Mexican Super Markets

Author
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1440
2005/08/16 09:16:03 (permalink)

Mexican Super Markets

Last week in Roeland Park KS, the Price Chopper supermarket chain opened a new Price Chopper catering to our ever growing Hispanic population. Roeland Park isn't predominantly Hispanic, but the location is within easy access of largely Hispanic neighborhoods. We live in KCMO, Roeland Park is 7 minutes away, so we went shopping at the Price Chopper this weekend. It was great and I'll be shopping there regularly. The produce was amazing and there is a tortillaria in the store. 3 dozen fresh corn tortillas were$1.79! We have always had small family run Mexican markets, which I will continue to shop at, but this is the first corporately owned supermarket here that is being marketed almost entirely to Hispanic people. Do any of you who live in areas outside of California have major grocery chains doing the same thing? And do you worry about small family run markets being negatively impacted by the supermercados?

16 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/08/16 12:09:54 (permalink)
    Heck, in my area (south of Tucson, 40 miles from the border), even the Wal-Mart Supercenter (and all the other markets too) caters to Hispanics and the parking lot is packed with Sonora license plates. Do I worry it'll put family run markets out of business? It hasn't in the last 50 years. Besides, if it does, I can always shop in Mexico just like so many Mexicans shop at Wal-Mart.
    zataar
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/08/16 12:34:13 (permalink)
    The WalMart Supercenters here also carry a large selection of Mexican items. Most grocery stores here have large ethnic sections as well. But our area is hundreds of miles north of the border, so for a supermarket chain to open a large grocery store that has non Hispanics as secondary customers rather than the other way around is proving to be of interest. Everything about the store is targeted to Hispanics first and foremost. Now I'll be able to buy skirt steak and pompano, neither of which are offered at the supermarket closest to my home. Hopefully the diversity of Mexican restaurants will improve with the influx of Mexicans many different regions of that country. I'm still waiting for a Oaxacan place to open here someday.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/08/16 12:55:32 (permalink)
    By the way, some of the products these places carry are really helpful to us gringos. For example, I live alone but like to cook. Many recipes call for a cup of milk or whatever but when I buy a quart to make something, I usually waste most of it because the lifespan is limited and I don't drink milk. The Hispanic-oriented markets carry powdered WHOLE milk (not nonfat milk) that is really quite good when water is added. Anyway, it's perfectly useable for cooking and what you don't use lasts forever in a sealed container. I love that sort of thing.

Another product I buy is "Sofrito" which is essentially a mixture of tomatoes, onion, peppers and so on but makes it really easy to whip up a batch of "Spanish" rice. Just saute your rice in some oil, then toss a tablespoon or several of sofrito right out of the jar in a pan, add water or chicken broth and cook.

It goes on and on.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4584
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/08/16 13:31:55 (permalink)
    Zataar. This thread,
    http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/index.php?topic=6494.0
    (LANGUAGE ALERT-these are young urban guys),

on KC Skyscrapers,
    was what prompted my thoughts about growing up in Roeland Park, and how I ended up out west.
    Changing demographics abound in the US, good and bad. I'm always excited to find new sources for food.
    Tark's, Our Market here in Talent, has a tasty and complete selection of stuff from Mexico to supply our sizable Latino population. Best are the Fruit Ice Bars and
    a great selection of sauces and peppers.
    Our Winco(Cub Foods)in Medford has a Latino orientation too, especially the meat department, which has many favorite cuts.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/08/16 13:32:34 (permalink)
    It will be interesting to see if this concept spreads here to the Northeast US, as our Mexican population has been booming, as of late. The more common ethnic focus that I have found in grocery stores in DC and New York has been Asian; huge sections with a wide variety of sauces, noodles, produce, etc., appropriate for the large populations of Koreans, Vietnamese, and expat Japanese in the area, not to mention those from various regions of China.

We even have specific branches of Japanese supermarket chains in the area.
    zataar
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/08/16 13:57:37 (permalink)
    I too like sofrito and adobe in the jar. The kind I buy is very high quality, but not expensive. The prices at this store are very, very reasonable.

Thanks for posting the KCSkyscrapers link, Bill. I expected to see the kinds of opinions expressed there, but boy, what a rowdy bunch! I think there will be more culinary and cultural benefits for everyone to enjoy as areas become so ethnically diverse. Now if we could only get a branch of a Japanese supermarket here, I'd be a mighty happy shopper.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4584
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/08/16 14:31:35 (permalink)
    Z, our St.L dan is a moderator over there. Check out this chain(3 stores) from the NW:
    http://www.uwajimaya.com/index.html
    we go to the one in Beaverton, which looks and feels like Overland Park whisked away and set down in Suburban Portland. It's a lot of fun, with live fish, take away food, cooking classes and such, plus it's BIG. Really cool.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/08/16 14:52:28 (permalink)
    There are tons of Latin markets in the Columbus, Ohio area.
    zataar
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/08/16 15:45:19 (permalink)
    Bill, my next door neighbor is from Seattle. She told me I must go to Uwajimaya.Thanks for the link. I could spent a great deal of time with their online recipes. There is a similar place in Minneapolis called United Noodles. And a large Asian supermarket just opened this summer in downtown KC. Not on the scale of Uwajimaya, but very nice indeed. Has it been awhile since you've been back here? It's changing so rapidly. Some of the changes are exciting, others not so great.

