Mexican Lunch Specials

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2397
2011/04/02 11:42:47 (permalink)

Mexican Lunch Specials

I have one of my cooks in my Cafe doing a Mexican lunch special every Friday and Saturday. The Special for the last few weeks were, Homemade Taquitos, Cheese Ench with a Mexican beef sauce, Pork Adobada tacos, Chicken Fajitas, are all served with homemade Ranchero beans and spanish rice and condiment salad. She is going to make homemade Tamales in a few weeks to offer a Tamale dinner and also able to hook up one Tamale in a Fiesta plate. My question to the Roadfood travelers is ???? have any of you in your travels have any other ideas we could offer to our customers and still stay in the $5 price range. So far we have had good luck with these specials, I'm wondering if I'm missing any good menu Ideas .......Thanks in advance....................PNWC

40 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/02 11:50:32 (permalink)
    rellenos. deep fried tacos. Caldo de Rez. 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7903
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/02 13:41:38 (permalink)
    Tosadas?  Topped with your pork adobo or chicken from the fajitas.

I like when a Mexican restaurant offers items with a rich, dark mole sauce which could be used over the enchildas or added to tacos.

Elote when corn is in season.  Ear of corn slathered with mayonnaise, sprinkled with lime juice and then dusted with salt, chili powder and cojito cheese.
    pnwchef
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/02 13:50:40 (permalink)
    mar52

Tosadas?  Topped with your pork adobo or chicken from the fajitas.

I like when a Mexican restaurant offers items with a rich, dark mole sauce which could be used over the enchildas or added to tacos.

Elote when corn is in season.  Ear of corn slathered with mayonnaise, sprinkled with lime juice and then dusted with salt, chili powder and cojito cheese.

Mar, WJ has a trip report on his trip to LA a few years ago. One of his pictures was of Taquitos with a green sauce. I remember you telling me about the Taquitos down the street from Philippes ...Are those the ones. They look fantastic.............PNWC
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/02 14:13:37 (permalink)
    PNWC:  If they were taquitos and they were in Los Angeles they had to be from Cielito Lindo.  Walking distance in decent weather from Phillipe's.

Cielito Lindo is the premier taquito place at Olvera Street although they can be had at two other locations within Olvera Street.

They are wonderful.  Here is a recipe for a sauce that almost replicates theirs without any avocado.  I use it over chicken enchiladas.

Salsa Verde for Taquitos

1 lb fresh tomatillos (available in most markets where Spanish food is sold)
    ½ c. chopped onion
    1 (2 oz.) bottle Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce
    ¼ c. cilantro leaves
    ¾ c. chicken broth
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    ½ tsp. salt

Heat oil in a large skillet or saucepan; add tomatillo mixture and cook 5 min. or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.

When used for the enchiladas I stir in a cup of sour cream when the sauce has cooled.

Remove husks from and rinse tomatillos; cook in boiling salted water for 10 min or until softened; drain; place tomatillos in a food processor w. onion, Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce, cilantro, salt and chicken broth; process until smooth.

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4016
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/02 14:30:16 (permalink)
    Chili rellenos are always popular. Just make sure your cook has a light touch with the batter. Al pastor is good too, a simple way to take a cheap cut of pork and make it delicious. Works well on tacos or burritos or just on a plate with tortillas, cilantro, lemon and onion, ready for the diners to "roll their own".
    As Mar said, elote. It's the in thing here these days. 

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18448
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/02 14:32:14 (permalink)
    And here I thought cilantro was poison to you.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/02 14:38:12 (permalink)
    Cilantro in its raw, nasty state kills and causes involuntary spitting.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18448
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/02 14:56:21 (permalink)
    Now that sounds  like a good time.
    pnwchef
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/02 15:06:12 (permalink)
    mar52

Cilantro in its raw, nasty state kills and causes involuntary spitting.

I like when a person feels comfortable enough to spit at the table, maybe we should eat outside, so you could water the plants.......................
    pnwchef
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/02 15:21:41 (permalink)
    EdSails

Chili rellenos are always popular. Just make sure your cook has a light touch with the batter. Al pastor is good too, a simple way to take a cheap cut of pork and make it delicious. Works well on tacos or burritos or just on a plate with tortillas, cilantro, lemon and onion, ready for the diners to "roll their own".
    As Mar said, elote. It's the in thing here these days. 

