Mexican Groceries in LA

Author
salindgren
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
2007/12/03 05:05:48 (permalink)

Mexican Groceries in LA

Just a little note for those of us in LA. Do yourself a favor and check out these three locations:

The "Super A" supermarket at Soto & 4th, east of the river. Good prices on lots of staples, but a little gringo-ized. Right next to Smart & Final, too. S&F is the best choice for dairy stuff, and eggs. Get the card for these guys. You don't have to carry it, they'll take a phone # for the on sale stuff.

Now, right next to the S&F south of Olympic, just west of Alameda, (and 1/2 a block west of the S&F) there are two produce markets, they appear to be open 7 days/wk. I only discovered these guys today, DUH. Unbelievably cheap, I mean it. No cash registers, no union employees, no stinking badges. It's like another world.

OK, here's another one. There's a crazy Mex-Market on Olympic, just east of Soto, on the north side. Next to the Sears auto operation. These guys are weak on produce, but they do have some weird fruit. But they have an encyclopedic variety of salsas. Any every Goya product. Even the pasta is made in Mexico. It's wild, suddenly you are in Michoacan or something. This place was obviously a Jewish superstore decades ago, it's called "Fine's Foods", and it's in Boyle Heights.

Happy shopping,

-Scott Lindgren
213 219 7160
scottlindgren@netzero.net

5 Replies Related Threads

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Mexican Groceries in LA 2007/12/03 06:06:05 (permalink)
    All of Boyle Heights was a Jewish neighborhood many years ago.

If you ever encounter a Vallarta Supermarket, give it a try.

http://vallartasupermarket.com/la_county_vallarta.htm
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3968
    RE: Mexican Groceries in LA 2007/12/03 21:16:41 (permalink)
    I used to shop at Super A in Fillmore. Decent selection and prices.
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Mexican Groceries in LA 2007/12/06 01:19:34 (permalink)
    enginecapt is of course correct about Boyle Heights. It's kind of odd to see the large Jewish graveyards over there, with the place about 99.99 per cent Latino now. I write about these three for those of us loft-dwellers in Downtown LA. I'll keep an eye out for Vallarta, but these three are really easy for me to get to. There's another chain I have not checked out, Superior. They are big, though, I like the weirder little guys. The ones without web-sites. Or cash registers. Uh, I may have mentioned this, I'm liking the unrefined cane sugar from Mexico, "Zulca" brand. $2 for 4 lbs. The one-off places next to the S&F south of Olympic, west of Alameda have beautiful red ripe jalapenos, which I always prefer to the green ones. Habaneros, too. All practically free. I bought a huge onion, several jalapenos, and a bunch of cilantro for a buck. The same can of refried beans that Ralphs wants $1.30 for I can get at Super A for $.69. And on and on. Spices that are INSANELY inflated, at regular grocery stores are completely SANELY priced at these Mexican operations.
    -Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3968
    RE: Mexican Groceries in LA 2007/12/06 18:09:37 (permalink)
    I shop a lot at my local (Long Beach) Top Valu Market which has a large selection including a fresh deli with carnitas, machaca, chicharones, queso fresco and refritos.
    My chicharones there are $6.99/lb. How much are they in your neck of the woods, salindgren?
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Mexican Groceries in LA 2007/12/06 20:38:27 (permalink)
    To EdSails, I don't know from chicarones. I'm pretty much vegetarian, so I don't know from carnitas either. I know it won't be quite what I want, but I picked up a can of "Hot" Hatch brand enchilada sauce today, I'm gonna try making some cheese enchiladas, with lots of chopped white onion and a little chopped black olive. I'll check on the chicarones price for you. I think it's got to be less than $6.99. You might end up with a reason to drive up to LA.
    -Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1