After going to the Price Chopper this weekend I heard a very timely segment on NPR's Talk of the Nation yesterday. Michael, a caller from Columbus, Ohio talked about the recent influx of immigrants to your area.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4800644
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/08/16 17:43:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tacchino

We even have specific branches of Japanese supermarket chains in the area.

We've got a whole Japanese mall:

And lots of grocery stores.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/08/16 18:25:14 (permalink)
    Re: NYC. (Manhattan, not even venturing into the boroughs)We have had many "Spanish" food sections, esp. is smaller grocery stores, as well as larger ones. Uptown, in Dominican neighborhoods, its easy to get Latin ingredients, esp. marinades. Puerto Rican groceries (think Goya, rice and beans, olives, etc.) are also easy to find even in major supermarkets. Downtown in Chelsea (where there used to be a large Spanish - from Spain, and French - from France - population) it is also possible to get Latin American foods as well as other imports, including a few Spanish bookstores. And great Cuban coffee. My favorite supermarket buy is (tho more Mexican) Abuelita's Hot Chocolate tablets to mix with warm milk. Mmmmmm.
    I once shopped in a regular large supermarket someplace in New Jersey (all the same to me, west of the Hudson) which had a Spanish/Latin section, a Polish section, a Russian section, a West Indian section (great bay rum lotion), and East Indian section, an Asian section, an Italian section, a Jewish/Kosher section, and an Irish/Scottish section. This was NOT an "international" gourmet "foode shoppe" just an ordinary chain grocery like A&P.
    cyrano
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/08/18 01:06:12 (permalink)
    If you're ever in Houston, Dallas, Austin, or Waco, check out Fiesta. It's an interesting hybrid grocery store/Mexican-style mercado with a great produce section (much of it imported from Mexico), a big selection of Mexican foodstuffs, and surprisingly good international and health food sections. And it feels Mexican-- English is definitely the second language there.
    mammascookin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/08/19 13:30:41 (permalink)
    Wow! Zataar do you have a fascination with Oaxaca? My fiance is from Oaxaca! He is one of the Chatino speaking people. Their way of eating is very unique! (Well, to me anyway!)

We had a smaller family owned store that went to a bigger supermarket type store that is Mexican. The name of the place is La Tapatia. They carry a large variety of Mexican foods and also some American brands. Wish I could put pictures up. I would show all kinds of things!

P.S. Those of you buying Sofrito...I posted a recipe a while back on how to make it homemade! Much better! (Don't get me wrong, once in blue moon when I am feeling less than in the mood to make fresh I go buy some from Goya!)
    Sandy Eggo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/09/12 16:29:57 (permalink)
    We have La Tiendita Mexican Market and many others here in San Diego. This is the place for Mexican groceries. We also have 99Ranch Market (Chinese), Vien Dong (Vietnamese), Zion Market (Korean), Vine Fresh (Middle Eastern) and more. All of these stores are the size of supermarkets.
    zataar
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/09/12 17:33:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sandy Eggo

We have La Tiendita Mexican Market and many others here in San Diego. This is the place for Mexican groceries. We also have 99Ranch Market (Chinese), Vien Dong (Vietnamese), Zion Market (Korean), Vine Fresh (Middle Eastern) and more. All of these stores are the size of supermarkets.

We also have lots of large ethnic markets owned and operated by Mexicans, Koreans, Southeast Asian, etc. And most every grocery store here has a large Mexican section and international products. But the store I posted about is owned by a corporation of white guys who operate a major (for here anyway) supermarket chain, Price Chopper, and decided to tap into the Latino market in a different way. It is making national industry news because it isn't owned by the ethnic persuasion it is catering to. And that is very unusual for the midwest. And very enjoyable.
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Mexican Super Markets 2005/09/20 12:19:36 (permalink)
    Today's Atlanta paper states that Georgia has the 10th largest Hispanic population and the third fastest growing Hispanic population in the nation. Another article was about a Korean shopping center owner, who was developing a Hispanic center to be anchored by his own Hispanic grocery. He lived in Mexicali before moving to the states. We have a small chain of three stores - Supermercado Jalisco - in metro Atlanta, which is Hispanic owned. However, Super Valu is Anglo owned. It is a small chain now - but originally was a small independent in a neighborhood which became predominantly Hispanic. The owners enrolled in Spanish language classes and began to focus on the needs of the new residents. It worked. Their interest in the community is genuine and they are growing.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1