and still can't recall.) The others all have good food, but their strengths vary. Gueros on S. Congress is good, but a bit overrated. Stay away from El Sol y La Luna-Yuck! The Austin Chronicle raves about their enchiladas and shouldn't.

Maudies is always good for enchiladas and any place on N. Lamar has good Mexican (especially at the joints where they don't speak English like El Tocolote.) Chuey's is good too.

boilermaker
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2005/08/18 22:26:08 (permalink)
Not a big Tex-Mex fan (I'm originally from S. Cal so I'm more used to Cal-Mex). Living in the Dallas area now, most chains are Tex-Mex.

I was working a project in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas and deove by many wonderful Taquerias. Stopped by Morelia Mexican Restaurant (2707 W. Jefferson Blvd., and there's another on Harry Hines). They specialize in Morelian/Michoican style food (and even have Mocasalsa - I need to get that sometime). Excellent taco plate for lunch for under $7 including drink.

I'm starting a new job next week that will take me into the area more often, so I'll be trying out all these places
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1069
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2006/01/19 12:04:15 (permalink)
hey bushie,i know La pasadita in Selma,it's kind of on the line between Schertz and Selma, and they do have good food.Been awahile since i ate there,but was always happy with the food.
BluePlate
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2006/01/23 18:45:49 (permalink)
Los Asados in Harlingen, on the way down to SPID. Try the Sombrero plate for two. You will have a doggie bag of leftovers equal to what you ate. Helluva midnight snack.
gordon 4414
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Mexican Food in Texas 2006/02/17 18:49:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Texicana

I spent my college years in San Antonio, and I can't recommend the places in or near the Riverwalk area for good TexMex, they simply don't spice it up enough, rather, they tame it down for the tourista trade. For sheer variety I would recommend Los Barrios (has some South American stuff like steak chimichurri) but great feisty mexican dishes, and El Mirador, and La Fogata.

Los Barrios is my favorite place for quality, flavorful Mexican food.
Agree, the river walk is not the place for flavor, but you must admit the atmosphere is fine and dandy.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1