I agree on the batter, when I make them, and it's not often I make them, you could see the pepper through the batter before it's fried. I do need to work on this one to make it cost effective with labor and food cost. I told my Cook, when she makes the Tamales I'm going to have her walk around the building with a 5gal bucket of them yelling TAMALES, HOT TAMALES, like they do in Mexico...............she wasn't amused..........until I told her she gets a cut of the profit.............I was also thinking of making my own Al Pastor, I'm processing two  Black Angus cows April 11th, I'll get some ideas seasoning Ideas from you. I think you did a great job with your Shawarma.............PNWC
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/02 15:26:37 (permalink)
    In Mexico? We've got several Tamale ladies here in the Rogue Valley,
    including one ranch lady who walks up our rural road on Saturdays.
    Most of these ladies have minivans with the giant steamer right in the back, paper plates and hot sauce at the ready.
    pnwchef
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/02 15:30:43 (permalink)
    bill voss

In Mexico? We've got several Tamale ladies here in the Rogue Valley,
    including one ranch lady who walks up our rural road on Saturdays.
    Most of these ladies have minivans with the giant steamer right in the back, paper plates and hot sauce at the ready.

WOW Mr Voss, you are in the back woods. I haven't seen them do that here yet
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1995
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/02 23:03:18 (permalink)
    "Big Ass Burritos"....Beans & rice are a cheap filler and you already have them...meat of some sort...what ever you are long on....salsa & cheese in a 14" tortilla.
    Do you have a char broiler?  You could do chicken thighs.....
    marinate in cilantro, lime, garlic, olive oil, chili flakes, s&p  great marinade for simple grilled chicken.  Tortillas are spendy though...about .30 ea.

"Grilled steak" soft tacos... I just used up some roast beef I had in the fridge for this tonight... cooked a bit of chorizo and onion, added the very thin sliced beef and a bit of hot sauce, tossed  just until it was hot.
    Great flavor and moist, unlike the tacos I got from a truck in Yakima today. The only thing they had going for them was the made to order tortillas.
    Can you get #2 fryers?.... split them, serve a 1/2 chicken, cost you a buck and has good perceived value....
    citrus marinade similar to El Pollo Loco, charbroiled, beans & rice on the side w/ a tortilla.

As Mar suggested.... Tostadas, thats a cheap, quick staple for me. 
    Shredded thigh meat w/ a bit of your enchi sauce to moisten, refried beans, cheese, lettuce, salsa & sour cream.

Flautas.... 
    Puffy Tacos
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10259
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/03 04:15:05 (permalink)
    Under $5 Bucks??? Taco Salad, Tortilla Soup, Chile Con Queso and Tortas.
    Jack in the Box makes a decent Chorizo Breakfast Burrito for $3.00, Scrambled Eggs, Refried Beans, Chorizo and Cheese. Why not you?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/03 04:27:36 (permalink)
    Here's another Idea. Around here they call it a "Flying Saucer". It's your choice, Beef, Pork, or Chicken with beans, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, gaucamole and salsa fresca. It's piled up on a plate in layers starting with lettuce then beans then meat then cheese then gaucamole, salsa and sour cream. Looks like a lot for very little cost.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/03 04:38:48 (permalink)
    Does your cook know how to make  Aguas frescas? If so, it's a good Add-on sale in warmer weather.
    How could I forget??? SONORAN HOT DOGS!!!!!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/04/03 04:41:06
    pnwchef
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/03 09:57:35 (permalink)
    ChefBuba, I bought 40lbs of boneless skinless Chicken thighs two months ago for $40 yesterdays price $57. I'm going to do the Super Burrito, stuffing it with more beans and rice. I have seen my prices going higher and higher every week. Lettuce shot up, I stopped using tomatoes, Cheese is high, the list is never ending..............PNWC
    pnwchef
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/03 10:05:26 (permalink)
    Foodbme, The Torta would work, I don't know about the Fruit drink, I'll have to ask her. She made Chicken Fajitas yesterday with homemade Refried bean and Spanish rice. She added some sausage I had left over in the freezer, it was a nice touch. The Latino people are loving it, I just ask her to make it look and sound like something the gringos can identify so they feel comfortable buying it.................so far so good........PNWC
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/03 11:25:36 (permalink)
    I guess this could carry over to Mexican food:

Do you have self help condiments?  Tacky Squeeze bottles of hot chili sauces/salsas?

Sometimes the customers like "making" their own meal.

I found in some restaurants that the sauce is so good, that the food just becomes a vehicle to be able to eat some of that sauce.

You must take note at Phillipe's.  They give you meat on bread... soggy if you want it.  Other than that, you dress up your sandwich yourself.

Many years ago, prior to the wrap craze I wanted to open (I had better sense) a small place and call it Ethnix or It's a Wrap.    It was going to be simple:

Choice of meat:  chicken, pork, beef, pastrami, hot dog, tofu, grilled, marinated eggplant, etc...

Choice of wrapper: roll or flour tortilla

Filler: beans, rice or some sort of pickled thing

and then to make it mine... or theirs....

The sauce.

Barbecue, Curry, Sweet and Sour, Harissa, tahini, Teriyaki,  Peanut-Coconut, Hot red CHILE sauce, hot green CHILE, Hot, brown and yellow mustards, etc.

The plan:  Give them a basket with an open bun or tortilla, covered with their choice of meat.

Have a station with bottles of the sauce and let the customer make their own.

Just an idea I had when I was young enough and able enough and smart enough to never do it.

I always thought it would be simple and simple "should" be good.

chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1995
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/03 11:55:27 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

ChefBuba, I bought 40lbs of boneless skinless Chicken thighs two months ago for $40 yesterdays price $57. I'm going to do the Super Burrito, stuffing it with more beans and rice. I have seen my prices going higher and higher every week. Lettuce shot up, I stopped using tomatoes, Cheese is high, the list is never ending..............PNWC

I went shopping yesterday, top round up .27lb...provolone up about the same, pastrami up .15, pork butts down, but up from a couple of weeks ago, tri tip, up
    thre only thing that was a deal was a sack of onions for 8 bucks!
    I stopped serving tomatoes last week.
    I want to do some enchiladas or etouffee, but the damn peppers cost more than the meat!
    pnwchef
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/03 11:55:35 (permalink)
    GGEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZ Mar, we invented the word Tacky, if I don't think I'm Tacky enough I call Chewy for some ideas. I think Chipotle Mexican Grill has a good Idea with the fresh ingredients, and tell them what you want as you wake along with counter. It fast and efficient.

Question on Philippes.........Can you order a beef dip dry with sauce on the side ?????????
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/03 12:00:37 (permalink)
    Of course you can.

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/03 12:00:38 (permalink)
    Of course you can.

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/03 12:00:38 (permalink)
    Of course you can.

pnwchef
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/03 12:00:44 (permalink)
    chefbuba

PNWCHEF

I went shopping yesterday, top round up .27lb...provolone up about the same, pastrami up .15, pork butts down, but up from a couple of weeks ago, tri tip, up
    thre only thing that was a deal was a sack of onions for 8 bucks!
    I stopped serving tomatoes last week.
    I want to do some enchiladas or etouffee, but the damn peppers cost more than the meat!

PNWCHEF

I saw the same thing, my 22lb avg top rounds were $2.82 friday. I bought some Pork Butts at $1.57 a few weeks a go...............
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/04 08:21:15 (permalink)
    Carnitas.  Cheap pork cuts roasted deeply to fork tender, all dressed up in soft shell tacos.  Heaven.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/04 08:53:37 (permalink)
    mar52

Of course you can.

mar52

Of course you can.

mar52

Of course you can.

Oh, mar52, if only we could have avatars
    on this site, I'd gladly offer you this:

brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1109
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/04 09:26:08 (permalink)
    For Saturdays you should have menudo!
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Mexican Lunch Specials 2011/04/04 09:26:41 (permalink)

Are you doing breakfast/brunch too?  Down here, breakfast tacos are very popular using your choice of ham, bacon, chorizo and more with scrambled eggs and cheese.  They go for about $1.75 each. Breakfast burritos are easier to make, and use the same ingredients.  Huevos Rancheros along with Migas are very popular and inexpensive.
      I second the suggestion about Sonoran hotdogs and use bollilos instead of a regular bun.  I will also suggest finding a way to do grilled street corn.   
    mark
    post edited by doggydaddy - 2011/04/04 09:28:16
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1